Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Kakaricho posted:

I'd be as if someone had the last name Cooper and I changed it to "barrel maker".

Wait, so it's not Anderson Barrel Maker in Japan?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
Link to the Past is the only bad one I can remember. There's just too much content in that game and they blow through really quickly.

But I really enjoy Contra. That's a great Inoko MAX moment.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

rdbbb posted:

just careful where you swing the words "give up!"

Clearly, you need a twitter account where you can go "Mainstream Media gets it wrong again. I still like GCCX. Sad!"

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Wasn't Parappa one of the shortest challenges in the show's history?

The best was that Ninja game on the Turbo Grafx 16 that he beat before lunch, and they didn't know what to do.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Beyond the obvious it depends heavily, something I'm curious about is how long does it take to do just the translation.

I'm guessing for a normal, non-quiz game episode, would the range of 25-30 hours be way too high or just right?

I know it depends on the number of references, the game being played, on screen text, and all that.

I'm just curious. I rarely hear about the nuts and bolts of translation.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Jakespeare posted:

So, what's so terrible about this Athena game anyway? Didn't Arino already do an Athena challenge on the nes awhile back?

It is the most incomprehensible game that was officially released for the NES. It's like a fever dream. You take a ton of damage, fight horribly ugly enemies, and just start spinning around when you die.

Aside from the graphics, it actually was a pretty accurate arcade port. They both suck and are both beyond human understanding.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

I took a look at his Twitter feed, and I've seen the N word at least twice, so yeah. I'd be wary of his work if this is how he presents himself.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

univbee posted:

Comes out for Home Physical Release in Japan in 2 days, which is weird since the 4K UHD disc is the same disc that was released in North America a month ago (Japanese audio and subs are on the disc), something Disney has been been doing with its 4K releases.

It doesn't seem that weird, since they need to print covers, and depending on marketing, they might want to time it right.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

How do I watch the Goose Canyon videos using PS3 media center with the subtitles? None of the options in the transcode menu works.

Or do I need to use another XBMC application? Is it time to move on?

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

I'm using PS3 Media Center on Windows 10 to stream to my PS4.

I knew for a while this was the way to do things, but time moves on, I know.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

makere posted:

Go for Plex, there's a native client for PS4 and you can also stream over the internet to nearly anything.

I tried Plex... and the results...

Well, apparently, it thinks M*A*S*H is Breaking Bad and Pokemon.

Game Center CX is matched as Top Gear, which I guess makes sense.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Lifespan posted:

3) Shocking Videos MAX

These ones are so great. Showing goofy 8-bit deaths in Inoue's tiny apartment and trying to "horrify" Arino on what they would actually look like in real life.

Also, Inoue just has a certain charm about him that just makes these moments so goofy. And he has such great chemistry with Arino, and it's great to watch him get needled by his boss.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Kakaricho posted:

The big news out of the 5-hour live show was that Nakayama got married!

That's great to hear!

I've been wondering, what the ADs have been up to. I know Tojima went on to be a producer, but I can't find anything about his career. I found one movie from a year or two ago where he was credited as a producer, but that's it.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Is there a discord or something for this thread? Given the potential for a forum collapse, I'd like to know where I can talk about the kacho.

Aside from with everyone I meet.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Man, that's sad to hear about Inoko MAX. I guess somebody really liked him, because he kept being involved in the show and seem to have good rapport with Arino, but maybe they let him back because of pity.

But then again, I did rewatch an earlier episode with him and then a later episode, and yeah, he looks like he put more miles on during the years than the average person does.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

It's a shame they couldn't license more episodes in North America. The DVD set was like 8 years ago, and during that time, how many people fell in love with the show?

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Stefan Prodan posted:

I've been having issues getting the subtitles to work with the GooseCanyon releases, are they different from the ones that zarigani et al put out before as far as encoding and stuff? Do I need to do anything different?

They won't work at all on air video HD to my ipad when they did for the older ones

I believe so. I changed from PS3 media server to Universal Media Server, and it reads the subtitles just fine.

So you might need to update your video player.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

xamphear posted:

Is there a reason you guys aren't just using Plex?

I tried Plex, but you need your files set up just so, or else it doesn't work right, since it has aggressive content matching. So it won't just take what you have and spit it back at you.

And yeah, I could reorganize my files, or I could use another application that doesn't try to be smart. I hate it when software tries to be smart, since that's when it does the stupidest things ever.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GPGhcTKIMU

In case anyone is interested - the Psycho Soldier song was included in the sequel to Athena, Psycho Soldier. And they did an English version for the US... and it's um...

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Fred is on posted:

Yeah, I won't deny that it's a bit of looking a gift horse in the mouth on my part. Still, I'm extra glad that GooseCanyon took the time to brush the horse's teeth!

I don't think it's wrong to criticize, or provide critical feedback.

Stuff like that does make the show harder to watch, especially since given the topic, there's a ton of loan words. It's possible to be thankful and critical.

Like, my friend cooked me dinner. I am thankful for that sweet gesture.

My friend also severely undercooked the chicken. I am critical of the attempted food poisoning.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Watch it, you're going to be at the bank, someone is going to ask to see a Kogawa-san, and 20 people are going to look up.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Yeah, there's a lot of images in that game that are... uh interesting from an American perspective. But you know, different cultures and times.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

I would love to see Arino crush the dam level in one go after getting stuck on the first boss for 3 hours.

Turtles in Time could also be interesting. Especially since the difficulty curve is broken. Slash is like 10 times harder than any of the other bosses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

BrainDance posted:

Thanks, yeah I was searching for "Game Center CX dub" and stuff and that wasn't doing it, I didn't remember that Kotaku was behind them or think to search that way.

And yeah they are really bad. And when it's just the announcer dubbed what's even the point? It would have been worse if Arino was dubbed too, in a whole other way, but it's still kinda pointless to have a small part of it dubbed but then you're reading subtitles for the rest.

I'm a data hoarder who just put together this 120tb nas/jellyfin server deal though so, you know, for the sake of completeness.

I'm guessing they're going for something similar to Iron Chef, where some people were dubbed but some people were dubbed. It was a very odd presentation.