Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

DeepSpaceBeans posted:

You just blew my mind because I do happen to have a working Action 52 cart and never thought of it as being much more than famously terrible.

I remember that I bought 3 of them when I was a kid (52 games for the price of one? I'd be stupid not to buy it), but each one was defective. I didn't try a 4th time...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

Mister Chief posted:

Action 52 cost $199 when it was released in 1991 so I highly doubt this. You probably had more generic Chinese multi-carts.

Nope, there was a shop that was clearing them out for $50. And I didn't purchase 3 at once, I bought and returned it three times before giving up.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

joek0 posted:

Next Episode:
#133 Battletoads Part 2
1/12/12

Good to know he is not giving up without a fight.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

Sweet William posted:

There were 6 LucasArts games released for the Fujitsu FM Towns computer.

I would kill to see a Monkey Island GCCX...

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
Snowed in this week so I rewatched Out of This World yesterday. Can't wait to watch Flashback!

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

techknight posted:

How the hell do so many of you have a 3DS? :psyduck:

I still play games on the Virtual Boy from time to time but the 3DS makes me want to hurl.

Some folks (like me) actually love 3D and have none of the common symptoms. I have a Virtual Boy (more as a desk accessory), 3DS, and a 3DTV that I use for gaming as much as possible.

A little more back on topic, retro gaming and GCCX is actually kind of fun to watch in 2D->3D mode. My TV seems to really like the clear contrast of low res sprites, so it makes them pop off the screen and backgrounds fall back. Every component is still completely 2D, but everything looks heavily layered like looking in a diorama.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
Wow. I really wish there was some way to campaign for him to play Monkey Island. It would actually be a great fit timewise for a challenge if he has never played it before.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
It isn't clear if the episodes will be edited down to just the gameplay or not (like Kotak).

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

Obeast posted:

Poor Arino... That game looks loving brutal as hell and not in the "Super Meat Boy" kind where it can get to controller throwing hard, but still fun. :(

The thing about Super Meat Boy is that it is insanely hard but the controls are perfectly implemented so you can never blame anyone but yourself for failing. Difficult retro games are far worse because there are so many glitches and control issues that cause the difficulty to be there in the first place...

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
Thanks for another episode. It's Monday and you already made my week!

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

NBHS posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AHVSamD5WQ

TASers are nuts. This video shows one series of inputs that beats both Mega Man X AND Mega Man X2. And this is on the fairly tame end of the spectrum.

That is the weirdest things I've seen in a while. You can pick out some scenes where they clearly sacrifice in one game to help the other... but that is wild.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

NBHS posted:

Bonk's Adventure:
Not only is it a great game and a great challenge (even dealing with that... erm... setback), but the recap of the Ki challenge shows the lengths to which these people will go for the sake of old video games. Also, CARTOON MEAT. "Do you think they had cheese in this era?"

Add to that the fact that he gets totally screwed by a bug. Not a glitchy old game system like in other challenges, but an honest to god gameplay bug.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
Really enjoyed the Wrecking Crew episode. The fact that it was 100 unique levels and took 27 hours yet had no ending at all was a kick in the gut. Also, "Black Kirby" was both the meanest and funniest thing ever said on the show.

Lifespan fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Jun 21, 2012

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
Another fantastic set of episodes. Thanks guys!

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
If I recall, Xseed said they would need to sell at least 100k copies of RGC for it be profitable (and warrant bringing over the second). The actual sales numbers were less than 60k.

EDIT: Was off by an order of magnitude. Ouch.

Lifespan fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Aug 16, 2012

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

Lock posted:

The Game Boy version of MKII was surprisingly playable. Ran faster even than that Street Fighter II shown earlier. Even more surprising when you compare it to how horrific the first MK was on the Game Boy.

Mortal Kombat 1 on Game Gear was actually a very faithful port. I think it was missing a character or two, but it looked and played very well.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
Battletoads on GCCX... I just gasped so loud my wife asked what is wrong. I told her she would need to go read a book or something...

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

FredMSloniker posted:

Am I the only one avoiding watching the episode until the second part is released? I'm bad at cliffhangers. :ohdear:

I would say watch it since it actually doesn't end in a cliffhanger. This is the first 2 episode challenge that they didn't really make a big deal about. They just say the game is going to get even harder in the second episode.

It's probably due to the fact that I love the game and still find it stupid hard, but this is already my fav GCCX episode. It's a perfect challenge for the show.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
You guys are so awesome.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
Only 2 weeks until the DVD release. Stoked.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
Being an Amazon buyer, I'm still awaiting my order, but that is a fantastic line up of episodes. It contains most of my favorites and combining all of the Mighty Bomb Jack attempts in to one is perfect.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

The Cheeto posted:

If you're going to Portland you have to check out Ground Kontrol.

Ground Kontrol is awesome. The 4 player Pac-Man battle game is crazy fun.
The Kickerstarter failed, but Pink Gorilla said that they have enough private backing to make this happen soon (in Seattle). The Level-Up Pixel Pub! http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/pinkgorillagames/pink-gorilla-presents-level-up-pixel-pub-and-gamin

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
I too did not really like the English language version, though obviously after watching so many SAGCCX subs I am just used to the Japanese voices. And to follow up with zari-gani's question from last week, other than the side segments missing, the DVDs feel exactly like the SAGCCX subs. The DVD collection is great and I am more than ready to pre-order Discotek's next Retro Game Master set.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

Kerfuffle posted:

The Battletoads episodes are everything I hoped they'd be. Arino is having SO MUCH FUN and the atmosphere of the show is infectious. :3:

I agree completely. I have watched those episodes so many time already because Arino is enjoying it so much despite the challenge that it is just fun to watch him play it.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

Heti posted:

and now I get to watch Arino do it. yay?

Anytime it's Arino, it's a genuine yay!

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
I played the whole line-up they had at E3 and was pretty unimpressed. There was no must have experience for me. That said, I am a sucker for Nintendo stuff and I know I will probably end up grabbing one in the next few months anyway.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

Tobaccrow posted:

Or they didn't want to cannibalize the sales of the PSP port (currently $22 on PSN).

Exactly. I have been wanting to grab PaRappa on PSN for a while, but I can't justify paying more than I did when it was popular on PSX.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
The Parappa episode was fantastic. Thanks!

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
The Saturn was pretty bad in the US, but the line-up was solid in Japan. The Dreamcast had a pretty great lineup worldwide thanks to Sega's arcade hardware.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
I'm loving the Princess Tomato episode. I never played it on NES, so the game looks like the most boring, insane thing ever. The fact that the game literally almost bores him to sleep is something special.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
To close the loop, here is my MVS (showing Top Players Golf, but there are some Metal Slug carts in there) with some GCCX love.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
I love the Virtual Boy. I'm surprised how few gamers actually knew it existed, let alone that it was a standalone Nintendo console that got full release in the US and Japan. Played it a ton and it has now been a conversation piece for 15 years.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
Are the intros always written? There seem to be quite a few episodes where it seems like Arino is just telling a story about something that happened to him recently. The "reveal" of every game is definitely not a surprise to Arino.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
They definitely have backup plans ready. There are plenty of games where they give him a huge tip or cheat early in the game and some where they hold out for a long time. It's all designed so that they can get enough footage to make a good episode.

Then there are cases like Ninja Spirit...

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
Any word on how many copies of RGM have been sold on DVD so far? I would assume the DS game would probably be in the same ballpark.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

Mister Chief posted:

I think it being a DS game would hinder it's sales quite a bit. A 3DS package consisting of the original and the sequel on the other hand...

Despite it being on DS, it really doesn't need the touch screen or the ability to show both screens at once. No chance of it happening now, but I imagine porting it to WiiWare, PSN, Steam, and XBLA wouldn't be huge and could have made it an indie hit.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

Random Stranger posted:

Discotek is definitely aware of what we're doing. The man in charge there has posted in this thread and this is why zari-gani did the new translations for them.

I feel that as long as we avoid being too much trouble everyone is happy to let fans get stuff that they won't see otherwise.

I hope sales of the DVDs are going well and that will prove fans of the show are willing to back it up (and we get another volume). I would happily purchase every subbed episode you guys release if that model were an option going forward. ...and on that note, why aren't their any companies that try to push fansubs into digital marketplaces and get official licensing to publish? Seems like these niche shows could sell for a couple bucks an episode and everyone involved could get a taste rather than it being a legal grey area.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
Will this be a ROM translation or a complimentary guide/text file? Or is someone actually going to publish the game in US?

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

Gutcruncher posted:

Nah, I promise our entire generation will remember CROSSFIRE on our deathbeds.

"You'll get caught up in the!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
Another release? You guys are nuts in all the best ways.