Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tei
Feb 19, 2011

If somehow a company remake APB, the fine line to walk is matchmaking.

APB is a terrible game in part because often match newbies with pros completely in a different league. The pro may have some evil fun crushing the newbie, but even then the pro is not getting a challenge, that is something many want. The newbie is not having any fun.
And the reason is because the pool of available players is tiny, the people in the map. So from a pool of maybe 800 people, creating a balanced match is almost impossible. Even games like Destiny have problems to do that with a pool that is a few orders of magnitude bigger (maybe the pool is 8000 or 80.000 people to choose from).

You don't want long load screens either. Many multiplayer games get away with long semi-long loading times, because they load different maps, so that load time sort of is excusable, people deal with it, but is a lot of downtime and make the experienced fragmented and less open-world-ish.

APB is completely open-world ish. You can literally sit in a place where other 4 players are defending a objetive against 4 other dudes, and watch the chaos erupt. Who has time to do that? but you can. Normally you don't pay much attention to that, but is like background noise that make the city feel like a warzone with bands of gans fighting with each another: Is great.

So what makes APB amazing also make it stupid bad. The technology to have enough players for good matchmaking + open world + lag free is not quite here. Most games don't try to have these 3, only 2. I am tempted to talk out of my rear end and say that the techology to make a good APB don't exist yet, but I don't know what is really possible at the time. Some game engines are truly amazing, maybe some company can pull this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

big nipples big life posted:

GTA Online is nothing like APB, I'd argue that if you left APB for it then APB wasn't what you wanted in the first place.

The best parts of APB to me were the crazy car chases when you're in a commandeered taxi with a briefcase, a random shirtless dude riding shotgun with a giant revolver and two enemies who (for whatever reasons) decided to pile into separate SUVs to try and shunt you off the road instead of working together and shooting your car up from a mobile weapons platform.

Then you play cat and mouse car chases with your slower car as the timer slowly ticks down while desperately dodging ongoing firefights. To me that was APB.

GTAOnline gave me really good random open world car battles before every player got themselves an armored karuna. Then it got shelved too.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I weep thinking that we will never live in a world where GTA Online has APB style missions. It would be so, so good.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

They just need to make a Shadowrun game in this style.
I'll keep saying it until it's real!

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

Inzombiac posted:

They just need to make a Shadowrun game in this style.
I'll keep saying it until it's real!

I like the cut of your gib. :awesomelon:

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
http://forums.gamersfirst.com/topic/404179-did-we-just-unoffically-got-ditched/

Tiggs posted:

We've not given up on PC by any means. We're trying to get the PS4 (Xbox) into a better place so we can focus on PC.
:lol:

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Any failure to make progress is simply us not believing hard enough. Everyone, throw up your hands and give them your strength!

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Shadownrun?

When I was a active player, I use to think "any moment now they are going to add a civil war district, with military vehicles and maybe walking tanks, like in anime".

I have no idea what is Shadowrun other than something about elves and hackers, but sounds cool.

There where talks of a "chaos" district. They actually delivered somewhat in that by releasing two smallish districts where people would be put into two groups randomly. And that thing was fun.

He, maybe the focus on the PS4 is not a bad thing. They will learn things about the engine, that they can apply later. Probably the two most important things that stop any effort to make the engine better is a) lack of experience b) lack of money. The PS4 thing can solve both problems. IF they manage to make somewhat a workable version of the game before some popular youtuber find them and make a video ridiculing them.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Tei posted:

Shadownrun?

When I was a active player, I use to think "any moment now they are going to add a civil war district, with military vehicles and maybe walking tanks, like in anime".

I have no idea what is Shadowrun other than something about elves and hackers, but sounds cool.

There where talks of a "chaos" district. They actually delivered somewhat in that by releasing two smallish districts where people would be put into two groups randomly. And that thing was fun.

He, maybe the focus on the PS4 is not a bad thing. They will learn things about the engine, that they can apply later. Probably the two most important things that stop any effort to make the engine better is a) lack of experience b) lack of money. The PS4 thing can solve both problems. IF they manage to make somewhat a workable version of the game before some popular youtuber find them and make a video ridiculing them.

They probably learned the engine is poo poo and that it'll take massive amounts of work to fix it :v:

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Their schedule was to drop console versions (Xbo last year, PS4 now) on the old engines, 30 day softlaunch for PS4, and Then move onto working in the new engine. Which.. sense, make, dimension alternate?

And going by official words there is and is also not a dedicated separate team working on the console version. They might be just that strapped on staff who can do printf("hello world") and more.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

The console version is the new engine. Consoles get new engine first and then PC gets it. That was the agreement with Deep Silver, who actually seems to have disappeared since I don't see their name anywhere on the PS4 version.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

big nipples big life posted:

The console version is the new engine.
Well my mind is blown because other than the interface being a pile of poo poo I'm not noticing it. Still no additional patching, still running a uselessly high quality anti-aliasing, still capable of bugging out in the social district to run at a perfectly steady 60fps at the cost of rendering the player incapable of anything but movement :lol:

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

People made a way bigger deal out of the new engine than it is, they are going from a really old version of unreal 3 to just an old version of unreal 3. It will finally support multicore on servers if they don't manage to poo poo it up to the point that it doesn't though.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

DancingShade posted:

The best parts of APB to me were the crazy car chases when you're in a commandeered taxi with a briefcase, a random shirtless dude riding shotgun with a giant revolver and two enemies who (for whatever reasons) decided to pile into separate SUVs to try and shunt you off the road instead of working together and shooting your car up from a mobile weapons platform.

Then you play cat and mouse car chases with your slower car as the timer slowly ticks down while desperately dodging ongoing firefights. To me that was APB.

GTAOnline gave me really good random open world car battles before every player got themselves an armored karuna. Then it got shelved too.

This was a lot more fun before every car chase ended in car surfing OSMAW.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Liquid Communism posted:

This was a lot more fun before every car chase ended in car surfing OSMAW.

Was always VIP slower? I don't remember it, but I think originally VIPs where not slow has passenger.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

It wasn't, the item hold briefcase and VIP causing cars to slow was added sometime after G1 got the game (thankfully).

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

I like the cut of your gib. :awesomelon:

One of my favorite Shadowrun experiences was escaping from a compound that we just stole a macguffin from and we're being chased by three gunner jeeps.
I was a melee guy with no guns, our driver only had a basic sniper rifle and a pistol and then we had a troll shaman.
He wasn't specced for a lot of direct damage because the player was pretty creative. We are getting shredded until he decides to wait until we make a fairly sharp turn where the chasing cars would be in a line, cast Disintegrate on the front axel of the lead car and watch the fireball.

That's what I want in a video game.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

I want PUBG in a huge f'off city. PS4 version got patched today, loads are around 4-8 times faster depending on which load and where (hahahahaha) framerates are a good bit better but running unlocked and still eager to framedrop into Sega Rally on the Sega Saturn range (15fps) in the oscial district. Music studio stations still not active and action districts lag hard as hell, but the high framerate peaks are higher. Put a fork in it.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Same, but in my fantasy the city has full interiors.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
They're adding a PUBG event to APB, apparently:

http://apbreloaded.gamersfirst.com/2017/05/survivalofthefittest.html

quote:

Now that we are finally out of the bulk of the console work, in order to get the PC players a whole new experience with the team we have in the fastest time possible, we have focused on creating a whole new event for the summer(...)

Requires at least (10) people in the district. After this, the survival event starts at the end of a (5 minute) timer. During this count-down new players can join the district until the timer hits 0. If at any point (70 players) enter the district it will be considered “full” and the timer will drop to (30 seconds) for immediate match countdown and start.

Limitation: You can only enter survival districts at the start of the round. Once a certain amount of players is reached or the timer hits 0, the district will lock and no longer be available for entry. If you get killed, you will be able to instantly join a new survival district.

Game Goal and Design

Be the last player standing (ends at 1 player left alive and declared the winner). If you die you will be ranked in accordance with your “death number.” In the future we will create special awards for the best repeat survivors.

I'm sure this will work out fi- *immediately dies to hvr*

Here's your new, exciting news on the engine upgrade that will totally save the game, you guys

quote:

Engine Upgrade

Now that we’ve successfully launched a version of the new Engine on the console platforms, the majority of the general engine upgrade bugs relating to game-play and rendering are fixed. Right now a full regression is being done on the PC to confirm fixes. Platform specific optimizations are being evaluated and ported to PC - including multi-threaded rendering and GPU texture generation for customization which the PC version has never had before.

Once we are done with the first pass we expect to release a new engine version that can be tested by the community on a larger scale than we can achieve internally (especially with more versions of GFX cards and CPU varieties). With the feedback from that testing, we will fix the remaining issues and finalize the engine upgrade release. This all takes time and we appreciate the patience our community has shown while we work on the Engine Upgrade and bringing it all back to the PC.

Once again, no set date, so expect it sometime never!

Songbearer fucked around with this message at 03:51 on May 18, 2017

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Sounds interesting.

I am not much into that sort of gameplay, but is a type of gameplay that is wildly popular, and even the games that use it are rough and poorly programmed.

Maybe APB could enter Early Access and announce himself as "open world" "sandbox game". It will be like the final joke :D

Oglogoth
May 16, 2010

Daaaaarling~

Tei posted:

...even the games that use it are rough and poorly programmed.

uhhhhhhhhhhhh, nah.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

APB is just bringing common early-access gameplay to common early-access game quality

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Khablam posted:

APB is just bringing common early-access gameplay to common early-access game quality

:drat:

• Locked thread