Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)
I am honestly glad I took those Boreal forest bushcraft survival lessons. All I need is my gear and I'm leaving this place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)
Out of morbid curiosity, I jumped on RealClimate to see what's what. Apparently, a new paper was published not long ago that shows new data on El Nino and volcanic eruptions. These variables were causing a net decrease in stats regarding surface temperature (I think), leading to the deniers claiming that global warming stopped in 1998. The adjusted variables show that global warming is not only continuing, it's accelerating, as 2010 was the strongest La Nina year on record.

Edit: actually, what really caught my eye was the comment section on New Scientist, where an army of trolls calling themselves "wombats" attacked the results with predictably bad smears.

Check it out.

Kafka Esq. fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Dec 7, 2011

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

I'm certain I saw something about a carbon absorption plastic that absorbed carbon in air and released it in water that was carbon negative throughout the manufacturing process and everything because of its potential.

Can't figure out what the guy's name was, though.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

Hey, I'm currently working on a write up for something similar, discussing new mechanisms for emissions reductions. I'd love to collaborate, though most of my stuff will be Canada-centric.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If there's no action by 2012, that's too late. What we do in the next two to three years will determine our future. This is the defining moment." - Dr. Rajendra Pachauri, IPCC 2007

At the end of roughly 36 pages of writing about climate change, governance schemes and global inaction, I'm about ready to learn how to subsistence farm and hunt. Maybe I'll make money selling survival gear to dumb yuppies.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

Sorensen is a great salesman, and in a lot of ways he's dead on. However, the impression I get from him and Flibe is the same as that great TED talk on the Pentagon's New Road Map by Barnes. Everyone seemed enamoured with a design for the military that would produce technically competent peacekeepers alongside a smaller but traditional unbeatable American army, until someone pointed out that it still suffers from some of the same terrible problems.

As far as I can tell, LFTR has no problems that a traditional nuke doesn't, and is missing a lot that they are. It's going to be exceptionally expensive to build, though, and that's the difficulty right now.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

karthun posted:

I don't want to derail (and I don't have PM) but what was the same terrible problems that exists with Barnett's The Pentagon's New Map? I'll just take a quick reply and let it drop.
The United States will still use it to gently caress up the world. :v: Seriously, I'm not a GiP kind of guy; I'm just comparing LFTR's success to the kind of cachet that Barnett got back when D&D was war-mongering.

Another problem with LFTR: Sorensen uses the picture of thorium's cross-section to sell this point in the Thorium Remix, but I'm pretty sure he's showing the FLiBe cross-section. The problem is the use of Lithium-7 some other isotope of lithium to increase the cross-section of thorium, something we don't have much of.

Kafka Esq. fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Mar 7, 2012

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

What I wish for is an unbiased assessment of how long it would take to replace fossil fuels with nuclear, with appropriate deregulation steps and standardized machines, and what the trade off would be in safety, if there is one.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

Viability of 7 billion people (or lets say 10 billion, the current estimate of when population will start declining again) is really up to what happens in the next 100 years. If aridity destroys agricultural heartlands, it's not viable. We have to define those parameters before we have this conversation.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

I'm trying to find an explanation of the confidences - will I have to go to each one to find it, or is there some general rule they use?

edit: http://www.ipcc.ch/pdf/supporting-material/uncertainty-guidance-note.pdf

Kafka Esq. fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Dec 15, 2012

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

Any information on how hot the world got overall?

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

Apparently, the guy is a wild self-promoter and has very little in the way of successful examples of this. I also want it to be true, though.

edit: if someone is really interested, you can compare the detractors with the peer-reviewed stuff in their portfolio.

Kafka Esq. fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Mar 23, 2013

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

Longanimitas posted:

I am completely convinced now that the CEO of XOM "doesn't see a viable pathway" to a 350ppm outcome. This rear end in a top hat has gone straight from denialism to "Welp, there's nothing anyone can do now! Certainly not us!" :downs:
The real last refuge of scoundrels.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

Maybe not. Also, why does that graph never show the whole season?

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

muike posted:

Beyond the CANDU reactors, what is Canada doing along the lines of alternative energy implementation and incentivization? How about the UK?
We actually have a pretty exciting solar program modeled on Germany's in Ontario, with feed-in tariffs doing most of the work - our ex-premiere even thumbed his nose at the WTO by trying to create an homegrown solar industry. As the 25th largest economy and heavily based on industry, it's kind of nice that we have a mass amount of hydro at Niagara paired with nuclear power at Bruce and Pickering. Gas, oil and coal together make up only 23% of the supply, and that is shrinking. We're probably bringing on two more nuclear plants from the newly privatized CANDU Ltd.

Elsewhere in Canada is a bit of a mess. Alberta is obviously loving us all with almost 90% of their electricity being created by fossil fuels and putting up new gas plants. However, the government is (unevenly) putting money into renewables across the country. There are innovation funds and so on. We are expected to go about 80% non-fossil fuel (60% renewable including hydro) by 2035. Most of the fossil fuels will be natural gas, as coal plants are closing.

It's not enough, mostly because of the tar sands being exploited. There's also a land-use change pattern in Canada that is not exactly our fault - the taiga is dying.

Kafka Esq. fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jul 3, 2013

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

Oh look, Arkane posted - the goalposts must be moving again. Figure 5 from the link below is pretty clear about what HADGEM3 is forecasting. I wish you would stop abusing models (which scientists are more than glad to talk about) in order to push a narrow point of view.

edit: oh you're right - I must have mixed up figure 1 and figure 5. Needless to say, you should read the whole thing, because Watt's Up With That? isn't a great source when they selectively edit graphs.

edit2: by the way, selectively editing graphs is model-abuse. In no way ever would I imply you got close enough to a model to abuse him or her.

Kafka Esq. fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jul 22, 2013

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

quote:

We're at 13 years presently (2001-2013) and using the Met's own simulations, we'll be at 18 years with a ~0 trend in 2018.
Using your Watt's Up graph, you mean. I see nothing that backs up your assertion in the report. In fact, as I posted before, they state: "The latest decadal forecast, issued in December 2012, is shown in Figure 1 as the set of blue lines, each representing an individual forecast from the 10-member ensemble. The results show that the Earth is expected to maintain the record warmth that has been observed over the last decade, and furthermore a substantial proportion of the forecasts show that new record global temperatures may be reached in the next 5 years."

Your graph, grabbed from a website known for massaging numbers, is not credible.

Kafka Esq. fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Jul 24, 2013

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

I don't know if he's read the thread long enough to know that putting "we don't know how much warming humans are causing" anywhere near the words climate science without a strong caveat that he's sure there's been a recognizable forcing on temperatures by anthropogenic carbon sources since the industrial revolution. I mean, the science is very confident about that, they might just not fully understand what has happened over the past decade in land temperatures.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

Nevvy Z posted:

It's almost like saying "I went to medschool but I don't think medicine actually works, so I'm going to pray for God to fix my concussion then go take a nap"
It's almost like metaphors should be banned forever.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

I guess maybe expect a lot of global south defaulting on debt in the hopes that controlling their own currency and policies will help to mitigate the damage. Clothes at the gap might become more expensive.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

Illuminti posted:

Yeah, calling me an idiot doesn't make you look like you feel superior. Your post didn't have much content as far as I could tell. As far as strawmen go, I've said I think the climate is warming and CO2 causes warming, but I'm not convinced of the strength of human added co2 on the climate, which I think is reasonable if the models seem to be generally getting things off and given the huge complexity of trying to model climate. And yes I know the argument will be it's to dangerous not to do anything, but I'm not suggesting doing nothing, just if the severity of cutting emmisions so quickly is a good idea.
Just so you're aware, a lot of denialists claim this is the basis for their FUD-spreading, but quietly believe it's a hoax and don't actually consider the science to be legitimate. You're actually not too far from a legit argument though, and in that way, you're kind of like Arkane. Climate sensitivity in land temperature is not being modelled accurately. But who the gently caress cares? Other indicators ARE getting worse and faster (sea ice, land ice, permafrost, hell, even the spread of pine beetles northeast into Alberta) Meanwhile, the velocity of decisions being made by humanity could badly worsen the situation.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

Did this thread ever discuss the validity of the ABC special Earth 2100? I think it kind of neatly fits into what we're talking about now.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

Somebody coined the annoying term "glocal" to describe that, and it's actually about as effective as you're saying. There are regional carbon trading programs that WORK, for instance.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

AceSnyp3r posted:

I've been lurking in this thread for the last few weeks now. As a geoscience student climate change stuff is really interesting to me, but I know enough to know that I don't know poo poo about it. Obviously things are looking pretty loving grim, but I'm curious as to if there's even a slight consensus as to how bad things are going to get. I seem to remember reading somewhere that we probably won't drive temperatures higher than they got in the Cretaceous, but I don't have a source on that anymore. Obviously we're going to be looking at a respectable mass extinction event, but we're not at risk of rendering the planet uninhabitable to surface plant and animal life even in the short term, are we?
What do you mean by short term?

