Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Nyagato posted:

I recently started watching this with the episode where he did the car shmup game (I'm terrible with names) and i find it terribly fun to watch even though I'm not much into retro games myself.

Also the games he recently does are so freakin' weird and hilarious. I mean, a game about a tengu destroying manhattan with the statue of liberty as a boss? Oh yeah.

Not only that, but we're still not clear on why exactly it's a tengu mask in Japan and a severed samurai head in the North American release. The obvious answer is "Americans don't know what a tengu is therefore head". The official answer is "We made it with the head for overseas release but switched to the tengu mask for the Japanese release 'cos the head's gory." This doesn't quite jibe with the fact that it came out in Japan first, but stranger things have happened.

Paul Bunyan is the real mystery of that game, in my opinion. Did they just hear "Paul Bunyan is a giant lumberjack" and go "Okay, screw reference art, we have enough to go on. Muscle Daddy, go!"? Or is this actually a prequel to Cho Aniki? The world may never know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Doc Hawkins posted:

But it's not as funny when he plays good, not-especially-difficult games.

Let's get our pennies together and send them a copy of Action 52 with a note about the Cheetahmen. And maybe some taffy or something.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Tyma posted:

Cheetmahmen was a huge internet meme in Japan a few years ago, but I imagine clearing the rights to broadcast the game would be about as feasable as clearing the game itself :{

Can a company that doesn't exist anymore exercise their copyright over something?

Heck, I'd do it myself on Local Access if it would get those guys to crawl out from whatever rock they hid under after 1994.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Sweet William posted:

Now, are we talking about Cheetahmen 1 or 2 here? Wikipedia says that Cheetahmen 1 was the featured game on a multicart, while it appears that the sequel (which was never formally released) is the one that the Youtube (edit: or rather, Nico Nico Douga) meme centers on.

In its original state Cheetahmen 2 cannot actually be finished without cheats/emulator witchcraft (also described in the wiki article), SHIKASHI, a rom patch was released quite recently which apparently fixes this problem and more. Obviously this could not be used on an unmodified cartridge, however if some enterprising fan took it upon him or herself to preload the patched ROM to a flash cartridge and mail it to them... who knows? On the other hand, as already mentioned, you run into the potential/likely issue of Nintendo frowning upon unofficial carts of any sort and/or non-domestic releases being featured on television, not to mention the quandary of how many people beyond internet dorks with too much time on their hands give two shits about Cheetahmen 2.

I'd be happier about them having something interesting in the "Weird poo poo Fans Sent Us" pile than having an actual challenge on it. :unsmith:

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl
Obviously TheDingo was buying Chinese knock-offs of Action 52. I think that counts as "going full circle plus a victory lap"

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Wandering Knitter posted:

One day he'll remember that end bosses always have multiple forms.

One day.

There's stuff like that, but then there's stuff like the one in Doraemon that hardly anybody saw coming.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Crotch Bat posted:

Sitting here watching a TAS of Quest of Ki and I can see Ki being really bad for this as well.

Got a link? I don't see one on tasvideos.org.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl
According to the little developer bit in the Rockman 2 episode, apparently Arino was in a game for Gameboy when Arino was just in Yoiko and Game Center CX wasn't a thing. Anyone have anything on this?

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

rdbbb posted:

And more recently...

Yoiko: Giggin' Frogs & Punching Chickens

And are you serious Mister Chief? Don't toy with our emotions...

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Jimmy Colorado posted:

Part of the problem, for me, is that for example, I'm watching him fight Bowser (Koopa). Through painful lurching and contortions, he's made it to the boss' third form. How can he be unable to time the cadence of his bouncing attack? I mean, Arino can write his own name, yes? Wasn't he a musician, a drummer, in a past life? (I remember this being mentioned when he played a drumming game in an arcade somewhere.) He runs right into Bowser, losing his Super status, and then runs right into him again, dying.

I'm yelling at the screen at this point! Look, I'm no super genius video game player and I don't want to sound like (too much of) a dick, but I didn't even know there was a Game Over screen to Super Mario World. I can barely watch this, but I need something to do while the Battletoads raw downloads. I suppose a big part of the appeal, as you say, is watching him struggle with game we ourselves struggled with. Watching him fail constantly with a game we could play with our arms tied behind our backs is pure agony!

On the other hand, you try doing the same thing only for hours on end and you also have to be funny.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Joctan posted:

I think super mario bros. 3 is as easy as mario world, and not only Arino, but Sasano and Toujima could not beat it. But again, I´m playing smb3 since I was 5 years old.

When I and my girlfriend where playing new super mario bros. wii, she was like "How do you know how to make that jump? You have played this game before?" and my response was "I dont know, mario jumps like that.." I have played mario games for so long that jumps and timing in general are natural and easy for me, but for my girlfriend who kick my rear end in puzzle games found very difficult.

