Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shogun Warrior
Apr 25, 2008

Doc Hawkins posted:

But it's not as funny when he plays good, not-especially-difficult games.

I don't think it's so much whether the game is difficult or good, Arino managed to die a lot in parts of Kirby's Adventure. I think it's more that Link to the Past and Ocarina don't really have the fail -> retry aspect to its gameplay that GCCX thrives on. These are games you get lost in, not games where you die fifty times falling into the same pit of spikes.

It makes me think that the only Zelda games likely to be interesting GCCX episodes would be Zelda II and Majora's Mask. These are the only Zelda games I can think of where fail -> retry moments are a big part of gameplay. The original Zelda might also work out, since the totally open overworld makes it very easy to wander into places where you die instantly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psluuthor
Oct 29, 2011
A game doesn't have to be difficult or bad or require a lot of retries in order to make a good episode. There are various things that make episodes work. For instance, the game might be weird or unique, or it might get the ADs heavily involved, or it might lead to a dramatic climax, or maybe Arino will just happen to be in a mood that jibes well with the game he's playing. No need to overgeneralize based on one pair of less-than-stellar episodes.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Tyma posted:

Cheetmahmen was a huge internet meme in Japan a few years ago, but I imagine clearing the rights to broadcast the game would be about as feasable as clearing the game itself :{

Can a company that doesn't exist anymore exercise their copyright over something?

Heck, I'd do it myself on Local Access if it would get those guys to crawl out from whatever rock they hid under after 1994.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

redmercer posted:

Can a company that doesn't exist anymore exercise their copyright over something?

More than likely there's some random agency in the middle of nowhere that holds the rights to something like that. It's more common than you may think.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.
There's also the fact that the game was never released in Japan (all of it's popularity stems from youtube videos of the emulated game), and in the US, it was an unlicensed cartridge.

GCCX obviously have a pretty nice relationship with Nintendo, and I have no clue what kind of reaction they'd get, if they showcased an unlicensed game. I think they showed a ROM-hacked version of Gradius once, and had to blur out the entire screen while Arino was playing it?

vvvv : yeah, they seemed kind of naive about those carts, though? To the western viewers, they were obviously bootlegs, but to Arino, they were "mystery cartridges" ^^;

Tyma fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Dec 5, 2011

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Tyma posted:

There's also the fact that the game was never released in Japan (all of it's popularity stems from youtube videos of the emulated game), and in the US, it was an unlicensed cartridge.

GCCX obviously have a pretty nice relationship with Nintendo, and I have no clue what kind of reaction they'd get, if they showcased an unlicensed game. I think they showed a ROM-hacked version of Gradius once, and had to blur out the entire screen while Arino was playing it?

When he went to Korea he got an unlicensed game and a couple of bootlegs. They showed those on the screen.

Sweet William
Aug 8, 2009

You wanted the best of the best, remember?

Should we sing about it again?

Tyma posted:

Now, are we talking about Cheetahmen 1 or 2 here? Wikipedia says that Cheetahmen 1 was the featured game on a multicart, while it appears that the sequel (which was never formally released) is the one that the Youtube (edit: or rather, Nico Nico Douga) meme centers on.

In its original state Cheetahmen 2 cannot actually be finished without cheats/emulator witchcraft (also described in the wiki article), SHIKASHI, a rom patch was released quite recently which apparently fixes this problem and more. Obviously this could not be used on an unmodified cartridge, however if some enterprising fan took it upon him or herself to preload the patched ROM to a flash cartridge and mail it to them... who knows? On the other hand, as already mentioned, you run into the potential/likely issue of Nintendo frowning upon unofficial carts of any sort and/or non-domestic releases being featured on television, not to mention the quandary of how many people beyond internet dorks with too much time on their hands give two shits about Cheetahmen 2.

Sweet William fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Dec 5, 2011

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Sweet William posted:

Now, are we talking about Cheetahmen 1 or 2 here? Wikipedia says that Cheetahmen 1 was the featured game on a multicart, while it appears that the sequel (which was never formally released) is the one that the Youtube (edit: or rather, Nico Nico Douga) meme centers on.

In its original state Cheetahmen 2 cannot actually be finished without cheats/emulator witchcraft (also described in the wiki article), SHIKASHI, a rom patch was released quite recently which apparently fixes this problem and more. Obviously this could not be used on an unmodified cartridge, however if some enterprising fan took it upon him or herself to preload the patched ROM to a flash cartridge and mail it to them... who knows? On the other hand, as already mentioned, you run into the potential/likely issue of Nintendo frowning upon unofficial carts of any sort and/or non-domestic releases being featured on television, not to mention the quandary of how many people beyond internet dorks with too much time on their hands give two shits about Cheetahmen 2.

I'd be happier about them having something interesting in the "Weird poo poo Fans Sent Us" pile than having an actual challenge on it. :unsmith:

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

Also if you wanted to send them original, not romhacked carts, you'd be looking at a lot of money. The regular Action 52, which has the first Cheetahman game on it sells for a bit over $100 normally. The cart with Cheetahman 2 on it, which is incredibly rare in collector's circles, I've seen go for over $500 on ebay.

And that's if they work. The carts are apparently pretty shoddy and a great few that show up simply don't work anymore...

DeepSpaceBeans
Nov 2, 2005

Let's build us a happy, little cloud that floats around the sky.

Lava Lamp Goddess posted:

Also if you wanted to send them original, not romhacked carts, you'd be looking at a lot of money. The regular Action 52, which has the first Cheetahman game on it sells for a bit over $100 normally. The cart with Cheetahman 2 on it, which is incredibly rare in collector's circles, I've seen go for over $500 on ebay.

And that's if they work. The carts are apparently pretty shoddy and a great few that show up simply don't work anymore...

You just blew my mind because I do happen to have a working Action 52 cart and never thought of it as being much more than famously terrible.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

DeepSpaceBeans posted:

You just blew my mind because I do happen to have a working Action 52 cart and never thought of it as being much more than famously terrible.

I remember that I bought 3 of them when I was a kid (52 games for the price of one? I'd be stupid not to buy it), but each one was defective. I didn't try a 4th time...

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

TheDingo posted:

I remember that I bought 3 of them when I was a kid (52 games for the price of one? I'd be stupid not to buy it), but each one was defective. I didn't try a 4th time...

Action 52 cost $199 when it was released in 1991 so I highly doubt this. You probably had more generic Chinese multi-carts.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Mister Chief posted:

Action 52 cost $199 when it was released in 1991 so I highly doubt this. You probably had more generic Chinese multi-carts.
I'd just like to point out that what cost $199 in 1991 would cost $315 today. $315 for a single game cartridge. Wow.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

xamphear posted:

I'd just like to point out that what cost $199 in 1991 would cost $315 today. $315 for a single game cartridge. Wow.

A single game cartridge full of broken, unplayable games, no less.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl
Obviously TheDingo was buying Chinese knock-offs of Action 52. I think that counts as "going full circle plus a victory lap"

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

Mister Chief posted:

Nope, there was a shop that was clearing them out for $50. And I didn't purchase 3 at once, I bought and returned it three times before giving up.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

If you're in Tokyo on Christmas eve this year you may want to go to the launch event for the the eighth DVD box set. Details can be found at:

http://blog.fujitv.co.jp/gamecenter/index.html

It sounds like they're doing something similar to the DVD event where they had people hunting for various staff members around an area.

Unsmart
Oct 6, 2006

Doc Hawkins posted:

Yeah I just watched the Super Mario 64 episode and 90% of it was pretty boring. He just breezes through it.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat

Random Stranger posted:

If you're in Tokyo on Christmas eve this year you may want to go to the launch event for the the eighth DVD box set. Details can be found at:

It sounds like they're doing something similar to the DVD event where they had people hunting for various staff members around an area.

