Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
physeter
Jan 24, 2006

high five, more dead than alive
The thing I don't understand about cake challenges is that those cakes taste like absolute poo poo. It's just fondant icing and stale cake cut by a hacksaw. Why not just get a normal cake and hire your local, underemployed sculptor? Cake shows make no sense. If someone got me a big fancy cake that tasted like crap I would be mad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

physeter
Jan 24, 2006

Parachute posted:

Granted, tons of shows do this as a way to try to focus on the "characters" of a business, who in this case, are the most boring group of milquetoasts to ever walk the planet. I'm surprised Geof doesn't fall asleep when making his creations.
I'm usually pretty critical of what I do for a living (lawyer). I look around and see people with jobs that actually matter in some way. Like roofers or mechanics. I push paper around and yell for a living, so I know that when the apocalypse comes I'll be left to starve because I have no real skills beyond these. That's why Ace of Cakes always made me feel better about myself because it was a gang of people even more useless than me. A) it's cake, b) it's not even meant to be eaten, and c) if it is eaten, no one enjoys it. If Duff et al. ever had any appreciation for their uselessness, they never showed it. Making those cakes ironically might have found them some small redemption, but no.

If I worked at Charm City Cakes I'd skip over feeling occasionally useless and skip straight to hanging myself from the nearest cieling fan.

physeter
Jan 24, 2006

Completely agree. If all judges and contestants are willing to pretend that tilapia is some sort of well-regarded gourmet fish, then they have no credibility as far as the competition goes. Next Iron Chef might be decent television but it is the opposite of reality tv and a failure as a gameshow.

physeter
Jan 24, 2006

No Butt Stuff posted:

They annoy the hell out of me. I'd watch a show with Samuelsson and Zakarian as the leads (not judging) any day of the week though.

I'd like to see either of them doing just a cooking show. I miss those shows, where a competent chef would just sort of cook with you in a calm television environment. No wacky props, brass bands, stupid clocks or smug judges. Either Zakarian or Samuelsson would rock that format. The last good one I can remember was Molto Mario.

:italy:

• Locked thread