Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Kakaricho posted:

I did Ikki from DVD boxset #2 for /vrgccx/, but I only made a script watching my DVDs, I didn't touch the video files. And I never will, I have a pretty decent life over here, a 10 year prison sentence would sorta crimp that a bit.
It might sound strange, coming from someone who subs, but I'd like it if people bought the Japanese DVDs too. Most of the content on them has been subbed already, some of the extras are pretty cool. and it supports the show too.

(And as was pointed out, the yen is currently in the crapper, so it's a good chance to buy them...)

Thanks to how much I've loved the subbed episodes, I went out and bought the the english DVD for Christmas. It's a little bit harder to justify buying the japanese ones though, because all they would do is sit in my room and look pretty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Kakaricho posted:

Where are you buying them from? They're quite cheap from Amazon.co.jp. Plus you get the neat extras, like variations of Arino`s business card.

It's not so much the price, as it's hard for me to justify buying a DVD that I can't use for its intended purpose (that is, one I can't watch because it doesn't have english audio or subtitles). I wasn't considering the extras though; memorabilia such as versions of Arino's business card makes it a little easier to justify a purchase (so it's more like I'm buying the memorabilia that comes with free dvds).

For anyone else who's curious, the DVDs from Amazon.co.jp around around $44 each, and global shipping to the US is about $9.50 (at least to Alaska). It's definitely worth considering if you're at all interested in purchasing the dvds.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

zari-gani posted:

The book is by Random Stranger, so that's the best way to support him. There's a crazy amount of info in there! I'm a freelance artist and the best way to support me is by buying shirts/prints at my Fangamer or Yetee store. I don't like to plug them here though because it's unrelated to GCCX.

Thanks for the links; I forwarded them to my non-goon friend who both loves GCCX and SNES games so hopefully she'll buy some stuff as well.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

SomeMathGuy posted:

Entertaining episode, but man was the proverbial deck stacked.

It didn't help that Arino kept throwing the ball to the umpires.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Kakaricho posted:

What's a game you want Arino to play? I recently requested Wurm: Journey to the Center of the Earth.

Legendary Wings
Guardian Legend
Conquest of the Crystal Palace
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2: The Arcade Game
Flying Warriors (since it's a kinda-sorta sequel to Flying Dragon)

Nemo2342 fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Jan 18, 2015

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Kakaricho posted:

That's...a lot for all at once. Maybe do one a day using the directions above?

Didn't quite mean for them to be all at once, but since we were coming up with our wishlists I figured I'd include mine as well.

I did use your instructions to request Legendary Wings though, since several of my other choices had other advocates.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Light Gun Man posted:

Also just realizing I want Arino to play a TMNT game. First NES game would probably be the obvious long and hard one the show would pick.

If they ever do this, I want him to wear a mask at some point.

The first one is stupidly hard, and I'm not sure it would be that fun to watch. It looks like even with the code you only get 4 continues, which is going to be rough.

The 2nd one is a beat 'em up, and we know how good Arino is at those (though as I recall it also has a stage select code to help).

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

univbee posted:

There is pretty much no way he's not going to get stonewalled on the last boss.

Now I kind of want to see Arino struggle on all the lovely jumping in Ironsword: Wizard and Warriors 2.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Kakaricho posted:

Third quickest finish, according to fans on Twitter

I reviewed the episodes I remember being quick, and the top times were:

Ninja Spirit: 2 hours, 10 minutes
Parappa: 4 hours, 30 minutes
Takeshi's Castle: 5 hours

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Andorra posted:

Didn't Arino beat a game that Kibe really likes relatively quickly? What was it called, something Phoenix?

Yes, he cleared that one in 6 hours

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Random Stranger posted:

Yep, the obvious one.

I wonder if this is going to be the first time they've had a real gap between seasons since 14. Which won't be bad. It'll let us catch up if they take more than a month off. :v:

Speaking of which, I hope people have blocked out a long stretch of time this weekend.

Cancelling all of my plans now!

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Kanfy posted:

I remember him saying he's played that series already so that probably wouldn't work.

E: It's no doubt too long to make a good episode of but I'd totally watch the Puzzle Chief take on Alundra.

