Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jimmy Colorado
Apr 16, 2010

rdbbb posted:

But it's the 'easy' version so according to the Internet I'm afraid you can't actually enjoy it

It's funny, I was just thinking "what's the harder version: SMB2 US, or Doki Doki Panic?" There seems to be two major differences between the two games: DDP has unlimited continues, but to get the ending you have to beat it with every character. SMB2 has only two continues, but you can get the ending just by completing it with one character. There are probably other differences that would have an impact on one's ability to beat it, but I've never played DDP!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimmy Colorado
Apr 16, 2010

Crotch Bat posted:

I'm 99% sure you just described all the differences. SMB2 was an exceedingly easy game for me(and a childhood favorite). Once you learned the warps it was nothing to blaze through that game. Much like SMB3 there were some challenging levels but those were mostly missed once you discovered the warps.

For me, the warps were what made the game a bit tough when I picked it up again recently! Because I was a dumb kid last time I played (OK I'm still a dumb kid), all I cared about were the warps, and I would trudge ahead and get crushed by the increased difficulty. Add to that, due to the warps, you didn't really complete levels/bosses, and because you only had a few bonus coins, it was easy to blow through your continues and get game overs.

Only when I took it stage by stage and collected the max number of bonus coins I could, then subsequently getting lucky as all get out in the bonus game for dozens of extra lives, did I find SMB2 pretty easy. Haha!

So by default, I think DDP would prove to be the tougher game to beat. You could grind through it, but there are some sections that were hard enough with Mario/Imajin; I couldn't imagine getting through with the other characters. Timing the jumps, etc. bleh.

Jimmy Colorado
Apr 16, 2010

Random Stranger posted:

Actraiser 2 - Arino's reaction to the lack of city building will be hilarious.

It's a great-looking and great-sounding game, but I think Actraiser 2 would make for a bad challenge. I would put it's difficulty on-par with Adventure Island, and could see time being called before he's 40% through the game. I mean, when the best TAS of Actraiser 2 clocks in at 40-45 minutes... I mean, that's flawless, know-every-boss-weakness, take-advantage-of-every-glitch gameplay right there. Anyone who's played the game would know it was hopeless from the word go.

And yeah, Arino would be miserable without his medieval simcity. Haha!

Jimmy Colorado
Apr 16, 2010

GidgetNomates posted:

For me this is the quintessential TV Nihon moment:

There is literally no reason you couldn't have just said salaryman.

What's even more funny is "salaryman" itself is a colloquialism. While just about everyone reading this thread knows that salaryman = suit-wearing businessman, it's not a word that has deep penetration for folks who speak English and aren't fans of Japanese TV shows.

What I'm saying is TV-Nihon should have had a translator's note for "salaryman". :colbert:

Jimmy Colorado
Apr 16, 2010

zari-gani posted:

or "no, he didn't mean sex, 'cause it's a kid's show."

Outrageously off-topic, but reading this reminded me of something and I didn't want to forget: considering it's time slot, is it safe to say it's not really a kid's show? I just finished a play through of Bionic Commando, but the Japanese title is something like "The Secret Resurrection of Hitler!" For the NA release, they cleaned up all the swastikas and SS thunderbolt things (although they left in the big bad as basically... well, Hitler) and replaced them with eagles or albatrosses or whatever. I bring it up because I think the game itself could at least make for a decent DVD challenge, IF Arino could get a handle on the swinging mechanic. If not, well, he'd never get past Area 6. But despite all that, would the nazi imagery make it a non-starter as a challenge game?

Jimmy Colorado
Apr 16, 2010

Heti posted:

But what is a Ryuketsu???

Clearly that's a typo.

Jimmy Colorado
Apr 16, 2010
Is there a special fishing reel controller for the Super Famicom that Arino could use with this game? Because that would be awesome.

I also think Kan should make Arino wear a fishing tackle vest. And a hat.

Jimmy Colorado
Apr 16, 2010
You know, it takes a little futzing around with Google maps, but you can see the mosaic of Nobunaga in Koei's courtyard. Google Earth is a little easier because you can adjust the pitch of the "camera", and reset north, etc.

I'm not one of the cool kids who knows how to link to a specific place on google maps, at a specific resolution (i.e. zoomed in all the way), but here are some lat/long coordinates: 35.550362,139.646818 From there, yeah, zoom all the way in, haha.

Sadly, the satellite passed overhead either early in the morning or evening, as the shadows are long and it's not the easiest thing to pick up!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimmy Colorado
Apr 16, 2010

Shlapintogan posted:

Well it's no fun if it's not a challenge!

Bart vs. The Space Mutants was loving bullshit, though.

Bart v the Space Mutants is what killed the last thread imo. All the other games prior to that were hard, but they were well-designed games; they were designed to be hard. BVSM was hard because it was a poorly designed game.

I remember when Arino was chewing through Paris-Dakar Rally, and it dawned on him that he was playing a "poo poo game". He'd pick up on BVSM the second he discovered the button to run and the button to jump were the same button!