Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time
A wonderful OP for a wonderful show with a wonderful translation team.

Also, Nakayama has a twitter account too, it's @Poco_SP_Dragon

You guys are the best. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time

abraxas posted:

This lamp, even though being from Japan, is being sent from China and on the page it specifically says it's made for 220V. Kind of weird if the voltage in Japan is actually 100V. Why would a lamp made in/for Japan have a Japanese plug but only work with 220V.
It's definitely built for the Chinese market, which has an A-type ("American style") outlet like Japan but has 220v coming directly into the socket, whereas the "mains" are split in North America and Japan for safety reasons. :eng101:

This is why I couldn't charge my DS in China. :smith: Appliances from other nations can be a risky venture, even if they appear to be working normally. Most stuff with adapters like game consoles and computers should be okay, but stuff without tends to blow out a bit quicker. I had a space heater from Japan that only lasted about a year plugged into an American outlet before it blew out... I figure the increased wear and tear was from the increased voltage.

Edit: Poster above me sounds like he knows more about electronics, I'm sure a lamp will be fine.

Tempura Wizard fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Dec 23, 2011

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time

zari-gani posted:

Was looking through the Game Center CX V book again. Anyone recognize this spot?
:nws:Oh no, Arino, tell me you didn't come to the USA for this.:nws: :ohdear:

I wonder if taking the photo there was intentional for the comedy option?

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time

zari-gani posted:

I like Polysics too. I went to one of the concerts a few years ago. Best $20 I ever spent.
Just dropping in to say that Polysics shows are amazing. Especially the ones in North America where they're not that crowded and you can stand right next to the stage. It's a shame Kayo, the keyboardist, left the band.

That fanart is nothing short of incredible and I may very well turn it into a wallpaper. I'm almost caught up on all translated episodes which is something I never thought I'd have to say!

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time

got dat wmd posted:

hell you'd make partner in no-time given the amount of clicks the vids would get.

Nobody should be making ad revenue off of these except for Fuji TV or licensees. In this case I'd just let sleeping dogs lie, though. At the end of the day it's GamingCX who's doing something wrong, not SAGCCX.

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time

Primoman posted:

I'm surprised he's playing it in english though. They never released a Japanese version?
The Japanese versions released (I have a copy of "Mike Tyson's" for famicom) all just used English for their segments. The version I have comes with a little "dictionary" manual which has translations into Japanese of the English banter. It's weird.

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time
zari-gani, (or anyone planning on watching the live challenge for that matter) is there any chance we could get the fax number for the live challenge while it is going on? I'm sure some of us here would like to send Arino some faxes of encouragement from abroad, even if we can't directly see the action.

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time

zari-gani posted:

I think I'd rather play the Fester's Shock Machine.
I actually saw one of those machines at an amusement auction a few weeks back, I'm surprised to see that a number of these units exist. I was half tempted to plug it in and give it a try. Though I'd rather pick up an Addams Family pinball machine any day, the best Fester-related gaming option. :colbert:

On that note, it's really a shame they didn't have footage of Arino playing pinball in the USA special. During the trip I was kind of considering tweeting a picture of Funhouse or Dracula to Inoko MAX and Kibe saying "FIND AND PLAY ONE OF THESE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD", as though it would have some sort of effect. :downs: The best we have is when he played the Mario Brothers pin on the North Trip series(?). Mario Brothers is one of the worst tables I have ever played extensively. It's so bad that my local arcade can't find a buyer for it so they keep it in for shits and giggles.

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time
gently caress YES, 53 STATIONS SONG

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time
Nice going, Zani!

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time
I wonder who chooses all the music for the show? That was just a small clip of "The Go! Team" when they were introducing Hamaguchi. Whoever it is has some good taste, what with the Aquabats and others played before.

Also wonderful how Arino pointed to Watanabe and Tani, saying that's was where Kan was in the picture.

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time
Don't tell me they're actually going to try for the bonus. You know how that will probably end.

Edit: Kachou NO BONUS

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time
Super hyped for the Go by Train! episode. I remember really enjoying it when I watched it raw a few years ago, especially the crew's competition for the boxed meals towards the end of the episode.

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time
I was going to post a giant :spergin: wall of text about this, but I'll just sum up my thoughts instead. It's unfortunate that Arino makes those jabs toward Watanabe, but considering they spend so much time together as coworkers (over a period of years, no less), I don't think it's truly a toxic thing they have going on. As was the case with Inoko MAX, Arino's already been introduced and is pretty familiar with the ADs before they even appear on screen. We're only seeing a sliver of the interaction, and I'm sure most people, staff included, would think it's inappropriate if Arino just started ripping on her constantly from day one. If anything, most of the mundane (or even pleasant) interaction between Arino and Watanabe is probably edited out, so we're only left with fat jokes. It's partially the editors' faults for going for the cheapest "laughs per minute" value and not "fleshing out" Watanabe as a person apart from the low jokes.

The "politics of fat bashing" aside, I'm of the camp that it should mostly be taken at face value, though. Hopefully Arino isn't such a mean dude when he's not in "joke making" mode, but we can only really speculate.

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time
Random Stranger, is Railfan pretty playable for someone with only passable Japanese? Also I can't tell from the descriptions if it has an arcade-style mode like Densha de Go does... I'm thinking about importing the game if it's not too laid back and sandbox-y.

I figure if anybody would know it'd be you.

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Game Center CX - Fat Joke Ethics Debate Station

But seriously this is actually a pretty interesting derail discussion and it's better than arguing about translations while waiting for the new episode to drop. v:shobon:v

Snot Man posted:

Not in an AD capacity if the handy guide in the OP is any indication, though she does still get brought up occasionally (like in the USA special).
I'm pretty sure she's still on the staff, she did her eye misting thing again during the live special that aired a few days ago. Maybe she's an AP now though, no idea.

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time
:tviv: Holy crap, this thread and the things that have been done in it. My credit cards are at the ready for the triumphant return of western GCCX merch, brought to you in part by members of SAGCCX.

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time

Son Ryo posted:

Like many, many games in the SNES and NES period, MM2 was made much easier when it was brought to America. The American hard mode is the Japanese normal mode.
There's actually not even a "normal mode" selection in the Japanese version, only one difficulty level is available. And agreed, Megaman is much more difficult than 2.

While we're nominating thread titles appearently, I really loved this one from the live steam event:
Game Center CX - Extensive Planning, Immediate Failure
(but the title is fine as it is maybe?)

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time

zari-gani posted:

Well, lemme do a quick translation and you tell me what you think:

Don't take off my school uniform
Being a virgin is boring
Before I turn into an old lady
Take my delicious heart... and eat it
:stare:

Also, what's with these huge (as in the number of members) pop groups?
I understand you're trying to catch as much of a market share with different "types" of girls or whatnot, but after a certain number of members it seems like you'd reach a rate of diminishing returns. The whole pop idol thing is kind of terrifying and fascinating, and I say that as a pretty big Perfume fan.

Thanks for all the great translations, as usual; it's pretty crazy to think where the show has gone in regards to the English fanbase the last year or so.

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time

Sweet William posted:

Or this.

It has now become completely worth it creating that first OP so many years ago. :unsmith:

the best worst derail

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time

Allen Wren posted:

Sweet screaming gently caress. Why is this poo poo what people talk about and not real Japanese bands like Boris or Polysics or YMO or Boredoms or Potshot etc etc etc
We talked about Polysics earlier in the thread, actually. :eng101: zari-gani made fanart, too.

I'd say that most people know there are good Japanese acts as well. The two aren't mutually exclusive. I'm done contributing to this derail, because somebody already posted the Best Thing.

vvv No, they're pretty bad. vvv

Tempura Wizard fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Apr 11, 2012

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time

zari-gani posted:

I started playing Mystery Dungeon: Shiren the Wanderer to prepare for the translation... This game is really brutal. :(
Stick with it if you like it, it's one of those games that has a reverse difficulty curve. The more you help out townsfolk and develop friendships with the NPCs you meet in the dungeon, the better off you'll be on the coming runs. I really love the Shiren series, and as slow-paced as the episodes are, I'm still pretty stoked that they're included in the DVDs.

