Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

NBHS posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AHVSamD5WQ

TASers are nuts. This video shows one series of inputs that beats both Mega Man X AND Mega Man X2. And this is on the fairly tame end of the spectrum.

I'm fairly sure that the MMX 1, 2 & 3 simul-TAS tops that. Oh, and that's with 100% completion on all three games.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cj67TKjDARI

The Megaman 3, 4, 5 & 6 one is pretty nuts, too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5pz6waED0w

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 21:03 on May 23, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

I've got that latest episode downloading now, but I'll be very surprised if Arino wins this one. The latter sections of SF2010 (well, whatever it is in Japanese - I know it has an entirely different story) are brutal.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

zari-gani posted:

One of my favourite untranslated episodes is Child Rearing Quiz My Angel. Should I do that one next?

You've never steered us wrong - lead on, Chief! Call the shots!

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

McLaglen posted:

Around the early 2000's, it span off into a separate channel called CNX, ditching TOM and the rest of the plot but retaining all the shows, adding in some of CN's more mature shows of the time (Samurai Jack) as well some live-action in the form of special interest programmes (eg. extreme sports) and 'World Cinema' movies. It's my opinion that CNX would have been the perfect channel for airing legal, subtitled episodes of Game Center CX... if CNX was still around.

CNX was brilliant... for a time. And then they started filling the late-night slots with Sports Illustrated Bikini Time or whatever the gently caress it's called, and it was all downhill from there. It shut down not too long after that.

Around the same time the UK Sci-fi channel was experiencing a similar collapse, changing from a genuinely cool channel that put experimental stuff on at night, and had the balls to air Evangelion on sunday mornings. No joke. And then they stopped showing weird and edgy sci-fi at night, and instead started on Emmanuel: The Series.

And now they're called Syfy and suck. It's genuinely depressing to remember the peak of satellite TV like that.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

pnumoman posted:

Have I told you lately that I love you? Because I do. Very much.

Seconding this. It is a deep, platonic love. The kind that a starving puppy has for the kindly stranger that gives it a fresh, juicy streak every weekend.

Can't wait for Battletoads.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Corridor posted:

Oh god. My friend and I were watching it going, "What the hell are those ants or something?" And now I'm just... :psyduck:

They definitely look like ants to me - the recording is pretty blurry, but I'm fairly sure they've got three legs on each side. Black people tend not to have those. They're giant ants, of course, but this game also has birds the size of jetfighters that drop boulders and highly corrosive, car-devouring poop onto the track, too.

It's just hard to tell because the art (and everything else) in the game is so uniformly lovely.

Edit: You can actually see how they draw black people at 42:38 - the crowds at the side. It's still very lovely looking, but in a non-offensive, 'we just can't draw people, period' sorta way.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Aug 17, 2012

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Congrats! And you should totally take them up on their offer someday. You might even get an appearance on the show.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

kirbysuperstar posted:

All the time.

That's probably why so many people misread the Metal Gear games. Kojima is a very, very silly person, but plays it completely deadpan.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

zari-gani posted:

I should mention that I'm on board the Retro Game Challenge 2 translation team now.

nene. posted:

Thank you i love you

Seconded. I am officially hyped.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Hirayuki posted:

"Kuso" is a typical mild expletive in Japan used by middle-aged men (including Arino; listen for it). It literally means "poo poo" but is as mild as "dammit", which is how SA-GCCX translates it.

I think a better middle-ground would probably be 'Crap'. Same meaning, same milder TV-friendly usage.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

ConanThe3rd posted:

It's region locking, it ain't got to make a lick of poo poo sense.

And just when it looks like we might be getting past it, Nintendo go and introduce region-locking to handheld systems. You know, those things people take with them when they travel, and might even want to buy games for.

At least we don't have PAL/NTSC issues to worry about anymore, now that we've finally got an international TV standard.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Ah, well I was under the impression that it was just an HD update like the other 2 games. The only "new game" I was aware of was Bangai-O Spirits on the DS.

It's kinda like Bangai-O Spirits, but bigger and better and with really playful level design, but it does seem like Treasure are on life support. Sin & Punishment 2 was one of the most expensive projects they've done, and it just completely failed to sell even in Japan, which sucks because it's great.

S&P2 is one of the Wii games that emulates even better on PC than on the original hardware. Doesn't even need any control reconfiguration - the default Dolphin setup maps perfectly to WSAD + mouse in the game.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Zain posted:

What really? I have Star Successor and it's awesome for sure. But it plays like it was meant for Mouse and Keyboard? Does it play better/easier?

As the game doesn't use any actual motion-sensing, it effectively treats the pointer like a mouse anyway. Actually using a real mouse makes aiming a little faster/easier, and movement maps automatically to WSAD, with Shift and Space for Dodge and Jump.

It also looks fantastic at 1080p, anti-aliased and polished up. Click the little gear icon to view shots at full res.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 05:39 on May 11, 2013

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I wonder who owns the rights to Herzog Zwei these days, if anyone.

It seems to be one of those names just lost to the mists of time. Still, it did get a spiritual successor quite recently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5iuGhLQeaoE

I have a feeling that they'd have used the original name if they could have gotten hold of it, too.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Strania is probably their best game, it's a really fun vertical shmup, giant-robot themed, with tons of fun weapons to play around with, great stages, great bosses, etc etc. It's on XBLA for only 800 points, if you like shmups at all you should pick it up. Here's the US trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4EC4m73SQk

Also worth noting is that Strania has an expansion on XBLA, too. Another $5, but doubles the size of the game - it's an entire second set of levels/bosses.

Edit: Ah, hey, they mention that in the trailer. Oops.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jun 7, 2013

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Gutcruncher posted:

Stewart Ashens Game Center UK. Such an odd adaptation since he only challenges strange chinese knockoffs and refuses to show his face. On the plus side they wont need to pay a camera man!

His obscure C64/Spectrum game reviews are pretty brilliant. And he does occasionally show his face. I agree that he'd be a great choice for a western version GCCX, though - he's quiet and understated enough for it to work.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

I'd love to see full-resolution, 60fps. It'd probably be over 1gb per episode but I'd totally get that anyway. Mega supports files that large, right?

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Someone needs to put it up on Mega, who have more bandwidth than god (seriously, no logins and I pull down almost 3MB/s sometimes). Dropbox is nice for sharing with 1-2 people, but the moment you have more than a dozen or two recipients, it locks itself down.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Light Gun Man posted:

Metro Cross owns, gently caress yes :getin:

There was apparently a remake/sequel in the works a while back. It looks pretty complete and polished in this trailer, too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qt00OxDKXb4

For some reason they canned it, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

The company that now owns Langrisser and other old IPs like Assault Suits (Cybernator, Target Earth) and Cho Aniki is trying to relaunch them at the moment, so I don't wonder if we won't see some of those games soon. Cybernator in particular seems like a good candidate.

The Assault Suits license (Cybernator) was recently given to Dracue, the little indie team that produced Gunhound, which you can get on Steam. Other than being scaled up from the PSP (hence the chunky pixels), it's a very fun, slightly more arcadey take on the series.

The series is in good hands.