Man, I'd love to go to one of those things. :(

I'm looking forward to the possibility of Japan's tourism agency getting that plan to give free round-trip tickets next year off the ground. Visiting at around the time they have a GCCX event would be the best thing.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

miscellaneous14 posted:

Man, I'd love to go to one of those things. :(

I'm looking forward to the possibility of Japan's tourism agency getting that plan to give free round-trip tickets next year off the ground. Visiting at around the time they have a GCCX event would be the best thing.

There actually was a charity GCCX event held while I was over there to raise money for Tsunami victims but I was in Kyoto by that point well away from the event.

I've heard that despite the announcement of free flights to Japan they can't get funding for the project so it might not happen. :(

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Doc Hawkins posted:

I don't know, one of my favorite episodes is Battle Golfer Yui, where he just does so incredibly well that he is clearly enjoying himself and the game and then proceeds to beat everyone who challenges him at the game as well.

It was just such a nice feeling to see Arino finally do exceptionally at a game where it's likely that many people wouldn't have.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Random Stranger posted:

Haha, I may have to go to this. For the even they're having a bunch of people cosplaying as Kachou around Akihabara, and when fans find three of them and get a stamp from each, they go to the head office and get a Christmas card with a message from the staff.

They're also looking for people to cosplay as Kachou.

Of course this is kind of a sad event, because the 24th is the Saturday before Christmas, which is a couple's holiday in Japan, so basically only the loneliest of GCCX fans will be there.

Alpha3KV
Mar 30, 2011

Quex Chest
One of my favorite things about this show (or at least the translated episodes I've seen) is how Arino just will not learn his lesson about celebrating too early. Seeing his excitement quickly turn into disappointment or sometimes even panic always gets me.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Alpha3KV posted:

One of my favorite things about this show (or at least the translated episodes I've seen) is how Arino just will not learn his lesson about celebrating too early. Seeing his excitement quickly turn into disappointment or sometimes even panic always gets me.

One day he'll remember that end bosses always have multiple forms.

One day.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Wandering Knitter posted:

One day.

There's stuff like that, but then there's stuff like the one in Doraemon that hardly anybody saw coming.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
I've got a question(or two) for those in charge. I was sorting and filing my GCCX collection when I noticed that, outside of the most recent ones, season 8 is woefully represented with only 53 Stations being done. Are there any season 8 episodes on the block? Are they just boring episodes? Is it, as I assume, most coincidental that season 8 isn't more complete?

Just curious, by the way, no outstanding requests or demands.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Crotch Bat posted:

I've got a question(or two) for those in charge. I was sorting and filing my GCCX collection when I noticed that, outside of the most recent ones, season 8 is woefully represented with only 53 Stations being done. Are there any season 8 episodes on the block? Are they just boring episodes? Is it, as I assume, most coincidental that season 8 isn't more complete?

Just curious, by the way, no outstanding requests or demands.

No comment.

Also no comment on Arino ever learning to not celebrate before he's actually done.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Wandering Knitter posted:

One day.

I think he's doing it on purpose at this point. Comedy > winning.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*

Corridor posted:

I think he's doing it on purpose at this point. Comedy > winning.

Honestly, I think he'd rather look cool and put an end to a 13-hour long challenge with a swift victory, rather than lose purposely and have to do it all over again and burden the tired crew members who need to catch the last train home for the sake of comedy. Let's not forget, fatigue takes a toll on his mind by the time he reaches the final boss fight -- not to mention there were more than a few times when he patiently waited to see if he was finished before letting go of the controller to celebrate.

But let's not let this turn into a giant debate over what is "real" and what is "put on" again...

zari-gani fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Dec 7, 2011

Shogun Warrior
Apr 25, 2008

Emalde posted:

I don't know, one of my favorite episodes is Battle Golfer Yui, where he just does so incredibly well that he is clearly enjoying himself and the game and then proceeds to beat everyone who challenges him at the game as well.

