Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

barbudo posted:

loving chili snobs.

A line has to be drawn somewhere.

Oddly enough I am snobbish as hell but have been having intense cravings for ground meat and kidney bean chili for weeks now and I think this weekend is the time to break down and make it. I will still refuse the sacrilege that is tomatoes and use the last of the chili powder I made but other then that I am going to take a picture of the back of a spice packet and go from there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

signalnoise posted:

Just think hot dog chili.

Hot dog chili should really never have beans in it.

I think what I am craving is Spicy Sloppy Joes with Beans and cumin. I also want to eat it with runny eggs and maybe some fried potatoes. I feel the need for hangover food but without the hangover.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Chili is exactly one thing and cooking mushrooms for hours is gross as gently caress.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Soooooo sear them in oil separately and add them at the end?

Which kinda defeats the reason chili is cooked the way that it is. I would love to hear a good reason to add them, as I cannot see them adding anything worthwhile to the dish.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Aramoro posted:

Exactly one thing? What exactly is it then pray tell, I mean precisely. I mean beer in chilli is hardly a traditional element.

Chili is beef + chili peppers. Clearly there is room to stretch this a bit but there comes a point where by making it too inclusive the word loses meaning. It is a really simple dish that people keep trying to add unnecessary poo poo in to.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Mr. Wiggles posted:

And beans. Beans are very important.

I also like onion and garlic and other spices and sometimes even curry chili or making it with pork or venison or goat but pretty much there's always beans involved.

I am slowly coming around to beans but only in ground meat or sausage heavy chilies.

And yes, a more accurate statement would have been "beef + spices, of which fresh or dried chilies should be the main focus". Mushroom are still stupid and tomatoes are missing the point.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
"Spicy Bean Stew: A study in Ignorance"

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Comic posted:

So Americans have no say about almost nothing, relatively.

Except for chili.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
I don't know if LBJ's is better or worse:

What kind of name is Ladybird anyway? posted:

4 pounds ground beef
1 large onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon ground cumin
2 tablespoons chile powder, or to taste
1 1/2 cups canned tomatoes, cut up
2 to 6 dashes hot sauce, or to taste
Salt to taste.

Cook the meat, onion and garlic in a Dutch oven over medium heat, stirring, until lightly browned. Stir in the oregano, cumin, chile powder, tomatoes, hot sauce, salt and 2 cups hot water. Bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer, covered, for about 1 hour, skimming off the fat as it cooks.

Yield: 12 servings.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Obama has an excuse, LBJ not so much.

I do recall the LBJ one using suet so maybe the one I posted is a false one?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

The Lord Bude posted:

We should probably keep in mind that Obama has two young children who need to be able to eat it.

Lame weak children isn't what made America great.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

dis astranagant posted:

Is there anything in particular one would want to do different with a pork based chili rather than a beef one?

Make this instead.

http://www.foodpeoplewant.com/new-mexico-green-chili-with-pork/

Not that recipe maybe but the dish in general is amazing.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

BraveUlysses posted:

This looks pretty good I might integate it into my goto recipe for green chili

http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/1998/06/green-chili.html?m=1

I have made this a few times and almost won the chili cook off at work with it. The recipe is kind of all over the place but it's delicious.

That looks good as well, but I do like larger chunks of meat in mine. I lost my hook up for Big Jims and Hatches so I haven't made any in forever.

I am not sure where I stand on the tomatillo question, I have had it both ways and liked it but I think if I could get all the peppers I ever wanted I wouldn't use them.

I keep meaning to look into ordering a pile of peppers but never get around to it.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
"Chili" with a bunch of random vegetables and crap in it is pretty gross too. Some would even say it is more of a spicy been stew and not chili which, oddly enough, is specifically "meat, cooked slowly with chili peppers and other spices".

I am a Tea-bagger, and chili is Obama's birth certificate.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

scuz posted:

Chipotle peppers are always awesome for everything all the time always. Seriously, try em out. You'll have to make the peppers into a powder, but it adds a ton to the finished product. Otherwise serranos are awesome, I just wouldn't go for jalapenos (personal preference).

This is all true but for the misguided jalapeƱos hate.

If I do want to make a jalapeƱo based chili I like to not use smoky or really earthy other peppers so that the brighness of the jalaps stays present. I like the way habs taste with jalaps a lot.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

femcastra posted:

Help, I'm looking for the beans and rice recipe that I think was posted in this thread, it includes pickled pork...I think?

I just bought a whole bunch of pork and I want to make this recipe very much.

I remember this too and would also like to get the recipe. It might have been in the poor people thread?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Sadly too it that it tends to get a little hotter after a night in the fridge.

The fix for this is to eat it with a ton of crackers or corn chips.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

WaterIsPoison posted:

I think the real problem was that I did not have a really strong intuition on proper proportions for each of the individual chilies I purchased. Next time I think I'm just going to chew a tiny piece of each and judge form there on how many to use. I also added some fresh coffee grounds to my powder which added some nice complexity to the chili in my opinion.

Do this over the course of a day or two and take notes. After the first few peppers you are going to loose the ability to taste very much.

I am always making stuff too hot to eat and overcoming the urge to just dump peppers in is an ongoing struggle.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Remove the tomatoes and add cumin.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Your meat chunks look almost like burnt ends from brisket. Is that from the coffee or what? It looks amazing but I read your directions twice looking for the part where you smoked the meat.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

GrAviTy84 posted:

Anyone duck chili yet? Some stewing duck thighs would own.

Think of the spicy duck fat you could skim off the top of the pot.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Kenning posted:

Speaking of, I made a paste of anchos, guajillos, New Mexicos, and arbols for the last chili I made by just soaking them in hot water and then food processing them with a bit of the soaking water. Any ideas on good applications for the leftovers?

Mix it with some honey and rub it under the skin of some chicken thighs and grill them. The flavor is pretty mild and the chicken-ness still comes through. There is a wing place in baltimore that does these spicy, sticky wings and everyone once and a while I try to recreate them.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Kenning posted:

I washed my hands with every non-toxic fluid in my house and nothing worked. Wear the gloves.

That was your problem. You need something toxic, I have found that anything that will remove grease from metal will remove pepper from your hands.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
I think that maybe chili isn't really the food for people who don't like spicy foods? Like, there are many other fine stews you can make with cheap cuts of meat that don't need to be messed with to be enjoyed.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Choadmaster posted:

Wow, this thread is full of douchey spice snobs. Does your chili evaporate from the pot if you only use anchos and pasillas and anaheims? No? Well that was a lovely analogy then.

It's weird right? Almost as if the name of the dish and it's main ingredient tend to be spicy? It's like we name things so that people have a common point of reference when describing similar objects. If you are making a meat stew that isn't spicy, contains tomatoes, corn, or other random vegetables then why call it chili? The name refers to a specific dish. Is a pile of bacon, lettuce, tomato, and mayo sitting on a plate still a sandwich? If you add bread but stick a burger patty in there is it still a BLT?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Saint Darwin posted:

There's nothing wrong with chili that is just a mild burn instead of HOLY GOD MY MOUTH IS ON FIRE. Chili with zero heat is a bit weird for sure.

Hi, welcome to GWC. You should avoid the coffee thread.

None of the peppers being discussed are really above "mild burn". Unless you like cumin a whole lot what other flavor is going to be at the forefront if you knock things back to like bell pepper levels?

And the coffee thread is nuts, I believe I was driven out over doubting the need for a burr grinder as a casual coffee drinker. However now that Grav is into guns I can give him poo poo for not measuring the rim thickness of very round of .22lr individually in order to get the best accuracy.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Hurt Whitey Maybe posted:

Yeah I don't understand all the "mild chili" or "corn" or "vegetable" or "bean" hate. If it's not up to your exacting chili standards, just call it a "chili-inspired stew not to my standards."

The dilution of the meaning of the word makes it impossible to order it in a restaurant without a lengthy interrogation about what exactly they mean by "chili".

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

cornface posted:

Braising meat in the oven at 300 degrees for three hours is totally normal. It isn't like you are launching it into the sun.

Take it out and give it a stir and a peek every hour. If it looks done, don't put it back in. It is less complicated than carefully tending a giant pot of liquid on the stove and the results are more consistent.

Or don't. It's your chili/soup/whatever.

I kinda like tending a pot all day, it is a great excuse to drink beer and hang out in the kitchen listening to music.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Also not enough corn chips or salteen crackers. Or cornbread. Chilli should be spicy enough to make you want some bread-ish thing to eat with it. You don't want it to be too hot to eat but you should have some forehead sweat going by the end of the bowl.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Scientastic posted:

I don't think this makes any difference. It keeps them from breaking down in the tin, but the cooking process will be much more powerful than the calcium chloride.

I've cooked with UK tinned tomatoes, which tend not to be treated with calcium chloride, and US ones, and I haven't noticed an appreciable difference in texture or flavour after cooking down.

Edit: And don't use fresh tomatoes. They will be much less good.

Tomatoes in general are not needed. Also I suggest sticking with only one or two different types of peppers, otherwise the flavors will just muddle together into just "hot". Also if you are using dry chilis make them into a paste, don't just throw them in diced or whatever. IMHO this give a better end product and also allows you to taste and adjust it before you really get too far into the cooking.

I like to brown the beef cubes, then set them aside. Make the paste while also cooking down the onion. Then when the paste is about where you like it, brown up the loose sausage and get everything in there and cooking. Blend the chipotles and their sauce into a second paste and then add that to taste as you cook. It freezes very well and depending on what your main peppers are you might not use much of the can.

Also suggest that you make two small batches rather than one big one. If something goes wrong you are going to end up with 4 pounds of it if you do one batch. Chili does not scale down super well but starting with one kilo of meat should be fine.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Scientastic posted:

I really, really doubt that there will be any noticeable improvement in flavour by using organic tomatoes and cheap tinned tomatoes. You're cooking the chili for so long that it won't make a difference.

This is a good argument against sticking them in at all really.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Aramoro posted:

There's a bigger difference between Tomatoes vs no Tomatoes than Tinned vs Organic. So not really an argument against them at all.

I disagree. If you add enough to taste them than your chili will be too tomatoey, if you add less then why bother at all as they add nothing flavor wise that will come through.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Scientastic posted:

That's a "one true chili" argument. I happen to like a bit of a tomato flavour in my chili. But I put beans in my chili, so you can probably discount my opinion.

There is a one true chili though?

Beans are acceptable in a mince meat chili as they add needed texture. Tomato is never welcome and brings nothing to the dish but moisture.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

fuckpot posted:

And sweetness. Having said that I don't put tomatoes in my chili.

Or just sweet onions.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
My point is that if you add enough to taste them then you are going to be adding a ton of water, thinning the chili and diluting the other flavors. There is no reason to add it other than needing something to make it red in color if you aren't using enough peppers. The dish, at it's core is peppers and meat with some simple spices, cooked slowly. Both of the main ingredients are so strongly flavored that adding small amounts of other crap aren't going make a difference in taste and adding a large amount of other crap results in a dish that is unlike what chili is supposed to taste like.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

You can just reduce it, and concentrate the flavor, use tomato paste, maybe reconstitute some sundrieds. Chili doesn't have to be meat and chiles.

Yes it does, by the very definition of the dish. Is a sandwich with two slices of bread untoasted bread still a club?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Then why bother naming things at all? Why not just call it all "food" and be done with it?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Kenning posted:

Arguing about what is chili is half the fun of a chili thread.

Yea, for real.

Also the bean acceptance is limited to the weaker mince beef chili where texture in needed to prevent it from slipping into becoming a chili sauce.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

chili sauce isn't even like chili because it doesn't have meat and what are you even trying to argue.

No, like the stuff you put on chili dogs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

But I put thick chili on chili dogs, what you're describing is canned chili, like Hormel, or Wolf, or Skyline.

Oh no man, it can be made well and is amazing. I don't know if Turkeybone posts much anymore but the place in Bmore he used to work did an "entirely from scratch" chilidog for their bar menu and the chili (as was everything really) was amazing.

He posted the recipe but I have no idea in what old thread. I think one of the industry ones maybe? Does search work these days?