Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

zari-gani posted:

I never noticed that before. Looks like Captain Tsubasa.

I've made a mental note to own this game one day. It's a soccer RPG with kickass cutscenes for special kicks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

abraxas posted:

But, and this might just be me being stupid, didn't we already get a Ghouls'n Ghosts episode?

There's three episodes all in all. Famicom version (Season 2), Ghouls 'n' Ghosts on Genesis/Mega Drive (Season 5) and then we have Super Ghouls 'n' Ghosts on Super Famicom (Season 7).

edit:

techknight posted:

I'm not disagreeing exactly, but it's un-obscure enough that I remember it from magazine ads: http://www.retroist.com/2011/04/06/heiankyo-alien-for-the-game-boy/ :)

Wow, it's kinda crazy this game was even brought to west, much more considering it was actually advertised as being so Japanese.

jyrque fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Apr 9, 2012

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
Can anyone remember in what episode Arino and the gang went to a used games store to pawn off all the games featured in that season? I need to see it again.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
Thanks for pointing out Kid Icarus for me as the episode with the pawn shop but watching the episode again I realized what I was really looking for: the episode where they go to the same shop before. I think it's a TV Nihon subtitled episode and since there aren't too many of those I'll just look them over to find what I'm looking for.

And looking through, I did find it! It's Metroid, Season 2, episode 5. Reason I looked for it was the tamage segment where Arino and the gang buy and look through those surprise goodie bags. I remember it making me :3: all over seeing it for the first time.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
Post-apocalyptic Arino? I AM SHOCK!!

Maybe we'll see Arino's Hundred Cracks Fist?!

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

Uznare posted:

No, because he is old as hell and no one is old as hell in Hokuto No Ken.

Well, maybe ever-renegade Abe can open a can of whoopass.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
Oh! Another season that is almost completed! :woop:

I recently categorized all episodes into folders by season and it's really exciting to see just how much of GCCX is translated by various groups.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
Just came across this song. Wait until 0:50.

Edit:

VVVVVV

Oh right, that's true. After a hundred pages you forget there's an original post to begin with. Still, it's always a pleasure to be listening to something, only to suddenly be reminded of our beloved Kacho.

jyrque fucked around with this message at 10:25 on May 12, 2012

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

That is amazing and should be added to OP if not already.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

taopriest posted:

Night of the Sickle Weasel was kinda hard to watch. But the segments were great as always.

Hard? How so? Sure, it was text-heavy, but Arino narrated everything, making it rather easy to follow. When Arino had to stop to make a decision between multiple choices, at least I had to pause the video to read everything on screen, though.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
Didn't we have this same discussion in the last thread, with everyone agreeing it was 'Playstation Broadcast'? :v:

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
I was surprised to learn that SF2010 was actually titled that in Japan, too. Always thought it was localized into Street Fighter to sell the game to NES customerbase. "Finally a Street Fighter on NES!"

edit:

VVV

It was Kevin. There was no mention of 'Ken' in the Japanese audio.

jyrque fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Jun 1, 2012

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

zari-gani posted:

The localized version of Street Fighter 2010 changed the character name and whole story to make him Ken from Street Fighter. In the Japanese version the hero is an entirely different character called Kevin Striker and the plot is also different, which you can read about in the Wiki article. Because the GCCX episode shows the original story, this was one of those times I opted to use the non-localized name. I snuck in a quick mention at the beginning of the ep.

The localized story actually makes more sense than the original, considering the game's name. :v:

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

zari-gani posted:

I haven't seen GCCX's 2011 live New Years special yet, so this is my first time seeing this as someone uploaded this clip: they brought in a pianist who's famous on NicoNico Video (Japan's Youtube) and he performed a piano medley of all the battle music from Dragon Quest 1 through 9.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwL4GbfCFDU

Oh Arino. :downs:

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
Suda is a rude dude.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
My two personal favorites, mostly thanks to certain scenes are:

Ultra Seven:
The ending is just such crystallized Arino:

"Eh? :downs:
"...NO WAY!!" :supaburn:

Legacy of the Wizard:

"I made it." :smug:

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
I don't want to imagine what it's like after the deluge. :saddowns:

thankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyou

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
Mr. Arino - I don't mind if it's turning into a travel show - it's all good. :allears:

It's the arcade trips and other special segments that make GCCX so good.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

Bo Steed posted:

Granted, both of them had reasons they could get away with it, but if anything it heightens the absurdity.

It's part of the comedy routine. Personally I find it hilarious and also interesting that the staff has become so accustomed to Arino-style comedy while on the show. GAYcenter CX with Tanii, Toujima and surprise guest star Suda-chan comes to mind.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
When I was visiting Japan, I found it easier to pronounce default polite verbs ("u-words") as ssssu (arigato gozaimassssu.) than forcing myself to pronounce the u. I really hope I didn't offend anyone. But maybe I already did, going domo at cashiers. :aaa:

I'll join the Famicom Jump was kinda boring club. Best part was 40-year-old housewife Super Monkey Daibouken player. Other than that nothing really seemed to happen in the game.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
I can already imagine Abe growling with Steve Blum's voice.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

a big fwiggen terd posted:

Is there any way to get this in non us countries? Edit: the dvd that is? I've never ordered internationaly with amazon before.

International orders work great with Amazon, depending on the product. DVDs and other optical media in general are shipped globally.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
Personally I'd like to see Karateka, too. Arino and those wacky, weird Western games, man.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
New episode? Bless you all!

Random Stranger, where do you come up with all this fanart?

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

zari-gani posted:

Remember when Kotaku credited GamingCX.com? I think that's the funniest thing that came out of the gamingcx situation.

And credits for subtitles go to TV Nihon. :v:

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
Watching the Doki Doki episode, I can't but just wonder how much of the stuff shown here is just token Mario stuff these days. Then again, there's also a lot of things that were already relevant in Mario universe such as the invincibility star, Pow block and Bob-omb's distant cousin with muscle arms.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

Arthur D Wolfe posted:

Hey, if this guy (kinda NSFW) can have a steady girlfriend...!

That's because his hobbies don't include icky stuff like video games or anime. :downs:

oh my god how can she live with an obnoxious nerd like that :saddowns:

jyrque fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Aug 10, 2012

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
There's a new made-for-Wii-channel challenge translated by a random Youtuber by the name of DarknessSavior. Linking to his video instead of GamingCX's ripped video because credits should go where credits are due. He's apparently also looking into turning this into an actual project, acknowledging SAGCCX's existence and wishing to translate episodes you guys haven't done yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpGrgdKCFZU

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
Speaking of torrents, what happened to the season format? Episodes now come in just as files when there was a period of time when whoever made the torrents always placed the episode in a folder named "Season #". That way you could just dump the torrents in one GCCX folder and have everything go in appropriate folders. Not to mention you could (I think?) upload the torrent whenever there's a full season or at least create a new torrent easily if the naming/foldering convention is uniform.

It's not too big of a problem to just look up quickly from OP what season an episode belongs to but I still think it was a very good idea to just create torrents like "Season 13/Game Center CX 107 - Paris Dakar Rally.avi".

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

superh posted:

Just a heads up it's season 14 man!

I know, right! See how bad it is?!

Really, I don't mind the episodes not correctly foldered in torrent, it's just a nice touch. Besides, I sort of remember there being a discussion earlier in this thread or the previous thread about how this procedure would help to eventually collecting the episodes into season torrents.

Enough spergin', though. Thank you for Paris Dakar Rally Special, it became my favorite episode ever. That whole game is monkey crack insane.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
Thanks to English dub of Akira, I thought for the longest time you pronounce Ryu as Roy. :v:

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
I wonder if the Japanese wonder about western GCCX infatuation with Inoko MAX, him being so prominently displayed on the poster? Or is he as popular there as well?

I think Abe is popular everywhere so that's no contest.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

Three-Phase posted:

I'm not familiar with Japanese culture. Is Nakayama's excessive bowing actually seen as rude, or is just just a silly little "tick" of sorts?

It's not that it's rude, it's just excessive to the point of hilarity. Nakayama was probably really nervous: a lot of the new ADs seem to have trouble presenting themselves on camera.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
I wouldn't say that the difficulty makes Battletoads worse, it's just that it's the most frustrating kind of difficulty: pure memorization. NES games in general have an epidemic of this.

I think the reason Arino beat the game was because of this. Arino is king of patience and duke of hitting one's head to a wall.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

Mister Chief posted:

That's it. Is there a name for those type of shopping lanes?

Walking through Akihabara's back streets it's full of those sort of tiny stores packed next to each other. I don't think there's a word one, though.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

zari-gani posted:

I do wonder what the deal is with that. Exact same wording, too..

Sort of a nontopical question, but why do they type out Kou Shibusawa's name in katakana?

EDIT:

To Chi Ka posted:

IIRC, Kou Shibusawa isn't his real name.

And that seems to be the case, according to internet. Thanks for the clarification.

jyrque fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Sep 19, 2012

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

AwwJeah posted:

edit: OH! And Demon's Crest. FIRE BRANDUUU :argh:

You meant REDDO ARIMAAA, right? :spergin:

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
My DVD box materialized itself in the mail today. It was slightly smaller in size than I had expected but better so for actually displaying it on my DVD shelf which is miniscule to speak with. From a quick test on a European model PS3, the DVDs run just fine, even though the set is marked for NTSC. I hope this is as intended but if not, I hope zari-gani can relay us Europeans' message to DiscoTek:

some european GCCX fan posted:

Please keep any future GCCX DVDs region free. Thank you.

Since the box itself has been photographed to this thread time after time, I'll share the intro screen of DVD one:

It just made me :3: how retro video thematic the DVD version is from the get go.

Is it just my PS3 or are the episode subtitles really huge in size? Like physically huge on the screen.

I also confirm something I haven't noticed in the SAGCCX translated episodes: any moving image taken from a game flickers slightly. It must be something to do with differing frequency rate between the game that is captured to video, DVD and my LCD screen. It's just that I've never noticed this in any video file of GCCX, ever.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

DarknessSavior posted:

In Japanese, they call the place the "Galactic Science Academy", with "academy" from English.

I doubt that was required to understand the localization.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
I thought the segments only ran for one season (6 to 10 episodes) until a new one was introduced?

zari-gani posted:

No official reason has been stated, but the Japanese fandom speculates lack of interest. The whole thing was rather poorly received.

Boo, that's my favourite segment. :saddowns:

jyrque fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Oct 29, 2012