Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit
:yotj:
So what can someone breaking into environmental science expect their future to be? Trying to keep food and water available? Cleaning things up? Impotently warning ignorant masses? Only keeping the rich in a clean place while living on their land and hiding your face from the starving, sickened masses?

Really. I like water and I'd like to think I'd be keeping people from dying of thirst more than just keeping irrigation available for the rich at the expense of the poor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit

McDowell posted:

If this is accurate:

Russia 2050 :smug:

Alaska being a bread basket is amusing to think about, if only before I realize it means lots of clear cutting.

I wonder what Canada makes of this?

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit

TOOT BOOT posted:

They're buying up copies of Fallout 3 for clues to how the next 50 years are going to go down.

The map kind of shows them benefiting?

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit

TOOT BOOT posted:

The game lore depicts the United States annexing them for natural resources.

Sorry, I played the first two fallouts so I was thinking of desertification.

I'll be hosed if I wouldn't kill for a sequel in the style of the first two.

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit

Placid Marmot posted:

If a given plant no longer likes its climate, it will be grown somewhere cooler. It's not like a forest that will just die after a few decades; farmers further from the equator will start to grow that crop and the former growers will switch to a crop that likes warmer weather. Only "natural" or otherwise ancient forests and their ecology will suffer from changing climate zones, as they cannot naturally migrate fast enough to survive (if there is even space in which to migrate). Remember that crops are human creations and are grown according to desire, not necessity.

So how fast are humans and human farms and the crops on the farms able to migrate? You don't move farms so much as give up where you are and start over all over again and eat the cost of doing so. Hell, it's not that easy for just a person to move. poo poo, I'm a programmer, no kids, and I can't just pull stakes and leave where I am, and I REALLY BADLY want to. I'm one of the most mobile demographics that could exist short of "nomad" or "independently wealthy."

Then there's also the whole matter of millions and millions of people in a nation (or billions around the globe) migrating and what kind of a logistical bumblefuck that would be.

Also, just because the 'band on the globe of a given climate by temperature' moves north, does not mean that the rain patterns is what you like or the soil there is appropriate either.

So, yes, in principle what you say applies, when you factor in all the other crap, it turns into, at best, a massive can of worms.

• Locked thread