Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

joek0 posted:

I didn't really post any big spoilers. Arino messes up alot at the continue screens during the series.

For this show it kinda is so just edit that up for everyone else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

Primoman posted:

While trying out Super Mario Crossover 2.0, I started wondering if Arino would be able to play this on the show, or if copyright issues would put a halt to that idea.

Then again, I also question whether or not watching him play a mod would be as entertaining as the real thing. Maybe as a spoof episode they could have him go through a list of the most popular Kaizo Mario mods and see how fast he cracks.

Ahhhh, didn't realize this just came out. Welp, there goes the night.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Primoman posted:

Unrelated: Is there a way to make these flash games go fullscreen?

Related: Are there any videos that collect Arino's disgruntled sighs and moans?

I bet that would make a great compilation.

Don't quote me but I think if you can actually find the .swf file for a Flash game and run it outside of your browser you can fullscreen it. I seem to recall playing a Flash game in such a way.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

That was a great episode. I'm not a puzzle game fan at all and have zero interest in ever playing Lemmings but it's an awesome team episode for this show and let's everyone, from staff to fans, be a part of the success.

It's also way less sadistic than Quest of Ki since you're not sitting on your hands, unable to help.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Oh wow, the behind the scenes with Abe and Nakayama is the best. I could watch an entire show where he does nothing but go to staff's homes and cook for them and drink beer.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Nakayama is so insanely shy it always makes for good TV, especially since Abe is very outgoing and personable.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

They can't be held that much longer. They went out of their way to explain that the dubs weren't long for the Kotak world so it's not going to be anything crazy like years, probably a few more months at most.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

uPen posted:

Are you sure it wasn't 290 yen?

290 yen is like 4 bucks so no.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Mine is always going to be Urakawa. Arino played a bunch of brutal games in season 3 and 4 and I'm not sure any other AD would have been as helpful. His Adventure Island win is probably the most amazing feat in the entire series.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Nakayama's been my #2 for awhile now, he's pretty awesome. I like Inoue but I'm just not as gaga over him as others.

Emoto is coming on strong for me, the more I see him, the more I like so it'll be interesting to see how he develops as I watch more of his seasons.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

zari-gani posted:

Besides, we don't translate yen to dollars (except in that 24H compilation), km to miles, centimeters to inches in our translations... Is that bad? Serious question.

I don't consider it that bad but I learned some rough estimates for these things so I just do a quick running calculation and I'm fine with it. For people that haven't learned it might be annoying but they can deal with it, I suppose.

Cemetry Gator posted:

In terms of money - I think a nice thing to do would just put in parenthesis how much it would cost in American dollars.

The yen is worth more now(~1.3 cents) but I find a 1:1 scale(1 yen = 1 penny) to come somewhat close to representing actual value for the purposes of watching a show. So 100 yen = 1 dollar, 1000 yen = 10 dollars, 10000 yen = 100 dollars and so on.

So whatever "huge" number they say, chop off the last 2 zeroes and there's your (rough)dollar amount. I suppose if you want to be more accurate you can then add 30% to that and get a close representation.

Crotch Bat fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Feb 14, 2012

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

To be honest, I'd rather just get individual episode torrents. I want to get the newest episode, seed it, and then be done with it. Nothing would be more annoying than seeing just 1 file and having to constantly go in every time I re-download it and say "don't download" to 99% of the torrent(and yes I'm aware this is just a minor inconvenience but it's the principle of it to me). I think what we have right now works and putting stuff into seasons when it's completed would mainly be for the convenience of new fans.

And my naming scheme is different than what is used here so once I finish seeding, the file gets renamed and put on my external so I'm not going to be seeding some huge 80-100+GB file forever. If you're the type with the space and bandwidth to seed a file like that then it really shouldn't be a big deal to seed individual episodes(or seasons) since we just started and there's only like what, 5 torrents?

Crotch Bat fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Feb 15, 2012

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

The sound is amazing. I clicked on the video and tabbed away for something else and I thought I hit the wrong thing for a second because the audio sounded so good.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Cemetry Gator posted:

Holy poo poo! I just realized who Beat Takeshi is! He's the guy from Sontatine - aka, the only reason you would have to buy the Zatoichi movie on DVD. It was a bonus disc, and it was a really good but really stark and dark movie.

This is worded really weird.

Crotch Bat fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Feb 19, 2012

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

zari-gani posted:

And he directed and starred in said Zatoichi movie, which he's most well known for here.

That's what threw me off about his post.

zari-gani posted:

My first exposure to Beat Takeshi was the Battle Royale movie. I thought he was such a bizarre character, then later learned it was pretty much Beat Takeshi playing Beat Takeshi. I mean, the character's name is even Kitano (his real name).

Mine as well.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

miscellaneous14 posted:

Has there been a list of how many episodes have been completely subtitled versus how many there are total? I haven't been able to keep up with the new releases lately.

First post.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

genredleader posted:

About the Live special.... Random Stranger said it was 9 AM GMT which is 4 AM EST... But is that on Thursday morning or Friday morning? I don't know which...! :cry:

I already know what I'm sending him! :xd: I just... Have to sit down and draw it... And then figure out how to fax it. :xd: Oh, this is going to be SO great! Arino will be SO surprised! :xd:

EST is 5 hours behind GMT so if it's 9AM GMT on Thursday that means it's 4AM EST that same Thursday.

Japan is 9 hours ahead of GMT so that means it'll be starting at 6PM JST.

VVVVV - or that but it really isn't that hard.

Crotch Bat fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Feb 21, 2012

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Inferior Third Season posted:

Second, to American eyes, Arino's mint green suit is hideous, but he walks around town in it. Would people think this fashion is normal, or would seeing someone out and about like that be more like spotting the question mark guy?

Third, is Arino a bona fide celebrity (even a B-list celebrity) in Japan that would be recognized by a non-trivial portion of the population?

As a total guess I'd say he's at worst somewhat recognizable as a celeb. He's hosted a TV show for almost a decade and he has his appearances on variety shows and his work in Yoiko so he gets his face out there. Again, just a guess though.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Hah, just saw the part where he got your art. Good for you :3:

Are they aware of your presence in the subbing community(which is to say being a gigantic reason that he has an English-speaking following) or are you known strictly as an artist to them?

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

I can't imagine the staff isn't aware there's some sort of a subbing effort for the series. You can Youtube for "Game Center CX" and the entire first page is nothing but SAGCCX episodes re-upped by that site and they all have tens of thousands of views.

My 2 cents is:

FujiTV - cares a lot about this stuff, would frown upon mentioning on camera of people illegally watching/streaming the show
GCCX staff - is just thankful for the fans, doesn't really care how we're watching since we don't have a legal way to obtain the show

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

GidgetNomates posted:

I'm using this (linked at some point in the topic) as the wallpaper on my desktop, would you mind doing one with that same teal as the background so my laptop and desktop can match?

1280x800 by the way

I kinda want to make a hoodie or shirt out of this. Have to keep it in mind for the fall.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

That was a fun episode. No continues made it very harsh, I think he should have been given 1 from the start and he'd almost certainly have met the other goal they initially set.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Yea, if you got rid of the "Happy Birthday Arino-Kacho!" I'd legit buy it as a poster.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

You guys really let the Watanabe stuff dig way deeper than you should. It's low hanging fruit, that's all. He's not tormenting the poor girl.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

But it's not remotely mean-spirited, that's what you guys aren't getting. He's not trying to give her an eating disorder, he's a comedian trying to make the quickest, most reliable joke he can given the circumstances, most of which involve a fat person with food always nearby.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

I guess I'm a horrible person because I just died laughing at him calling her Black Kirby.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

I'd be shocked if you couldn't find the screw at any hardware store. Those look like socket screws(which use an Allen wrench) but really as long as you matched the body, you could find a few different heads that might work. Go to a hardware store and they should have a hand-sized chart hanging by the loose screw/bolt aisle and using that chart you'll be able to size the screw and find what you need.

I used to work at a hardware store in college, I could probably count on one hand the number of times I wasn't able to find the screw someone needed or a suitable replacement.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

I was initially a little worried about the fansub effort but then I realized if this does become a success by the time they would want to continue the series and do more, we would likely have everything but the most recent episodes subbed and out there for people to enjoy. Not sure how on or off-track things are but I seem to remember the team(or RS, I think) setting a goal to translate the rest of the series in this calendar year(or I'd imagine at least hit 80-90% completion).

I will absolutely buy the DVDs but to be honest, the Tamage and all the extras are as fun for me as seeing him play the games, so I just want the best for both the fansub and the American support for the show.

Of course all of this is out of my hands and if it all had to end today I'd still be very grateful for the hundreds of hours spent by the team in releasing so much of the show already.

Crotch Bat fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Feb 29, 2012

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Forget about that, did you see the quiz game in that episode where one wrong answer was a game over? Who in the hell came up with that idea?

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Corridor posted:

Is it just me or did they not show the ending for that game? :psyduck:

Pangalin posted:

I think that's typical when they set a game aside as an option for the 24hr challenges.

Yea, it's totally this. I thought the same at first and then reasoned that showing the ending being done by an AD with it being a potential challenge episode would be a bad idea. It's obvious Emoto and Ito both knew the game well so there's no doubt they could have shown it in another situation.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

jyrque posted:

Any chance for a 1920 x 1080 version?

or x1200 for us 16:10 viewers?

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Oooh, 2-parters are always fun. Unless it's the original.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

You guys are nothing if dependable. Ridiculous sub effort.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

I may be wrong but it doesn't sound like "Bomb-er Man", it sounds like "Bom-ba Man", which is what I'd expect them to say as they always end up adding a vowel sound to things like that in English. Go listen to how they pronounce Cut Man for a similar example.

Son Ryo posted:

The usual practice if they want to end a word with a consonant is to end it with a -u sound. So it should be Bombu-man.

Or yea, that. Didn't know that was such a hard rule. My ears are getting better with Japanese but it's a slow, slow process. So much more demanding than English.

Crotch Bat fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Mar 8, 2012

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Nipponophile posted:

I was watching that thinking, "That can't be him, he's not hitting anyone on the... Oh, wait. I guess that is him..."

You can even tell just by how he hits. I don't need to see a face, just the arm motion and speed.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Davzz posted:

Haven't never played the original MM1 and only the PSP remake, what the heck did half of the pick-ups actually do? At first I thought they were points but the points didn't actually increase and I don't see MM's health increasing or anything.

The game actually looks kind of beta-ish, in a way.

The circles were point balls but they get added up at the end of a level, not as you collect them.

The rest were like any other MM, blue for weapon and yellow for health.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Happy trails, rdbbb.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Snot Man posted:

I keep hoping to see that one, if only just for its "historical" value, but I guess the episode itself must not be terribly good, since the shorter a challenge gets, the less footage they have to pull entertainment value from.

Actually I think it might be fun to watch just from the perspective that it's the closest non-live event you're going to see in its entirety. Usually they're pulling out 45-50 minutes(remember time taken up by Tamage and other segments) from 10-15 hours of gameplay. In that challenge we may get to see him play a lot of the game.

It may be boring regardless but I'm going to be an optimist when we get around to seeing that one.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Zelda II would kick his rear end thoroughly. I'd love to see that episode, since it'd almost certainly be a 2-parter(if he got the option). I mean, if he can beat Battletoads at this point then I'm sure he and the ADs can power through but it's still a difficult game, especially relative to the series as a whole, which usually holds your hand most of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Vlaphor posted:

If I may hope against hope...a special DVD exclusive challenge for the American release?

My fingers are crossed for this but I'm not holding my breath. It would be really neat to see, though.