Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
downout
Jul 6, 2009

Killin_Like_Bronson posted:

How do you get the guy on his last week of work do his share? He's leaving and he knows it, the company be damned. Religion can work against it as Jesus will be here any day now. So in conclusion, I don't know.

It definitely is hard to accomplish something when a large group of the electorate are of the opinion that they are in the process of bringing about a prophecy they think is necessary for them to get to heaven. It really brings the question to mind of, "How hosed up do you have to be, to think that bringing about the death of billions of human beings is a WIN for your religion that will give you eternal life?"

Actions that completely go against the preachings of your own main prophet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

downout
Jul 6, 2009

zachol posted:

Stupid question: What are the practical consequences of all this? Things will get a few degrees warmer... doesn't that just mean that ecosystems will shift around a little, break apart, and then develop into new ones after a couple decades?
I mean, just to be really ignorant for a second, if temperatures go up by, oh, four degrees, won't the things that grow in one spot move north/south/higher in latitude to an area that's currently four degrees cooler (as in, will be the same temperature that they're currently in)?
I mean, I'm assuming this is completely wrong, I'm just not sure why.

I'm no expert, but from my understanding temperatures are changing too rapidly for species to adapt. This interrupts evolution, and the process becomes unable to handle the change due to how fast it is happening. Evolution would normally handle (is that even the right word?) an environmental change for a species, but it works over longer time scales. In a short time scale it collapses, and there is an extinction event for many species. Those better educated can probably explain this better.

downout
Jul 6, 2009

The person who supposedly created the Heartland leak came forward: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/21/science/earth/activist-says-heartland-climate-papers-obtained-by-deceit.html

I linked the NYT article, but Google news has all the different links. The spin is hilarious. When climate researchers got their emails hacked it was a massive blow to the credibility of climate change research even though there wasn't evidence of anything new. When a propaganda organization gets their material swiped, all of a sudden this is evidence for why climate change is a lie, and there are people just trying to cover up the truth even though the documents released show some blatant lying by Heartland.

downout
Jul 6, 2009

eh4 posted:

This will not stand.

I couldn't resist because the message is so dumb.

downout
Jul 6, 2009

TyroneGoldstein posted:

In that white space, i'd spray paint: Michigan Does.

They've been absolutely devastated by the wack rear end weather this winter.

poo poo like that is just shameful. I love free speech, but poo poo like this tests my patience.

You should probably note that just because it's an above average temperature in a given region for a period of time is not really a great argument for global warming. It is global. This really is akin to deniers going outside in the winter and saying, "What global warming? Dumb scientists!" The mild winter in the northeast of the U.S. is just one data point and should be looked at in the context of many winters over the entire globe.

• Locked thread