Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Mister Chief posted:

It's finally happened guys. Next week's episode is apparently Battletoads. I really hope you guys choose to sub this when a good version becomes available.

Isn't the Japanese version of Battletoads significantly easier than the American one? I think I recall reading that somewhere, but I could totally wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

redmercer posted:

Yoiko: Giggin' Frogs & Punching Chickens

And are you serious Mister Chief? Don't toy with our emotions...

Whenever I see that CERO A, I always think of AO...and now I can't stop giggling for some reason

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
I just watched an entire episode of a TV show in a language I don't understand, and I loved it. I find it odd that the episode ends while it's still light out, but maybe they had too much great footage for one ep. Has scenes from part two on it as well, and they looks awesome...this is being worked on right. I recall that it didn't take too long for the USA special to get translated and that was twice as long with far more dialog.

So I can expect this tomorrow...right?

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Shlapintogan posted:

- Take yet another if he takes his hands off the controller in victory and it ends up backfiring.

- Take yet another if he is surprised by a boss's multiple forms.

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

redmercer posted:

And it'd be the perfect way to have the MSX on the show! (yeah, yeah, they'd probably do the Famicom version...)

This brings up an interesting question. When a game is available on multiple platforms, what dictates which platform they use? Metal Gear on the MSX is a different game than the one on the Famicom, and the Famicom one isn't the fondly remembered one (at least not in Japan). If they ever played Prince of Persia 2, would they use the PC version (or maybe the Japan released PC 98 version), or would they use the inferior SNES version (I don't even know if the game got a SuFami release)?

Just something I've been wondering.

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Demostrs posted:

I don't think you get SA Typically, we don't like people introducing themselves on the Forums, plus those types of emotes (ie: ^^) are frowned upon as well. Just a heads up.

On the contrary, it is you that does not get SA. We welcome people introducing themselves, especially on threads such as these. You paid your $10 fee, welcome to the family.:D

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
This one caused a bit of a double take when I first saw it. "Takeshi's Challenge? That's already been done...oh, Castle. Alright then. Awesome.".

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Kacho No Bonus will always be my favorite (and I'm trying to add the .gif, but it's too big). It's on the Bonk's Adventure episode. Start at around 13:20 to get the full effect.

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Hirayuki posted:

Not the one here?

I tried adding that one but it wouldn't work. I tried both attaching it and using imgur and neither worked.

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
The TENSION! Are we going to witness a miracle...

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
I just had a bit of a thought. Is there any idea as to how many people watch each GCCX subbed episode? Number from trackers and download links and the such? Just wondering.

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Well, according to Wikipedia

Valis X

Valis X (Valis Cross) was a hentai attempt to resurrect the series. There are five Valis X titles that retell the stories of the first four games containing copious amounts of lesbian acts and tentacle sex. The game was developed by Eants but was published by Telenet Japan. This was also the last game published by Telenet Japan.

The game was released to celebrate the 20th anniversary of the series however, the game was poorly received by critics and fans of the series.

So, yeah... (really liked Super Valis IV on SNES)

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

geri_khan posted:

I've been getting caught up on episodes I missed/skipped, and just finished Umihara Kawase. Great episode. Interesting and difficult game, and I finally got to see Inoue's debut and the famous old lady in the tamage segment! Episodes like this are what GCCX is about for me.

Since Random Stranger just reposted the USA trip, was anyone else really disappointed that the Doom cartridge in the game shop didn't work? I'd have liked to see Arino's reaction to that.

Though the Doom cart not working is unfortunate (though I believe that was actually due to the fact they were using C64 monitors), I really would've love to seen Arino's reaction to games like Yo Noid!, Super Mario Bros 2, and Dragon Power. Games that got drastically altered for their American release.

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
There is one connection (though slight) between GTA and Gamecenter CX. The creator of the Grand Theft Auto franchise was also the creator of Lemmings. A neat little bit of trivia.

Speaking of violent games that could work well with GCCX, I think Arino would do ok with the SuFami version of Mortal Kombat II. It is somewhat censored (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mysUcyxPY1s), and without any rolling motions he might just be ok at it. It'd be an interesting episode anyway.

Vlaphor fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Feb 28, 2012

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Awesome news. I was originally on the fence about whether or not I would buy this ( Bad dubs vs. Wanting to support the show) but now it's a guaranteed buy.

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
One thing I'd like to see more of in the states (or anywhere non-Japan) is GCCX merch. Books in a language I can understand, figures that don't cost an arm/leg to obtain. Before this, the only thing we've ever seen had almost all references to GCCX removed from it. Hopefully this will be the first step to a future rich in GCCX swag.

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Ok, this is just too adorable. I was reading a few of the twitter accounts looking for pics when I saw that Urakawa actually responded to several English comments. The on that caught my eye was this one, from Billy Causey @Soryiu

@uratokawa Greetings from America. I want to donate "Doom", the game that Arino could not get to work in LA, to the show. How can I do this?

To which Urakawa replied

@Soryiu Hi!! What's"doom"?

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Thank you for another sure-to-be-awesome release!

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
That "spell" he was casting at the end looked an awful lot like he was trying to avoid exploding in a stream of profanities. "Remember, you are the Kacho. Beloved by all for your friendly demeanor."

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
I just started watching Freshverse not too long ago, and I don't really have an idea of what's going now (interviewing French/Italian models), but I will say one thing. I love Japanese commercials. I would buy the products they sell, just to encourage more ads.

Just saw Bruce Willis selling cars! Whoo!

Vlaphor fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Mar 3, 2012

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
If I may hope against hope...a special DVD exclusive challenge for the American release?

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Kiranamos posted:

The music seems out of place for the graphics/gameplay, like someone is playing their own soundtrack on top of the game.

This was always one of the biggest problems with Sega CD games was that only the music was enhanced. You still had the same low quality sound effects and it just sounded bad. The was especially true if the game was a straight port with music added (like the Ecco games).

My personal favorite Sega CD soundtrack probably goes to the Terminator game

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-utO7xpuZdA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnGt2w6JHOw

though the Eccos were pretty good as well.

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Anything else worth mentioning on the American dvd release. Extras, looks at the show, a special challenge recorded for GCCX's first ever overseas dvd release, things like that?

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

zari-gani posted:

If there's anything worth mentioning it wouldn't be prudent of me to reveal it before Discotek announces it themselves.

Ah. I understand..."wink"

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Just wanted to pop in and say thanks for the awesome episode.

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Volfogg posted:

Oh yeah, I actually jsut recently got my 3DS, and wanted to get in on that GCCX Swapnote Stationery. Here's my 3DS Friend Code for whoever can help me out.

2449-4749-1808

I also wouldn't mind the gccx swapnote stuff. I just recently found out how to access my friend code for my 3ds, so I'm asking for it a bit late, but here it is.

3265-5055-3310

Thanks

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Runaway Bro posted:

Two releases in two days is basically fantastic. Thanks for all your hard work, guys! I always enjoy seeing Arino take on games I've never even heard of.

I got you guys covered, if you're still waiting. 4554-0202-8700.

So do we just send you a message and receive the stationary that way? It's been awhile and I couldn't find the instructions when I looked through the last twenty or so pages of the thread.

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
I was just looking through old episodes and I saw that Arino played some Dragon Buster during a Tamage on episode 3 (Ghosts & Goblins).

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
I don't think that there is one good episode for getting people hooked on GCCX, it all depends on who you are trying to get interested. One example is with my former roommate, who was never really a big fan of the show until the Bonk's Adventure episode was released. He had fond memories of that game as a child and that worked in it's favor.

My suggestion would be to start with games that the person who's watching might have played. My personal favorite episode is the Lemmings one (not the 24hr one, but the first run through).

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
One thing about episodes being pulled that I've always questioned is what happens to the extra content? Most likely, what we are getting in replacement is just going to be the challenge itself and not anything else. Would it be possible to edit out the footage of the challenge and just leave the rest? That's pretty much what was done in Gargoyle's Quest II, the licensed stuff was edited out and we got the rest.

That's something that has always irritated me about anti-piracy/licensing stuff is when the customer is asked to pay for an inferior product while the people who choose not play to by the rules get the better item. I'll be buying the DVD's day one, but I think there should be a better way to deal with episodes getting licensed than just removing them completely.

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
I recently got a Vita and I want the lock screen wallpaper that was posted here earlier, but I don't even have a general idea where in these 100 pages to find it. Does anyone here still have it (and could put it up)? Thank you

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Thanks. That's the one I was looking for. Now I just need to find out how to use it. I'm sure Google will help me there.

Edit--Done.

Vlaphor fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Apr 22, 2012

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
GCCX starts in about 10 min right?

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Introducing Old Arino

http://i.imgur.com/3huRY.jpg

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
His old makeup is just drawings and a bad wig/bald cap. He almost looks cel shaded.

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
How does he do?

Find out on part 2.

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Did you get a chance to meet the man in charge, maybe mention that you saw his business on GameCenter CX? I know the people who run the game store that Arino visited during his America trip have mentioned hearing about it, and have discussed it on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/4JAYSVideoGames

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
This is awesome timing. I was just about to head out to the gym, and I always watch GCCX during my cardio (two 30 min sets of cardio on machines, hour long episodes, works perfectly) and now I'll have something new to watch (as soon as it download and then converts to a format my Iphone can play...vlc wont play the high-def episodes).

Edit--It appears that wont happen tonight. Download speed on the torrent dropped from 500k to 30 k. Oh well, something to watch when I finish.

Vlaphor fucked around with this message at 02:23 on May 10, 2012

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Alpha3KV posted:

I really loved it when Arino died for the first time, shouted "Cleared!", then feigned surprise when informed that was, in fact, a bad ending.

I'd love a gif of that exact scene, but I'm horrible at making gifs from videos and all the instructions I could google were for smaller video files (or used programs now described as legacy).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Bocc Kob posted:

How the hell did Arino come up with that? :psypop:

That story was insane. How are you supposed to know you got the right ending if the killer changes?

That's kind of a common thing with visual novels like this, the fact that the villain isn't the only one capable of killing you (or the fact that you die without seeing who did it). A good example of this is 999 on the DS (which I suggest everyone who found this game kinda interesting play). It's very unlikely that the villain changed. On a side note, there's a game on IOS (and Android, but I can't get it working on my Tablet) called "The Secret of Chateu De Moreau" where various non-villains can kill you, but according to the developers, this doesn't indicate their guilt. Kind of an alternate reality caused by your actions that isn't canon.