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

This IS the mass extinction event, happening right now. Chances are that won't wipe all plants off the face of the earth though. I don't think models are really looking that far ahead.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

Can anyone make sense of this? I notice some problems on the graph, but I'm just wondering where it plays into the science as it stands. (I really want it to be true, if only so that the Montreal Protocol ends up saving the world).

edit: this is the paper: http://www.worldscientific.com/doi/abs/10.1142/S0217979213500732

edit2: bah never mind, apparently this claim is old as dirt. Wonder why it got published.

Kafka Esq. fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Aug 14, 2013

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

There are materials that suck carbon dioxide out of the air, and release it when wet. I saw this in a BBC documentary.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

This is a really depressing look at Greenland ice melt.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9euZ6q4bEKs

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

Finndo posted:

Has anyone ever tried to seriously and in a non-biased fashion grapple with the problem of very limited hard data regarding global temperatures? Every time I read a treatment of this issue (or non-issue, depending on who you read), I am struck by the huge leaps of logic that seem to underpin the arguments.

Insofar as I understand it, reliable temperature records go back only a century or so and those were only in a few civilized locations until even more recently. Measurement of the ice sheets is even more recent. People talk about using ice-coring and tree rings to get data from before recent times, but how accurate can those really be, especially when compared to a dataset of actual temperature readings from hundreds of spots around the world, every day of the year?

The planet has seen hundreds of millions of years worth of weather (billions if you include the early molten metal/cooling days), and we have hard data from about a hundred years of that incredibly long history. If the timeline of the planet's weather history is as long as a yardstick, then our records are, what, a half a piece of dust sitting on the end of that yardstick? Less, even?

Anyone who's tried to fire a rifle at a long distance target knows that a very minor deviation (loose scope, muzzle heat, buildup in the barrel) that had little impact at close range can lead to a full-on miss as you move to 300 yards and more. That's the issue I am concerned with here. Are people filling in the (apparently huge) gaps in their data with factual assumptions that, if even very slightly off, could drastically contaminate their projections?
Are you asking a question about how they get the data, or are you asking whether global warming is happening?

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

Illuminti posted:

Because adaption would be less traumatic than prevention? Especially if the estimates for the rate and amount of warming keep getting revised down
"What if we made a better world for nothing?"

edit: nobody mentioned catastrophic climate change except you, now you want to play the wounded martyr about hysterical screaming? Give me a loving break, you weasel.

Kafka Esq. fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Sep 25, 2013

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

Illuminti posted:

I suppose that would depend on your definition of better. Maybe the fantasy greenpeace simple life isn't for everybody.

And you're right, 90% of this thread isn't people talking about how they can barely get out of bed in the morning under the soul crushing weight of what they know is going to happen in the future. Tell me again how it's fine to tell me to gently caress off because "WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE, AND YOU ARE KILLING US ALLLLLLL BY NOT BEING CONVINCED THE END OF THE WORLD IS NIGH!!!
Yeah, that fantasy Greenpeace scenario where everyone is panicking because we can't build nuclear plants fast enough.

We're baking climate change into the system every moment that people like you grasp at every straw not to do anything. Let's adapt instead of drastically cut? What the gently caress is adapting if not turning around the fossil fuel system completely? Doing a little isn't enough if methane clathrates start melting, or if Greenland glaciers slide into the ocean, or a number of other feedback scenarios occur. A number of people in this thread are posting that there is a feeling of dread involved with confronting the monumental change that will have to happen in their lifetimes. You think they're wrong because you swallowed a denier line about "rates and amounts being revised down". Here's a key loving fact, they haven't revised anything down, you disingenuous twat.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

a lovely poster posted:

You are absolutely incorrect. I can tell you with great confidence that Kafka made that comment talking about the exact same thing as me. That's because I know Kafka has been following this thread and understands the science(not that it takes much to figure out there's a mass extinction going on). When I see the words "mass extinction", it doesn't set off alarm bells in my head because I know that it's the literal truth. This is more of you choosing to see his argument as something it's not. Nothing he said was wrong, you just made up another half to his post in your head and decided that he was saying something he never said.
First, I wouldn't speak to my understanding of the science. I studied history. Second, there is definitely a mass-extinction happening, but he's right in that I meant it was being accelerated by climate change. Species are going extinct through man-made means all the time.

I'll give you an example - not long ago, some scientists published that a bacteria living in the guts of pandas could possibly turn biofuel production on its head. Energy in cellulose usually goes locked up after digestion. The bacteria could be commercialized to retrieve the energy in wasted food. If pandas had gone extinct, we may never have made this discovery. If the conservation of their species hadn't been an agreed upon environmentalist goal, they would have gone extinct.