If I recall, they kind of cheated the system by giving Arino a leveled sword after the first episode. It's only fair that he loses it. I only wish that a rice baby could've turned it into a riceball for him. A rotten riceball. :colbert:

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time

Corridor posted:

gold-fused sword got rusted and
Gold status swords can't rust, that's what makes them special. :ssh:
I think the fact that the game had so many rear end in a top hat roguelike elements actually made it more fun for me. I've yet to see any way in which someone has really broken the game. The randomly generated items just don't give you enough leeway, and there's always the chance something really unfortunate could happen to you and your powerleveled super-sword.

The most memorable Shiren death I've had: a wonderful run only to have a rice baby turn my jar full of eight riceballs into one riceball. I starved to death. The irony is what makes it most memorable. I've had my fair share of bad beats like anyone who's played through Shiren.

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time
:golfclap: You lot have done something here that I never imagined would happen. Simply amazing. It's been said many times before, but thank you for all of your hard work and dedication. Thanks also for running the OP, Random Stranger, it puts my old one to shame.

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time

Hakkesshu posted:

Be glad you haven't seen the animation where that picture originated, then. You would probably have a much different view of Gutcruncher :pervert:
now all we need is some pee-pee

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time

Random Stranger posted:

IIRC it was Yoshio Sakamoto who hated eggplant enough that it became an in company joke. You'll note that he worked on both Wrecking Crew and Kid Icarus.

I seem to remember seeing somewhere that Takahashi Meijin (a.k.a Master Higgins, 16-shot) hates eggplants, and that found its way into Adventure Island as a power-down item. Different company, I know, but eggplants seem to be this strange recurring thing in NES-era games.

Maybe just tons of dudes don't like eggplants. v:shobon:v

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time
Congrats, zari-gani! I'd say it's more than deserved for all of the awesome things you've done for both Anglophone and Japanese GCCX fans! :neckbeard: (Timers, other translators, and Ray, you lot are awesome too, of course.)

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time

zari-gani posted:

This. Plus watching him be so bad at the game and seemingly not understand its system frustrated them. I've seen a couple fans say the episode isn't as bad if you've never played the game before.
It's a million times this. I've played a lot of Shiren, and a big part of it is spending days dying in order to best understand how to handle situations and how items work. Once you've gained that understanding, it's all about building up your stocks and developing a game plan to make to the top of the Table Mountain dungeon, kind of like preparing to scale an actual mountain. Emoto building up some nice swords and items for Arino just takes out the most appealing thing about Shiren to someone who has played it before, that sense of slow progress toward the goal. Watching Arino waste all these items because he doesn't understand how they work is just doubly painful to watch.

Rather than a challenge, it would've been better suited for a season long segment (complete with death totals :unsmigghh:)

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time
It was only a matter of time:

https://twitter.com/arikachopokemon/status/767669000373272576

Arino nicknamed his Koffing "Watanabe"

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time
For those of you who put these bonus challenges in the “extras” section on your media server of choice, this special would be concurrent with Season 20.

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time
This episode is Peak GCCX. The real top shelf stuff!

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Thank you, ant.

Thants.

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time

Substandard posted:

I've been getting back into GCCX after several years. Will plex handle this torrent naming convention or do I manually have to rename every episode? My current stuff is all in an uncategorized "other videos" folder.

Only one way to find out I guess. Thanks for the link, I'm missing a ton of these!

I had to rename all of mine at some point with the S##E## format, but you might want to try messing around with different databases (in the Plex settings) before getting to that point.

For what it’s worth, using TVDB (the default for Plex), you’ll want the folder to be called “GameCenter CX” not “Game Center CX”. That tripped me up for a good while.

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time

fenix down posted:

Can you give a specific filename example? I wouldn't mind getting this going also.

To use the most recent release as an example,

{Plex Directory}/TV/GameCenter CX/Season 26/Game Center CX - S26E01 - 337 - Mega Man 5 (Part 1).mkv

Near as I can tell, it can be named whatever so long as it’s inside the correct directories and contains the string “S26E01”.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time

testtubebaby posted:

Jeremy Parish seems to have figured out how to live off it

He also has a full day job doing copy writing and history work for Limited Run, if memory serves