Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Konstantin posted:

It seems like we are at the point where mitigation strategies are useless. It getting clearer that the window for doing something about climate change is closing, and unless something absolutely fundamental changes in the political environment, there is no we we can get where we need to be to hold this problem off. Given that this is the case, it might be time to shift the focus from prevention to management. Instead of saying "We need to prevent climate change." we will soon need to say "How can we deal with climate change so that fewer people die and civilization as a whole does not collapse?" Instead of funding green energy, we need to fund mass relocation plans to move millions of people out of areas that will be flooded in a few decades. We've made our bed, now we have to lie in it, and the sooner we start planning for the coming catastrophe the better chance we have of coming out of it alive.
If people won't recognize the pressing and immediate need to change the way we treat our environment, how are you possibly going to think society as a whole is going to recognize the need to relocate because were going to destroy our planet within 30 years?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

The real part that gets me is those responsible for accelerating this process aren't going to be around to live with the effects. What right does anyone like Rush to insert himself in this discussion?

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

TACD posted:

Just in case you were still tempted to feel the slightest bit optimistic about any of this:

An Illustrated Guide to the Science of Global Warming Impacts: How We Know Inaction Is the Gravest Threat Humanity Faces

I'm not going to quote the whole thing because it's goddamn long and has charts and links out the wazoo, but if you wanted a roundup of just how hosed we are in every arena then this should really brighten your day.
Hell and high water. I like that. I mean I don't like that, but I like it. God we are so hosed. Nobody is ever going to listen, are they?

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Yiggy posted:

If you're not in your 40's and up yet, hurry up. I figure they'll get out of this totally pain free.
22 :smithicide: I just don't understand how the environment is always on the back burner.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Urban bi-coastal elite....holy poo poo go gently caress yourself, Myron.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Maluco Marinero posted:

Really don't think so. Proof doesn't do it, I don't see a single destructive event as enough to bring people around. Hell, the doubters use the same techniques with regards to rain in drought times, one hurricane isn't going to bring them around.
Certainly not, but the fact that pretty noteworthy politicians and media outlets are even discussing it is encouraging. We haven't heard a drat word on climate change from anyone/thing that mattered since 2009.

• Locked thread