Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lock
Aug 8, 2007

hardcore sound gets you hypah

Geez man, you put as much love in those opening posts as the team does the eps themselves. Very nice.

Didn't Arino have a twitter account too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lock
Aug 8, 2007

Lock posted:

Didn't Arino have a twitter account too?

Dug around a bit, finally found it myself.
@arimorokoshi415

Lock
Aug 8, 2007

Thanks as always, I've been looking forward to this one!

Just a heads-up, I think the 8-6-0 thing in the first part is supposed to be 8-9-0, at around the 16:30 mark, yeah? I was pretty confused until I listened to what Arino was saying.

Lock
Aug 8, 2007

Tangentially related, CoCoIchi, the curry house of awesome in Japan, is running a holiday giveaway contest. The lowest tier prize is your choice of either a free drink ... or one of those water pigs from the Korea episode.

Lock
Aug 8, 2007

Random Stranger posted:

I listed the US title for familiarity but that's a case where it's definitely not going to stick when the episode gets translated since the original game completely avoided the Noid.
Well played sir.

Lock
Aug 8, 2007

Kotak, and ESPECIALLY its commenters, have earned at least some of the hate here I'm sure, but it feels like a lot of it also stems from people trying their best to say 'hey hey look I'm not a weeaboo I swear!' It's ok to be interested in Japan guys, many sane and rational people are.

Lock
Aug 8, 2007

zari-gani posted:

The Japan: It's Not Funny Anymore article is the only thing from there that's really bothered me.

Holy Jesus Christ that is the very loving definition of :words:.

This is when you know you've been there too long, when you forget you chose to go over, that they didn't invite you and give you special rank or privilege. You gonna live in Japan? Then take the bad with the good, because there IS bad, just like anywhere else, and you as an outsider aren't gonna be the one to fix it even if you think you 'get' the pop culture.

It took me as long to just mousewheel-scroll down that article as it does to read a normal article anywhere else.

Anyway, so yeah, how 'bout that Kacho? Pretty cool guy, am I right?

Lock
Aug 8, 2007

Shady3011 posted:

Not to keep this going any longer, but this fuckwit is no stranger to being a stupid piece of poo poo.

http://www.somethingawful.com/d/news/five-worst-gaming-2.php

There are no words.

It's inspring in a way though. If this asshat can be given cash moneys to put words to screen, then there's hope for those of us who aren't self-absorbed egoists.

Lock
Aug 8, 2007

nthing the It's Very Common on Japanese tv shows thing. I mentioned how different it was for to a Japanese coworker who thought all that text (and GCCX is FAR from the most prolific) was perfectly natural. It's just what they do I guess.

pnumoman posted:

And it's frankly more of a US aversion to reading, IMO. Don't know of another group of people that hate reading as much as the average American.

hahaha did you really just unironically type that

Lock
Aug 8, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

^ I'll be honest with you man, I grew up in a place where people hate reading because white people read, so that statement isn't too obtuse from my point of view.

Yeeeaaaah, I was gonna come in all "blah blah blah dialects" and "blah blah blah examples of weird text popping up all over in screenshots of Japanese programming from the 80s" but really.

I will say the thing I find really interesting about Japanese TV is that they subtitle their dialects in interviews in a standard form, and that I've never heard them overdub folks who aren't speaking Japanese.

The obtuseness here lies in the fact that white people aren't limited to America, for starters. Nor are large groups of people who have something against reading for whatever reason.

I have heard overdubbing on news programs and (for obvious reasons) live events, but not elsewhere, admittedly. Regardless, I've always found the random text a stylistic thing. Seems to fit the mood a lot of these shows go for. But I wouldn't know for sure.

Lock
Aug 8, 2007

The new year has now officially begun. Thanks again for everybody's efforts!

SCNWC posted:

"I have a tumor on my prostate gland and no health insurance"
- Tim Rogers

I Thought a few might enjoy that knowledge.

While I would love for him to lose the ability to communicate with others, I'm not sure I'd wish a tumor on most anybody. THAT SAID, I find it ironic he would say that after his infamous article, as Japan has national health insurance.

Lock
Aug 8, 2007

I'm getting just south of 100kB/s, no big deal since I don't plan on watching it until about 12 hours from now anyway. Thanks again for everything; this thread just keeps on giving.

joek0 posted:

spoilericiousness

Dude, just a heads-up, but you kinda totally killed the whole point of spoiler usage in the posts above yours. Not such a big deal to me, but a lot of people understandably don't want to know these things until they come up in the show.

Lock
Aug 8, 2007

Corridor posted:

Arino is a giant perv whenever a woman shows up. I guess in Japan (and to SA nerds) its hilarious.

I'll be happy when people stop thinking Japan = perverts ALL OF THEM PERVERTS, no need to overreact. Also yeah how 'bout them SA nerds amirite.

Lock
Aug 8, 2007

Corridor posted:

Maybe you missed the part where everyone else in this thread is saying they think it's loving hilarious, and also where various people have said that perviness is common in Japanese comedy.

But keep defending Japan's honour from ignorant fucks like me, champ.

e: Sorry, I'm crabby today. But come on, seriously. :(
I'm sorry, I am too. I'm a bit sensitive about it the other way because I know tons of non-pervs over here; creepiness is no more the norm than back home in the States. The stereotype is just really starting to bug me; it feels like people are looking for any hint of deviance.

Lock fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Jan 31, 2012

Lock
Aug 8, 2007

Because he's not perving and people are overreacting. You can think those things, be above the rabble of Internettown, and still be overreacting. And it's the generalizing statements that draw issue, not whether or not someone likes the guy.

I didn't find it pervy. It was said conversationally as a tossaway comment and he seemed as surprised to get an answer as anything. People know him as a comedian, especially people who write in to the show, so they know what to expect. But if you are someone who did find it crossing a line, ok, fair enough, people naturally react differently. Just don't say ONLY INTERNETTOWN NERDS WOULD FIND THAT FUNNY. I really couldn't care less if others like the guy or not, just stop being so judgmental in general.

Lock fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jan 31, 2012

Lock
Aug 8, 2007

the least weasel posted:

The guy went back on what he said and left it at "It weirds me out that Arino periodically acts like a giant perv. Yes I know it's a joke. It's still kinda creepy. I can think these things and still enjoy the show." and you still felt the need to get this defensive about it. Maybe think about that for a while.

Dude, I think you're kinda completely missing the point about what's bothering me here. I read both that and his followup of 'why is everybody getting on my case for generalizing,' something he didn't go back on, but fair enough. I've already contributed far too much to this horrible derail, and I apologize for that.

To try to get a bit more on-topic and waste less typespace, I'm really liking the torrent setup. I always get faster downloads from them than those filehosting sites, and with all their popunders and constant ads they always put me off a bit.

Lock
Aug 8, 2007

Random Stranger posted:

Of course that's fifteen years old now...
This drat game helped me lose a college scholarship.

I miss it.

Lock
Aug 8, 2007

Tyma posted:

It was Ageha, not Starmine :japan:
GameCenter CX + Ryu☆ song = the height of human achievement. It's all downhill from here, but it was fun sharing it with all of you.

Lock
Aug 8, 2007

zari-gani posted:

Because I translated it and I'm Canadian and I gotta say, it was nice to actually know precisely how hot a place is for once. I don't know Fahrenheit at all and I'm always forced to Google convert F to C when watching American stuff so while I considered translating the temperature, I thought to myself "well if anyone really wanted to know, they could just Google it I suppose, but it's obviously very hot." Besides, we don't translate yen to dollars (except in that 24H compilation), km to miles, centimeters to inches in our translations... Is that bad? Serious question.

I'm American but I've been overseas long enough to get a feel for metric temperatures, and to a lesser extent distances. Don't personally mind either way; I find British vs. American English petty spats to be more entertaining anyway.

That said, I believe it was in the wrestling match, metric and standard were mixed... I think height was given in feet and inches, but weight in kilos? I forget exactly, but it threw me for a minute.

Lock
Aug 8, 2007

Neutral Zone Trap posted:

The quality of Fester's Quest is often exaggarated in my opinion too. It has some serious flaws but it's still very much a playable game.

You and I, we did not play the same Fester's Quest.

I remember Lurch giving me Vice Grips or something. I remember frogs of doom hopping everywhere. And I remember not making any progress whatsoever. That said, if you did make progress in the game? I have respect for you for that.

Lock
Aug 8, 2007

techknight posted:

I know, I know, but then it's like "well why am I going to spend $170 on a 3D console if I can't use the 3D?". I tried Mario Kart 7 at EB with the setting very low and it was still extremely uncomfortable. :(

Is it really common to just not use the 3D at all?

It doesn't really bother me, though at the highest setting it can feel a little funny. The slider was a good idea.
Also, thanks again SAGCCX team! Been looking forward to this one since seeing it on the video blog.

Lock
Aug 8, 2007

Tried to send a fax from a convenience store here, but apparently they're still getting slammed as of half an hour ago. I got a busy error at least 5 times before giving up.

Glad people are seeing theirs though! And seriously, to the people providing links to the streams? You're godsends. I don't get FujiTV, so I always miss out on these.

e: faxzero doesn't seem to be working any more either..."At the request of the receiver, faxes cannot be sent to 0355001550."

Lock fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Feb 24, 2012

Lock
Aug 8, 2007

schuhart posted:

Only one so far! :( I think he opens one per level he passes. He has 39 more to open so I hope he gets one soon!

Lock, how much is Fuji TV to recieve?

poo poo, well i hope mine got through. To be honest I think we already achieved that objective of letting him know he is loved internationally, so Im really pleased that some got through!

Honestly I don't know, I've never bothered with getting cable or satellite hooked up in my apartment. I do know that the station GCCX is broadcasted on is usually an extra channel beyond the basic package, though sometimes the specials are broadcast on a different station.

And yah, I feel better after seeing the screengrabs of them showing the international faxes. Pretty sure they're getting the message!

Lock
Aug 8, 2007

Random Stranger posted:

Edit: My fax through Fax Zero just went through so they're not blocking it now...

That's really weird, I'm still getting the error. Maybe it's just blocked from Japan? Or they just throw it up when they get a busy signal?

Either way, good to hear people from the thread ARE getting through.

EDIT: hurfdurf I'm an idiot, didn't think to try the international link, thanks Gidget! Still, $3+ when I'm right freaking here? Ouch.

Lock fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Feb 24, 2012

Lock
Aug 8, 2007

Yeah, ignore me about not getting through on faxzero, I didn't think to click the international link. Now I'm just trying to justify spending almost 4 dollars to send a few lines of random text to a Japanese celebrity who likely won't even see the thing.

Ah screw it, the man's turning 40 and it doesn't look like he's gonna be beating this anytime soon. I'll try the convenience store one more time.

Also, love how they're treating the light plane part almost like a rally race. "One hundred, straight ahead."

Lock
Aug 8, 2007

It's back up now, just refresh.

Lock
Aug 8, 2007

FINALLY. Fax went through. The hell's wrong with me, on a Friday night, leaving my apartment just to run out to fax a hand-written note to a 40-year-old playing video games.

Did I miss anything? Doesn't look like it....

e: crap, sorry for the doublepost. Figured it had taken me longer than that.

Lock
Aug 8, 2007

Happy birthday Kachou!

Loved the paper countdown. And loving this birthday song even more.

Lock
Aug 8, 2007

NO WAY!!

edit: WAY! Zari-gani, lemme congratulate you!

Lock
Aug 8, 2007

Love the Toujima in the illustration. Very nice touch.

Lock
Aug 8, 2007

I was wondering about the katakana. It all makes perfect sense now. You've done so much for the international fans of this show; it's good to see you getting some recognition for your hard work.

And for that matter, the entirety of the SAGCCX crew, you've all made this possible. Zari-gani's stuff wouldn't have made it on the show without the interest generated by all of your hard work. Thank you all over again!!

Lock
Aug 8, 2007

That was the greatest song. Also, perfect clip for the "FUTSUU DESU!" part.

Lock
Aug 8, 2007

Do not even ask posted:

TIME OBA :(

EXTENSION YOSH!

Lock
Aug 8, 2007

Freshverse dude, you're a godsend. Right about the time you jumped in to apologize, the justin.tv stream had just started giving me the "too many viewers in your country" error. (I had been watching for hours, accidentally clicked a link that took me away, and when I came back, every 2 minutes.)

So thank you. Thank you very, very much.

Lock
Aug 8, 2007

Rirse posted:

So how far did he make it into Pilotwings? You can use a spoiler tag if you want.

You're not too late to join in the fun! It's not a question of DID he; much more like HAS he THUSFAR.

Lock
Aug 8, 2007

Are people looking for a reason to stop liking Arino? The way I see it, his job is to make jokes. The fat jokes, the overhyped perviness, that's what he's supposed to do and he knows it. It's his schtick, not necessarily an accurate representation of Arino the Person, or Japanese culture in general.

I'm not the biggest fan of the fat jokes and I'm not even fat, but the staff are all targeted and they all know what they're getting into working with him. It's just a show, he's just a dude, let's enjoy it at face value, yah?

Lock
Aug 8, 2007

Corridor posted:

Arino isn't a godbeing y'know. We can like him and think he's sometimes a tasteless jerk also.

Seriously, so many people are getting bent out of shape because IT'S ARINO AND SHE'S A FATTY. Just... chill.

You know what's awesome about this? It's exactly what I was saying.

Indeed, chill.

Lock
Aug 8, 2007

GidgetNomates posted:

Also, the show isn't about mean jokes. For me the biggest appeal of the show is how overwhelmingly positive the vibe is. The Watanabe jokes really detract from that. Does anyone here get EXCITED when they see her because they know a fat joke is coming?

In all honesty I wince a bit when I see her, because I know a bad joke's coming. The positive-to-negative contrast is definitely an interesting point.

But then, unless she's in on the joke, wouldn't she have stopped doing the things that trigger the jokes(eating on camera, staring longingly at food)? It doesn't make the jokes less awkward for me, but that at least makes sense. Then again, the hair thing joke wouldn't fall in that category.

While obesity isn't as common a thing in Japan, surely the show's target demographic is among the most likely to be put off by fat jokes. Surely they consider that?

Anyway, I didn't think about it until Random Stranger mentioned it, but it does seem the female ADs don't get the same treatment as the male ones. I wonder how much of it is purposeful and how much is just due to AD personality. Have any of the female ADs expressed an interest in games? If not, might explain why they never step in. I dunno.

e: aw hell, doubleposting like a champ, apologies

Lock fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Feb 27, 2012

Lock
Aug 8, 2007

Doc Hawkins posted:

wit

I have been enlightened; this is enlightening.

Point was, it's not people going 'oh hey I hate it when he does that.' Because hey, I'm not too fond of it either. It's how worked up some people get over it, and how big a deal they make out of it, taking everything out of context. Sorry for doing a piss-poor job of explaining that.

edit: ^sarcasm aside, I think it's half people getting bothered by the unhappy people, and half the first group, in turn, getting ticked off as well. People on both sides being witty and hyperbolic kinda kills the potential for discussion. Though I guess I shouldn't speak as if I'm above it all.

Lock fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Feb 27, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lock
Aug 8, 2007

Wendell posted:

No one was getting all worked up.
I beg to differ, but ok. And like this dude above me is saying, continuing this is only gonna poo poo up an already bad few pages.