Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

SGRaaize posted:

This thread is making me depressed, but it really sounds unbelievable that people are suggesting catastrophic scenarios in the next 20 years and literally no one is thinking about it, which does give me some doubt to these claims.
I'm not saying Climate Change doesn't exist, I'm just asking if its gonna really get apocalyptic-level

By the time we really fully understood what we were doing to the planet and how far we already screwed up it was to the point where we needed to slash 80% of our global industry in order to start dealing with it.

That is just completely unpalatable to any government. When you add in the fact that so many politicians of every major country are in the pockets of various corporations which run those global industries it isn't just untenable, it's totally off the table.

Instead they ignore it for now and we have some long term disaster plans to deal with the problem because we can't stop it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Strudel Man posted:

Loss of low-lying areas to the advance of the oceans seems like it would be pretty obvious and difficult to ignore.

We're already ignoring that. I guess because it's not happening in the US yet.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Strudel Man posted:

Where do you mean?

Bangladesh is being overtaken by the ocean thanks to rising sea levels caused by climate change. They are also dealing with salination of their soil turning places which were once fertile farming land into deadzones.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Strudel Man posted:

Are you sure this is something that's actually happened already? A few google searches are finding plenty of warnings about what a one-meter sea level rise could do to Bangladesh, but nothing really indicating that any meaningful amount of land has in fact been overtaken already.

They already lost some fishing communities on islands off the coast and on the coast itself. The higher water level during their normal flood season has caused salt water to reach places it never used to before, turning what were already thin areas of arable land even smaller or entirely useless.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Strudel Man posted:

Lost in the sense of "now it's ocean," or lost in the sense of "people moved away because of nasty weather?"

Basically, do you have a link that I could potentially pass along to someone else? Evidence of loss of once-habitable land would be a useful thing to have.

This is a decent article I was able to find quick:
http://www.irinnews.org/Report.aspx?ReportId=81079

Though it seems to focus on loss of land due to rising water levels and not the salination problem.

The problem with finding information about it is it's not a very popular story for whatever reason so it's not getting much press. I was talking about it with someone a few weeks back and they said National Geographic had a big article about it so maybe you can hunt down a copy of that, they usually have pretty pictures you can show off when talking about something like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

As seen in the hit videogame "Battlefield 2142".

• Locked thread