Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the42ndtourist
Sep 6, 2004

A half-dead thing in the stark, dead world, clean mad for the muck called gold

WombatCyborg posted:

Anybody have a good idea for meat substitutes that work well in chili for us vegetarian goons? I want to taste a good chili in my life at some point haha.

Tofu can work pretty well. I used some in a chili last week for a vegetarian friend. I've worked myself into a place where I make a chili that sits somewhere in between the meat-and-gravy texas chili and the beans-in-tomato-sauce chili.

Used extra firm, cut into ~1-1.5cm cubes, marinated overnight in soy sauce, a bit of cider vinegar, cumin, coriander, garlic, oregano, salt, pepper, with a serrano cut up in there as well. Fry that up so the sides get all golden and crunchy - like you're browning the meat - before you toss it in the pot. It'll lose the crunchiness in the chili, but the flavours will stick around.

Other things in there:
veg stock
beer (this was a homebrewed English standard bitter, as that's what I had on tap)
1 tin diced tomatoes - liquid drained off
mushrooms - browned/caramelized/whatever the term is...
red bell peppers
onions - caramelized
garlic
cumin, coriander, oregano, mustard seed, fennel seed, spanish paprika
fresh serrano peppers, ground chipotle
a couple pinches of flour, added early, as I only had about half the time for simmering that I wanted for it to thicken up.

All amounts to taste, and cook for a good long time. Just don't forget to brown or caramelize everything you can because you need to make up for the lost flavour depth from the meat. Mine ended up pretty tasty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU