Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
New thread gonna be better than the old thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
I've got a question(or two) for those in charge. I was sorting and filing my GCCX collection when I noticed that, outside of the most recent ones, season 8 is woefully represented with only 53 Stations being done. Are there any season 8 episodes on the block? Are they just boring episodes? Is it, as I assume, most coincidental that season 8 isn't more complete?

Just curious, by the way, no outstanding requests or demands.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

If that's your YT account then I just happened upon it about 30 minutes ago after deciding to search for anyone attempting to LP 53 Stations(nobody seems to be that crazy except Arino). Didn't see this video but did see the other 53 Stations video.

Weird timing.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Gutcruncher posted:

53 Stations was HORRIBLE for this. First the tune was stuck in my head, and then the singing started.

My brain wouldnt shut up even a week later.

Sitting here watching a TAS of Quest of Ki and I can see Ki being really bad for this as well.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

redmercer posted:

Got a link? I don't see one on tasvideos.org.

I don't know how people define a TAS but it's written up like one and plays like one so I just say it's a TAS.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzMZ_O4JnZk

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Be interesting to see how far he can get once the ADs inform him of all the warps.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

jyrque posted:

Oh man, that background music... :downsgun:

Would drive me insane, especially considering all the time Arino spends on this game. I watched that TAS I posted and it was only 20 minutes long and I'd already heard enough of the music.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Random Stranger posted:

The Quest of Ki is over and done.

Filthy liar. :colbert:

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

:confused: unless you were being sarcastic

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Silentman0 posted:

Like the one in the OP?

The one thing I'd change is to at least break that list up into the actual seasons so it's a little easier to organize and whatnot. Just a little line of "Season 5" or something.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Just started Quest of Ki. Took me about 20 minutes to get to 62. It's definitely not forgiving in many aspects but I've quickly adjusted to the touch of the jumps and even did extremely well timing hitting the ceiling to duck fireballs.

I suspect Arino's lack of dexterity is what did him in on this game. It doesn't seem impossible at all(I guess I'll see later) but you definitely need to have a soft touch to work the controls without driving yourself insane like he did.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

So yea, when the wind starts kicking in at 66 it gets a little crazy. The physics immediately change when your feet hit the ground so the pedestal jumping in 65 basically makes you stop touching the D-Pad when you hit the pedestal and only use it in the air. Took 3 continues to clear that stage.

:e good lord gently caress 71. Hitbox seems to warp at will. Still only taken about an hour to get to 76, though.

Crotch Bat fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Dec 19, 2011

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I got to 59 in about 15-20 minutes but got stuck there for another 10 or so minutes and that's as much of that game I can take. I can see why Arino had problems with it. Someone with little game experience who just isn't very good at games in general would take forever to get through each level once the warps stop. The controls are really awkward and just bad. Yeah it makes the game far more difficult, but it's because you never feel like you're in control. It feels like a bad, contrived difficulty.

It took me a solid 20 minutes on 79(the one Arino couldn't beat and needed the extension for). The missile/Blinky dodging was just repetition but those descending stairs with the 2-3 pixel ledges and the wind going is just unfair. The first time I landed the bottom one I made the jump to the door and did a little "YATTA".

The game plays so quickly that doing a level for 20 minutes feels like an eternity so Arino's problems with 79 and 98 must have been utter hell for him.

Up to 84 now in 2.5 hours. Starting to become a grind.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

"Extremely mobile" is not how I'd put it. You can jump forever, but that's it. You move slowly, it takes a long time to build momentum and once you have it it's hard as hell to reverse. It's like you're controlling a fat cow on rollerskates on an ice rink.

Please tell me you're using B+opposite direction to brake. It's pretty easy to come to a stop using that combo.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Quest of Ki down in a little under 6 hours. The 80s and 90s are really weird in that you'll breeze through a couple levels and then get stonewalled out of nowhere for 20-30 minutes. Then clear another 3 levels in under 10 minutes and hit another wall. Not impossible but can get immensely frustrating and it's easy to see why Arino acted like he did during parts of that video. Definitely recommend to anyone looking for an old-school challenge.

Also it's apparent my console gaming "muscles" vanished with my childhood and the advent of PC gaming because my thumb was killing me last night and it still hurts a little. Arino's thumbs must be in sad shape after some of these games.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

I just rewatched and that is weird. He clearly accomplished his goal so I don't know what to say.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Random Stranger posted:

Holy. loving. poo poo.

I thought that they were gone forever but guess who just released episode 11 after more than two years?

Guess I need to update the OP.

I saw one reply in this thread but it was by you so I had a good feeling. Wasn't exactly what I thought but hey, no complaints on my end.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Oh man, totally forgot this was the beginning of season 3. That means the first appearance of Urakawa. :neckbeard:

e: the back and forth with Abe is fantastic.

Crotch Bat fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Jan 12, 2012

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Mister Chief posted:

What does zarigani mean if anything? The J.J. & Jeff episodes features a comedy duo called America Zarigani and then there is our master translator too.

I don't know if our own has a different use(plus my Japanese is so, so poor) but I do know that the comedy duo uses the word, which means crayfish.

I'm not aware of any double meanings but that definitely doesn't mean there isn't one as the Japanese love their word games. I don't know if the group's translated name is really America(n?) Crayfish or what. Although they really seem to choose crazy names for these kombi so who knows.

Crotch Bat fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Jan 12, 2012

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

:siren::siren::siren::siren::siren:

http://kotaku.com/5875856/this-could-be-your-last-chance-to-see-retro-game-master

quote:

It was a grand experiment, broadcasting weekly episodes of an entire season of a Japanese television show centered around the triumph and (more often than not) tragedy of one man's quest to conquer classic video games. Dubbed and subbed for the Japanese-impaired, the show gathered a small-but-loyal following among our readers. Since the show aired last summer not an event has gone by when I haven't been asked "When is Retro Game Master coming back?"

To answer that question, it's not returning, unfortunately, and now our rights to that initial twelve episodes will be up soon, so we've gathered the entire first season of Retro Game Master together for one last hurrah.

So this went better than expected. It sucks for GCCX that they have such a tough time getting the show picked up outside of Japan but for the fansub community this is huge news.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

That is unbelievably cruel. Quest of Ki was very similar. What is it with Japan randomly trying to gently caress you over at the last second?

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

I think once the numbers dipped by episode 3 they just wrote it off outside of posting the next episode.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

zari-gani posted:

My best guess is this: Japanese variety shows often have many people on stage at a time (like a dozen) and are unscripted for the most part. Talking in a fast-paced manner and/or in a Kansai dialect is a common Japanese comedy style. So you have a lot of comedians fast-talking over each other. It's easy to miss the funnier lines, so maybe that's why they began subtitling them -- to bring attention to the more notable lines and jokes. Then they realized hey, it actually makes things funnier at times, especially when the text comes with emphasis. Eventually it ended up becoming an entertainment industry standard, so even slower-paced comedy shows like GCCX gets the sub treatment now.

This is exactly what I came to post. They either do it for dialect reasons or because there were 8 guys talking at once and one of them said something particularly hilarious. They'll put subs up for a variety of things but I usually find they fit within the context of the shows. On the Gaki no Tsukai batsu games they will often sub the snickering laughter that is sometimes nearly inaudible in order to let people know which guy laughed and that he's not getting butt slapped for a random reason.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Or yea, go to his YT channel and just claim copyright. You can pretty much claim copyright for whatever and they'll yank it.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Goldwarf posted:

It's like the worst parts of every ROM hack ever made all rolled into one.

It's always amazing to see posts as wrong as this one.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

I just happened on the Abobo one a couple days ago and had fun.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

I wish Nipponophile would stop by and at least say something about that tsundere thing with Downtown but it seems like that thing is never getting subbed :( Any way you can keep that on the list, zari, for maybe some rainy day occasion?

Can someone at least point me to a raw of it?

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Nipponophile posted:

Long story short: Lots of work has been done already. More work needs to be done.

I have all kinds of excuses as to why it's taken this long, but most of them are terrible, so I'll spare you those. It should be out soon, for a given value of soon.

Just so you know that work actually has been done:

As long as it's coming, I can wait. :)

Liku posted:

I'd support this, what's the total size of all of the subbed episodes?

My GCCX folder is sitting at 30GB counting special episodes like trips and whatnot but not counting a handful of 1st season eps(although those aren't very big because of lower quality) and I'm probably missing some small extras. I'd guess a ceiling of 33-35GB as it stands right now.

Crotch Bat fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Jan 25, 2012

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

The height difference doesn't seem like much but it's got to be a bit of a shock. Arino just fits in with the crowd over here.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Davzz posted:

They're subtitling an episode from Arino's other comedian show, basically.

This specific one was requested by a couple of us here because Arino is cosplaying as Amuro, the main character from the original Gundam, and I guess most of us are giant nerds for that kind of stuff.

I'm a gigantic Downtown nerd and just the thought of them cosplaying with Arino makes me laugh. Hamada in particular is practically guaranteed to make you laugh in whatever he wears because of his gorilla face.

Pretty much if you put Downtown or Arino in something there's about a 99% chance I'll watch it so having them together is just :neckbeard: for me.

Crotch Bat fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Jan 25, 2012

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

They're awkward because they're not on-air personalities and I'd guess in part to the senior/junior stuff as well. As zari said, the onsen stuff is perfectly natural and you will often see a bare rear end or accidentally even full frontal(covered of course by a little picture of the TV personality's face) when they show onsens on TV with the right group of people.

Can you imagine a hot spring any other way? We treat saunas and such the same, we just have bigger towels. You're not supposed to go into that wearing swim trunks or some other nonsense.

Really, if you watch enough Japanese comedy you'll just come to understand that they're much more at ease with nudity and you'll just see more of it.

Crotch Bat fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Jan 28, 2012

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Kirall posted:

That whole "aaaagh nudity" thing seems to be an American thing. I'm Finnish, and in here nudity isn't at all considered taboo. We go to the sauna naked, even with strangers of the opposite sex sometimes. Y'all are weird.

It's the Puritan history. It's really dumb and backwards but what can you do. Every place has its pros and cons.

e: also I'm thoroughly amused by a Finnish person saying "y'all".

Crotch Bat fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Jan 28, 2012

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Primoman posted:

While I do realize it's pretty much pointless considering how old the games are, I was wondering if any HD episodes of this series exists, and if there are any plans to fansub them.

The availability seems to be sparse but the Cannes Trip and Legacy of the Wizard eps are both in HD and I believe it's been said there's a few more out there being subbed(though this may be wrong).

It's basically dependent on whoever is capping the thing to do decide to want to do HD.

e: I'm heading out to dinner so I'll leave the torrent going and see what happens. Crawling right now.

Crotch Bat fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jan 28, 2012

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Hit or miss Clitoris posted:

Gonna go ahead and direct download this then seed the torrent. You people are amazing! Half of a series finished in less than a year, fuckin tireless. I've been wanting to see the Bomberman Episode for a while, I was totally not expecting it to show up so soon! (I figured Takeshi's Castle was next but this is way better!)

Definitely the way to go. I finish the DDL in about an hour but the torrent is only 10% done. On the plus side I've already uploaded about 500MB so I can really help get that thing going once I get a full copy to seed.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

ponzicar posted:

The torrents seem like the best solution. Maybe sending the finished episode out to a small group of volunteers before releasing the torrent publicly would ease that initial bottleneck.

This is the best plan, really. I don't have a box but I do have some nice upload speed so I'd happily join in on this to do my part in this project. Perhaps giving the group the DDL link a day before you plan to release the episode so that we have it and can instantly jump on the torrent when you post it and start seeding.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Also, have you considered using http://www.mirrorcreator.com/ for now since multiupload is down? It uploads to DepositFiles as well.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

This was a very good episode, especially since it contained no Tamage. If it had a good one in it this would probably be one of my top episodes.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Nipponophile posted:

I don't know how established it is

Very. Those colors have stuck with them for a long, long time and some of the earliest stuff I've seen(when Matsumoto had hair!) had those colors for on-screen subs. Even outside of the on-screen subs, any time Downtown(or in extension Cocorico and Yamasaki in any Gaki project) do something, those colors will almost certainly be used. In the Absolutely Tasty series they wear aprons and the colors are indeed red and blue.

It's great that you're sticking to them. It's not only a nice touch but any time people start talking over each other or the camera isn't on the face it can sometimes be hard to discern who said something when the subs are just in white. Usually not a big issue and I'd love you either way for translating this piece but again, it's just a step up in quality subbing work so kudos.

Crotch Bat fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Jan 30, 2012

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Tyma posted:

Is the first boss of Kid Dracula the most unintentionaly offensive thing to ever appear in a Famicom game?

Please tell me it somehow got included in the US version.

I didn't notice this at all until you mentioned it. It does make the fact that it's called a wizard that much funnier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Crono S. Magnum posted:

Just finished watching the Kid Dracula episode.

Did Arino nearly break his thumbs in that one? It looked like he had played his thumb completely raw towards the end.

That and the glitch were the best freaking things.

That really is one of the worst feelings. You essentially drive your thumbs to a weird place where they're somewhat numb but any touching becomes a very painful pins and needles feeling.

I never got that as a kid and I gamed a lot but recently when I did my Quest of Ki runthrough, I got that feeling in the first 4 or so hours, enough to make me put down the game and finish it the next day.

I don't envy his thumbs and they probably take a solid 48 hours to heal up properly after a serious day of gaming.