Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away

Gutcruncher posted:

Arino challenges Cryostasis.

"Uwaaa! Lightbulb! Need a lightbulb! Ah! Abunai!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

Every time they talk about Retro Game Challenge I have an overwhelming desire to play Star Prince.

Also, why is Goku so goddamn happy all the time?

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

Random Stranger posted:

I do find it kind of amusing that two of the worst Famicom games are based on Journey to the West. There's so many bad games that have come out of that novel and it's a tradition that continues to this day...

If you're talking about Enslaved, I'll have you know that that's a perfectly ok game. :colbert:

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

Arino acted pretty much how I would react if Satoru freakin' Iwata just walked into the room.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

The White Dragon posted:

Too bad the only thing they ever sold was that atrocious poo poo that ran on Cartoon Network.

You shut your whore mouth!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f311XTtqPgc

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

Random Stranger posted:

Zari-gani has something extra special for you to watch as you wait in line for your WiiU tonight. How about a little comedy from Japan? At about 7am in the 24 hour challenge there was a small stage show where comedians did some video gamed themed comedy to perk up the Arino and the audience. If you want to know where it fits into the compilation, it comes just after Inoko MAX's wrestling.

Download torrent81 (1 file; 152.49 MB)
View torrent stats

(Direct Download)

...The gently caress did I just watch? Manzai's so weird to me, the only real "comedy duo" that I can think of that's popular in the west are the Sklar brothers.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

Nipponophile posted:

*sigh* People these days, no respect for the classics...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfmvkO5x6Ng

...I meant modern duos. Really, I swear :smith:

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

Erwin Tuwonwon posted:

There aren't a ton of modern double acts, that's true. You have your occasional Hard 'n Phirm or Flight of the Conchords, but most comedy duos these days are just in movies, Nick Frost & Simon Pegg and Will Ferrell & John C Reilley. Though, if we include them we need Wilder & Pryor and Belushi & Aykroyd and... Eh, fine, you're right.

I remember thinking a while ago that Japan seems to be stuck 80 years in the past in terms of comedy development. I think this is my first time seeing a big burst of manzai all at once, before most of what I've seen is Game Center, batsu games, and Beat Takeshi.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

joek0 posted:

OMG! Abe has such a cute daughter!

Sorry, folks, but the dreamiest cameraman is taken!

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

Silly Voodoo posted:

From the Let's Watch Pro Street Fighter thread:

:allears:

OH! COLLUSION!

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

Hirayuki posted:

I finally got around to seeing the episode, so I can answer this one now, too: It was a teaser for the "That Guy in My Head" segment where Arino and some ADs (?) draw game characters from memory. I think it's only on their mobile site.

drat, that sounds like fun.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

If you have a PSP I recommend Zettai Hero Project. It's super fun and really underrated.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAKcECSXy98

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

Oh poo poo, they're playing the Simpsons arcade game, aka the only good Simpsons game.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

zari-gani posted:

Jazaaboo: "Hello from America! http://thespeedgamers.com/oild-rally-kings-snow-mountain"
Arino: "Oh! America! Careful not to put your controller in your hamburger and eat it!"

I would be insulted if I didn't love hamburgers so much.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

zari-gani posted:

Next episode's hint: a green protagonist.

This time I'm pretty danged sure it's the leaked challenge! If so, I think you guys will be happy.

Was Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles popular in Japan?

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I didn't have a Super Nintendo growing up, so I guess I missed out DKC's awesome music.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

Der Shovel posted:

Holy poo poo, I couldn't believe Arino's blind fall through that ninja cavern.

The way he flew right through that one ninja caught me by surprise. I guess they can't one-hit kill you during their invincibility frames? Either that or the game liked Arino way more than any other game in the show's history.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

Obeast posted:

I hope this isn't some kind of sign about the chances of more English DVDs coming out. I know the first set did pretty well, but still... :ohdear:

It's pretty obviously a joke at the expense of American DVD cases.

FRANKLY IT'S ABOUT TIME SOMEBODY TOOK AMERICAN DVD CASES DOWN A PEG

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

MUTEkI posted:

Depends on how literally you mean "before" by because Sonic & Knuckles is basically the exact same thing (though, obviously, in 1994 was a much later development).

Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles were both full-sized carts, what he's describing is a minicart that can only be played on the main game, I think.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

My Retro Game Master DVD just came in the mail!

"Inside Artwork and Subtitle Editing NINA MATSUMOTO" :neckbeard:

What was that DVD ripping software again?

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

Mister Chief posted:

Those aren't arcade cabinets, they are MVS cabinets. The games came on big rear end cartridges and most machines had multiple slots in them so a player could choose from a number of different games. Because of the low cost of these machines and the ease of changing games they were very popular worldwide and the most popular non-fighting game series on the MVS was the Metal Slug series. There's no real mystery.

The shithole midwest town I grew up in had nothing even approaching an arcade, and the closest thing was a Pizza Hut that had a MVS machine. It had Metal Slug X and Aerofighters.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

Watching someone else play Tetris is hard. Watching someone else play Puyo Puyo is loving brutal.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

FinalGamer posted:

That was me! Oh my god I dunno what he meant until now that's...silly, that's cool though! I didn't know he talked to Edgar Wright, even if he's not Scottish.
God I really hope Google Translate was good enough but since you translated it exactly how I wrote it zari-gani, I'm gonna say it was!

He interviews the cast as part of the special features in the Japanese release of the DVD.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

bpc908 posted:

Speaking of art,
you know what piece of art I would like to own, this poster without the Happy Birthday Arino on it. It has every single AD in it and would be cool to have on a walla

WELL HEY, GUESS WHAT COMES WITH THE TOTALLY AWESOME DVD SET THAT'S TOTALLY WORTH YOUR MONEY?

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

Hit or miss Clitoris posted:

loving let it go dude. You can't hear tone on the internet and nobody wants to read you two fighting about he-said-she-said bullshit.

SAGCCX has a higher quality of release than almost any other fan translation group, we are all super grateful for the work they do, and everyone makes little mistakes. We've acknowledged that, let's move on.

When you make things people like, it's ok to not strive for the highest quality possible! Let me tell you how much I love mediocrity.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

Cemetry Gator posted:

Dude, seriously.

These guys are doing it for free. They said "I love the show and I want to make this available for other people." Sure, they find it fun, but they've still put in a lot of time doing something for very little gain for themselves. Yeah, there's gonna be the occasional mistake that slips through because they have lives and other things to do. Yeah, sometimes they make some big slip-ups. But you know what? The general quality overall is pretty good. And it's not like the pros don't gently caress up.

I agree but defending mediocrity in any way, shape, or form is really loving dumb. If anything it just means that they'll spell-check their releases closer from now on, which they never would have done if nobody pointed it out.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

Son Ryo posted:

Oh no, don't get me wrong, I'm not defending TV-N's subs in any way, I'm just complaining about SA-Subs' known practice of overwriting the Japanese story and text on screen with its American equivalent.

They're translating. The whole point is to make it so english-speaking viewers know what's going on, and since no english-speakers have played Rockman but they've played Megaman, that's what they go with.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

The Travelogue seems like the only one that would really be interesting.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

Aku posted:

The SNES version had the worst graphics, and overall felt slower than the other ports in my opinion. The 32X and Jaguar played better, but you're right that the SNES beat them both out in terms of music.

That's literally the only good thing anyone has ever said about the 32x port of Doom.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

bpc908 posted:

Never realized they had gun nuts in Japan. Everything I've seen made it look like it's a completely peaceful country

Seeing all of the gun ranges in Hawaii made purely for Japanese tourists is pretty great.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

Krioni posted:

Is there a reasonably affordable way to learn Japanese

Not really, no. If you want to know anything beyond what a typical anime fan knows, you're looking at years of study and practice.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

GO COLLECT SOME FAIRIES ARINO AAAAAA

Dr. Psychobabble posted:

It might be because a lot of the game was skipped. Specially for the second day. Getting help during the challenge is usually fun because Arino is still there to comment, but when he's just handed everything on silver platter...

On the other hand, he took too long to use the hammer on Shadow Link because he probably didn't even know he had a hammer.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

Huh. I didn't know you could use Light Arrows to stun pig Ganon. Makes sense, I guess.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

Is the Holy/Holly thing an intentional gag or a typo?

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

zari-gani posted:

A piece I drew is in the Mega Man Tribute artbook :toot: It's got 300 pieces with all kinds of neat interpretations and styles and is well worth the price. The Complete Works books are awesome, too.

God drat it why are you so loving talented?

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

CATCH COPY WAS RIGGED :argh:

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

More underwear prizes? Really, Japan? This is why all the other countries make fun of you after school.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

Did any of them complain about "In-oo-ee"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

Smornstein posted:

If Fuji TV ever decides to distribute Game Center in the west i will happily give them my money because i've grown to love watching Arino stumble his way through old obtuse games.

Here you go.