Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Vlaphor posted:

Isn't the Japanese version of Battletoads significantly easier than the American one? I think I recall reading that somewhere, but I could totally wrong.

Dunno about "significantly" but I just played the J-version turbo tunnel level and it's easier in two ways:

- The floating jump ramps are now on the ground.
- Instead of manually jumping the islands in the next-to-last section (the "!" part in the US version), there are now ground-based jump ramps. Which is a shame, because I've always found that part edge-of-my-seat awesome.

Also, you start the game with 5 lives instead of 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention the J-version removed the pause beatbox. :negative:

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Just watched the first part on that blog. Amazing stuff. :suspense: I don't speak any Japanese, but I'm quite familiar with the game so it was easy to follow.

Another JP-version-easy-mode difference I noticed:
No fast-moving snakes in the snake pit. They're all the same speed.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

blog with raw GCCX episodes posted:

We are currently experiencing a high number of visitors. Page may not display due to heavy access. We are very sorry for the inconvenience. Please try to access again after a while.

Noooo I've really been looking forward to part 2. :f5:

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Obeast posted:

If they ever do Dragon Warrior/Quest, they should have him do the Game Boy version in Dragon Warrior I & II

The GBC version was a technically-scaled-down rendition of a similar Japan-only SFC remake. They would undoubtedly use that one instead.

Also, I saw this yesterday :3:
http://youtu.be/txFoaxURoV4 Music and sound effects are from Famicom DQ2, I believe.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

techknight posted:

But here's the thing - you don't really have "true" randomness in your basic computer. It's all based on a seed value, that, if you re-enter that value by way of exact playback, will produce the same output.

Exactly. I was going to post that there's no such thing as truly random in computer science, but you beat me to it. That method of recording inputs is basically how all the stuff at TAS Videos are made, only with single-frame precision in that case (plus a few other tricks).

The worst part about the western NES controllers was that little arrow indentation on the D-pad. That thing is murder on the thumbs with prolonged use. I don't know if the Famicom pads have the same thing.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

The Densha De Go episode made me remember that I got Railworks 3 for DIRT cheap during Steam's Xmas sale (it was 90%[!] off). So I fired it up and hauled some coal hoppers across the countryside. :haw: It's probably the most relaxing game I've ever played. Thankfully, RW3 isn't as harsh as DDG, in that, as long as you don't derail the drat train by being an idiot, you'll be fine.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

psluuthor posted:

It doesn't seem outlandish that Arino might someday challenge the Japanese version of Maniac Mansion on the NES. It might be more interesting to see how he measures up to an old infocom game, although I doubt any of them have been translated into Japanese.

Checking my favorite :filez: site, it appears there are (J) versions of all 3 NES-ported Infocom games (Shadowgate, Deja Vu, Uninvited). I would love it if he played those + Maniac Mansion.

...and I just realized ICOM =/= Infocom. Ah well, I'd still like to see those played at some point.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

DoDonpachi. I've heard the PS1 port is stunningly awesome, and would like to see it for myself.

Realistically, though... maybe Ape Escape?

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Ah, a fantastic evening with the Kacho and some tasty alcoholic beverages. I did Milon's Secret Castle, Super Mario World, and Kirby's Dream Course, back-to-back. Bless you, SAGCCX, bless you.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Gutcruncher posted:

我々アメリカ人は、この問題を解決するために装置を発明しました。
http://i.imgur.com/rD8Ru.jpg

We are Americans, we have invented a device to solve this problem.
http://i.imgur.com/rD8Ru.jpg

I hope his mind gets utterly BLOWN

I cannot wait to see his reaction to this.

Looks like I missed the arcade port discussion on the last page... The PS1 could've handled Simpsons Arcade fine, since from what I've always understood, the system doesn't really do 2D the conventional way (raster tiles or something).

Basically, if the below info is accurate, most 2D objects on the PS1 are actually flat polygons, so a whole new custom 3D engine had to be made for each game of the sort. I don't imagine that was an easy process to execute well (given the historically abysmal VRAM all consoles had to work with), hence the resulting products and the console's perceived reputation.

http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthread.php?21973

I think the PS2 and GameCube handle 2D in a similar fashion. The Naomi/Dreamcast's SH-4/PowerVR combo, however, could poo poo out actual sprites at ridiculous rates. The DC port of Giga Wing was really impressive in that regard.

Also, I agree with those that say the Simpsons arcade game has not aged well, but mostly because it was based off of (*Krusty groan*) early Simpsons. I find the first two seasons of the show to be completely uwatchable.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Gutcruncher posted:

The Saturn was certainly superior in Japan, but Id have a really hard time saying it was bad in the US.

Given its reputation as an arcade-at-home powerhouse, there were a pathetic amount of ports released here. I guess it makes sense, though, since arcades in the US were dead by then. At least Taito was brave enough to put out the only two shmups - Darius Gaiden (meh) and Galactic Attack (friggin awesome).

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

quote:

loving awesome Japanese arcades

I am incredibly envious of all of you. I would love to visit some of these and hopefully find some shmups (Toaplan :swoon:), beat-em-ups, and platformers. gently caress fighting games, except maybe early SF2s - those are simple enough for me to play.

A couple years ago, a friend and I drove west over the mountains (Blue Ridge, I live in VA) to an indoor shopping mall in Staunton (pronounced "stanton" for some reason). The reason? A listing on aurcade.com of a seemingly awesome arcade, and the only one in at least 100 miles in every direction. It was Saturday afternoon, but the mall itself was an eerie ghost town, most of the stores had been closed. Only a few haggard locals shuffled about the walkways. The arcade, located across from a movie theater, was a bit of a disappointment. A lot of games were different than the aurcade listing, and half of them were turned off and out of order, including Raiden Fighters, the one I was hoping for. Bah! But, a few choice games still worked. I convinced my non-gaming friend to co-op Alien Vs. Predator and we lasted like 2 levels on a credit (game was hard), but she was intimidated by Aero Fighters 2 so I played that alone. That was a nice surprise - a 4-slot MVS with AF2, Metal Slug X, one of the soccer games, and I think Puzzle Bobble. It wasn't listed on aurcade. I hadn't played AF2 in years, but I did what I consider very well on controls I wasn't used to - one-lifed it up to level 7 or 8 I think. Played credits in MSX, Terminator 2 (the one with the Uzis, I loved that game when I was younger), and Xevious, then we hit the basketball and skeeball and won a bunch of tickets between us. We probably should have redeemed them then, as we never went back again and she has since disappeared.

If I had more funds for gas money, I'd like to visit all the VA listings in aurcade and update the game list for each. And possibly find new ones.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

I noticed the dance pad they used was a GameCube one. I owned a GC at one point, but I don't recall SMB being one of the NES games you could play in Animal Crossing. How did they do it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

My guess would be either someone from Toaplan or Tecmo's Itagaki?