Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

McDowell posted:

:negative: B.b.b.but McDowell! Uranium is a scarce resource too!

This leads to part two:

SPACE EXPLOITATION

With a new "cheap modular nuclear" bubble we can build cheap modular nuclear energy modules for stations and spacecraft. China, the EU, and Russia are all digging space, too. We open source our life support, docking systems; anything that is peaceful and should be cross compatible. Space tech is a great place to establish diplomatic ties and stabilize the global system (as the economy expands its resource base outwards)

I consider this to be a continuation of Atoms for Peace; gently caress the haters, I'm an Eisenhower Conservative :smug:

What about thorium-fueled reactors? I had heard that thorium is way more abundant than uranium, and the fuel cycle is utterly worthless for making weapons-grade material.

Though asteroid mining could still come in handy for getting materials for things like solar cells and electric car batteries.

Spazzle posted:

I find it hard to believe that people will willingly give up their luxuries, even in the face of disaster. At any point in time, they will always say that the cost is too much, and that their changes wouldn't make any difference. Any changes we make in the short term will make life significantly more unpleasant, and any benefit will be long off. You have to give cars, planes, cheap and reliable power, cheap products, most foods, and lots of other things we associate with a high quality of life. Things might get better in the long run as we learn to cope, but thats a maybe vs a certainty of a lowered standard of living now. The people who will most affected by climate change are the poorest, and thus those with the least power to change anything (since they have have the least to give up).

And then there's the inverse correlation between standards of living and birth rates. Having people make such drastic cuts wouldn't do much good in the long run if we only end up having to worry about overpopulation again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread