Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

saigon_15 posted:

:words:
there's a jar of salsa in the bg yet no mention of it in the recipe. how is this chili if there're no peppers in there?

e: this is really something you should be posting in the Cooking Children thread

Elizabethan Error fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Feb 13, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Pookah posted:

It is, after all, a thread about cooking chili, and that is a special chili recipe for a very specific audience.
chili without hot peppers isn't chili :colbert:

E: VV I did notice the pictures, I'm not saying he should be feeding his kid peppers(yet), but sticking bell peppers in meat stew doesn't make it chili

Elizabethan Error fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Feb 13, 2012

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

rigeek posted:

You accidentally put beans in your chili dude
let's not turn the thread into a shitfest on the 6th page.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Bollock Monkey posted:

I apologise for the cross-post, but I didn't get any clues in the small questions thread.

I want to put some of these in a chilli and the others in something else, probably a stir fry or something. Which are best for chilli? How much does it matter?
from the post right below yours in the small questions thread:

Appl posted:

I don't know if you'll have all the ingredients for it, but one of the best crockpot recipes involving chorizo and fresh chilies is Irish Pepper stew. It's a light summery dish. But first, lets discuss your peppers. Going from top to bottom, the first one is a banana pepper - it is called that because of the yellowish tint to it and its elongated, banana-looking shape. It also has a flavor that tastes similar to a banana dusted with white pepper with a mild vinegary background flavor, so you'll want to only use about 1/3 of it.

You're green one is your common jalapeno. Before using it, slice it in half and look at the juice and seeds. If the juices are fairly clear and the seeds are a nice shade of white, your jalapeno was domestically grown in the US and will have a milder taste (use the whole pepper). If the seeds are a bit brownish and the juices are cloudy, the pepper was imported from South America and will be a bit more spicy and pungent (use about 3/4s of it).

The red is a Spanish variety known as Rojo perro-verga or just perro verga. You should be careful when handling it because if you rub it too much, the hot juices can seep from the tip of it. This variety is a bit hot, but if you workout, they are great for you since the inside is full of protein. I would use about 1/2 of it.

That orange one may look like a pepper but it really isn't. The French call it du faux poivron. It is actually from the carrot family and is just an example of nature impersonating another object to protect itself. It has very little taste and no heat, but you probably wouldn't eat it because it look hot (use the whole "pepper"). You can tell the difference from a domestic Orange Pepper because it's dirtier than a normal pepper (grows underground), the stem curves the opposite direction than the curve on the pepper, and you see that hair coming off the tip? Thats the end of the root.

Now that you know a little about peppers, lets make some Irish Pepper Stew. First you want to saute off about 1/2 diced onion until it starts getting a bit of color. Add your 4 oz chorizo, and cook it until it is crisp. Strain the excess grease and add in 3 cloves of garlic and your diced peppers (1/3 banana, 3/4 Jalapeno, 1/2 Perro verga, and a whole du faux poivron). I like to count the peppers off as I add each seperate one to the crockpot - it makes cooking fun:). Cook until peppers are soft and deglaze with a 1/2 cup white wine. Reduce by 1/2. Now here comes the Irish part---------> Add 3 cups of Baileys Irish Cream and bring to a simmer (this will remove the harshness of the alcohol). Add 2 diced potatoes. Season with salt, thyme, a 3 bay leaves. You don't need cracked pepper because the diced pepper will take care of that flavor. If you want a zestier stew add the juice of 3 lemons to it, if you want a lighter stew, add 1/2 cup of tonic water to it. This helps aerate the stew and give it a unique texture. Finally close your crockpot and let simmer for 4 hours or until it thickens up slightly. Check your final seasoning and enjoy. :hfive:

:effort:

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Admiral Snuggles posted:

