Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

But it's not as funny when he plays good, not-especially-difficult games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Obviously the censors don't want us to know about the bamboo spear radish-eating revolution.

e: ^^^ Beaten! But yes, almost certainly.

Doc Hawkins fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Dec 28, 2011

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

I thought it wasn't Kotaku doing the translating, just the "broadcasting".

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Random Stranger posted:

2. That's outright wrong. Gawker media obtained the license and "hired" Bigger Boat to create their version (hired in quotes since Bigger Boat shares a lot of management with Gawker which makes their relationship muddy). Fuji TV didn't do anything with any English language version of the show; the one that they tried to sell in Cannes was produced by StyleJam and that was different from the one that Gawker produced. Gawker was completely responsible for the quality of the episodes they showed.

Thank you for helping me finally understand this! gently caress those loving guys!

Every bit of the Stylejam episode I've seen looked and sounded great. Exactly the right level of Iron Chef excessiveness. I guess they must have been too expensive?

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Comix Zone?! ARGHHHHHHHHH

]

I feel bad for anyone who has to translate all those little text bubbles.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dominic White posted:

Yeah - he asked a silly question, and she gave a silly answer. Don't forget that she's a fan of the show. After all, that's why she wrote in, hoping to be part of that particular segment.

You could even say she was asking for it.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Aren't some of the seasons fully translated? Batch torrents for those would be just as helpful as a Compleat Collection.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Jimmy Colorado posted:

I don't know if I have a favorite AD. I love love love Kibe though. :swoon:

Per the wrestling match, not experiencing the full backstory or hate Inoku MAX got, other than that fax calling him a bastard, if I was him, I would have played up the heel angle and worn a Team No Respect t-shirt or something. Really hammed it up like in pro wrestling during the promo. And then yeah, get beat in the wrestling match, and hammed it up some more. Have fun with it!

Based purely on stereotypes rather than any direct knowledge of Japanese pro-wrestling, I wonder if taking ~80 seconds to quietly say "I just have to win" down by the riverside might be their equivalent of grabbing the mike and yelling that they're gonna shove their opponent's fractured skull up his rear end.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Fickle Fascination posted:

drat, the ancient fax machine in work isn't working at all. I wanted to send this:

Though it's probably not a reference that would be familiar in Japan anyway. Ah well.

These all belong in the OP.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Edison Carter posted:

What the gently caress happened to that guy's hair?!?

He became one of the roppongi banana boys, apparently.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

joek0 posted:

I actually thought the dragon and bird on the throne represented US and Japan. I thought that the bird was an eagle which represented the US and that the dragon represented Japan.

It works on many levels.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Lock posted:

Are people looking for a reason to stop liking Arino?

See if you can follow: some people can enjoy a thing and also criticize it.

hosed up but true.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

I thought even the japanese DVD releases dropped everything but the challenges.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Runaway Bro posted:

I'm very sorry.

DO YOU KNOW ZA KACHOU?!

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Yeah, DVDs have become a weird archaic format that I don't understand why anyone uses anymore. Hopefully there's a digital version.

I think of them as a kind of slim, product-specific gift-wrapping.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Was it just my media player, or were there several times when the game failed to render the hero, an enemy, and the background at the same time?

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

How many of them play videogames?

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

MaskedTai posted:

So, if any of you guys have done this sort of thing before, how did it go? We have high hopes, but there's always the chance he could get burnt out or it's just not interesting.

Stream it on twitch.tv, promote it a few days ahead of time on twitter, facebook, retro gaming forums. See if Kotaku will mention you.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

What's the mouse joke in the original language?

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

I was scared enough just going through stage after stage of caves, thinking I'd never see the surface again.

That could be a pretty good episode.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Probably relevant to the thread's interests: 100 Yen, a documentary about the history of Japanese arcades.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

It comes earlier every year.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

I checked that JJ Squawkers game out on youtube because I liked the style of art and smooth animation, and it is :catdrugs: as gently caress.

There are power ups that make your bird throw different vegetables instead of tomatoes, and one that makes him throw constantly shifting random garbage sprites, including, if I saw right, a continue countdown.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

If you've already watched everything, convince your friends to watch a few with you. Makes old shows new again!

What're everyone's votes for the best episodes for getting people hooked?

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

I remember there being some challenge where Arino says hits a figurative wall and says something like "Ugh, I am just completely in despair," and then the Kan voice-over is all "'Complete Despair!' Not even when facing Ninja Gaiden were these words uttered!!"

I can't remember the game, but I remember laughing like an idiot at that moment, because it didn't seem like that hard of a game, just a terrible and boring one. Does anyone else remember this?

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Yeah, well, everyone dies at the end of Hamlet!

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Heti posted:

I love the clips they play in between segments too. Arino doing American things like "Sitting on a bench reading a newspaper" and "leaning against a wall" and "walking down a desert road".

You forgot "wearing sunglasses."

I hear that's real, though. Aren't sunglasses not a common thing in Japan?

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

zari-gani posted:

(Or will you?! We've got plans...)

I'm excited, but in a happy, patient way, free of expectations.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Because this is exactly the place to have that discussion.

(e: although yeah, not a good name)

Doc Hawkins fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Jun 29, 2012

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

He should play Grand Theft Auto 3, by Capcom.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Obeast posted:

Once Arino gets his hands on the rocket launcher, I think we'll have another ActRaiser-style episode where he ends up dicking around (mostly blowing up cars and people walking by) rather than continuing the story...

Yeah, for about a minute, before he blows his own rear end up or gets stopped by cops, losing all his weapons, and Kan intones a moral about being careless with power ups.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

This gives off a stronger cheap-piece-of-crap vibe than I have felt in many a moon.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

zari-gani posted:

In one part of the episode, the hosts blindfolded everyone and made them all smell a sweater, which Arino was able to correctly identify as his wife's.

thats uhh wow

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

pnumoman posted:

I'm really not sure any piece of software is going to match E.T. for sheer awfulness, ever. I mean, what other game is (partially) credited with (almost) killing off an entire industry?

Henry Ford once said that no one videogame causes a collapse, but that collapses happen when all the factors which make for them are ready, at which point they are inevitable.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

That Ninja Gaiden poster is amazingly bad.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

Funniest Arino moment as far as I am concerned is when he breaks his own mold a bit in the 24-hour Lemmings episode (19:40-20:00, video should start there):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rd2yiqghI8c&t=1180s

That is also my favorite line. Thanks for reminding me when it actually happened.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

In that new marvel fighting game, Deadpool has a super move where he smacks you around with your own health bar.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

In all seriousness, "kaeru" -> "toad back" is a brilliant translation.

Silentman0 posted:

Clearly the best part of either episode was Arino ducking to make the mouth open and making silly noises.

I find it difficult to believe that even a single kid did not do this back in the day.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

The only way the cover art for part 2 could have been better is if it somehow worked in a Charlie-Brown-and-Lucy pulling-away-the-football angle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

I have high hopes for Karnov's mid-episode Arino-photoshop eyecatch.