He's got a pretty bad track record with "games he's already played" though.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Random Stranger posted:

A shooter pic for a shooter episode!

This time Arino is playing the most expensive game they've ever used in an episode: Super Spy Hunter. The US version can be easily found for less than ten dollars, the Japanese version for several hundred. Will he be intimidated by this game?

This time out the episode was translated by zari-gani, timed by Gutcruncher, and really was checked by Hirayuki.

Download the torrent!

No matter what, it's going to be a great weekend now!

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Random Stranger posted:

What's this? Another episode? Arino takes another of his rare dips into the Sega side of things as he plays Strider. Also, the debut of a new segment! If you ever wanted to see Arino play Zapper games, this is your chance!

Once more this episode was translated by Zari-Gani and edited by Hirayuki.

Download the torrent.

This is going to be a fantastic weekend!

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Random Stranger posted:

Will the releases never stop?

The challenge this time is Flying Dragon: The Secret Scroll, an unusual platformer mixed with early fighting game. But who cares about that because I have two words for you. Power. Glove. That's right, you get to see Arino try to use everyone's favorite peripheral.

Shockingly, this is another episode translated by Zari-Gani and edited by Hirayuki.

Download the torrent.

My friend had this game when I was a kid, but we never got very far in it. I've been hoping to see Arino take his on ever since I saw it in the episode list, so I am super excited about this release!

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Flying Dragon came out on the Wii U VC a couple weeks ago, completely out of nowhere. Culture Brain lives!

I can't speak to this specific game as I haven't played it, but I know it came from a series called Hiryu no Ken in Japan, and the international released tended to be mashups of two or more Hiryu no Ken games for whatever reason - they'd take the combat from one game and the exploration from another and combine them into some new thing. I have no idea why.

I'd have loved to see him take on Flying Warriors, but as you mentioned it's a weird mashup of two other games and was never released in Japan.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

zari-gani posted:

Watching Miyamoto suffer through Arino's course was like bizarro GCCX.

If anyone knows terrifying courses, it's Arino. It's kind of fun seeing him on the other side of them for once though!

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Konsek posted:

I just got around to watching that episode the other day. It made me wonder, how much of the show is Arino just being spontaneously witty and how much is Kibe's writing? I assume he writes in stuff like an AD turning up in a police uniform and stuff like that, but Arino's lines?

One of the things that's always bugged me about the Bikkuriman World episode is at the end when Arino sticks up all the valuable stickers. I really hope that was scripted, or that they at least replaced the poor writer's stickers after the show.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

ImpAtom posted:

That is a goddamn amazing cake.

That cake makes me hungry, but the art is so good I'd be sad to eat it!

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Hirayuki posted:

Is anybody else in here :corsair: enough to remember and/or have owned/played Journey Escape on the Atari 2600?

That was the first thing I thought when "rescue the band game" was mentioned.

Nemo2342 fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Oct 23, 2015

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Kakaricho posted:

Next challenge is Zelda II: The Adventure of Link.

Now that's one I'm looking forward to seeing, since I've always liked that game.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
I laughed when I saw the Chinese FPS that used rage faces and "HET SOT".

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Random Stranger posted:

Working on an episode where Arino plays the same handful of stages for twelve hours straight has made me appreciate when things are easier for him.

As long as there's enough footage for the episode, of course.

Honestly, some of my favorite episodes are ones where Arino has a comparatively easy time of things. It's refreshing to see him in good spirits during the course of a challenge.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

zari-gani posted:

I'm currently helping Fangamer at MAGFest over this weekend, and got a surprise visit from Champignon/Tempura Wizard, friendly OP of the original Game Center CX thread. Thanks guy!

Shoot, I always forget about MAGFest when I'm planning out my vacation time. I attended the first few, so I really would like to go again to see how things have changed. Maybe next year!

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Kakaricho posted:

Next challenge is Cho Aniki, and there's a major announcement planned.

I never thought I would live to see this day.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Mister Chief posted:

Pre-ordered. It's my reading level too.

I'm never going to be able to read this, but I've ordered it all the same.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

univbee posted:

Mine shipped and will apparently arrive Tuesday. :woop:

Mine is scheduled for Monday, which isn't too shabby for Alaska.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Kakaricho posted:

Technically, you're closer, so...

Fair point, I'm just used to stuff taking forever to get here (especially when shipped from the rest of the U.S.) so I'm always pleasantly surprised when something moves quickly.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

zari-gani posted:

Actually, Kan's wanted it released overseas from the very beginning. That's why the protagonist has a name and appearance that isn't strictly Japanese.

If it gets an English release, I will be forced to buy it again!

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

cubeboy posted:

I second the Mighty Bomb Jack saga. It didn't make me cry, but very entertaining, and I believe it does a great job summarizing what the show is all about. A few others
Super Mario World
Yoshi's Island
Quest of Ki
Ultraman
Jogging Race
Battletoads
F-Zero

To piggy back on what others are saying, I would just watch them in order, even though some of the first few episodes can be rough to watch as the format was a bit different.

One I haven't mentioned so far is Super Mario Land. I find it really entertaining, but you probably need to watch a few other episodes first. Another personal favorite is Bikkuriman World, since it has some 'classic' Arino moments.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

King Vidiot posted:

I (re)watch a random episode of Game Center CX every night before I go to bed, it's kinda become my ritual. I usually make it 3/4 of the way through and then nod off to wake up to the final blast of pop music over the ending "mail-in for a chance to win a copy of the game" part. I think I've completely forgotten which games Arino even completes because I always miss the very end.

This is me on Friday/Saturday nights, though in my defense I always decide that 1am is a great time to rewatch an episode and I end up waking up right at the end.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

zari-gani posted:

This is all I can reveal for now (and Kan announced it at the book signing back in December which is why I think it's safe for me to say) but "Game no Naka" will be released here in English, and I'm translating it.

That's great! I can't wait to own it in English and in Japanese!

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
Thank you all so much for the new release!

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

According to speedrun.com's leaderboards, the current record without manipulation is 5 hours, 15 minutes. Trying to replicate the TAS gets down to a very respectable 25 minutes, 21 seconds.

With that in mind, Arino is totally going to get lost in the tablet cave for an hour.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Kakaricho posted:

2018's first challenge is Destiny of an Emperor, with news of the 2017 Akiba event and more educational games on the side.

I love that game, and it was my introduction to Romance of the Three Kingdoms so it holds a special place in my heart. I can't wait to see how Arino handles it.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

univbee posted:

RISE FROM YOUR GRAVE

(Shamelessly stole SA user wise fwom yo gwave's avatar)

Translated by zari-gani
Timed by Random Stranger
Proofread by hirayuki

https://nyaa.si/view/1025425

https://mega.nz/#!nNFCzSYK!7DSkWVCAmCXiFMT9CvVx8UG-xJMtpWCRYU_saR4UKwg

This was a really fun episode. It should definitely be on the list of episodes to entice new viewers with.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

The White Dragon posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYEjEW9oEnU

im the sound effects and bizarre monster sprites they recycle for crystalis

Oh god, you're right. I didn't notice it in the GDQ run but that's absolutely the Crystalis magic effect.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

GooseCanyon posted:

Our very spooky new release, episode 190, D!
https://nyaa.si/view/1183708

Happy Halloween! Hope everyone enjoys!
Gonna try to get one more episode out for October.

Thank you for the awesome releases!

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

GooseCanyon posted:

Our latest release, just in time for Christmas, Die Hard Arcade!

Bye, book.

https://nyaa.si/view/1201514

Thank you for the release! You all are the best!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

GooseCanyon posted:

https://nyaa.si/view/1215075

Translation: Phosphorescent Skeleton
Proofreading: Kuishinbou, AyeshaLee
Subtitles: Clov, Griever
Special Thanks: Bean

As well, special thanks to the AyeshaLee duo, who proofread 25 minutes of the episode while Kuishinbou was on vacation! Your insights were a great help in tackling this monster of an episode!

We would also like to extend our special thanks to the Russian fansubber Griever. We used a significant amount of their timing and typesetting throughout this episode, which was invaluable to completing it in a timely manner.

Put it in H!

Thank you Goose friends!