Battle Golfer Yui was the rare episode where the game was interesting for reasons not directly related to its gameplay. Battle Golfer Yui is a strange concept and Arino's reactions to its sheer weirdness remain entertaining all the way through. I think the game being fairly easy actually helped this, Arino never gets bogged down and has a steady stream of fresh material to work with. I really love the bit in that episode where he manages to get a Game Over in a cutscene.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

LimburgLimbo posted:

Haha, I may have to go to this. For the even they're having a bunch of people cosplaying as Kachou around Akihabara, and when fans find three of them and get a stamp from each, they go to the head office and get a Christmas card with a message from the staff.
Is the stamp thing because they are pretending to be office workers?

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

fenix down posted:

Is the stamp thing because they are pretending to be office workers?

Yeah, I suppose. It's a 'hanko' stamp, which is a stamp with someone's name on it basically. It's basically used in place of a signature. You use hanko for a lot of things, like signing for packages at home, paying bill, and marking documents in the office.

Johanz
Nov 3, 2010
Really really good OP there, loaded with fun information. For someone like me who have watched all the episodes but still forget stuff about certain ADs, the OP post is quite handy!

Benly
Aug 2, 2011

20% of the time, it works every time.
I would also sort of assume that the stamp thing is for pretty much the same reason that things like buy-ten-get-one cards at stores use them: a stamp is easy to use as much as you have to, it's a moderate pain in the rear end to fake, and unlike paper stamps you don't have to worry about whether you had enough of them printed or wasted money printing too many (worst-case scenario you send someone to get you more ink). Presumably the reason for hanko specifically is because that's the style of stamp Japanese people are used to, but you don't really need to dig too deep into cultural reasons for why they're using stamps (like "because they're office workers") - it's because stamps are pretty much an obvious and practical way to handle a promotion where you have to confirm checking in with a bunch of people.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Benly posted:

I would also sort of assume that the stamp thing is for pretty much the same reason that things like buy-ten-get-one cards at stores use them: a stamp is easy to use as much as you have to, it's a moderate pain in the rear end to fake, and unlike paper stamps you don't have to worry about whether you had enough of them printed or wasted money printing too many (worst-case scenario you send someone to get you more ink). Presumably the reason for hanko specifically is because that's the style of stamp Japanese people are used to, but you don't really need to dig too deep into cultural reasons for why they're using stamps (like "because they're office workers") - it's because stamps are pretty much an obvious and practical way to handle a promotion where you have to confirm checking in with a bunch of people.
Yeah I wasn't trying to be a jackass - the only time I've seen ink stamps was for verifying legal documents or scrapbooking. Therefore didn't know whether substituting stamps for autographs was specific to GCCX or a general trend.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*

rdbbb posted:

I'd also like to repost the news of the fifth GCCX book that's coming out 12/15 and will have another blowout of the USA trip.

The show is sending me a copy of this book because my fanart was used in it. (This isn't what Producer Kan contacted me about a month ago; I just found this out this morning.) How nice of them! Naturally I'm looking forward to Abe's comic the most.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

LimburgLimbo posted:

Yeah, I suppose. It's a 'hanko' stamp, which is a stamp with someone's name on it basically. It's basically used in place of a signature. You use hanko for a lot of things, like signing for packages at home, paying bill, and marking documents in the office.

They're also used in stamp rallies, where people go from place to place collecting imprints of various local stamps. You'll find a small stamping table at most good-sized train stations and temples/shrines in Japan, for example. So this cosplay event fits right in.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

I thought stamps were popular in Japan because they send 100+ new years cards so they just stamp their name or whatever as opposed to signing each one.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

There's a real hazard in working on the show where you'll get the game tunes stuck in your head. You listen to the same fifteen second clip of music over and over and over and you just can't get rid of it.

This episode has been a really bad one for that too. I'm going to be hearing that song in my head for weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Random Stranger posted:

There's a real hazard in working on the show where you'll get the game tunes stuck in your head. You listen to the same fifteen second clip of music over and over and over and you just can't get rid of it.

This episode has been a really bad one for that too. I'm going to be hearing that song in my head for weeks.

I've decided to marathon GCCX in alphabetical order while I work on Christmas presents. Which meant starting on the 53 stations episode.

Teeeeeeen miles! Eiiiiiiight miles! :iamafag: