Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ

Kakaricho posted:

In the next episode, the protagonist is an animal. Any theories?
I'm guessing either Earthworm Jim (insects phyla count as animals, right?) or DuckTales.

Knowing my luck, it's gonna be something that never saw the light outside of Japan and will be super obscure to anyone who doesn't know anything about Japanese-only releases.

Edit: Worms are not insects. :doh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Get well soon, zari! I'll try to watch more GCCX (especially the English DVDs) in your honor! :)

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006

Reds posted:

I'm considering caving and buying the Retro Game Master box set. I really want to watch Mighty Bomb Jack and Shiren The Wanderer.

The subs for the original Japanese audio are at least passable, right?
You're doing yourself a huge favor by buying it. Like Gutcruncher said, zari-gani did the translation for the subtitle only-mode while the other mode has an English narrator who isn't as funny/overly dramatic as Kan and still 'eh' subtitles for Arino and crew that were taken from the Kotaku translations (I think someone said they fixed some of the subtitles, but they're still inferior to zari's). Plus, the DVDs are region and DRM free, so you can rip the episodes using the subtitle-only mode, so you can have convenient backups of the episodes in case something happens to the DVD set.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
I finally got caught up with the latest videos (assuming I didn't miss any of the new releases that aren't the Mario Maker one, Vietnam trip, and Kickle Cubicle). Like always, you guys do an amazing job at the translations. :)

Also, regarding the Vietnam trip episode's challenge Return of Ishtar, am I the only one who thinks Room 121 aka COMMON ROOM is a total dickmove since the key and door locations are randomized? I really hate when games do the second spoiler, especially older games where it feels more like filler than anything.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006

Random Stranger posted:

Yes, you're right. It is part of the Druaga series. :v:
Yeah, I guess I should've expected some kind of bullshit between what I know about Tower of Druaga (I've played a little bit of it on whichever PSOne Namco Museum disc it was on years ago, but most of my knowledge about the game came from reading about it online) and watching Arino suffer through Quest of Ki.

I'm also a little sad that Arino didn't have a surprised reaction (I was expecting something similar to when he realized that Nosferatu is really similar to Prince of Persia) seeing that the game was part of the Druaga series after playing Quest of Ki. But, I guess the series is/was popular enough in Japan that he knew what he was getting into before playing.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
I just finished watching the Yoshi's Woolly World video, and enjoyed it a lot. Thank you guys once again for another awesome translation! :)

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
I finally got around to watching the Mansion of Hidden Souls episode. As always, the translation/subs were great, but the game definitely screams early FMV game. I'm kinda surprised that Arino (at least from what ended up in the episode) didn't complain about how slow the game moves. At least he had fun with it, so that's what matters IMO. :)

Also, for anyone who's curious, here's the longplay of the English version. I didn't watch all of it, but I skipped around to get an idea of how the English voice acting was, and it's very early 90s FMV VO.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NWxCx2gxME

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006

Light Gun Man posted:

Does the lid open up to fit in an SD card or something?

I really would like to see Arino play StarTropics. Japan needs to know about that game, drat it.
It sounds like there will be no official way to add games to it. Although, I'm sure someone will find a way to mod/hack it to give people the ability to transfer games to it or play games off an SD card reader they soldered onto the board.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006

geri_khan posted:

It would depend on the quality of the game's translation, but would love to see Arino try The Secret of Monkey Island. (pretty sure there's a Mega CD version. After a little research, it's called モンキー・アイランド ユーレイ海賊大騒動! or Monkey Island: Ghost Pirate Mayhem! )

Imagine Arino taking on insult swordfighting!
As awesome as that would be, I don't know if Monkey Island would work well when the game footage is cut down to less than an hour. Maybe it would be better as a DVD-exclusive challenge where they aren't as restricted on time and don't have to worry about non-challenge segments when editing.

On another note, Monkey Island: Ghost Pirate Mayhem! is a pretty loving awesome name.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006

Kakaricho posted:

Next challenge is Altered Beast.
I know it hasn't aged well and isn't really a great game to begin with, but as one of the few people who actually kinda likes Altered Beast, I can't wait for this. :)

Although, given that it's GCCX, it seems like he'll be doing the Genesis/Mega Drive version rather than the arcade version. That makes me a little sad since the arcade version's ending is pretty great compared to the GEN/MD version.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006

zari-gani posted:

I usually never post pics of myself but eh, I've been revealed on the show now so...
I know I've been super quiet in this thread (and SA in general) lately, but that's loving awesome, zari! You've ascended to a level of GCCX fandom outside of Japan that I'm sure most of us will never get to. :)

Did anyone recognize you as the girl who drew the pictures of Arino and the rest of the staff for various events (like the USA trip, Arino's 40th birthday, and one of the GCCX movie posters to name a few examples)?

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
I finally downloaded and watched the Crazy Climber episode last night. Once again, thank you and great job on getting this great episode translated, SAGCCX team! :)

Part of me is happy that Crazy Climber was only on the Famicom. That control scheme, while makes sense since it's supposed to mimic the arcade game, would be a pain in the butt to wrap my head around if I tried to play it. Also, the arcade version was ported over to the Japanese PSN store on PS4 (I dunno if it's in other territories yet, so any PS4 owner who's interested in it might need a Japanese PSN account and way to buy Japanese PSN store credit), and it uses both thumbsticks to act as the left/right hand controls, which I would think would feel a lot more intuitive and easier to learn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YidkP9Bdjeo&t=1146s
(If the timestamp doesn't work, skip ahead to around 19 minutes in for some crazy climbing)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006

zari-gani posted:

Thanks! When the world is safe again we want to go to Japan for a honeymoon and I can introduce Bob to the GCCX crew. Also big props to the continued translation efforts.

To keep things relevant: thanks to Ray Barnholt for mentioning me on the Retronauts episode about GCCX, because that got me to listen to Retronauts for the first time due to my vanity. I stuck around and liked the co-host enough that I started listening to his Simpsons podcast and now we're married
This is my first time posting on SA in general in what feels like forever, but congrats the wedding! I've been listening to you guys on Retronauts for the past few years now (kinda on and off depending on my mood and schedule, sorry :( ), and I'm happy you two eventually got together and tied the knot. :)

Also, Japan seems like an amazing honeymoon place to go to. My brother and his wife went for the first time on their honeymoon a few years back, and went back for a second trip because they loved it so much (they're kinda planning a third trip once the travel restrictions eventually get better, and even invited me assuming I can go). It sounds like an amazing place to visit going by what they told me and my family.