Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Wandering Knitter posted:

One day he'll remember that end bosses always have multiple forms.

One day.

I think he's doing it on purpose at this point. Comedy > winning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Holy poo poo who drew those pictures of the cast/crew? :stare:

zari-gani posted:

Here's some photos of it

That meat is burned to gently caress. I still really, really want to try it though.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Random Stranger posted:

Since I used it as a title I obviously disagree. They're both shows that are about having lighthearted fun with their topic. There's a lot of goofing around and even if you don't care about the nominal topic of the show it's still interesting. The shows have a playful tone that they have in common.

Naw, sorry but I agree that it's really nothing like Top Gear. If I'd seen the banner ad first I wouldn't have checked the last thread either. I figured it was like some kinda Consolevania thing, where they showcase games and give presentations on them and mess about. Instead it's a dude playing old games and sucking, and giggling about it while the whole crew joins in. And tons of nostalgia for being a little kid right down to an arts and crafts section.

Also while I like to watch TG now and then, Clarkson is a smug right-wing jackass. Arino is the most inoffensive dude to ever host a show (unless you're fat).

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Would it be unethical to scan some of Abe's comic to show the rest of us? I haven't seen any except for occasional shots in the actual show. I mean someone scanned and translated Kibe's entire comic so it should be okay, right...?

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

I guess you crazy kids inspired the TV Nihon guys to get working again.

zari-gani posted:

You are correct. I used to have an affinity towards lobsters.

That's the weirdest otherkin I've ever heard of.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Oh hey, the Moshi-Moshi segment for the awful Monkey/Saiyuuki game starts in this one, right? I'm partway through writing up a TV IV post for that show. :3:

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

I had no idea it was ever a game until I saw this segment on other season 3 episodes. Does anyone know how popular the tv show was/is over there? I can't find much info.

Can't watch this until later, looking forward to seeing him struggle through for the first time.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Kotaku are pretty much the worst. I understand that other games/otaku journalists loving hate them for a lot of shady crap they get up to.

Shlapintogan posted:

And if anything, fansubs do "support the Kacho" by virtue of making the show more accessible to English speaking audiences and getting the proverbial word out, which creates a larger audience overall.

Plus y'know, Producer Kan is internet buddies with the lead fansubber.

zari-gani posted:

I completely forgot about that. And then the article about the event was just... :psyduck: They didn't even send a Kotaku representative there!

What'd they say about it?

zari-gani posted:

I'm still wondering if it's okay for me to do episode 12 or if TV-Nihon is getting on that.

Can't you ask?

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Lock posted:

Kotak, and ESPECIALLY its commenters, have earned at least some of the hate here I'm sure, but it feels like a lot of it also stems from people trying their best to say 'hey hey look I'm not a weeaboo I swear!' It's ok to be interested in Japan guys, many sane and rational people are.

Sadly, none of those sane and rational people write for Kotaku.

e

zari-gani posted:

I'm all right with Kotaku and read it casually. The Japan: It's Not Funny Anymore article is the only thing from there that's really bothered me

Hahahaha what the hell is this poo poo? I'm interested in modern Japanese culture, and I'm interested in the more strange and/or negative things people have to say about it. This sort of article should have been something I'd want to read. But I couldn't even finish this. I just started skipping each section, marveling at how it just kept going and going.

The first couple of points I could sort of understand, even though he took pages and pages to complain about the lack of vegetarian options. The stuff about it being hard for foreigners to fit in, about having to attend company parties, I could understand this too, even though he chose to complain in a horribly obnoxious way and then felt the need to include his obnoxious pwnage of people who annoyed him. But it just... kept... going. On and on. About the most pointless little loving things, that exist in every country.

It's like this guy is angry at Japan for not being perfect. It's very strange to read.

Corridor fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Jan 14, 2012

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Okay, finally watched that last episode. What the hell was with that IT'S FIIIINE OI UWA OUU thing? :psyduck:

Hokuto posted:

It's never been specified beyond being "surprisingly cheap."

We should have a whip-round.

e: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tR21wl3bZAY :3:

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

miscellaneous14 posted:

Ahahaha, as a side-note, the same supervisor I mentioned awhile ago who was already a fan of Arino and various Japanese comedies like that (her knowledge of this stuff is comparable to zari-gani, it's uncanny), did a pseudo-LP of this game and everyone at work got a kick out of it. She has this picture above her desk.

I showed this to a friend and he knew exactly who she was, and proceeded to link me to a bunch of her other stuff.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Yeah, Sasano was the main whiteboard guy. :( Still, others have made detailed dioramas and character profile cards so there is that.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Ofecks posted:

Also, I saw this yesterday :3:
http://youtu.be/txFoaxURoV4 Music and sound effects are from Famicom DQ2, I believe.

This is way too awesome. That cat really wants the exp.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

e^^^ Yeah, I remember reading some fanslated manga once that came with a splash intro page bitching about the other fanslation team of the same comic. Every issue they did had this page.

Haha, it's like Kotaku straight up just hate SA.

http://www.gamingcx.com/gccx/gamecentercx-episode-11-kato-chan-and-ken-chan-j-j-jeff#comment-1164

God some of the people in those comments are annoying.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

jyrque posted:

Maybe that's why. Words in Japanese language can be written differently depending on the meaning so it helps to both hear and read the kanji for a given word.

From what I've heard, this is indeed the reason. Tons of Japanese shows have subs. Without them, viewers might accidentally miss some puns! :ohdear:

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Wow, this is an awesome derail. Stupid America vs. Stupid Japan, WHO WILL WIN

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

I thought the egg noodles looked pretty good. Dunno about the red bean drink though.

Obeast posted:

I don't know why, but I didn't feel like I was enjoying the Flashback episode as much as I should have. It had nothing to do with the translation (you guys did a great job as always), but I think it felt like they cut out a lot of the stuff in editing, especially near the beginning of the game. But, to be fair, I never actually played Flashback, so I didn't connect with the game that much, and I've been having kind of an off night tonight (probably because school starts tomorrow/today), so maybe it's just me. :shobon:

I have played Flashback and you're right. All of the story cutscenes were cut. It's loving weird. It's a really fun interesting game, but the runthrough of that was kinda boring. Even a brief summary via voiceover would have been good. I dunno if the GCCX director was just terrible, or if the J version really did remove all the cutscenes for some reason.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

"Western games are odd!" *plays Japanese game about a kindergartener slinging her way around a screen with a rubber band to avoid giant bouncing fish*

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

zari-gani posted:

Got contacted by the producer again; all I can say is I'm looking forward to the upcoming live broadcast very much now.

When is iiiiiit

Also you are now obliged to record the entire thing. All of it. No matter how many hours.

ALL
OF
IT

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Nahxela posted:

Zari-Gani, next season's AD! :dance:

I would seriously flip out if that was true.

Being an AD seems like a pretty poo poo job, honestly. Remember Urakawa and his Adventure Island slog?

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Man, Kibe's face when they were all told that Arino missed his train stop. He just looks so disgusted. "You've got to be loving kidding me."

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Nipponophile posted:

Long story short: Lots of work has been done already. More work needs to be done.

I have all kinds of excuses as to why it's taken this long, but most of them are terrible, so I'll spare you those. It should be out soon, for a given value of soon.

I guess I'm out of the loop, what are you talking about here?

Xik posted:

I remember the eps where Arino first started doing that. "I'm still waiting for someone to do a manga about me!" I guess Kibe took pity.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Kikka posted:

I've binged through all the episodes of this show. For some reason I like the Tamage segments the most, it's just fun to see Arino go around and try to win cheap prizes from game machines.

Tamage's my favourite too. And you get to see the staff a lot more. Sucks that they aren't in the DVDs.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

redmercer posted:

They found a game center/onsen that actually has the machines in the bath. Arino loses his towel at one point.

I'm still :stare: from that episode of SMB3 where he takes Sasano and Toujima to the baths. They're all just sitting there, loving naked, with tiny towels over their junk. Sasano and Touji look so incredibly awkward and say nothing the whole time. How did he even convince them do to that...

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Kirall posted:

That whole "aaaagh nudity" thing seems to be an American thing. I'm Finnish, and in here nudity isn't at all considered taboo. We go to the sauna naked, even with strangers of the opposite sex sometimes. Y'all are weird.

I'm Australian.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Grawl posted:

I guess I'm missing the humour in asking a random woman for her cup size over the phone other than it being perverted and weird. Then again my nose doesn't spray blood when I see a woman, so what do I know.

Arino is a giant perv whenever a woman shows up. I guess in Japan (and to SA nerds) its hilarious, I just kinda react with :stare: or a facepalm. That bit where he starts screaming MOE! MOE! MOE! to some poor girl at the Tokyo e3 equivalent was one of the worst.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Lock posted:

I'll be happy when people stop thinking Japan = perverts ALL OF THEM PERVERTS, no need to overreact. Also yeah how 'bout them SA nerds amirite.

Maybe you missed the part where everyone else in this thread is saying they think it's loving hilarious, and also where various people have said that perviness is common in Japanese comedy.

But keep defending Japan's honour from ignorant fucks like me, champ.

e: Sorry, I'm crabby today. But come on, seriously. :(

Corridor fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Jan 31, 2012

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Uh. Why is everyone jumping on me about this? It weirds me out that Arino periodically acts like a giant perv. Yes I know it's a joke. It's still kinda creepy. I can think these things and still enjoy the show.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Das_Ubermike posted:

Back On-Topic. I really could have gone without seeing Arino pantsless...again. Still a couple of really solid episodes back to back. Thanks SA-Team. You're the reason I paid my 10 bucks.

At least he's not sensually fondling the penis-lamp anymore. :stare:

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Bocc Kob posted:

Aha! I've been looking for the Ring Ring Tactics song for a couple days, thinking "Monkey Magic" was just the show Gandhara was used on when they stuck the two together. Funk rules.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHrtHBgbegQ

It kind of is. Godeigo's OST for Monkey Magic was at number #1 in Japan for a while, back when it was released. Most of the songs were never played in their entirety on the show.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

GidgetNomates posted:

Even though I love Ring Ring Tactics in general, my favorite part of it is hearing WHACHHHYYAAAAAAHHHHH!!!!.

I love that show so much.

I posted this earlier, but I actually made a thread about it in TV IV...

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3461106

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Bocc Kob posted:

That guy with the pointy ears and hat is one of my favorite actors. :aaa:

Nishida is apparently one of Japan's foremost actors. I've been meaning to track down more stuff that he's in, the dude is amazing.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Random Stranger posted:

I know we have the goon tracker out there

I didn't :stare:

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Silentman0 posted:

http://www.alluvion.org/

Huh, I see. I'm surprised there's not more stuff up there, really.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Kikka posted:

I like seeing Arino beat western games. It always makes me smile when the narrator describes games like Prince of Persia or Out of This World with "strange", "weird" or "unique".

And then he goes on to play a Japanese game about two comedians in a world of poop.

quakster posted:

Arino obviously needs to play Abe's Oddysee to keep up the illusion.

I just finished this game a week ago. Ended up using save states and it was still tear-your-hair-out frustrating. I remember I actually beat it as a child, gently caress knows where I found the patience.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Gutcruncher posted:

Didnt you see? Arino shocked him and he was never the same again. I cant believe they were able to show such a violent act on TV.

God that guy was annoying.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Crotch Bat posted:

Abe is very outgoing and personable.

He is? I haven't watched the episode yet but he always stuck me as kinda camera-shy (ironically). Whenever they stuck him in front of the thing he did the bare minimum of speaking.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

zari-gani posted:

according to an interview I read in their latest book, they're not going to do Abe's food booth again because they ended up not being able to break even with that venture.

HWHAT

The only possible reason is that Abe is just too intimidatingly macho for all those shy cringing nerds. I would eat the hell out of anything Abe made. And I mean that in the creepiest way possible.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Kiranamos posted:

Dude, you seriously have a problem concerning female AD Takahashi.

Speaking of which are there any Sasano vids left to be subbed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

I don't like Nakayama. :( He's so awkward and shy, I used to be just like that and it's painful to watch. Even if he is kinda out of his shell now with the seminude wrestling and public singing. Sorry Nakayama.

In Sasano's absence, Kibe and Abe are my favourites.