Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Pellisworth posted:

Ah ok, yeah that makes a lot more sense, thanks! Now the science nerd gears in my head are spinning, something like that might work pretty well. Especially if you found a CA from a thermophilic organism, CaCO3 is more insoluble at higher temps. Still doesn't solve your problem of getting from bicarb to carbonate, though. You might look into the biochemistry of shell-forming marine critters. You wouldn't necessarily have to maintain reaction conditions at low enough pH that all your bicarb converts to carbonate. In fact that might be a bad idea, low pH is no good for calcite formation. You just want your rate of calcite precipitation to equal your rate of CO2 conversion to bicarb. How you do that, don't ask me ;) I don't usually think much about practical applications of these things :P

Edit: yeah, that oxalate reaction is pretty slick. It's just a matter of how you generate those 4e- per CO2 molecule sequestered. Have you done any reading on the more primitive CO2 fixation pathways? I'm not super familiar with them, but there are several fairly unusual and recently discovered biochemical alternatives to the Calvin cycle. I have no idea if there's much inspiration there for engineering CO2 sequestration reactions based on those, but nature has a way of coming up with some pretty awesome stuff all on its own. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbon_fixation#Other_autotrophic_pathways

Jesus. Now I actually know how it feels to be a moron, but I feel slightly better listening to the two of you hash this out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Death Himself posted:

By the time we really fully understood what we were doing to the planet and how far we already screwed up it was to the point where we needed to slash 80% of our global industry in order to start dealing with it.

That is just completely unpalatable to any government. When you add in the fact that so many politicians of every major country are in the pockets of various corporations which run those global industries it isn't just untenable, it's totally off the table.

Instead they ignore it for now and we have some long term disaster plans to deal with the problem because we can't stop it.

It's not even that sinister....human nature being what it is, there is no way whatsoever that you would ever get global cooperation. Some government, somewhere, would hold out for the technological advantage. It's no less unrealistic to believe that every country would dial back it's technological advantages during a time of peace than it is to believe that the same country would do so during a time of, say, global war. It's a global version of the monkey trap...and, at the end of the day, we're still monkeys.

I cant even imagine what the actual "WAKE THE gently caress UP" event would be that would finally clear the air on this, but it wouldn't be soon enough to change. I hope I'm wrong and steeped in ignorance, but I fear that we've passed the tipping point.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

The biggest barrier to space/Moon colonization is the lack of gravity and the effect on the human body, specifically calcium loss. Humans simply cannot survive in a low-gravity environment for very long and still return to a gravity environment.

If and when we ever develop an artificial gravity (or stick to centrifugal force to recreate 1G), we can revisit long-term space exploration.

As it stands now, we can't even send a return manned mission to Mars.

• Locked thread