Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Awesomonster
Feb 26, 2008

Because there's always an ending.
Game tunes that get stuck in your head, you say? I pretty regularly get the Spelunker music stuck in my head and frankly I couldn't be happier about that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Awesomonster
Feb 26, 2008

I definitely bought Retro Game Challenge because of fansubs, as did several of my friends. This was long before I found out about you guys and this thread, but I still would never have known about the show or the game (which, by the way, is one of the best for the DS) if it hadn't been for fansubs. Though I do appreciate Kotaku for trying to get it a bit more mainstream, but I'm not sure I would love the show as much as I do if that was my only exposure.

Awesomonster
Feb 26, 2008

Zeether posted:

There's Aquabats music in the episode? The staff must have good taste.

They play the Aquabats in the Korea trip episode as well, I'd have to watch it again to remember which song (though I think it might've been Super Rad?) or where, but it did give me a bit of a thrill to hear, I remember that much :3:

Awesomonster
Feb 26, 2008

softcorps posted:

Just noticed Primoman has a GCCX avatar and caption. That's... dedication?

All the cool kids have GCCX related avatars :colbert:

Awesomonster
Feb 26, 2008

Awww, you guys are harsh! Princess Tomato is one of my favorite games ever :( I can't imagine it being an interesting episode of GCCX at all, but its super cute and super harmless. I genuinely can't imagine anyone being traumatized by it!

Awesomonster
Feb 26, 2008

zari-gani posted:

Shows how little I know about the movies! I only saw them for the first time in my life last year. I probably know more about the games (or rather, Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis specifically).

Still, that's a very, very miniscule issue. The translations look fine.

Actually, he can say it a couple times in FoA too. My favorite opportunity is when you're on the submarine, one of the nazis goes "Who are you?!" and you can say "Hi, I'm selling these fine leather jackets." Sure it gets you killed, but its totally worth it for the chance to try and convince a dude on a submarine that you're a door to door salesman.

Fake edit: Should I spoil that? :ohdear:

Awesomonster
Feb 26, 2008

I was gonna buy the DVD anyhow (and I was gonna make everyone I know buy it too like I did with Retro Game Challenge) but the fact that it'll be competently retranslated by zari-gani just makes it all the sweeter :3: I am SUPER excited for this. Any opportunity to throw my money at my favorite show!

Awesomonster
Feb 26, 2008

You guys are really genuinely some of my most favorite people. I don't even mean that as internet hyperbole, I have a lot of admiration for the hard work you all put in just so everyone can watch this great show for free. Seriously, thanks you guys!

Awesomonster
Feb 26, 2008

Is it just me or does it seem like Arino and Watanabe are really good friends? Every time she shows up during the tamage segments, they seem to have a lot of fun together and I always get the feeling that he really enjoys hanging out with her, in spite of any nasty jokes about her weight. I don't want to start/contribute to any derails about Watanabe (we've had more than enough of those) I just wonder if I'm seeing more of a friendship than there really is. Maybe I just really like Watanabe, she's just so good natured and cheerful.

Awesomonster
Feb 26, 2008

Haha well I meant a Watanabe derail as in one that is at all about the jokes about her weight, because those are just the pits and nobody comes out of them happy. I just wondered if it was just me who felt like they were actualbuddies not just for tv buddies.

Awesomonster
Feb 26, 2008

zari-gani posted:

ETA: If any of you are worried about coming across as a weirdo for buying a haul of merchandise at the GCCX booth, don't.

Man, look at that guy's face. He looks so goddamn reverent, I wonder what he's listening to.

I hope it's Last Continue.

Awesomonster
Feb 26, 2008

Though I'm not who your article is aimed at (though I felt generally disappointed by the kotaku episodes, I was super excited that anyone was making some sort of effort), I just wanted to say that this is a really well written article and I'm really glad you wrote it. Hopefully it'll reach the people it needs to and that maybe they reconsider their attitude.

Awesomonster
Feb 26, 2008

zari-gani posted:

To be fair, I'll post a screenshot of Arino reacting to the part that made him laugh hardest.

He's reacting to a line that's not even in the American version (I just checked on my copy of the game). That's one thing I will say about this episode -- it's interesting seeing the small differences between the Japanese and censored English version.

ETA: I J-Googled that line and found out the line was changed (I don't know to what) in the Japanese GBA and VC releases. Wonder why... it wasn't scandalous or potentially offensive or anything.

This is really the main reason I want to see this episode. I know about some of the differences, but its one thing to read about changes and another to see some of it translated. I'm not super eager to see Arino and crew be super bored by a game I love (though I totally understand, I doubt it makes good TV) but I am really interested in seeing all the differences between the two versions.

I don't know if this is asking for spoilers, but I'm genuinely curious, do they mention anywhere that its a remake of a computer game?

Awesomonster
Feb 26, 2008

That's a real shame, I wanted to see it mentioned because what little I know about the computer game sounds amazing:

The cutest crucifix :3:
(more here: http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/princesstomato/princesstomato.htm)

Awesomonster
Feb 26, 2008

Mayor McCheese posted:

I enjoyed it, too. I was waiting for Arino to find a doughnut in the men's restroom trashcan during his playthrough and I was totally let down when it was a matchstick instead.

As funny as it'd be to see his reaction to the donut in the bathroom trash, it makes so much more sense that it was actually a matchstick in there. As a kid, before I knew about things like localizations and censorship, I was kind of baffled at the thought of finding a donut in the bathroom and then giving it to a hobo. Its one of those things that makes me curious about whose decision it was and how much thought went into changing it. Did they agonize at all about how it made no goddamn sense? Or were they like "just make it a coffee shop, it can be a donut" and moved on?

Also, I agree that the best part of the episode was Abe arguing about the value of stamps with an old lady.

Awesomonster
Feb 26, 2008

I always thought it was saying "replacing broadcast", personally :shrug:

Awesomonster
Feb 26, 2008

kirbysuperstar posted:

Oh god that loving owl? In Japanese? Kill me now.

I had to pause the video and laugh for a good five minutes as soon as he started talking, how did they find a voice actor that sounds EXACTLY like the english one? God, its perfect.

Awesomonster
Feb 26, 2008

Random Stranger posted:

I'm having pan-seared salmon with some lemon seasoning and some green beans as I watch GCCX.

Usually, though, it's a lot of tea as I work.

You weren't supposed to eat the salmon! :ohdear:

GCCX always makes me hungry for noodles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Awesomonster
Feb 26, 2008

I've love it too if its not too much trouble, my friend code is 1048-8839-4017