Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Heti posted:

Good point, I think that's true. Shy guys are awesome though so don't try to devalue them :colbert:

According to this they aren't in a single "Super Mario Brothers" game http://www.mariowiki.com/Shy_Guy

They're definitely in New Super Mario Bros, they're also in Super Mario 64 for sure. They fly around with propellers on their head and jumping on them shoots you up and spins you around. According to Giant Bomb they were in Super Mario Galaxy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Looking at the wiki now, the Shyguy-esque creature from SM64 is this thing which is so close to being a Shyguy it might as well be one. I can't be arsed reading up on the other games but I guess it's a similar deal there, too.

Also this, in SM64: http://www.mariowiki.com/Fly_Guy#Super_Mario_64_.2F_Super_Mario_64_DS

There's different variations that they don't list together for some reason.

Anyways, this has been a definitively useless derail.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Ciaphas posted:

Hey hey heeeyyyyy.

I liked the first TMNT game. :smith:

It's a good game that's just ridiculously hard.

Arino really should challenge it some day.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

I don't think it's that bad myself. I mean not good but there's so much worse.

But in the past few years it's gained a reputation of being the most horrific game to come out in the NES era. A game so awful that no one could stand to gaze upon it for long.

I don't think this is true at all. The only reputation I know of is that of an incredibly hard game. I haven't seen too many people saying it was actually bad.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Man, Paris-Dakar Rally is so amazing. It's the epitome of the NES school of design theory where you put gameplay over setting or story, and things end up nonsensical and madcap as a result. The NES wasn't good enough to go with a realistic theme and stick with it.

Naturally, they end up botching the actual gameplay parts and the game ended up horrible and not fun to play at all, but still. The way they just throw everything about the subject matter out the window and just do whatever the hell they want because they think it would be fun is almost inspiring.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Yeah, I'm pretty sure those actually ARE ants. The "legs" are antennae and you can clearly see six actual legs on the sides.

Taratang posted:

The tracker's front page is sorted by date uploaded if that helps: http://alluvion.org/index.php

I like how Alluvion is at least 80% GCCX now.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Aug 17, 2012

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

What could possibly make for a crazier episode than Paris-Dakar Rally Special? Downloading this poo poo immediately.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

It honestly doesn't seem that difficult. The levels repeat often and once you get used to the controls, it's probably not that bad. Even the AD who never played it before cleared his level on his second try.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

He's played easier games than Sonic 1 and those are always the most frustrating episodes.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

miscellaneous14 posted:

It's goofy and unnatural-sounding to the point where it actually bothers me whenever it happens. There's almost no reason for it either, unless you really need full Japanese immersion or something.

I'm just not sure I understand the use of "creepy" in this context. Unnatural, sure, but creepy?

Anyways, Atlus thought that in the west, P3 and P4 would only appeal to japanophiles so they kind of catered the localization to them.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

What if current crew members are dressed in costume?

Is he supposed to be Max Payne?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

MUTEkI posted:

I gotta admit I'm kinda glad Microsoft dropped it on the face buttons on the 360, because those face buttons never have any real travel distance, making it hard to press them lightly.

I don't think it's based on travel distance, at least it wasn't on the PS2. It was pure pressure sensitivity. You pressed the button down fully no matter what, you just pressed harder to go faster or whatever.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Tobaccrow posted:

Because it's not in the spirit of the show

This is the real reason. Using unintended save exploits kind of ruins the entire point of the show, don't you think?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I owned Dragon Power as a kid and it was one of those games where I couldn't really tell how much it sucked because I could barely ever get anywhere in it. That along with Deadly Towers. The later was nigh incomprehensible. I just couldn't understand it enough to hate it.

Mister Chief posted:

I think Dragon Ball is the best of the three series. I just prefer the adventure aspects and the quirky characters to the constant powering up and planet destroying fights in Z.

Dragon Ball is legit a really good show. I rewatched it a year or so ago and it still holds up. As a teen, I watched a lot of DBZ during Toonami's height, and I hated original Dragon Ball because there weren't any awesome power beams or screaming musclemen. God, I was loving stupid. All poo poo that makes DBZ really terrible (powering up, long range beam battles, screaming musclemen, etc) are all completely absent in DB. In its place are charming characters, fun adventures, and fun fights that focus on close combat and never last longer than a single episode.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Oct 23, 2012

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Oh man, a new episode already? Thanks GCCX team, you never fail to impress!

GidgetNomates posted:

To be fair I think DB becomes more like DBZ towards the end because it ends up having a ton of really drawn out battles. Still, DB is definitely a genuinely good show.

Well, it certainly got more dense, and less about adventure and more about saving the world. But there were still only a tiny handful of fights that lasted longer than an episode, and those were no more than two episodes long. Things never got anywhere near as bad as even the very beginning of DBZ.

... Oh, right, this is the GCCX thread. Sorry guys.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Crotch Bat posted:

Buy both, link first to Amazon, second to thread.

I'm going with this.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I've had no ads for so long, I had no idea that was a thing.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

Glad to see you here!

For everyone awaiting PaRappa...

Soon

Uh oh.

Is this one of those things that we're all gonna freak out over because the songs are different in the Japanese version?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

"And episode 10 of this very special challenge..."

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Slowbeef's VLP was done in less than 8 hours. There was no editing that I can remember. He was both very comprehensive and also knew all the puzzle solutions, so it's hard to say how that equates to a blind playthrough, but it's probably a viable game as a two part challenge. I'm not a fan of the adventure game episodes, though.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

How is Discotek's RGM performing anyways? Any word on if they'll release another DVD set?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Quiz episodes are the best episodes.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Thank you very much Xik. I've been out of the loop for most of the year so it's great being able to catch up or to revisit old episodes I really enjoyed. You're a hero in this dark post-alluvion world.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

PureRok posted:

Will there be an RSS feed so I can be sure I never miss a release? Not that I probably will since I have this thread bookmarked, but you know.

An RSS feed would be nice. Unfortunately the formatting on torrent titles/episode file names isn't very good so you aren't able to create an RSS that will automatically detect and download new releases via nyaa, which is something I like to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Mister Chief posted:

If there's enough of a demand I should be able to add an RSS feed. I just don't know how much use that would be for members here, seems more like something non-members would want.

I don't actually visit this thread all that often. I'd probably check it more regularly if there was an RSS feed telling me about every new release. Not to be too demanding, but a new releases feed that can be plugged into a torrent client would be ideal. I don't actually know what needs to be done on your end to make that work, though.