Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

zari-gani posted:

And I translated this thing I found online just 'cause.

Ok, there's been a lot of funny things to come out of GCCX but that's the best one. It's also the most :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Arino's Fat AlbertYeah, I know it's probably not Fat Albert impersonation killed me

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

zari-gani posted:

I have no qualms about that particular translator and I don't know anything about anyone there. That said, this post by their Kamen Rider translator is appalling and I was disheartened to see no one pointed out the offensive part.

The reason for that is that TV-N's forms are an Ego-cracy, ether you toe the party line or you get banned. Take it from experience; you ask anything about Astroboy 2k3 and they will ban you for it.

Do they still think they're hot poo poo with the use of after effects for when people transform in thier shows or are they past that load of stupidity?

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Sep 8, 2012

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Cemetry Gator posted:

But we're not capturing what is being said in Japanese. It's like, if we referred to "SuMari" as "Super Mario," we might as well change it to a dramatic show about a doctor who operates on patients by playing videogames... and when he doesn't beat the game, the patient dies!
Better than something that's incomprehensible.

We're trying to watch tv here, not homestuck.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

makere posted:

The DVD would've been released today if it hadn't been for the delay. :smith:

Where you see a delay, I see a chance for a volume 2, and 3 and many more besides!

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

drat you Amazon. :smith:

You say that but I have no idea when I'm getting mine :scotland:

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
My copy of the RGM boxset came in and it's just as awesome as I imagined it being. It's just so wierd seeing everything encoded from a profesional source as opposed to off of a TV and then re-encoded with subs.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Just going though the boxset, the ending to Battle Golfer Yui is pure untamed :psyduck:

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

If anything, my underpants were in a bunch because Kotaku somehow couldn't afford the rights to stream to Europe. Because somehow a show that can be picked up by Gawker of all places will have a ludicrous additional cost for Europe. Yep.

Really, in this day and age, it shouldn't be right that I can watch DVDs from other countries easier than I can watch something on, what is largely in any case, a global platform.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I've had mine since Saturday though the magic of giving Discotek my money directly.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
ADV's second release of Nadesico did it too. But I imagine that's a right pain in the arse and probably not worth the extra amount of money the subtitle encoder would be wanting for doing so.

As for me, yeah, I really like the disks, Kinda annoyed there's no TV Opening (You'd figure that'd at least be an extra or something) but it's about a million times better than KOTAK ever did for the series.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Nill posted:

A DVD has two options when it comes to text overlays.

2) Alternate "angles". Originally envisioned as allowing the user to interactively switch between camera angles in a scene, this DVD feature is more frequently put to use to automatically and seamlessly insert the foreign language versions of shots (title cards, writing on screen, place names, credits, etc) when different languages are selected from the main menu. This requires more complex dvd authoring and pre-rendered versions of all the alternate shots to be inserted.
Funimation did this with thier earlier work, it allowed them to use overlay graphics on older shows such as YuYu Hakousou for infomation graphics, episode title cards, etc.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I'm slightly more surprised how close KOTAK got to what was actually being said.

It really speaks to how they got the dood to talk that made everyone think it was a mess.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Oct 3, 2012

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Yeah, that's probably something you can levy at KOTAK's feet.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

zari-gani posted:

Then we start subbing Game Record GP! (Basically a single-stage speedrun tournament, so it's the anti-GCCX).
SO this is GamesWorld to CX's Games Master. Huh.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Nov 6, 2012

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Parappa is a short game but it can (and will) be an utter bastard difficulty wise so I can see Arino having GnG 'nam flashbacks here.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Silly Voodoo posted:

I was wondering the same thing and it seems that the game does have more than one ending and Arino got the bad one. Which is weird, because you'd expect them to make Arino keep playing until he got the good one, and it was pretty clear that was a bad ending of some kind. ...Yeah, I don't get it either.
Given how batshit the game was. Maybe it just passed past them that there was more than one ending.

Any word on what that supposed good ending is?

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

The White Dragon posted:

On the other hand, he might just burn the entire treasury, lower the tax rate to 0 in December, and try jacking it up as high as he can the moment January rolls around.
And yet that would beat the pants off of the rest of Japan's economical policies by virtue of it trying something new.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Davzz posted:

I like the episodes where Arino... well, sort of "interacts" with the game as if it were real and injects his own narrative rather than dying to a super tough boss over and over constantly.

With that as a criteria, here's some of the episodes which I thought were the best.

Tokimeki Memorial
Clock Tower
Night of Sickle Weasel
CR Quiz
Go By Train.
Does that bit in the first lemmings challenge where he starts naming the blocker lemmings who can't be saved after ADs count? Cause if so, that. That is just magical :allears:

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Volfogg posted:

I just assumed they'd be put on the JPN Nintendo Video thing. I don't have a JPN 3DS myself either and just wish someone would find a way to break the region lock without doing anything else to the 3DS...but that's never going to happen.

Not that Nintendo don't deserve it.

I take a very dim view to any company action that prevents me from legaly buying poo poo.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Xik posted:

Nintendo having ridiculous control over their platforms is what made them. I'm sure the people in this thread don't need a history lesson about the state of the gaming industry right before the NES and what the result was of having "open" platforms with no quality control. This is Nintendo, it's been successful for them for ~30 years and I doubt they will change any time soon.

Nintendo is Nintendo and I honestly think that this type of control is so ingrained in the company that apart from a complete takeover by another entity this aspect of them will never change.
Oh bullshit and horse manure. The Gameboy was a region free console as was the GBC, the GBA and the DS. For 20 years, they had a perfectly working system, nothing was going to suddenly explode if I could play Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey on my DS, bought with my own money, thank you very much.

In comes the DSi and it all goes to poo poo; we still don't have Devil Survivor Overclocked, never-mind DS 2, I dread to think when (or if) I'll get to play the likes of Shin Megami Tensei 4 or Etrian Odyssey 4 and then there's the frustration of the online shop. Nothing says a good time when someone has a certain game, let's say Secret of Mana, in their store and you can't buy it for love nor money.

Nintendo fired the first shot on the Handhelds and it was pointed at their own foot.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Caitlin posted:

Tell me more about how Nintendo, for all their faults, doesn't have the most massively successful handheld and iron-clad grip on the handheld market. :allears:
Well, dunno what to say, I haven't bought a Nintendo console since. 3DSXL has tempted me but then I remember that I'll be stuck where I am now as I wait for P4A and suddenly that £150 feels a lot more tempting elsewhere.

Tewratomeh posted:

I don't think a very, very small minority of people who want obscure Japanese import games is going to kill off Nintendo's stranglehold on the handheld gaming industry.
It's not Japanese import games I want (Though, I do own Jump Ultimate Superstars) it's the US imports of games that don't get released in the UK for whatever dumb esoteric stupid reason Atlus decide on this time around.

Like I said, I have no investment on a console that I can't play the games I want to play on them.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Caitlin posted:

But, again, like Tewratomeh said, you do understand that while it does suck, you are in a significant minority on this and their decision to keep region locks the way it is will probably not affect their market share on any sort of appreciable level anytime soon, right? That they're not actually "shooting themselves in the foot" about this?

vv also I blame the EU
No, probably not. I just think that in non-fighting mongoose universe, where they did not gently caress around with the region locking situation for the 3DS, Non-Fighting Mongoose me has a 3DS and a Wii U by this point.

Them locking the 3DS has pushed me over to Sony's stuff where this poo poo is limited to Persona 4 Arena, more or less.

But I digress, funny japanese man doing let's plays, go.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

TinKelp posted:

I thought the reason was always "we don't have a branch in Europe and thus have to convince some publisher over there to put out our games." Have they ever said they deliberately chose not to make a Euro release for any of their games?
That approach might as well be a deliberate choice to not publish. If N1 can open and operate a European branch, (through Koei, granted) and not fail to publish a game, if even that means publishing to psn/XBLA, heaven forbid then they have no excuse to go with thier dartboard approach and poo poo like P4A is on them.

Really sorry to drag this on but let's put this in context. I gave DiscoTeck my money, I got legal GameCenter CX. I was willing to give KOTAK my advertising eyes and they gave me nothing.
I think we all know which one came out on top.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

cronox2 posted:

http://fangamer.com/blog/2013/01/08/game-center-cx-day/

Fangamer selling GCCX goods (official or not) would just be too perfect.

Given how open (surprisingly so, at the best of times, Japan's tighter than a duck's arse) the CX doods are, I wouldn't be surprised if it happened.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I totaly feel for Arino, I suck hard at Chaining in Puyo Pop.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Random Stranger posted:

Guys, this is literally going to be getting the DVD releases on a streaming service; producing new content for streaming services is a pretty rare thing and 99.99% a streaming service just puts the DVD release of whatever they have up. This will be a very good thing for everyone.

And FWIW: Netflix is the best option for exposure, Hulu is the most receptive to foreign television shows, and Amazon is the little guy who you might as well use just as an option.
As long as it's wider than just the us I'm game

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

makere posted:

I also dislike the way the DVD subtitles look and also the fact that the Tamages aren't there. But overall, I do like DVDs, subtitling is superb and the fact that it's easy to support the show and possibly get more releases.

Speaking of which, has there been anything from Discotek to suggest they're going to do more?

makere posted:

Onto a different topic, if I drop by TGS this year, what are the chances that I'll see Arino?
I can't mind if it's this thread but I mind someone saying that's been less of a thing as the years have rolled on.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
And thank goodness for that. :colbert:

Not for nothing but I'm not entirely appreciative of Japan's own special brand of economical nonsense.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Mar 5, 2013

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Really, in terms of Hard vs Soft subs; Hard Subs (The sort Team SA are want to produce) already have everything rendered ready to play and can play on relatively low end hardware (and even non-computers if you're feeling particularly frisky) and Soft-subs (Which clover and all other fansubers use) are basically a set of subtitle instructions (and fonts, pictures, etc) baked into a file with the raw to render on the user end are are for Mid-High end systems (with very low to non existent non PC support available).

Whilst Hard Subs are fine, they have a bad rap chiefly though them being the type of choice of TV Nihon who are want to use them to add lovely adobe after effect text and to hard-lock their nonsensical transliterations to the files.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Mar 13, 2013

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
It's entirely understandable. Konami have gone utterly batshit in the last few years.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
As long as I can actually watch it legally (the UK is people too, guys) I really don't care where it streams.

I'd just like to watch the show the way that gives the production company money.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
If it is Netflix/CR then at least make it as international as possible (without a proxy). That is all I ask and I do not believe that to be unreasonable.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Caitlin posted:

To anyone who managed out a comment about me saying to be happy that anything in the US is moving forward because you're NOT HERE :

I'm glad we could settle that, thanks.
You'd think in the WhizzBang space year of 2013 we'd have gotten past this sort of nonsense already and me with my British monies could purchase and consume the media I'd want in a reasonable time frame but I guess that is just a fantasy on the level of preteen 90's me anxiously awaiting the arrival of commercial jetpacks. :doh:

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

ACID POLICE posted:

Let's just hope this poo poo gets put on the home screen of every American fool's 360 and PS3. That's what GCCX needs to get the DVD sale and international success snowball going
Given that the frountman couldn't understand how net streaming works and as such cocked us out of any useful information except "sucks to be not american, you get nothing." for a month I'm not betting that highly.

I'd love to be wrong and this time next year we have a Takeshi's Castle situation where Arino's face is plastered on Challenge in between repeats of Crystal Maze and Krypton Factor (and maybe GamesMaster if i was to play crazy optimist) but I'm a realist about this and the tea leaves are not floating in the right direction.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Because just releasing it in the US/EUR would veer far too close to Nintendo getting something right without having to go the most obtuse way about it.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
FF5 is an exception to this because it took the ball and ran with it.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Dragon Quarter was the only good one.
Dragon Quarter is the DmC of the PS2 era.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

rdbbb posted:

Wrong, it is Super Dave's friend Fuji.

Goddamn you, I thought I finally had that theme out of my mind, kazoos and all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

SpaceGodzilla posted:

Later on in the comments is this gem, apparently from a member of the translation team:
<attack on titan is a dumb name>
Yeah gently caress the author.

To be fair, "Attack on Titan" IS a dumb name in the same way you'd get odd looks if you spoke of "Retro Game Master" over here in most instances. However, using an obtuse word when something like "Advance of the Giants" would have sufficed is just TV Nihon grade nonsense.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Apr 8, 2013