Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I really regret living in the UK, in Wales in particular, as it's virtually impossible to get any decent ingredients for a good chili. You have to order online for dried chipotle/powder and any other ingredients that aren't premade red "chili powder" that tastes loving awful.

It's also impossible to get whole jalapenos for poppers but that's another story.

I love tequila in my chili. Just a splash of two will add quite a nice flavour that people will be hard pressed to identify. Same applies to cocoa (why more people don't use this in their chili is insane - they're natural partners)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
So last night I made some chilli. Given that I live in the UK and ingredients are kind of scarce since mexican stuff isn't that popular over here, I made do with the best I could:

Dried ancho, chipotle and gaujillo (I have a place nearby that sells these, luckily enough)
Jalapenos
Red onion (didn't have anything else)
Oxtail
Sausage meat
Tequila

Made a powder out of some of the crushed chiles. Used this as the base for the sauce. Browned off the meat, then deglazed it with the veggies and some of the tequila. Once the tequila was mostly evaporated, added the meat back and covered it all up with some good beef stock. Added some bay leaves, a few of the dried chiles to rehydrate in the stock, then basically simmered it until the oxtail was literally falling off the bone.

Didn't look the prettiest but drat it tasted good. Did I do good, chili masters?