Admiral Snuggles Cheap Fartblaster Chili

1 lb hamburger
1 small can kidney beans
1 small can navy beans
1 small can black beans
1 big can diced tomatoes
1 tiny can tomato paste
2 fresh roma tomatoes
1 onion
4 cloves garlic
2 teaspoons cumin (this is probably the most expensive ingredient if you don't have on hand but get some it will last a while)
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1 1/2 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon chili powder
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1 big can of sliced down the middle jalepenos (sometimes these come with carrots, that's ok, carrots are allowed in this chili)
1 big pot
1 big spoon

1. Put the pot on the stove on medium high heat. Put the hamburger in there and break it apart with the big spoon.

2. While the hamburger is cooking: Dice the onion. Mince the garlic. Cut the tomatoes in half and squish out the seeds (seeds be bitter son). Dice the tomatoes.

3. When the hamburger is 3/4 done. Add the diced onion, garlic, tomatoes. I don't drain the grease from the hamburger, I use it as oil to sautee the veges. Also add your spices: the paprika, cumin, onion powder, chili powder, salt, and pepper.

4. When the hamburger is just about done (you don't want to overcook it because you'll be doing some stewing), and the garlic is turning slightly golden, add everything in the cans. Drain everything, especially the beans, them bean juice add odd flavors to your chili.

5. Stir it up good, turn the heat to medium low heat. Let stew for 45 minutes, stirring the pot every 10 minutes or so.

This chili keeps really well, tastes even better the day after. Makes about 20 servings. If you already got the spices it costs about 13 dollars so this is well under a buck a serving. Great for bachelors or college students trying to eat well on a budget. It's relatively low calorie and high protein/fiber too, so good for someone trying to shed a few pounds and still feel full. Although it will make you fart like a momma grizzly. Leave out the jalepenos if you don't like spicy, it's still pretty drat good stuff.
how do you overcook ground meat? even if you're burning it slightly, that's not really bad.
also, canned tomatoes are fine(if you like that kind of thing in your chili) but I'd recommend avoiding canned tomatoes that contain calcium chloride as an ingredient; as a firming agent, it takes much longer for tomatoes treated with it to break down.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Admiral Snuggles posted:

Just leave my recipe alone. :( it's nummy, cheap, easy to make, time spent by the chopping board or the stove is little.
Why post your recipe if you just :cry: when someone posts a suggestion/mild criticism?

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Admiral Snuggles posted:

Are you really criticizing the criticism of my criticism? :wtc: Goodbye goons with spoons I tried. :smith:
No, i'm wondering why you're interpreting criticism as a personal attack.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

femcastra posted:

Help, I'm looking for the beans and rice recipe that I think was posted in this thread, it includes pickled pork...I think?

I just bought a whole bunch of pork and I want to make this recipe very much.

bunnielab posted:

I remember this too and would also like to get the recipe. It might have been in the poor people thread?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3340181&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=31#post390297488 this was the closest thing I found.

fyi: to search the forums using :google: just bang 'site:forums.somethingawful.com search terms here' into google.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Illinois Smith posted:

you're a liar and a dick
either your soap sucks or your handwashing technique does. the spiciness in chilis is carried via an oil, best if you use something with greasefighters so it's not left on your hands.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

kittenmittons posted:

How about I just call Cincinnati chili "Cincinnati chili" considering that's, you know, what it's literally been called for a century. You can just call the original chili Gods One True Chili if it makes you feel better. loving food purists :jerkbag:.
allrecipes.com is a good place to go if all you want is a food-based echo chamber.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

my favorite part is the explosion graphic covering your face, as if it's already obvious how bad this recipe is and it needs to hide your shame.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

I didn't know mcdonalds made turkey meat, you learn something new every day i guess.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

bewbies posted:

any thoughts on how to improve on this?
use stew meat instead of lean steak.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

bewbies posted:

Actually no, and I think that this is one area I disagree with the thread on.
why ask for tips to improve if you're going to ignore advice given?

Elizabethan Error fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Feb 27, 2017

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Doom Rooster posted:

He was asking for advice about a very broad topic that could have a ton of different angles. Just because he disagrees with one very specific piece of advice doesn't mean that he is going to ignore all advice.

I prefer the typical fattier cuts, but if dude likes his lean cuts, that's personal preference.
not that it matters since it's ~competition chili~ where homogenous crap wins medals, but slowcooking a roast cut is silly any way you slice it.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Doom Rooster posted:

He's not slicing it, that would be silly. He's cubing it, duh.
:spergin:

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

bewbies posted:

The grocery store here has really good uncased chorizo and I figured that'd be an easy/cheap way to get more flavor without having to use lots of spices.
A cheap and easy way to get more flavor is not overcooking the poo poo out of your chili meat this time

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Hooplah posted:

I made a vegan chili with tempeh last night. I'm really happy with how it turned out. It's a hard to cook chili for a vegetarian girlfriend who can't handle even jalapeno-level spiciness, but I feel like I succeeded. It was also the first time I've made chili completely without tomatoes. The lack of acidity was kind of strange and alarming to my Minnesotan palate when I was cooking it, but once the flavors finished melding I approve. Does traditional Texan chili have any acidity to it?

I'll throw my spur-of-the-moment ingredients list down here for critique:

saute in oil first:
1 yellow onion
4 cloves garlic
2 poblanos

after onions go translucent add:
12 oz or so? of tempeh
2 carrots
2 small-ish yellow potatoes

deglaze with a splash or two of bourbon

add paste consisting of 4 dried anchos, 6 dried guajillos, rehydrated and blended in the rehydration water
add spices
add a couple cups soaked, cooked cranberry beans
add about half of a fat tire, drank the rest
a few splashes of tamari, for some extra umami

spice mix, not really measured:
1 tbsp toasted cumin
pinch cinnamon
1 tsp coriander
2 tsp smoked paprika
pinch cracked black pepper
pinches thyme, oregano

I also added enough water to fully cover the beans, which was a cup or less. The rehydrated peppers added a significant amount of liquid, so I didn't even bother opening a thing of stock/bouillon as I had been planning on doing. I should have just added more beer instead but I drank it and wasn't sure if adding too much would impart weird flavors.

I started this on the stovetop, but did most of the cooking in the oven at 300F. Only cooked for like 3-4 hours because I started way too late.
money shot:

It's probably too beany for the purists, but I couldn't have my meat so I needed lots of other protein, dammit
looks pretty good(not that I've cooked tempeh before). some things I can see: add the spices to the oil with the onion so they bloom, and don't add the garlic so early, you won't taste it.
also coriander and cumin are the same plant fyi, so watch that unless you like cumin VV Doh

Elizabethan Error fucked around with this message at 23:12 on May 22, 2017

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Junkie Disease posted:

1/3 cashews
1/3rd dehydrated beans:black,garbanzo, whatever
1/6th cheap rear end sala (i try just about all kinds)
1/6th fake meats(tempeh, tofu, fake ground beef

Add habanero powder:to taste
Add some other chili powder seasonings
1 baby can of that Adobo sauce
1 soy chorizo (or not)

Start with slow cooking overnight dehydrated beans on low, add a few inches of water over them. Caution adding too little water is bad adding too much is kinda impossible.
You can add the cashews too, why not now?

Go to bed

Next morning add garbanzo beans from a can because I think I dreamt that dehydrated garbanzo beans are real.

Stir it up. Add seasonings cover whole mess with fake meats an cover entire thing like it's a lasagna with like 1 cm of salsa (your fav cheap salsa, don't use sala you hate but keep it simple)

Did you remember to pick up that soy chorizo from trader joes? toss that in now.

Add that baby can of chipotle with adobo sauce on top and don't stir it in
Make sure there is enough water in that it's like a cm from the top.

Put it on for like another ten hours on low and open a window your house smells like chili take a nap with a window open.

After a few naps stir up the chili around the chipotle adobo on top and open some more windows your eyes are starting to burn (sometimes I use some ground up ghost peppers now)

Take a cocktail fork and fish the chipotle on top out of the chili because jesus christ eating those make my friends gently caress up a toilet like a litter box. Leave as much of the sauce in as possible though that's good stuff.

20 hours later you should notice the whole pot is turning a few shades darker and the cashews are soft.

Take a half a cup of dark roast coffee and toss it in add like a few tablespoons of agave to taste and you are done!

Its pretty dang good hot, its amazing the next day cold, right out of the refrigerator

I call it Insufferable Vegetarian Chili, It might be vegan I don't know I'm not a doctor

EDIT SPELLING
congrats, you've created Salsa Fake-Chicken.
:barf:

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

coyo7e posted:

I save my "eat pretty but nutritionally useless stuff" for once or twice a year. Usually when my chives get blooming like crazy, and I lightly bread and flash-fry them and put them on top of other dishes. But it's still useless or likely negative, from a both nutritional, time, and energy-used standpoint. How much water did it take to bloom those alliums and borage, and do you actually use them for anything else? Are they from your own garden or someone you know and trust to not spray or hire landscapers who spray, etc? You're literally FRYING those flowers to serve on top of some "healthy" veggie and fish and rice summer dish..?

None of those things I just said have anything to do with chili. So stop with this fancy flower stuff or make a thread for it.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Oils and fats coat the mouth and protect against capsacin. That's why drinking milk helps to temporarily soothe chili burn.
this isn't accurate, sorry. capsaicin is itself an oil, and milk helps with spiciness because it binds to fats.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

celery is a natural source of nitrates which helps build flavour, not sure why everyone is going "ew its green"

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Doom Rooster posted:

I am sorry that literal recorded history upsets you. I assume that we are not going to see eye to eye on this one ever, so I'mma let people get back to hopefully posting chili that they made.
recorded where?
Chili originated in southern Texas, circa 1731.

Tezcatlipoca posted:

This is just laughable.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Carillon posted:

Whelp, I was just excited I made something I thought was delicious and had been called chili all my life, my mom definitely had carrots in the one she made for us growing up, so take it up with her.

never mind the peanut gallery, if it's got meat and chili peppers in it it counts.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Capri Sun Tzu posted:

Can you shut up
funny, there's even less content in your posts vs tezcat's. maybe take your own advice and stop continuing derails tia

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

as long as they're not green(aka unripe) bell peppers vov

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

litany of gulps posted:

So you think that if you saute your spices for 30 seconds or whatever prior to cooking them in your chili for two hours you get some extra nutty aroma. Right. As I said, in a short time prep there's obviously reasons to prepare the spices in different ways. You're gonna tell me here that toasting your spices prior to a long duration boil in a bunch of fat and other spices is going to impart some noticeably different flavor? I mean, splendidtable.org is some strong proof backup for your claims, but...

Getting some nutty aroma right here from these hot takes!
the flavor of spices lasts longer in oil, did you want a fresh shovel for the well you're currently digging?

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Ranter posted:

https://youtu.be/oxnMtQHehhs

A video about making chili in which none of the 3 cooks make chili

all three recipes have chilis and meat :confused:

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

A Grand Egg posted:

4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
2 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
2 medium ribs celery, chopped
¼ cup tomato paste
2 cups chopped seasonal vegetables
4 cloves garlic, pressed or minced
½ teaspoon dried oregano
½ teaspoon dried thyme
1 large can diced tomatoes
4 cups vegetable broth
2 cups water
1 teaspoon fine sea salt
2 bay leaves
Pinch of red pepper flakes
Freshly ground black pepper
1 table spoon curry powder
1 cup shell pasta
1 can cannellini beans
2 cups baby spinach
2 teaspoons lemon juice

Throw it all in a pot for and hour or two.

does the daycare appreciate your soup recipe?