Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
I wonder if they were worried that the game would be too easy, and that if he knew the tricks, he'd breeze through it...

How wrong they were.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
This is exciting. I am excited. Look, I'm making my excited face.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

zari-gani posted:

Sweet display in Tokyo:

This has to feel pretty surreal for you.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Erwin Tuwonwon posted:

Ironically, there's an extra ten minutes of screaming girl.

It's not fair (very little in life is) but screaming american girl makes for much better TV than respectfully subdued fan. rdbbb should have come in riding someone dressed as Yoshi. That would have gotten him some screen time.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

The Muffinlord posted:

Whoa wait where the gently caress does this fit in my painstakingly sorted collection?

I believe it should be SP1 (according to the OP) and S00E31 (according to thetvdb).

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
I will be reversing that slipcover as soon as I get the shrink wrap off of it, and everyone else should do likewise!

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

ImpAtom posted:

Nooo, why did I order from Amazon? :smith:

$8 cheaper and free shipping?

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
What are the 3 items in the upper-right-most carts? The red, yellow and blue ones.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Chococat posted:

Red is a weird little foam stand with the king on it. Yellow is a rpg style map that is a giant sticker (I think?) Blue is an A5 size notepad inside a gccx folder. The notepad is just plain grid paper though.

Chococat, I will happily overpay you immediately for a keychain, both available pasmo stickers, the ¥210 rpg map sticker thing, the king pin (in the purple cart, that's a pin right?) and the "too much TV game" folder. An absolute ton of thanks in advance! :D

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
That's correct as far as my hopes and dreams go.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Chococat posted:

The pin sold out, sorry :(

It's hard to be sad looking at that pile of stuff!

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Chococat posted:

(oops! Good thing I packed a lunch!)

I have a feeling that your sacrifice will not go unrewarded. :)

Did you tell them you were buying stuff to ship to overseas fans?

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
Cambodia is one of those places where I know what it is when someone mentions it, but if you asked me to make a list of Asian countries from memory, I would never come up with it.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Bradster posted:

Anyone know what happened to Alluvion?

The domain registration expired on 2012-09-22 and r1ch didn't renew it. His last post on the forums was a month ago. Does anyone know him outside of the forums? He's got a very narrow window in which he can reclaim the domain before it gets incredibly hard to recover.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

the least weasel posted:

Well again that wasn't particularly my point but whatever.
I fear that your points, however valid or invalid, were lost when you only started speaking about them after insulting everyone in the thread. You know that's not the best way to get an intelligent discussion started. Your later posts seemed to be genuinely interested in getting the thread to allow dissenting opinions, but do you really think the best way to accomplish that goal is to start off by deriding everyone and calling them immature?

The guy doesn't like dubs. That's okay, neither does anyone here, really. I don't think anyone here has held back when offering their opinion of the dubs for the show. The difference, I feel, is that no one here is so offended by their mere presence that they will refuse to consider the other merits of the set.

He also doesn't like the games blog Kotaku, and again, I don't think anyone here really likes Kotaku either. It's just that people here aren't willing to throw the baby out with the bathwater simply because Kotaku has a tangential role in the DVD set.

But those are his opinions and I have no problem with them or his sharing them. What rubbed me the wrong way was his textbook case of Entitled Internet User. Suggesting that because zari-gani has made some of her subtitles available for free that no one should ever consider compensating her for other work she does is insane. "THEN WHY SHOULD YOU BE PAYING FOR IT!?" How about because sometimes people do things for free and sometimes they don't.

Anyway, you wanted us to have a discussion while respecting dissenting opinions. The problem is that most of his opinions aren't all that dissenting, it's just that he has a very poor attitude, a childish sense of entitlement, and a very distorted view of the way things work. He openly encourages a boycott-via-piracy of a product that someone in this small community has been instrumental in making. That's what has everyone so riled up, and I hope my comments have made the situation clearer for you.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Dracozon posted:

Dude,learn to spoiler tag. Cool poster and everything,but just don't go spoiling episodes. Not cool man,not cool. :saddowns:

Dude, learn to not quote spoilers. Now even if he does retroactively fix it, your post is going to just going to compound the issue.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Chococat posted:

Dropping the first wave of swag into the post in about 15 hours! zari-gani, Vlaphor, Xamphear, Humongous Pear and Joshuadel should have exciting surprises soon! I've sent messages out to the remaining people about their items.

I got my stuff today! It is awesome! You are awesome! The surprise made me laugh out loud.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Random Stranger posted:

So here's the first in a series of videos covering the material that Discotek can't use.
You are doing god's work.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
Got my DVDs! Just one problem, though: The idea of putting in a disc to watch something is soooooo 2005. What's the best software to format shift these discs with, while retaining the subtitles? Handbrake?

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

a big fwiggen terd posted:

After much um-ing and ahh-ing I decided to order the dvd. God knows how i'm going to play it seeing as I dont have anything thats region1 compatible.

You're in luck! According to DVD Decrypter, the discs are region free AND drm free:

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Mister Chief posted:

Did you find a solution to this yet?

Ripping the video is easy enough, especially since the discs aren't even encrypted with CSS. The subtitles are a bit more effort. I think I'm close, and when I sort it out, I'll put together some tips or something.

Edit: Yep, I think I've got it.

xamphear fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Oct 3, 2012

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

zari-gani posted:

Everyone who's gotten the DVDs so far, I'm eager to hear your opinions on it. How does it feel watching it? Does it pretty much feel like an SAGCCX release or is it a different experience? Does it do the show justice?
It feels exactly like an SAGCCX release. It's almost uncanny. It made me realize how much I've come to expect and appreciate your version of Arino, right down to the droppin' of the letters. You could cut and splice these episodes with the extra segments files and they would flow perfectly.

Anyone who has a "problem" with this release is doing themselves a huge disservice by avoiding it. The whole set is almost too good to be true when viewed in the right light. It's legitimatized SAGCCX releases we can buy and support not only Arino and the show, but your translation efforts as well.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

zari-gani posted:

Awesome. What about the translation of on-screen text and in-game text? I know that due to technical limitations they can't do overlays...

The lack of overlays never gets in the way of enjoying the episode. It's as simple as that.

Are overlays awesome to have when downloading the encodes that Random Stranger and Gutcruncher (et. al.) produce? Totally, and that attention to detail and dedication never goes unappreciated. But the show is entirely worth watching even without having every word of on-screen text translated and overlaid (with a few exceptions for really text-heavy games).

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Mister Chief posted:

Is there a mix of 16:9 and 4:3 episodes on the DVDs?

Yes. I think there are 4 or 5 16:9 episodes, and the rest are 4:3.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Lobst posted:

I've been spending a few hours in Handbrake ripping them and organizing them specifically for my dedicated GCCX external drive.
I had a hell of a time finding a version of Handbrake that would burn in the vobsubs properly. I ended up downloading the latest version of VidCoder (which is just a different front end GUI for Handbrake) and the SVN snapshot of Handbrake that it is based on worked better than any of the packaged versions of Handbrake I could find.

If you went with burned in vobsubs, double check the intro segments (Ninja Gaiden 1 is a good example) where the top of the screen says "Shinya Arino (of Yoiko)" and the bottom has the dialogue. All the versions of Handbrake that I tried did this weird thing where the top part would flash in and then disappear whenever the dialogue at the bottom changed.

If you went with just adding the vobsubs to the MKV as a subtitle track, then you probably won't have any issues, every version of Handbrake I tried could do that properly.

I also played around with OCRing the subs and got SubRip trained pretty well, but of course going that route means you lose all the positional information, and you'd have to convert it from an SRT to an rear end/SAA and then fix all the placements by hand. If anyone actually wants to do this, I can send you my SubRip matrix file and it should give you a head start on training the OCR engine.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Random Stranger posted:

Discotek's DVD's are shipping so it's time for some additional support. Obviously (as Ray covered) Discotek's license only covers the challenge segments. Everything else in these episodes is unlicensed and we know how much people want to see it.

Do you have plans to produce these segments-only videos for the previously GCCX translated episodes? (ie: clock tower, sos, ninja gaiden 2, etc)

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

FredMSloniker posted:

An issue I've noticed with the subtitles, aside from the 'a little italics italicizes the whole line' issue, is that on widescreen episodes, the subtitles are stretched horizontally.

I too noticed this, but I felt like the situation was the reverse. The fonts look better/normal for the widescreen episodes to me. On the 4:3 episodes the font looks really tight and narrow. Look at the letter "o"... In the 16:9 eps, it's round, but in the 4:3 eps it's an ellipse.

FredMSloniker posted:

And presumably people are hardsubbing for their own use and not to hand out to a bunch of people instead of having them buy the DVDs, riiiiight? :v:

I'm hardsubbing them because there's no scenario in which I can picture myself ever watching them without subtitles, nor is there a scenario in which I can picture myself swapping stupid plastic discs to watch a video on the one device in the house that can play stupid plastic discs anymore.

Random Stranger posted:

It's all coming. One day at a time.
That's excellent, thank you.

xamphear fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Oct 5, 2012

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Hokuto posted:

This didn't happen in ShinYaguchi's initial fansub so I assume it's an oddity with the DVD encoding?

Yep, the first phantom is grey in both my encode and on the DVD raw files. I thought it might have been some sort of deinterlacing artifact, but it's present on the source.

Random Stranger posted:

You may have seen this before but we want to have everything available. So check out the segments for episode 043.

Thanks for this. I'm planning on just keeping my DVD rips plus these separate segments files.

xamphear fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Oct 6, 2012

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Intentional or did it slip past?

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

zari-gani posted:

I know a lot of fans will still buy DVDs with episodes they've already seen subbed, but...
It's just my two cents, but I think you have people who will buy the DVDs and you have people who won't, and it doesn't really matter if they contain previously unsubbed content or not. The number of people who are going to look at a $50 DVD box set and think "you know I wouldn't pay for this, except it does have 2 unsubbed episodes!" has to be a vanishingly small number.

Oh, and then you have people like that amazon reviewer guy who won't buy anything released in the US ever and screw you for even asking. :)

xamphear fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Nov 10, 2012

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
DKC for me!

Edit: As of my vote, it's a tie!

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Mister Chief posted:

Are the DVDs region free? I'm about to order them.

xamphear posted:

You're in luck! According to DVD Decrypter, the discs are region free AND drm free:

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Random Stranger posted:

A quick break down of the games in the remaining four challenges of the first 100 (okay, 112):
There are only 4 untranslated episodes in the first 112 episodes? That's... Really incredible.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
Based on the timestamps of the files on my hard drive, in 2012 a total of 71 episodes* were translated (or re-translated). This includes all of the Retro Game Master DVD episodes, Nintendo Channel episodes, and the compilation episodes.

This works out to 1 episode roughly every 5 days. That's loving crazy.

* Assuming no more episodes are released in the next 11 days.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

TechnoSyndrome posted:

Is this a problem with all copies of the DVD
Most likely yes. It happens on my copy.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

23 hours, 9 minutes...

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
Such a great game, I hope that it translates into a fun challenge to watch.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Mister Chief posted:

I got my pins. :dance:

Thank you Chococat.

Same here. Thanks again Chococat!

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

ImpAtom posted:

You're still right that they're really uncomfortable jokes and the low point of any episode they're in.

With the one possible exception of the time that Arino gave her some food to hold while he played an arcade game and she ate it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

193 megs?!? Wooooooaaaahhh.