Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
Video access restricted due to "heavy delivery." I hope someone mirrors it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

DoomSickleII posted:

I think the voltage in the US and Japan is the same, the only place that i know that is different is Hong Kong.

I assumed this when I went to Japan, but my US-made digital alarm clock ran slowly when plugged into an outlet there, which led to me oversleeping on my first morning there. That was embarrassing.

Game consoles tend to run fine on both types of voltage, and the outlets are the same, but the voltage is definitely different between the US and Japan.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

evilalien posted:

The voltage is slightly different (120V in the US vs 100V in Japan), but the reason your clock ran slow was because parts of Japan have an AC frequency of 50hz while your clock was designed for 60hz.

Oh, so that's what it was. Cool, now I know. :)

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
I feel the same way about that contrast. I make a habit out of watching speedruns of games after I see them on GCCX, assuming I can find one on SDA. It's kind of cathartic to see someone completely trivialize something in a matter of seconds that Arino (or I) would spend hours or days struggling with. I still enjoy both styles of game presentation, though.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
That article doesn't mention it, but it's also customary to actually read the other person's business card, as opposed to just filing it away without a second glance like we do in the US. Many business cards also include the person's university degree(s), and this can become a conversation topic during the exchange.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
I would beg to differ since obviously people from this thread that were drawn here by fansubs ended up actively joining the fan event in LA. I would posit that fansubbers directly contributed to GCCX's actual reception in the US at that event, while Kotaku did absolutely no advertising for the event when they were in the most prime position to do so.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Doc Hawkins posted:

I thought it wasn't Kotaku doing the translating, just the "broadcasting".

No, Gawker licensed their episodes and had them translated through a third-party company, then chalked all translation issues up to Gawker having no control over what that company did, which is an outright lie. The client always has control and input into the finished product in cases like those. There's plenty of blame to go around for everyone.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
It's never been specified beyond being "surprisingly cheap."

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
Jake Hunter Detective Story: Memories of the Past is currently available on Amazon for $12.25 and qualifies for free 2-day shipping for super saver members. I went ahead and ordered a copy for myself.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
They're also fond of using Bolero in segments like that.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

zari-gani posted:

Besides, we don't translate yen to dollars (except in that 24H compilation), km to miles, centimeters to inches in our translations... Is that bad? Serious question.

I don't consider this a bad thing. The only measurement translation I've had an issue with was in the 52 Stations of the Tokaido episode, when the term li got translated as miles. A li is about half a kilometer, so calling it a mile is pretty significant difference. It was largely incidental in 52 Stations, so not a huge complaint. I consider it sillier in the Three Kingdoms subs I'm watching, where they discuss military camps spread over 700 li but just say 700 miles instead. It gets kind of ridiculous at that point.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
That part's fine, really. What gets me isn't translating li as miles, but doing that while not converting the actual numeric values when they are somewhat important, like in the Three Kingdoms example I cited. In the 52 Stations episode, it was minor enough to be incidental and not really matter in terms of breaking immersion or anything, and it was actually somewhat necessary when considering the numbers shown on the game screen itself. It's just something I thought was worth mentioning while the subject was brought up.

In general, I support maintaining in-show measurement units unless a client specifies otherwise or there's a real chance viewers won't know what something is.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

zari-gani posted:

Guess who Discotek Media is hiring to re-translate all the episodes.

:j:

Man, now I'm even more exasperated that my contractor was passed over for the initial translation of those Kotaku episodes. My contractor told them I was familiar with the material, ready to go at a moment's notice, and even ready to work at a discount to do them, but Kotaku went with that other contractor's work instead.

Congratulations, and good luck on getting those original transcripts if they still exist. I've never managed to get one for a show like that.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

zari-gani posted:

I never heard about this! That's too bad. I wonder why they went with the other contractor.

My guess is the same as the first the response given, that the other contractor was likely still a lot cheaper, but that's entirely speculation and will likely never get further comment. I'd refrained from mentioning it while the license was active due to NDA concerns. It seems like you're not bound by one right now, which is great and comparatively rare in this work.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
I watched the first minute of that Quest of Ki sub and found several glaring errors even in the opening narration, with entire sentences just made up out of nowhere with nothing to do with what's being said on screen. This is a terrible quality sub only made worse by the constant "watermark" in the upper left.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Son Ryo posted:

I definitely enjoy the ones where he fails a lot less

I'm the opposite. I like to see Arino struggle, and it tends to make me smile when an old game is just so impossible or pointlessly time-consuming that even Arino finally has to throw up his hands and go "Nope, I'm done." I also enjoy seeing the funny deaths more than seeing the actual successful runs.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Dominic White posted:

On the subject of translation accuracy, I generally prefer it when original names are used. Why? Because it's usually something very clearly heard in the show itself. It's just silly sometimes, like the Legacy of The Wizard episode, where you've got the subtitles insisting that the game is called one thing, but the actual title of the game is being displayed in full English for all to see.

Just a little note (Dragon Slayer 4, known as 'Legacy of The Wizard' in the US) is all it needs, really. Helps keep the audiovisual match-up stronger.

Would you do this in a Mario game with Nokonokos and Patapatas? It's not relevant to non-Japanese audiences. At all. If the audience takes an interest in the original, they can look it up themselves without having to deluge the other viewers with unnecessary info.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
"Arch nemesis... West Germany... Not right now(?)"

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

ConanThe3rd posted:

A Gundam Game, Maybe.

Also possible is Gun.Smoke.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

victrix posted:

On the other, the absurdly ritualized interactions in Japan seem like they give no room to interact on a relaxed level with people. I suppose it's 'normal' for them though.

You'd think this, but I don't think it's really the case. There's a certain level of comfort and reassurance in ritual. The person visiting appreciates the host going to the trouble of receiving them with observed formalities, and the host appreciates the visitor taking the time to stop by and enjoy themselves (as long as they leave their shoes at the door).

In response to Pablo Gigante, my impression from those I've met in Tokyo is that such politenesses are absolutely observed regularly among younger and older adults alike. The culture in places like Tokyo really promotes widespread self-awareness in living among other people in a way that just doesn't exist in America, and it promotes it at all levels of age and society. People go out of their way to be considerate of others, and that absolutely includes manners.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
I admit I felt my share of awkwardness in that experience too, but no one ever seems to mind a simple "domo!".

On the note of Japanese stores, Japanese bookstores are the best bookstores on Earth. They respect privacy so much that they'll give you the option of free paper book covers they'll fold for you over the cover of your book so that other people don't see what you're reading on the train. It's wonderful.

Edit: Oh, and there's one thing Asian stores do that drives me nuts as an American. They'll keep holding onto your credit card until the moment the transaction slip prints out to sign, as opposed to in the US where they'll hand it back as soon as they swipe it. It's this 3-6 second period of suspense that owns me every time.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
To be fair, all I did was post some corrections for ShinYaguchi's material. He did all of the heavy translating work until the current translators stepped up.

On the note of corrections, in Battletoads part 1, I noticed that the team wrote the city name 市川 as "Ishikawa" in the subs when I'm fairly certain it's supposed to be "Ichikawa". No biggie, just putting it out there.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
That's giving them way too much credit. They don't care about the community or supporting the product in the least. They're an extremely self-entitled group that thinks picking niche titles nobody else covers leaves them at full liberty to do halfassed non-translations for subs, and then they say that if you don't like it, you can take it or leave it, because they're the only game in town for that show and they know it.

The fallacy with this is that by doing subs for a given series at all, they are reducing the chance that any other group worth their salt will ever spend time giving that title an actual worthwhile translation, because one already exists, even if it's bad and full of basic amateur mistakes, which TV-N's work most certainly is. Even if by some miracle someone else does come along, the first sub, TV-N's, will still be the default sub shown on websites that cater to that sort of thing. Because this is the way it works, when they poo poo out a translation and don't bother to polish it or even check for errors, they are making GBS threads up the quality of sub that future viewers will see first unless those viewers jump through hoops and forums to find out that a better version exists elsewhere.

Game Center CX is the exception to this, not the norm. The fact that the early episodes have been deferred until just recently due to TV-N's work on them only proves that the above statement is how it typically works in translation communities. Good on Team SA-GCCX for finally starting to give those episodes some real quality.

Hokuto fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Sep 8, 2012

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

The White Dragon posted:

I didn't know folks got so serious about their fansubs. I mean, the TV Nihon ones certainly don't do the show justice, but I'm not gettin' all the poo poo-talking going on.

I work in the J-E translation industry so I take this subject pretty seriously. To cite an example of what I'm talking about, I worked on Funimation's official subs for a certain show during the time of its airing, not too long ago. I had enough material and advance support that I was able to produce solid subs in time for Funimation to release the sub simultaneously with its raw broadcast in Japan. These subs were posted on Youtube and they were completely free and open for anyone to view from the moment the episode got aired. Yet when I did Google searches on the show, I found that lovely after-the-fact fansubs with appalling mistakes and completely wrong terminology were still the predominant result. This kind of thing does hurt the viewers and the community and I really want people to become more aware of this.

Also, to address the excuse that GCCX is out of TV-N's area of expertise because they focus on tokusatsu: That is patently false. Their tokusatsu subs are as full of mistakes as everything else they put out. And when I say their subs are full of mistakes, I'm not talking about messed-up Japanese game terms (though those certainly exist); I'm talking about failure to grasp basic grammar and syntax to piece together the correct meaning of a basic sentence. People just don't know any better because TV-N's been the only source for a long time. I'm glad to hear that other groups are stepping up to start raising the bar in the tokusatsu sub scene because it's badly needed it for years now.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
The real underlying problem with forced foreign terminology, at least in fan works, is that it's done not because of artistic license or editorial choice, but because the translator lacks the native linguistic ability to think of anything better.

See the earlier thread argument of "Nakama" vs. "Crewmate" as it pertained to One Piece. You can easily say "You hurt my crewmate!" and have it convey direct meaning much more intuitively than "You hurt my nakama!" The reason this isn't done isn't because the fansubber saw the alternative and chose not to use it; It's because the fansubber can't actually come up with any English equivalent word other than the direct dictionary translation of "comrade" or "friend" to use, and neither of those by itself would be a perfect fit for the context. The result is that they insist on using a foreign word with the claim that no proper English equivalent exists, when the fact of the matter is that they just don't try to think of any.

In short, "Preservation of flavor" is a crutch for people who write at grade school levels of English and have never heard of a thesaurus. Chances are that the rest of their translation is just as shoddy.

Hokuto fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Sep 11, 2012

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

zari-gani posted:

I really want that FOR TOO MUCH DOING TV GAME one.

You should really offer Kan your services as an English language consultant. :v:

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

zari-gani posted:

What do you find most interesting about the Season 1 episodes? Finding out about the history of the video game industry, or the people themselves?

I like seeing the different office decors they set up for the interviews. Looking around the Satoshi Tajiri interview room was fun.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
Those comparisons are a perfect example of what I'm talking about when I say TV-N's translations are grossly inaccurate. Even in the third comparison, with the sentence text right there written on screen, spelled out plain as day, they still can't get it right. It's downright embarrassing.

Hokuto fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Oct 3, 2012

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
I'm watching the DVD version of the Ninja Gaiden II episode and noticed something. When Ryu gets phantom doubles, the first one looks odd and grey and barely shows up on screen. The second one (when he has two) shows up properly and looks orange like it should. This didn't happen in ShinYaguchi's initial fansub so I assume it's an oddity with the DVD encoding?

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
I noticed something in the Ninja Gaiden 2 DVD sub that I recall being done in the Strider Sub as well. When Arino refers to "Option" attacks, it gets translated as "clone". The term "Option" originates from Gradius and it's a fairly common noun used in games to refer to a remote attack method. Hiryu's panther is called Option, too. I don't think it would be too misleading to use that word in the contexts that Arino uses it in, ie, "I was trying to set up my Option there."

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

jadekitten posted:

What Strider sub? I looked and I don't have that one.

Ahaha, whoops. I must have been thinking of a different ep entirely.

e:

quote:

The only people I can think of who would use it aren't just the typical video game nerds but the really extreme video game nerds.

That's a fair point, too.

Hokuto fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Oct 6, 2012

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
"It got hot this time (sweat). Next time, it's off to someplace cold..."

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Cemetry Gator posted:

I've noticed, from both Macross and Star Trek the Next Generation (the bluray has the Japanese dub, why wouldn't you check it out) that they refer to the captain as "kacho" too.

艦長 (kancho) is the Japanese word for a warship captain. 課長 (kacho) is the Japanese word for a middle manager. :eng101:

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
You can still see them. I saw them just a few weeks ago on there. You just have to navigate the Nintendo e-shop. As far as I know they're not being taken down.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
I just watched the Rainbow Islands episode. That fishing trip :gonk:

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Kerfuffle posted:

No different one. I don't know what's gonk about the one he's talking about though? I recall he caught a fish by snagging its eye but that's about it.

Yes, that's what I'm talking about. Uuuugh I could have easily gone the rest of my life without seeing a close-up of that!

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

vgperson posted:

Not necessarily "unique," just "[his] speciality." Because Arino's good at them, of course.

Vgperson's interpretation is the more applicable one for とくい in this specific case. "Next up is [Arino's] specialty, a puzzle game."

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

zari-gani posted:

I just discovered that my online Japanese-English dictionary of choice translates Dragon Quest spells to their localized English versions. :stare:

Haha, I think my dictionary includes yours in its aggregate results. I just tried it on mine and you're right.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

zari-gani posted:

I really would love to translate The Chief is a Great Detective, but Ray mentioned there was some sort of limitation that made it hard to hack?

If you ever do, could I suggest the term Supersleuth in lieu of Great Detective? It just rolls off the tongue easier. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

zari-gani posted:

Then we start subbing Game Record GP! (Basically a single-stage speedrun tournament, so it's the anti-GCCX).

You might also enjoy Famitsu Wave's Yarikomi Gamers and Yarikomi Baka-Ichidai series, but the archive site that had each DVD episode for that got all of its video streams shut down like a year ago and hasn't reposted them since.

And apparently the Japanese PS2 I bought from NCSX isn't actually as Japanese as I thought because it won't run the DVDs for me to capture from. :argh: