Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Edit: ^^^^ it's for a babby, dude. :psyduck:

saigon_15 posted:

I did some baby chili. You should too, unless you're a horrible negligent monster.

Echoing the "you should have browned the meat" and the "don't use jar salsa" comments.

If you want a better way to take the animal fat out: chill the chili. It will all solidify on the surface. If you're going through the trouble of removing it, I don't know why you would add some back. The only reason you would want fat in there is for mouthfeel and richness, but this is babby food and you're pureeing it anyway. Just remove the fat, there will be plenty residual for health purposes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

saigon_15 posted:

Because then I'd have to listen to him whimper like a sick dog while all of his 12 inches of intestines tried to process charcoal.

You're browning things wrong.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

wormil posted:

This is a good idea. I've only found them by the bag but I guess it won't hurt to experiment. I just wanted to avoid accidentally buying a bunch of similar, very spicy, chilies. I already have a big bag of arbols.

May I present:
http://www.foodsubs.com/Chiledry.html

This is a great resource that tells you some of the flavors to expect as well as the heat level from various dried peppers.

Usually when I make a chili I like to have an array of peppers. A few fresh green mild type (Anaheim, Hatch, Fresh Ancho), a few red or orange fresh hot type (Habanero, Fresno, Thai Bird, Ripe Jalepeno), a few jalapenos or serranos that I roast on a burner (usually veined and seeded, but I'll reserve the veins for adding heat later if necessary), a good quantity of dry mild type (Guajillo, California, Dried Ancho, Mulato), and a few dry hot type to taste (Arbol, Japones, Pequin).

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Mr. Vile posted:

I've never really been much of a chef, although I do quite enjoy cooking. Since I started trying my hand at it seriously chilli has become my go-to dish, not least because of the fantastic recipes posted in this forum. Trouble is, living in England makes it borderline impossible to get any kind of decent spices (You wouldn't believe my surprise and delight when I actually found a packet of chipotles in the supermarket!).

So, I figured, how hard can it be?

Even getting the seeds for these was an exercise in frustration, but I got there in the end. See also: terrible handwriting.

Oh, and never let it be said that I do anything by halves.

(Habanero, cayenne, jalapeno, poblano, chilaca, mulato, anaheim and some variety called ring of fire that they gave me for free. Google tells me it's a variety of cayenne.)

Assuming they survive my dead and blackened thumb for the six months or so it'll take them to grow and fruit, I'll try posting some cooking logs using them.

Some of those need a steady temperature above 75 or so to germinate, namely the habs. Some people get heating pads or hot lamps. Just a thought.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Jonny 290 posted:

My turkey chili gets destroyed by anybody who tries it, but I do throw in almost a pound of pork chorizo, the fat and flavor of which helps out the ground turkey a lot.

If you're going to add pork anyway for fat and flavor why don't you just use pork and stop with the ground cardboard?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Curry is just a dish with a blend of spices. There are many curries. Chili is a subset of curry. Curry is not necessarily chili. There are curries with legumes. There are curries without.

The "ideal" curry is comprised of meat chunks braised in ground up dried chilies with some other spices such as cumin, pepper, bay. Chili is not a tomato based meat dish. It is a chile based meat dish. Hence the name, "chili".

Chili is short for chili con carne. Chilies with meat. The "ideal" chili is just that. Chili sauce. Meat.

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 11:42 on May 5, 2012

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Grand Fromage posted:

What kind of flavor profile do those chiles have? I'd have to hunt down a substitute. I have a giant bag of dried generic hot red peppers at the moment.

Posted earlier in the thread, will repost. This resource is invaluable for people wanting to know about dried peppers: http://www.foodsubs.com/Chiledry.html

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

The SARS Volta posted:

The 1/4 tsp. turmeric really brings out the, uh

Kenyan Islamicness that is definitely not born in America :v:

edit: in all seriousness, that's not the worst midwest chili. at least it doesn't have cinnamon and other skyline chili poo poo.

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Sep 21, 2012

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Admiral Snuggles posted:

Are you really criticizing the criticism of my criticism? :wtc: Goodbye goons with spoons I tried. :smith:

Um, this is a discussion forum not a recipe gloryhole. Please do not be mad that there is discussion.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

signalnoise posted:

Hell yes I have always wanted a use for sambal oelek

what? how does one not have a purpose for sambal oelek? it is literally chile in paste form. use it to make things spicy.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Think of it like coarse sriracha without garlic and sugar. Surely goons can find this useful since they pretty much put sriracha in everything.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Someone should probably start a "Chili": An original film inspired by a true story thread so this stops happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Anyone duck chili yet? Some stewing duck thighs would own.