Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

physeter
Jan 24, 2006

high five, more dead than alive
Anybody have a good venison chili recipe? Someone just gave me a bunch of venison of varying cuts, from ground to loin. But they're all individually too small to do much of anything with, so I figure I'll make them into a giant super chili.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

physeter
Jan 24, 2006

FrictionlessEmu posted:

Also, roughly what weight of dried chilis should I be using for a batch of chili with 3 or 4 pounds of meat?

I'd say I do about a half pound of pre-trimming dried chilis per 2 pounds of meat. Trim the dried chilis up, rehydrate however (water, stock, beer, etc), drain and puree into a thick paste. Then I just spoon some of that into the pot throughout the day. On a standard crockpot, maybe 2.5 pounds of meat, I usually end up using about 1 to 1.5 pints of paste.

But it's all good, if I get to an hour of cooking left and I have a little paste left over I just throw it in there. :guinness:

physeter
Jan 24, 2006

cornface posted:

I just dump it all in at the start, but I save about two cups of the liquid from the rehydrating. It works good if you cook the chili down too quickly and need to add liquid.

After an accident involving a fridge soaked in chili water and a gf's white blouse I swore never to do this again, but it is a good tip.

physeter
Jan 24, 2006

Shukaro posted:

I'm curious about this as well, what kind of flavor difference is there from ground chili powder vs. chili "paste"?
It's a much more complex taste with respect to the chili itself, meaning the plant, not the overall dish. You will taste actual CHILI in your chili, as opposed to just having some chili that tastes like chili. It becomes an ingredient proper rather than a seasoning. I prefer it a great deal, but it can mean sacrificing the complexity of a good powdered blend for one very powerful note. My opinion anyway. Also the coloration of the dish is often superior, anchos is particular will turn everything into a deep, rich mohagany that I really like.

physeter fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jan 29, 2013