Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
This is the new, hip version of worrying about the hole in the ozone layer. Fix enough of these problems over enough generations and we'll just have to face the heat death of the planet via an expanding Sun.

zeroprime posted:

What? No, that's the best part. All of the crazy global conspiracies and shadow machinations that are posited for why scientists are clearly faking reams and reams of data and lying to us in order to stop ?progress? ?capitalism? ?freedom?
Industrialization. It's going to be harder for the dense, arguably overpopulated corners of Asia to put up smokestacks and work their way to living like 20th century Americans (usually the old, unsafe, die-in-a-factory-fire half of the century) when the big mean advanced nations come around and tell them that any further modern industrialism will gently caress up the planet for everyone.

I've really heard it this way; that you basically are advocating for people to live like it's the 1700s after you've already got yours, you selfish pig.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Morose Man posted:

One phrase sounds alarming but puzzles imbeciles. One phrase sounds non-alarming which stacks with all the other cognitive problems I mentioned to guarantee we will never address this problem until we see Los Angeles drown.

I know which one I prefer.

I listened to an episode of CBC's Ideas with a climate advocate who is pretty drat politically extreme (would refer to GWB in his lecture as "The Bush Crime Family", to give you an idea.) I dislike science that's been salted with heavy politics but he was informative enough that I could put it aside. Even this guy preferred climate change to global warming because climate change actually says what's going to happen: the expected climate for a given region is going to change. You'll see snow where you never see snow, tornadoes where there shouldn't be any, areas rich with crops won't be farmable, etc.

Or as he said, "when you tell people global warming is coming, they assume you mean the Hollywood disaster movie bit where the ice caps melt and the water level rises up and entombs our coastal cities. I keep trying to tell people that's the least immediate problem; don't worry about that, it's not going to sneak up on you."

• Locked thread