Tell us more about your skill at platformers. :allears:

Also I was really surprised at how high-quality Quest of Ki looked, and the amount of poo poo that Arino went through that looked way harder than bumpheadhitspikes.gif

redmercer fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Dec 19, 2011

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Jimmy Colorado posted:

Wow, congrats dude. I could only imagine playing Quest of Ki if the President had been kidnapped by ninjas and that was in their list of demands (it could happen, people). Now why don't you take that diaper off and try a REAL CHALLENGE: Super Mario World.

Because, you know, according to the consensus in the thread, it's like hard. Or something. :rolleyes:

Here's a challenge for you: stop posting

Again, much love to the team.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Shlapintogan posted:

Okay, so, remember how a lot of people were kind of adverse to the amount of cheese in cartoon meat? Well, I found this today. Now you can make your own. Even better, it's based on Golden Axe's meat, so it's related to another GCCX challenge! :buddy:

That's a hell of a website. If it was a food, in a game, they'll have a go at making it. Some of it's a bit pedestrian, but on the other hand they made the pizza sundae.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl
King Mike of translation scene fame has favored us with a game of interest to any fan of Game Center CX!

Takeshi no Chousenjou -- Takeshi's Challenge

This was a big surprise to me, I didn't even know anyone was working on it!

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl
Hell, I'd just like to see him make it to Super Macho Man in Punch-Out!! so we can see the reaction to those pecs.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl
Well, while the thread is bumped, I'll point out for any NorCal readers that the Morris Graves Museum of Art in Eureka is having a display on the 53 Stations of the Tokaido, starting today (Jan. 4th) and running on until the 11th if I recall correctly.

(And sure as poo poo all it took was seeing that flyer to get that music going through my head again)

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Jimmy Colorado posted:

Fun thing I learned working in super market tabloid journalism: if a headline ends in an exclamation point, it's true; if it ends in a question mark, it's false. I can't write "Snot Man Raped and Killed a Young Girl in 1990!", because you'd then sue us for libel. But I can certainly pose the question, "Did Snot Man Rape and Kill a Young Girl in 1990? Turn to page 26 to find out!" That issue would sell like hotcakes. Hotcakes I tell ya!

Gawker and kotaku certainly fit the mold of super market tabloids on the internet.

You know, I bet that holds true for journalism in any form.

I have to wonder why the stuff that was cut from Kotaku was cut in the first place. Did they think nobody gave a poo poo about the Year in Review bits? Is it a giant spaghetti licensing nightmare? Did they think someone might be offended by the Everything I Need To Know I Learned From Strategy Guides bit?

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Crotch Bat posted:

That is unbelievably cruel. Quest of Ki was very similar. What is it with Japan randomly trying to gently caress you over at the last second?

Play through some of the early (hell, some of the LATER) Sierra adventure games and say that again. Ain't nobody got a dick move monopoly in games.

VVV A dick move policy does not constitute a monopoly.

redmercer fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jan 15, 2012

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

rdbbb posted:

ZEBIUS ZEBIUS ZEBIUS

Unfortunately there are no dating sims after those two.

Someone send him a copy of Hatoful Boyfriend

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Mister Chief posted:

I still cannot believe they haven't done Metal Gear. It seems really weird since they have done plenty of Konami games, Kojima was interviewed for the show, the game has been in the opening credits for years and the it would be perfect for the show.

And it'd be the perfect way to have the MSX on the show! (yeah, yeah, they'd probably do the Famicom version...)

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

rdbbb posted:

FYI, you can find this in the Jake Hunter game(s) for DS.

Care to clarify a little? I'm not sure exactly what you're saying we can find and where.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Goldwarf posted:

It's like the worst parts of every ROM hack ever made all rolled into one.

I'm sorry, but this is a far better thing than the lazy sprite-swaps you're thinking of; and a thing that's taking an awful lot of effort for a free flash game.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl
I guess now we know where the designers of the Game Center CX DS game got the idea for a ninja who'd die if his ankles got wet.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Bocc Kob posted:

I've always wondered about this for fansub stuff. I don't know any details of the legalities involved, but if the lawyers ever got riled up, wouldn't the first place they go after be the people dropping "brought to you by us! Only go to this website if you want to see this show!" splashes all over the place? :v:

I believe there is some case law already pertinent to a case like this... I believe it was Dracula v. Rutabaga

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Nickoten posted:

What does this mean? :ohdear:

They found a game center/onsen that actually has the machines in the bath. Arino loses his towel at one point.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Son Ryo posted:

I also remember they showed the one where you have a car and can jump to move between different levels at least two times, but I couldn't name the episodes.

