Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

WarpedNaba posted:

Apparently we can place these things in the ground that suck carbon dioxide out of the atmosphere and at the same time oxygenate the atmosphere, and they even grow larger and provide habitats for things when they do!
gently caress that we got to tear those fuckers down and strip mine everything!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

WarpedNaba posted:

What we need is to convince a philanthropist to invest in cleaner energy research. Imagine the traction you'd have with the hipster crowd if you managed to convince Steve Jobs to invest in Thorium instead of Homeopathic medicine.
You'd think Gates or Buffett would be interested in that, but then again I may be wrong thinking that they are not shithead rich people.

Had to deal with some people talking bullshit about climate change, the usual buzz words stuff. One guy told me "Extreme weather? Down in the Southeast we've been nice and getting good rain here. :smug:" Also someone else told me about the classic, "If we are blaming humans for Global Warming, we might as well say that the Dinosaurs died because of SUVs :psyduck:" My god I thought with sentience we would have better chance than the trilobites in surviving a mass extinction event, but nope. :negative:

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Rhjamiz posted:

In addition to albedo, if I remember my Oceanography class correctly, arctic sea ice is a primary driver of deep sea ocean currents. The last time those stopped it caused a Mass Extinction Event.
I take it this was the Younger Dryas Event?

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Evil_Greven posted:

We're just so very hosed:

Aauuugh :smithicide: the same poo poo is happening with science, too.
God if only I could become dictator of this country, I would throw the Koch brothers and their cronies in a room that pumps methane in it then use their wealth to fund climate change research/solutions.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

James The 1st posted:

I think Pope Francis' encyclical is going to be a big deal for American politics, because the GOP can't fool people into thinking that they follow Catholic social teaching anymore. It needs to be remember that he's coming to visit the US in a few months, so talk about Laudato Si will be a big thing.
I don't think it will because this is the country that had a freakout when a Catholic was running for president because they feared him to be a vessel for the Vatican.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

CommieGIR posted:

That is what I meant. Nobody cares until the cost hits them personally.
And it will never cost the rich CEOs because they can just weasel their way out until the Earth is doomed

Its like the Masque of the Red Death basically

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

It was 70 degrees in Pittsburgh today :stare:

Though I suppose you have to account for El Nino

• Locked thread