Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
Are there any theorized deadlines that we could see that would make us say, "we done hosed up"?

I recall reading that by 2050 there will be no summer ice in the Arctic. Anything else? When will we start seeing poo poo hit the fan?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

err
Apr 11, 2005

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

This is stupid alarmism the way it's phrased, "we done hosed up" is a very narrow-minded view of things.

I was being sarcastic, but thanks for sperging out.

edit: My question was, when is there going to be a major event (in the West) that shifts global warming to the front of the political spectrum.

err
Apr 11, 2005

Dumb question: Why is "climate change" being adopted as the contemporary scientific term for what's going on? Wasn't it coined by a conservative during the Bush years to diminish the seriousness of the warming to the public?

err
Apr 11, 2005

I'm doing research on current and future domestic policy in response to climate change and I was wondering if there were significant successes or examples of governments using spending to redirect employment, develop, or update infrastructure in response to the future effects of climate change? I know policy is of more prudence in more isolated vulnerable regions in the pacific and there are active movements to increase government involvement, but brief Google searches haven't indicated any definitive response from other nations. Any help would be cool.

err
Apr 11, 2005

rivetz posted:

Thanks for the link. Signed up here in Portland. The site is frustratingly vague on the details of the protest, but to me it's one of these things where whatever they have planned, it's getting the public's concerns over climate change some/any kind of voice. Ultimately I just feel like there's nothing else I can do; sniping with skeptics on conservative message boards is just treading water.

Going to the Portland one as well, coal exporting is an increasing issue in Olympia where I live, so I imagine it will be pretty big with WA people.

err
Apr 11, 2005

Any other blogs suggested that cover climate change/environmental justice issues? The one on the previous page was pretty useful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

err
Apr 11, 2005

I asked in the D&D Book Thread and had little luck and I was wondering if anyone could recommend some essential books on climate change, climate science, or other related ecological topics.

• Locked thread