Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
Great OP, just one minor nitpick: The Arino's comedy duo is called "Yowiko" or "Yoiko" in romaji, not "Yukio."

quote:

Do any of you people own gamingcx.com? They seem to upload to youtube your translated episodes within hours of you posting them here on megaupload and don't seem to give you credit. If y'all aren't involved with them, you should probably have a word with them.

They do some half hearted credits in the very first post (Takeshi's Challenge) but none at all after that, and a lot of people are under the impression that this is their work. It kinda pisses me off, but unfortunately due to the nature of fansubs I feel like there's not a lot that can be done about this.

Nickoten fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Dec 4, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

I watched that video someone linked and was surprised by how much better it sounded than the Kotaku versions - I actually like the announcer, even if he may not have the same amazing voice that Producer Kan does. I was under the impression that Gawker just licensed pre-made English episodes and put them up, but now in kind of a sad way I'm glad to be even more justified in not liking Kotaku. :v:

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Speaking of retro game collecting, I bought Chrono Trigger sealed over Winter break for 2,000 yen, around 26 USD I believe. This weekend I went into a recently opened Book Off and found it, in a box in pretty good condition for 105 yen, along with Shin Megami Tensei 1 for the same price. I bought both, so now I've got two copies of the drat game. They also had Ghosts and Gobins for 500 yen, a full thousand less than most other places selling it.

Let this be a lesson: Always hunt for retro games in stores not dedicated to them first. And if there's another retro game store somewhat close to a Super Potato, for the love of god check the other one first! I learned my lesson on that one before it was too late, thankfully.

Nickoten fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Jan 16, 2012

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

I just hope they respect the work other people have done and skip over episodes that have already been subbed. It'd be really stupid if they didn't, but I keep feeling like that's what they're going to do.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Usually as they're coming out when there's a competitive rush to see who can do it fastest and best. Otherwise it's because they feel that all other subs are inadequate.

It has nothing to do with respect, though. Doing episodes SA Team has done wouldn't be disrespectful or anything, just wasteful. If they think they can do it much better, then good luck, I guess.

Well I mean more in the sense that they release episodes for the series so rarely that it just seems pointless to wait so long just to watch a sub of an already completed episode, just with more literal subtitles.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Random Stranger posted:

However, you tamage fans might want to shut your eyes tomorrow...

What does this mean? :ohdear:

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Some of my own recommendations, in addition to what's been said before:

Prince of Persia - The time limit is a cool feature and it really adds some tension the further Arino gets in the game.

Quest of Ki - Really interesting game with some unique nuances that make it really fun to watch Arino struggle through it. The Bonk's Adventure episode has the conclusion to this, making it span three episodes.

Ultraman - Another interesting episode because you get to see the nitty gritty of everything that's going on in the game. These are my favorite kinds of episodes - when the audience can really get into the mechanics and see why Arino is struggling. I guess that describes the above two choices, too.

Clocktower - It's a pretty cinematic game, so watching Arino play is nearly as fun as playing it yourself.

Takeshi's Challenge - Introduces the format and is a hilariously terrible game.

Super Mario 64 - It's hard to explain why I like these two episodes, but I guess SM64 is just a great game and this episode really shows why. Arino powers through it so there's not a whole lot of tension, but seeing him discover the many secrets of the game is really fun. Maybe if you don't have any emotional connection to this game it'll be different, but I didn't like the Link to the Past episode and that's like one of my favorite games ever, so I feel it's not just nostalgia speaking for me.

And if you like the parts where Arino walks around and talks to people, then also check out the Korea and Cannes trip specials, because they've got a lot of that stuff and are pretty interesting in general. The North Trip specials are good for that, too.

Just be sure to check who subbed which episodes so you can figure out where to get them. Some of those listed above were subbed by TV Nihon.

Edit: Also just to emphasize that you should watch them, I'd like to second the recommendations for Mighty Bomb Jack (The Kotaku version and then the live one), Adventure Island, and the USA Special.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

I always read good things about Saturn Bomberman. 10 player mode looked like a blast.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

univbee posted:

:eng101: In case, anyone's wondering with the symbol on the "wizard's" forehead, the swastika with the opposite directionality of the Nazi symbol is prevalent in Asian countries including Japan to represent eternity and buddhism; you often see it on maps to show where a buddhist temple is, like how we'd use a cross. Of course, that doesn't make the sequence of errors leading to a white-hooded villain having it on his cap any less hilarious.

The way that particular symbol is facing actually makes it a regular swastika, so in this case it's the Hindu symbol. It would be the manji that you're referring to (卍) if it were facing the other way, like that one I posted.

Of course either way the orientation doesn't even matter because in both Hindu and Buddhist culture either direction is a common sight on temples, in books, on old garments, etc. I just thought I would mention this because a lot of people seem to think that the orientation is the key thing (Though speaking of orientation I think if it was tilted like the Nazi swastika that'd be pretty damning).

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Wow, you guys weren't kidding about the torrents working great. The documentary is going at around 70kbps but the second part just downloaded in just a few minutes at 1.1mb/sec. So much Game Center CX to catch up on. Thanks a lot guys!

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Checking in to say that I love Abe's cooking bits, and it doesn't even bother me that they go into "variety" mode with Arino being a picture-in-picture head on the top left. I usually hate that but with Arino in there it actually added to the experience.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Does anyone happen to have an alternative for getting the Flashback episode? Multiupload doesn't seem to be working.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Thanks for the reupload, RS!

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

zari-gani posted:

I am having a blast :geno:

Holy poo poo. If I were the translation team I'd have just pretended that episode didn't exist. :v:

Instead, you guys actually recommended it. That's dedication.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

I loved this one as a kid. Can't wait to watch it. Thanks!

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

So this starts in an hour right? I need to find a fax machine immediately.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Obeast posted:

http://www.freshverse.com/tv.php

You can watch it on here for free unless there's some problem with the region you're in. You have to sign up, but you can use a bogus e-mail address if you want to make it easy on yourself in terms of possibly getting spam.

Also, didn't zari say something about the producers talking to her about this live show a while back? Did she say or even hint how she might be contributing? I'm thinking that she could've done some art for the episode since she told them that she drew the "America Loves Game Center CX" posters the crew got on the US trip.

Edit: Yeah, she did, but said nothing more about it after that. :raise:

Thanks a lot! They tell you the fax number during the show right?

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Arino in drag. I'd like to see more.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Pilotwings! This is gonna be a great challenge.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Did anyone get a screenshot of the directions for downloading the song?

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

rdbbb posted:

Unfortunately it doesn't matter unless you're in Japan with a Japanese cell phone. maybe it'll show up ripped later on.

I'd be willing to take one for the team and do that if possible.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Woah! Nice job zari gani! And congrats!

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

zari-gani posted:

(I wrote in all katakana 'cause that's standard gaijin speak. Ray was subbed in all-katakana too in the Strider episode recap of the USA trip...)

I never realized Japanese shows did this. It almost seems a little mean-spirited, haha.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

shrgnatlas posted:

Yeah, after 30 something hours of making sure everything ran smoothly after having a pretty hectic night, the repeat is airing again on Fuji NEXT and I'm going to use this time to take a nap. :pseudo:

I don't know how they'll truncate the end, but this airing is scheduled for the following hours:

2012年2月25日(土) 14時00分~22時00分

I'm assuming they'll end the repeat around the 2:00 AM mark from the original broadcast, like they had originally planned. I guess we'll see, (or, I guess you'll see... I'll probably still be asleep).

Hey, just wanted to say thanks again for the stream and I'm glad the event got you to make an SA account!

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

zari-gani posted:

This is my favourite game series of all time (though I choose to believe the fourth game never existed), so I would love to play the Japanese version. I wish there was some way without having to get a Sega CD...

I know this is late, but holy poo poo if this exists I would never need them to make another episode again if they just did an unedited complete run through of the game with Arino (That or Dark/Demons' Souls but those are unlikely) That game's a big part of my childhood and I'd love to see Arino's reactions to it.

Edit: Also really happy that this project has led to at least one person getting a job opportunity!

Nickoten fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Mar 1, 2012

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Random Stranger posted:

Even Gradius 2 is a huge improvement on Gradius. But Gradius is the one that people remember because it was the big monster hit.

This is actually the second shooter challenge of the season. Super Spy Hunter is also a shooter (and a pretty good and challenging one for the famicom/NES IMO).

This is a guess but it might also be that the hackers made use of newer in-cartridge hardware available later, like the memory management controllers and such.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

I was really confused by the posts on the previous page until I realized that time zone differences mean that April Fools can really be two days!

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

I'm offended by Destructoid's headline. Densha de Go legitimately looked like a fun time. :colbert:

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Ah, I stand corrected then. I guess it stands to reason that a Shinkansen game would be pretty drat boring considering the subject matter.

And here I am insulting a game about bullet trains I've never played because it doesn't sound as fun as driving a Yamanote Line train.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

That's what I imagined in my head that a bullet train game would be like but I thought, "No, it can't really be like that" until I read your post. :psyduck:

quote:

The entire Yamanote line is Final. The line (or portions of it) have been in a lot of the games both because it's pretty well-known in Japan and it's got quite a few change ups. You're constantly having to deal with speed management for the bends in the track (it is, after all, a loop) and a fairly exacting schedule.

Oh yeah I wasn't kidding when I said it seemed fun. Was just commenting on how funny my post must look to someone who has no interest in these at all. "This train game seems boring as hell compared to this other train game!"

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

I forgot, where is it that all the fan events for Game Center are posted? I should have been checking religiously. :(

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Every Japanese person I've spoken to about it has told me that university is a lot easier on students than high school and my experience studying abroad has basically been that, too, so far. It's all anecdotal but college in Japan appears to be pretty lenient.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Holy hell, I never thought I'd get to see the Season 0 episodes! I've always wanted to see the interviews that were stripped out. Thank you guys so much!

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

makere posted:

Last year I found barber cut machine here aswell, had stuff like ps3 controllers and ipods, we spent like total of 40eur with a friend to get the controller, but failed.

The cutting part is drat small and you have to line it up perfectly. Also I think the machine cheats By adding random delays to button presses.

I recommend to stay away from them to save your money.

If there's one thing I can say about Japanese prize catchers, it's that they're usually fair. I have never won anything in an American prize catcher in my life, and they've always felt impossible to me. In Japan if you're willing to spend a few bucks you're likely to walk out with something. The machines are 100 yen but I feel actually getting things you'd want rather than lame generic stuff no one has ever heard of (On top of actually having a good chance of winning) makes it worth it.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Tyma posted:

The American-style and Japanese-style machines are equally fair, and both work on the principle of "once enough money has gone into this machine, someone wins a prize worth 1/3 of that money".

The Japanese machines generally involve playing until a prize has been nudged into a winnable position, or in the case of the Barber Shop machine, hotting the wire with a blunt blade enough times that the wire starts to sever. You can't win by skill alone, but players who understand the game can usually look at the machine, and make a reasonable estimate of how many times more the machine has to be played, before the prize becomes winnable

The only difference with American-style machines is that it's harder for an onlooker to judge how many more plays the machine will take before it becomes winnable. Instead of a claw that controls the same every time, the strength of the claw varies based on how much money is in the machine. When the machine has accumulated 300% of the value of the prize, the claw's gripping properties will change, and the machine will pay out.

A modern variation of SWP games now hitting both Japan and American are based on the concept of a "Magic Pixel". The most transparant of these is Stacker - a game where you have to use skill to drop giant pixels ontop of each other until they reach the top. As the game is accumulating money, it will allow players to reach the top of the screen, but if they successfuly hit the jackpot, the game will simply ignore the winning input, and show the player that they hit a fraction of a second too early or too late. Only when the machine has accumulated enough money to pay out the prize, will the game start aknowledging correct presses, and let the player win. Another good example is Key Master, which works on the same principle, but also ignores correct inputs, and nudges the player's aim one pixel to the right to stop a successful win, until it accumulates enough money to pay out.

Whether these games are winnable or not depends on the honesty of the staff operating the machines. If 900 people in a row play Stacker, then it will pay out an iPad on the 900th play, but that's assuming nobody empties the machine, or resets the counter inbetween those 900 plays.

In Japan, it seems to make good business sense to let the machines pay out, so that players win, or see other people win, and are re-assured that all is fair. Outside Japan, arcade owners are traditionaly a little less honest, and would probably rather keep their iPad AND the $900.

I honestly find the Japanese method of visually showing the current status a lot fairer. I'm not good at prize catchers but I've won plenty of stuff here without breaking the bank just by watching carefully. There are also definitely machines that can be won in like two or three goes just by knowing what the proper method is. Not to say that there aren't cases where a prize has to be bumped around a whole lot of times before it becomes winnable within 500 yen, because those kinds of machines are also numerous. It's a far cry from how rare this can be in American machines though. Granted I'm not talking about machines that pay out iPods and Wiis and stuff - just really sweet Monster Hunter plushes and giant Rilakkuma merchandise. Things people want but aren't in the realm of the fantastic as far as what you could win with 100 yen.

Also...

Hirayuki posted:

Hell, in Japan it's not unknown for staff to occasionally rearrange prizes to give you a leg up.

This is very common, and I noticed it on multiple occasions in Osaka. If a staff sees you try a couple times on a game and fail they'll usually come and put it in a more winnable position for you. Of course, it's entirely possible that without their help the prize would be one of those cases where you'd have to spend tens of dollars nudging the drat thing, but at the very least if you just show the guys working there (They're constantly walking around monitoring the machines) that you gave it a go and want to try again they're very helpful.

Edit: If you haven't picked up on the undertones of this post, yes I have become slightly addicted to UFO Catchers.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Gutcruncher posted:

In the Yakuza videogames you can have the Club Sega staff rearrange the prizes in the UFO catcher for you. I just kinda figured it was something they made for the game because hey, its a videogame why not, but its crazy that theres actual real life precedent for this!

Wait, there's a UFO catcher simulator in Yakuza? Why the gently caress am I not playing it right now?

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

You are like that dude in the first Yakuza who lost all his money trying to win a prize for his girlfriend or something. Or maybe he sold his girlfriend's present to keep playing? I forget but basically what I'm saying is that people addicted to ufo catchers are crazy and also you're crazy.

Well, I kid, but I really don't see how such a thing can be so addictive.

It just feels good to give your friends sweet gifts! :unsmith: Conversely that's why I also have no proof (That doesn't include pictures of my friends, at least) to show you guys how winnable they are here. =/

I'm not seriously addicted, but I do give them a try when I'm in the big city and happen across a machine that looks possible.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

zari-gani posted:

I asked one of my friends from Japan about this and she said saying "domo" would be seen as weird. See, I'm paranoid about this sort of thing because I have the disadvantage of not looking like a foreigner when I'm in Japan. I'm always afraid of coming across as some idiot.

I'm glad someone else has this problem. I usually say "arigatou gozaimasu" when I get my change and "arigatou gozaimashita" when the whole thing is over. I don't know why, but I think it might be that I saw my tutor doing that or something.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Tewratomeh posted:

At this point, can we just start referring to all iterations of Street Fighter 2, starting with Street Fighter 2 Non-whatever Edition, as "Street Fighter X" with X being whatever the number would be in chronological order?

Barely anybody even remembers or has played the first Street Fighter. Street Fighter 2 is the first Street Fighter, every subsequent game is a sequel, even if they're identical games.

So, Street Fighter 2 Champion Edition becomes Street Fighter 3? And Street Fighter 3 becomes Street Fighter 7? :psyduck:

And where does Alpha fit into this?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Bocc Kob posted:

I can't tell if you're joking or if they really made that many Alpha games. :psyduck:

I believe he is in fact missing the GBA and PSP versions which added new characters. But hey, thanks to the modern technology that is the decimal system, that's not even an issue! :unsmith: