Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Ineffiable posted:

Maybe you could mention that the 'serious' translation movement has only been going on for... what, little over half a year now? We've gotten on average a new episode per week at that rate. There's just a huge log of episodes to go through.

You guys have done a good job of mixing it up with some recognizable stuff with obscure stuff that still manages to be interesting to watch (case in point, the two quiz games).

Yeah, I think it's better if we just leave it up to the translation team's best judgement. It's always nice to be surprised by the new episodes coming out :3:.

Also, imagine if instead of GCCX being translated, it was Gaki no Tsukai. That list would be exponentially larger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

I got a kick out of the part where Arino was playing Haggleman 3 and he fell through the floor on stage 1. The reaction it garnered along with that smug-as-all-get-out picture of Tanaka made me think of how I felt while I played Haggleman 3 about a month ago when pretty much that same thing happened.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

I can't remember if it was this thread or the previous thread that this was brought up in, but a lot of the enjoyment that can be derived from GCCX comes from Arino as a person as opposed to the games he plays. I think he was compared to a little brother who's bad at games but is just so excited when he finally makes progress. When he does poorly or makes a stupid mistake, you feel disappointed, when he succeeds, you just can't help but smile. It's not a straight feeling all the way through, each episode has their ups and downs that make the overall experience that much more enjoyable.

And I'm with Boogie on this one. If you're yelling at Arino for being bad at video games, your vocal chords are in serious poo poo.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Random Stranger posted:

Which is why the Game Center CX Drinking Game is:

- Take a drink when Arino is overconfident.
- Take another when that overconfidence is immediately shattered.

- Take yet another if he takes his hands off the controller in victory and it ends up backfiring.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Vlaphor posted:

- Take yet another if he is surprised by a boss's multiple forms.

- Up-end the bottle if the new form kills him.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

absolutely anything posted:

After humming it for like a week straight I noticed a certain something wasn't on Youtube. So I fixed(?) it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3jcCn8sPlE

And I had just got it out of my head too... :negative:

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Okay, so, remember how a lot of people were kind of adverse to the amount of cheese in cartoon meat? Well, I found this today. Now you can make your own. Even better, it's based on Golden Axe's meat, so it's related to another GCCX challenge! :buddy:

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

cronox2 posted:

http://kotaku.com/people/OtakuMan24/

:wtc:

Look, there's supporting a show, and then there's sounding like a complete lunatic.

Also, even if you spread the truth on KOTAK the hive-mind there would turn on you. Like so:
http://kotaku.com/5873102/32+year+old-homeless-man-found-dead-outside-japanese-arcade

:wtc: indeed. :stare:

I'm sure we can all agree that while the KOTAK subs are better than no subs at all for the Japanese-impaired, the fansub community, especially SAGCCX, is going leaps and bounds farther towards releasing quality, complete experiences when it comes to GCCX.

And if anything, fansubs do "support the Kacho" by virtue of making the show more accessible to English speaking audiences and getting the proverbial word out, which creates a larger audience overall.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Tsuruoka's weakness posted:

The E above High-C

Oh, Random Stranger, you cheeky devil.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

I would hardly call TV Nihon localization masters, but hey, at least they mentioned the show again. I haven't bothered to check GamingCX to see if they at least credit the SAGCCX team for the translations on the episodes they put up, but I get this sinking feeling they don't.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

I found S.O.S. for dirt cheap at a local store, but didn't pick it up explicitly because I had seen the SAGCCX version of the episode. The game is just executed so very poorly even though the concept is pretty sweet.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

You kids stop fighting or I'll get the belt. :bahgawd:

The Bomberman episode was absolutely excellent. There weren't too many points where I didn't have at least a big grin on my face.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Random Stranger posted:

Called it!

Hey, he's turning forty in less than three weeks. Go easy on the guy!

Masatoshi Hamada is nearly 50 and he's still doing batsu games. Arino isn't old enough to blame his lack of fitness on age. :colbert:

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Primoman posted:

Anyone know the name of the song playing in the Punch-Out!! episode when Emoto assited Arino?

I also really hope he comes back to this game some day.

He can't just stop at Popinski. We need to see him suffer through Tyson/Mr Dream.

If I remember right, it was Kids Return by Joe Hisaishi.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Random Stranger posted:

I don't normally do this but tomorrow...

You Will Bear Witness to History

I have work that I have to get done tomorrow. :negative:

I will have to work extra hard so I can bear witness to history.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

zari-gani posted:

The Japanese version is called Goldfinger 99 and was sung by Hiromi Go.

Not only that, that version of the song is commonly associated with the comedian Hard Gay.

I'm not sure I have an explicit favorite AD. They almost always bring a big, stupid grin to my face when they show up.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Bocc Kob posted:

I've never heard him use anything but the Ricky Martin version. Did he get complaints about it later or something?

I think I've heard him use Goldfinger 99 on some shows, but then again, I've come to the point in my life where if I hear the first bit of the song, regardless of version, I know Hard Gay is not far behind.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

So I've had a question mulling around in my head for the past little while. What's the music playing in the background at this point in the Lemmings documentary? If anyone could find it on its own, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Considering you can pick and choose files out of the torrents, season files would be pretty nice. Of course, individual episode torrents also seem to be working pretty well. I'm just happy we're moving to torrents because the last few direct download places are just awful.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

So I'm watching the Pac Man 2 episode and Arino just gave up on a crane game.

What kind of sick alternate dimension have I just walked into?

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Oh come on now, Pilotwings, he was on that platform. :argh:

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

CHIAKI :3:

She's still adorable.

Also, if he had turned a bit to the right, he might have landed that last one.

Doctor Hospital fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Feb 24, 2012

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

It makes me wonder who all's showed up to wish Arino a happy birthday.

Keep your fingers crossed, maybe we'll see Downtown before the show's over with.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Oh hey, it's Masahiro Sakurai!

And thank goodness. I was getting kind of sick of seeing level 6.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

I learn something new every day! :eng101:

Random Stranger posted:

Anyway this upload is going to take forever. :sigh:

Man, I was just about to go to bed. Why must you keep my sleep schedule in such a state?

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Random Stranger posted:

Go to bed. It's a hires version.

Edit: I know I've been doing overlays too long when I start playing Quest of Ki while the video is rendering and my immediate reaction to the Japanese text is, "How'd I miss that? Something else to overlay..."

vv You've got a minimum of five hour wait.

Ah. Well, that's alright, it's Saturday and I don't have anything to do except play Cladun and wait for the new episode. My sleep schedule's already hosed beyond reason anyway.

But yeah, thanks for the heads up on the ETA. :)

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

cronox2 posted:

Makes a great Vita lock screen as well. Good words of advice before you get back into your game:

Downloadable version here.

I am going to use the hell out of this.

Time to watch Go by Train!

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Primoman posted:

Could I also put down the request for more Vita-formatted GCCX screens? Preferably stuff with the king and queen sprites, or any funny/cool image of the Kacho himself?

The gentlemen and scholars over at NeoGAF found out that the Vita supports transparent images as backgrounds, and it'll show the wavy lines with the image overlaid onto it. If you can grab the sprites on their own, it'd be as simple as putting them onto a transparent 960x544 png and transferring them to your vita. They'd probably look nice in the corner of the screen.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Nickoten posted:

I know this is late, but holy poo poo if this exists I would never need them to make another episode again if they just did an unedited complete run through of the game with Arino (That or Dark/Demons' Souls but those are unlikely) That game's a big part of my childhood and I'd love to see Arino's reactions to it.

Edit: Also really happy that this project has led to at least one person getting a job opportunity!

I'd like to point out that while Demon's and Dark Souls are things that aren't likely to happen for a long while, those games are considered to be spiritual successors to the King's Field series of games, which debuted in 1994. So while PS1 challenges aren't the most common things in the world, it's not entirely out of the realm of possibility that the King's Field series could show up on the show eventually. It helps that King's Field was much more popular in Japan than in the US.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

cronox2 posted:

Picking Bart vs the Space Mutants as a challenge absolutely killed that thread. One of these days I want to relaunch it with better organization and scoreboards and such. It's still a great idea.

I was wondering where that thread went. If you ever reboot it and need people to come up with challenges, shoot me a PM.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

If I remember right, the person working on it was Zari-gani, and she's kind of got some other stuff on her plate. :v:

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

I rewatched a TV Nihon episode of GCCX while I was eating lunch the other day.

It just makes me that much more glad that I don't see "translator's note" on SAGCCX episodes. It also makes me glad that you guys try to localize things instead of leaving them untranslated.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Ineffiable posted:

How soon we forget:

edit: Countdown to kirby....

Dragon Slayer IV's catch card was the best one and no one can convince me otherwise. I'm just a little upset they didn't put Arino's face on the pet. It would've been difficult to notice at first glance, but god drat would it have been funny and/or horrifying.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Vlaphor posted:

I recently got a Vita and I want the lock screen wallpaper that was posted here earlier, but I don't even have a general idea where in these 100 pages to find it. Does anyone here still have it (and could put it up)? Thank you

Here you go.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

If you want a Matsumoto fix, you should visit the Japanese TV thread Matsumoto Appreciation Station .

Alternatively, consider watching some of his movies, like Symbol or Big Man Japan. They're pretty great.

Most of all though, catch up on the Batsu games. Just do it.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Y'know what I remember most about the birthday challenge? The rocketbelt theme. Because it was playing for so drat long.

I can't get it out of my head! :negative:

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Tempura Wizard posted:

now all we need is some pee-pee

:barf:

I just watched Yuuyu's Quiz de Go! Go! a couple of days ago, and while I wasn't really a fan of the game itself (which is weird, since I normally like the quiz games shown on the show), Noda enthusiastically shouting "GO! GO!" and making Arino crack up was the best thing.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Toonami's been brought back and airs on Adult Swim every Saturday. They even got Steve Blum back to voice Tom.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

No, I'm pretty sure that's serious.

Downloading the Famicom Jump episode now. I just got through with a bunch of work, so it'll be nice to sit back and watch Arino be bad at video games again.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

If I remember right, it was Anime Weekend Atlanta.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Gutcruncher posted:

Excuse me, you mean the Localization Masters at TV Nihon. How else could we watch this show starring Kachou Arino-san playing these kusoge gamesofts while Inokomax-kun receives teletextos from his Kaa-san? Theyre heroes, I tell ya.

:suicide:

I keep telling myself I'm going to get to work on stuff but then YOU GUYS just come and stop me. Every single time.

(Thank you for your hard work! :3:)