I think they've shown City Connection at a game center and also as one of the showcase segments. It may well have been showcased twice, though.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

genredleader posted:

Takeshi's Castle?! "Majide?!" I wonder if he's going to wonder if he did anything to anger the staff enough to make him play ANOTHER Beat Takeshi game. :xd:

Wait, how many games has Beat Takeshi made? Wouldn't mind seeing a remake of that for Kinect, though.

That Ring Ring Tactics section was just full of surprises.Leaving the obscene phone call aside, was that a British number or does Vodaphone provide service outside of GB and India? Pity they didn't answer.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Grawl posted:

Why did Arino ask that woman's cup size in the Ring Ring Tactics part of the last video? :psyduck:

Why did she even respond? :psyduck:

I dunno, I liked the part where he asked what celebrity she resembled, or animal.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl
It might just be my honky showing but I was still thinking "Kenny Blankenship and Vic Romano" the whole time.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl
I was inspired to make a thing, and I wanna post it here first

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

JeSo posted:

I'm not sure if "your US producers" means Kotak, but hopefully conquering mountains means a better quality US release.

Nah, I think he's coming to America to score with fat chicks.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

makere posted:

I'm just gonna say that the episode is amazing. Thanks to everyone who worked on it.

When I first watched the 24hrs raw, I thought Arino was going to sleep when he went to the radioshow, I should've never doubted him.

Japanese comedians are nothing if not hardcore.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

ExiledTinkerer posted:

I absolutely lost it time and again for the Abe(the food!), Wrestling,and Tanii segments---I guess we are lucky that the SEX parody of the show isn't shadowing it directly otherwise the segments would just be too ridiculous considering how far the real team already took it into hilarious creepiness.

The 24-hour segments alone would probably get the Health Department involved. Moshi Moshi Tactics would get a lot more interesting, though.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

zari-gani posted:

Yeah, but what are they doing in that video? Hiro's just writing down words Arino gives him because... his writing is bad? Were those signs used in the game itself in the end? I feel like I need to know more about the game to understand the context better.

I was surprised to hear Batman referred to as a bad game too. I think it's pretty cool, albeit a Ninja Gaiden ripoff.

Fester's Quest, on the other hand. "I should've listened to the Angry Video Game Nerd" is all I can say about that one. I think I'd rather play the Fester's Shock Machine.

Let Everdraed heal your wounds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nt0uLCI14YA

Also I kinda feel sorry for Hiro there. Poor guy's just built for comedy.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Command Ant posted:

Arino has a real "Joel Hodgson" quality to him. I'll bet they could switch jobs and do just fine.

God, I don't know what's meaner; making Arino watch Manos: Hands of Fate or making Joel play Takeshi no Chosenjou.

I would like to see the Torgorino they would no doubt make for the commercial bumper, though.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Cemetry Gator posted:

Holy poo poo! I just realized who Beat Takeshi is! He's the guy from Sontatine - aka, the only reason you would have to buy the Zatoichi movie on DVD. It was a bonus disc, and it was a really good but really stark and dark movie. He plays a troubled mob boss.

Pretty much, he was a comedian who turned into a serious film maker, and if you can find Sonatine, watch it.

If you want to see him in a good funny role, watch Kikujiro.

He still plays a stiff jerk, but it's heartwarming! Really.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

pnumoman posted:

1: It's a complete joke. The ranks are corporate ranks; obviously, Arino is not actually an office worker.

2: Arino wears an engineer's jumpsuit. It's a bit odd, but nothing unusual. Think doctor or nurse going out for lunch in scrubs.

3: He is a real celebrity. Maybe not the hottest comedian in Japan, but he is a legitimate celebrity.

EDIT: Excuse me, he wears an engineer's coverall, not a jumpsuit. I believe that's the proper term since he wears a shirt and tie underneath.

I prefer the term "speed suit"

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

makere posted:

That pizza looks horrible, but I'd eat it anyways so that Abe-sama wouldn't get mad at me.

On a 1-10 on the weird Japanese pizza scale that's about a 3, tops.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Ineffiable posted:

See Gaki no Tsukai: Absolutely Tasty series.

Y'all need to look this up, yo. It's worth it to see a gang of Japanese comedians eat a pizza with marinara, cheese, and breath mints.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Beer_Suitcase posted:

edit: One question/issue I have is when I try to play the episodes on my Xbox the subs can't be seen because they are off the screen. The only episode I have been able to watch on my Xbox without an issue is the Pac-man 2 one.

If you're using XBMC on a standard old Xbox...

1. There's an option somewhere to adjust where subtitles appear.
2. You might want to downsample the videos if you're streaming them.