Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Execu-speak
Jun 2, 2011

Welcome to the real world hippies!

Dreylad posted:

Because for some reason in North America it's become a politicized left/right issue. That hasn't really happened anywhere else.

No, no, it is exactly the same here in Australia, left wants action on climate change, right wants to bury it's head in the ground. I actually work in the emissions reduction industry and deal with the public a lot, the amount of ignorance and outright denial that it's even an issue leaves me with absolutely no hope that we are going to successfully do anything about this problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Execu-speak
Jun 2, 2011

Welcome to the real world hippies!
Well you can count me as someone on the exact same page as you. I can't say exactly when I arrived at my viewpoint but it was sometime over the last few years.

Like you I get called a pessimist or 'doomsayer' whenever I speak my mind, but basically I can't see how we can possibly avert the major and catastrophic changes that are coming. We are beyond the point of no return, no amount of wishy washy personal 'going green' measures, carbon trading or farcical 'Earth Hour' awareness bullshit is going to make a bit of difference.

The way I see it our society has had decades where the problem was apparent, however instead of taking action to mitigate this when it was still possible we sat on our hands and buried our heads in the sand. Now with the problem beginning to bear down on us the time for incremental steps and gradual change is over. Our only hope is to make immediate fundamental changes to the way we live on a global scale, this just is not going to happen. The only way we will change our ways on this scale is when we're forced to, call me a cynical bastard but I'm sorry that is just the reality of us as a species.

I honestly find it disgusting that in 2012 people are still arguing over whether or not human driven climate change is happening at all. Personally I think this is largely due to denialist propaganda shovelled down the worlds throat by the fossil fuel industry and their political backers. Those guys are the real criminals in all this, and fittingly they are not going to be around to see the fruit of their greed.

I think in the future our society right now is going to be viewed as criminal for what it has done.

Execu-speak fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Jun 14, 2012

• Locked thread