Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
Aren't we just influencing evolution by changing the environment in ways that will select for different traits?

Sure, the world won't be nearly as nice (or habitable) for humans, but I bet there are all kinds of other things that will do really well in a warmer world.

I don't see a problem here, but I also have never been sold on the benefits or merits of human civilization.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

rscott posted:

Billions of people dying aside, the problem is anthropogenic warming is causing climate shifts much much faster than would otherwise be indicated. Species don't evolve over the course of a hundred years. In the end this leads to reduced biodiversity.

Mass extinctions have happened before and will probably happen again even if we could undo the industrial revolution.

I'm trying hard, I just can't get excited about this issue. The people that care about it are not the same people that are profiting off the current status quo, hence it seems very unlikely that anything major will be done about this. So, yes, that means a lot of people will die. Aren't we better off enjoying the time we have, than fretting about the inherently human tendency to consume everything in sight? Everyone dies, afterall.

• Locked thread