Every single species, every toad and butterfly, has the ability to provide natural innovations that we can take advantage of. Every single extinct species unexamined is an opportunity lost. And they've been going extinct at a rapidly accelerating rate due to humans. There has never been a more important time for us to truly grasp our impact on the environment, and the sneering attitude the "just asking questions" crowd has towards real conservation is just pathetic.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

I believe there is currently a shipping vessel sailing through the passage. Somebody felt the risk was good enough to base an entire company on.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

I don't think he's going to be very receptive to logical thinking if he assumes taxes are punitive. Assuming participating in society is punitive is pretty more definitional American Liberal thought.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

a lovely poster posted:

What's even the point of saying poo poo like this? This is a guy who disagrees with the theory of global warming but is willing to let James Hansen's plan be put in to action and all you can do is be a dick? gently caress man, we really do have no hope.
Since when do we dance on eggshells for people in D&D? Should we put trigger warnings on top? "Caution, may make you feel like the opinion you are passing off as fact is unwelcome!"

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

Illuminti posted:

But some key points from that piece with regards to AR5
Let me ask you a question, which you and other "lukewarmists" should be able to answer. Where do you think the temperature will be in 2100?

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

Nermal posted:

Considering the main message of this thread is that the environment is dependent on human activity, you might reflect that 87 years ago we didn't have transistors, integrated ciruits, jets, spaceflight, nuclear power or genetic engineering. So what value can any prediction of the climate nine decades into the future have?
Good point, I guess this thread is useless then. Smoke 'em if you got 'em!

edit: vv ohohoho!

Kafka Esq. fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Oct 7, 2013

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

Asking "what do you think the temperature will be in 2100?" is a trick I learned from a comments section somewhere. It requires a pretty quick answer. The follow up is equally revealing: "how do you come to that conclusion?"

There are only a few answers to the question, and if any of them don't rely on science, then the guy is being a conspiracy theorist. That's how it always ends. I'm not saying that legit scientists don't have their doubts about things - an equal amount express fears outside print that it's WORSE - but if the "lukewarmist" or "skeptic" don't immediately come back with "here's a model that shows all of the current climate forces that says we'll be within tolerances in 2100", why the hell are we listening?

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

Illuminti posted:

I don't know, but it seems that the catastrophic warming we have been told will happen/has already reached tipping point/is to late to do anything about will not occur in anything like the time frames predicted. want me to pull a number out of my arse? 1.5 degrees
Holy poo poo, wait, 1.5 degrees is in the IPCCs lowest range! You must be one of us! one of us

I'm glad to see that you pulled the lowest number published by the IPCC out of your rear end. Yes, it is considered 66% likely for surface temperatures to be at or over 1.5 degrees hotter by 2100. They also consider it 90% likely that it will be below 6 degrees. That means there is a one in ten chance of VERY CATASTROPHIC warming to happen. You're surely okay with betting on lukewarm, but are you really okay with betting on the latter? To be clear, the former is like betting on rock when paper and scissors mean really bad things happen to you if you're not prepared.

Betting on lukewarm is going to allow money-interests to pick up the phone and scare their Congressmen. They have lobbyists and astroturfing campaigns. They can go on cable news and obfuscate the issue to death. How are we supposed to separate that from your "lukewarm" support for actual science?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

They meant non-publishing meterologists and atmospheric scientists at 65 and 59 percent.

quote:

327 Climate science experts who publish mostly on climate change, and climate scientists
328 who publish mostly on other topics, were the two groups most likely to be convinced that
329 humans have contributed to global warming, with 93% of each group indicating their
330 concurrence. The two groups least likely to be convinced of this were the non-publishing
331 climate scientists and non-publishing meteorologists/atmospheric scientists, at 65% and 59%,
332 respectively. In the middle were the two groups of publishing meteorologists/atmospheric
333 scientists at 79% and 78%, respectively.
Although this is what I'd harp on if I were trying to be anti-AGW:

quote:

345 In terms of strength of the relationship between the independent and dependent variables,
346 perceived consensus was the strongest predictor of all three types of global warming views –
347 certainty, causation, and harm/benefit. Political ideology was the second strongest predictor of
348 view certainty and causation, and was equivalent to perceived consensus as predictor of
349 harm/benefit. Expertise and perceived conflict were both less strong predictors of global
350 warming views. Expertise was the second weakest predictor of global warming certainty, and the
351 weakest predictor of causation and harm/benefit. Perceived conflict was the weakest predictor of
352 global warming view certainty, and the second weakest predictor of causation and harm/benefit.

• Locked thread