Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Welcome to the home for all discussion regarding animated adaptations of funny books and Tiger and Bunny. Please note that this thread is pretty superhero oriented, so sorry if you’re looking for some hardcore Baby Blues discussion

Here is the old thread.

What’s currently on TV?

Beware the Batman Cartoon Network
It's really hard for a show to be really weird and really boring at the same time. A testament to the fact that CG animation has not evolved enough so that it can produce quality serialized television, the show wasted one of the two things it had going for it which was some great character design work.

The show does utilize some of the more obscure members of Batman's library such as Anarky, Professor Pyg, and Magpie.

DC Nation Cartoon Network
DC Nation is what the programming block of Young Justice and Green Lantern is called. Between those shows are a collection of DC related shorts in different animation styles. There are also interviews with DC creators and such. While there are apparently going to be some standalone shorts, there are also recurring ones.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (Again) Nicktoons
It's a reboot of the Turtles with a teenage April. It's getting some pretty good reviews so far. It definitely has a great mix of humor and some darker material. If you're a fan of the turtles, I doubt this will really disappoint.

Ultimate Spider-Man Disney XD
It has a good pedigree with Paul Dini and Bendis behind it. The show focuses on the element of Fury as a mentor to Peter from the Ultimate comics. There are also appearances from other Marvel heroes, teaming up with Spider-Man. It's also pretty comedic heavy with cut-aways and sight-gags.

Are there any good shows I missed?

Yep.

Avengers: Earth’s Mightiest Heroes Disney XD
As good as its theme song is embarrassingly awful, Avengers: Earth’s Mightiest is the Marvel equivalent to Justice League Unlimited in the way it throws around characters. Personally, I don’t love the animation and design, but the stories are rather fun.

It lasted for two seasons and can be found on Netflix.

Batman: The Brave and the Bold Cartoon Network
A great and weird creature, this show is easy to sell as just being a modern version of the camp of late 50s and early 60s Batman. That’s really not doing the show justice as it contains darker stuff like “Chill of the Night” (Probably one of my favorite Batman stories ever told in any medium). While it can be campy, I would describe it as earnest more than anything else. It’s a show that accepts Batman is great, can do anything, is the world’s greatest detective, has a spaceship, and is purely morally incorruptible.

Brave and the Bold is the greatest thing we have yet accomplished as a species.

Green Lantern: The Animated Series Cartoon Network
The show focused on the space opera aspect of the character, mostly dealing with Hal off of Earth. It also contained some modern Green Lantern foes like the Red Lanterns.

It was originally panned because it occasionally looks like an N64 game. Reception was decent, but it was cancelled after one season.

Spectacular Spider-Man Disney XD
A fun animated mishmash of Lee/Ditko comics, Ultimate Spider-Man, and the movies. The series has two seasons and is available on DVD. It’s definitely worth a watch. It’s amazingly well plotted with great characterization. You actually like Eddie Brock and totally understand why he hates Spider-Man/Peter. It’s really the only adaptation to nail MJ as a character. It also had a great tendency for Spider-Man to use clever science oriented methods of defeating the villains. Sadly, it ends on a pretty depressing cliffhanger.

What’s really depressing is that the show was rather popular. It just existed at the wrong time. It originally aired on Kid’s WB towards the end of the programming block’s life. So, it was left without a network after it’s first season. Disney XD waited a pretty long period of time to actually air it. Then Sony, the show’s production company, lost the animation rights to Disney.

Wolverine and the X-Men Nicktoons
This show also seemed to suffer the shift in changing of hands regarding the rights to Marvel properties. It’s essentially the spiritual successor to the 90s series. It’s a bit more focused and high concept in its plot. It starts with the apparent death of Jean and the Professor. The X-Men disband, things get worse for mutants, and they eventually group back together to help make things right.

I’m not a huge fan of the show, but a lot of people really dug it. It’s considered in the same continuity as Avengers: Earth’s Mightiest Heroes. So, there is also that.

Young Justice Cartoon Network
Loosely inspired by the defunct comic series, Young Justice revolved around Robin (Dick), Superboy (Conner), Artemis Crock, Kid Flash (Wally), a new Aqualad, and Miss Martian. They acted as the stealthy arm of the Justice League. While the stories focused on the young heroes, the older League members play a large role in the series.

The show had a mixed reaction from fans. The animation and characters designs were highly praised, but the writing was found a bit lacking. The characters often seem a bit shallow despite the amount of angsty drama that revolves around them. I personally like the show.

Season 2 was titled Young Justice Invasion. While I won't put too many spoilers in here, there is a jump in time from the first season to the second with some shake-ups in terms of team members.

Are there any awful shows I missed?
Yep.

What is there to look forward to?

Hulk and the Agents of S.M.A.S.H Disney XD
Slated for 2013, and possessing the best title ever, the series has Hulk teaming up with Red Hulk, A-Bomb, She-Hulk, and Skaar. Paul Dini will be involved. He actually worked on the under-appreciated 80s Hulk cartoon. It will take place in the same continuity as Ultimate Spider-Man.

Some Stupid Other Avengers Cartoon Disney XD or Cartoon Network
This Avengers series will be replacing Earth's Mightiest heroes. It will share the same Loebverse (UGH) as Hulk and Ultimate Spider-Man.

gently caress television. What can I just get on Netflix?
For the last five years DC/Warner Bros. Animation and Marvel have released direct-to-DVD films that sit in their own individual continuities. Their efforts have been mixed…

Their original respective films, Ultimate Avengers and Superman: Brainiac Attacks, were horrible The former was a lame washed down version the Ultimates, missing what made the comic unique. The latter was superficially an extension of Superman: The Animated Series, but lacking in continuity. Over the years, things have somewhat improved. Here is the list of Marvel films…

Ultimate Avengers
Ultimate Avengers 2
The Invincible Iron Man
Doctor Strange: The Sorcerer Supreme
Next Avengers: Heroes of Tomorrow
Hulk Vs (A double feature with a film where Hulk fights Wolverine, and one where he fights Thor)
Planet Hulk
Thor: Tales of Asgard

The first five are pretty boring, and missteps in adapting the characters. Hulk Vs is actually pretty good. The Wolverine segment in particular features a great adaptation of Deadpool.

I have not seen Planet Hulk or Thor: Tales of Asgard. Reviews have been rather solid for both.

Here is the list of DC films…

Superman: Brainiac Attacks
Superman: Doomsday
Justice League: The New Frontier
Batman: Gotham Knight
Wonder Woman
Green Lantern: First Flight
Superman/Batman: Public Enemies
Justice League: Crisis of Two Earths
Batman: Under the Red Hood
Superman/Batman: Apocalypse
All-Star Superman
Green Lantern: Emerald Knights
Batman: Year One

Justice League: Doom
Superman vs. the Elite
The Dark Knight Returns Part One and Part Two
Superman Unbound
Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox

Not only is DC’s list longer, but it’s much stronger in quality. Superman: Doomsday is… weird. New Frontier is a decent, but lacking adaptation of the comic. The main issue is that the book’s most stark and defining moments tended to not really tie into the core story. So, they’re cut for the film. Gotham Knight and Emerald Knights are a collection of shorts and flux in quality. Emerald is a little more consistent in both quality and style.

Wonder Woman and First Flight are decent origin stories for their respective characters. The latter really would have made a much better film than the live action Green Lantern movie. It’s basically Training Day with Hal and Sinestro taking the respective rookie/corrupt cop roles. Crisis of Two Earths is decent. Red Hood is very good. Public Enemies and Apocalypse suck, but have good action. Like New Frontier, All-Star is fine, but it’s a direct-to-video adaptation of an amazing piece of art. Year One suffers from the same issue, but has the advantage of having the inspired casting choice of Bryan Cranston as Gordon. Doom is based on the one aspect of "Tower of Babel" that everyone remembers. It's not doing so well in terms of reaction. It's a shame since it's the last thing Dwayne McDuffie worked on.

Their two-part The Dark Knight Returns adaptation was highly praised while their more recent entries have had a mixed reaction.

They are currently planning adaptations for the first arc of Geoff Johns's Justice League reboot, a "Batman and Son" adaptation, and a film that takes place in the universe of the Arkham games.

Many of the films have also included short films in the DC Showcase series. With the exception of the recent Catwoman short found with Year One, you can view all the shorts and a new one on the Superman/Shazam: The Return of Black Adam DVD. The shorts have been received rather well.

The Big two haven’t been the only ones to get into the Direct-to-Video market. Two Hellboy animated films were created, Sword of Storms and Blood and Iron. 4Kids also produced Turtles Forever, a series finale for both the original and second Turtles series where both incarnations team up to save reality. It’s pretty great, but it’s sad that it lacks the voice cast of the original series.

How about a movie released in actual theaters?
Feature-length animated comic movies are a rarity. It’s odd considering how animation really is the closest film translation of comics as they often even share the same visual shorthand. The only notable superhero film is Batman: Mask of the Phantasm. It is pretty great, only second to The Dark Knight in my opinion.

There have of course been adaptations of non-cape books. Some notable films are Little Nemo, the Fritz the Cat films, and Heavy Metal. It’s really weird that R. Crumb saw his work adapted to the silver screen before Stan Lee.

Persepolis is a fantastic recent animated adaptation of the great memoirs. Unfortunately, Chicken and Plums is being releases as a live-action film. I’m sure it will be great, but I really love the style of Persepolis. I want more animated films like it.

Steven Spielberg also threw down with The Adventures of Tintin. It replaces the occasional racism with realistic skin textures, and is getting some pretty solid reviews. While it is motion capture, it exaggerates the facial expressions of the character so that they resemble the original Hergé designs and don’t fall too deeply into the uncanny valley.

David Fincher also really wants to make a Goon movie, and he has Blur studios behind him. They even made a little proof-of-concept short and trailer. There is no release date, so who knows.

All this new stuff is good, but can we talk about old cartoons?
Like the Fleischer Superman and Popeye cartoons? Sure!

I mean the DC Animated Universe

Of course! The DC Animated Universe is an incredibly unique beast. It’s very rare to have multiple TV series and films that all share one universe. Many of us watched the first episode of Batman: The Animated Series when we were preschoolers, and watched the final episode of Justice League Unlimited in our college dorms. It’s heavily influenced the source material it drew from and animation in general. The series consists of the following projects

Batman: The Animated Series
Batman: Mask of the Phantasm
Batman: Sub-Zero
Superman: The Animated Series
The New Batman Adventures
Batman: Mystery of the Batwoman
Batman Beyond
Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker
The Zeta Project
Static Shock
Justice League
Justice League Unlimited

Literally all of them are great shows. Zeta Project, a spin-off of Beyond, is probably the worst of the bunch, but still decent. A lot of folks don’t care for Static Shock. While there are some embarrassing episodes, it’s a perfectly fine kids show.

Batman: The Animated Series also tends to cast a long shadow over the series. Indeed, the show was fantastic and has some amazing things. It was also incredibly inconsistent, and there are a lot of lovely episodes in it. If you asked me to watch a random episode of Superman: The Animated Series or Batman, I’d go with the former because it was much more consistently good.

Another mistake that people tend to make when discussing the Universe is that it was a one or two man operation with Bruce Timm handling design and Paul Dini handling the story. Both men are incredibly overcredited, although Timm is much closer to being the architect of the series. If, for example, you want the man that was responsible for Justice League Unlimited, that was Dwayne McDuffie.

Long story short, if you call it the Diniverse, I’ll get whiney.

Can we talk about the 90s Marvel Universe?

I guess.

If I left anything out… tell me.

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jul 29, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

You forgot about the Batman/Superman crossover two-parter/mini-movie/whatever it was, where the DCAU officially became a U.

Sometimes I like to think about how hard it had to suck for Marvel's cartoon guys to suddenly have to compete with the Batman cartoon after they'd progressed their superhero cartoons from Spider-man and his Amazing friends levels to the 90s X-men cartoon. It had to have been something like finishing your little bucket sand castle at the beach and looking over to see some other kid had reproduced the Sistine Chapel. Including interiors.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Dec 15, 2011

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

To be fair WB cartoons were kind-of a juggernaut back in the 90s relative to any other cartoon studio I can think of. I know they had the Spielberg brand and likely some of the funding/creative counsel, and this was back around Jurassic Park/Schindler's List when Spielberg was on a serious commercial and arguably creative peak. They were the only major cartoons I've ever known to get serious airplay alongside "adult" shows-- namely Tiny Toons and B:TAS.

krut
Jun 5, 2005

ask me about oranges
Great OP! Where did you hear about Superman Versus the Elite and Dark Knight Returns?

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
I actually quite like the opening theme of Avengers: Earth’s Mightiest Heroes, it's kinda catchy. :blush:

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

You forgot about the Batman/Superman crossover two-parter/mini-movie/whatever it was, where the DCAU officially became a U.
Nope! While it was packaged as a film, it's technically a three part episode of Superman: The Animated Series unlike Phantasm, Sub-Zero, and RotJ which were produced and distributed as films.

krut posted:

Great OP! Where did you hear about Superman Versus the Elite and Dark Knight Returns?
Both were announced at Comic Con.

V gently caress, you're right. Fixed. V

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Dec 15, 2011

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
You did miss out Mystery of the Batwoman though didn't you? Unless I am blind and missed it.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
I love phantom 2040 and came here to discuss phantom 2040 but no one is talking about phantom 2040.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Fatkraken posted:

I love phantom 2040 and came here to discuss phantom 2040 but no one is talking about phantom 2040.

We're only allowed to mention it three times a year - now you've gone and used those all up!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I watched Batman Year One the other day and while I thought it was mostly okay, that Batman/Bruce Wayne voice... sheesh. Just terrible.

As for the Green Lantern series, I went into it not expecting it to be any good at all but came away pleasantly surprised. From the pilot/movie it appears that at the very least the entire first season is going to take place away from Earth and Oa on the edge of the universe as their ship's engine is broken. The animation looks much better in motion than in stills and it was actually fairly well written with an amusing bit where Kilowog makes fun of the fact that Hal wears a mask in deep space.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Year One is actually the textual evidence of Bale's guttural, inhuman Batman voice. There is a part of Year One where he mentions actually growling like an animal. So, it's funny that they went the opposite direction with such a clinical, and dry voice. I did think it was effective for the dinner scene.

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Dec 27, 2011

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Timeless Appeal posted:

Year One is actually the textual evidence of Bale's guttural, inhuman Batman voice. There is a part of Year One where he mentions actually growling like an animal. So, it's funny that they went the opposite direction with such clinical, and dry voice. I did think it was effective for the dinner scene.

Yeah that voice has pretty much been canon for a while now, which makes me wonder why you still find the odd guy on the internet who thinks Batman should sound like a clear-voiced British guy trying to disguise his accent. I think they even gave him that voice in that one cartoon that did a Dark Knight Returns homage.

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Pitchfork was wrong. (f)lowers of Algerbong is crap.
I am more excited for Amethyst Princess of Gem World shorts than any straight man should be.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

Yeah that voice has pretty much been canon for a while now, which makes me wonder why you still find the odd guy on the internet who thinks Batman should sound like a clear-voiced British guy trying to disguise his accent. I think they even gave him that voice in that one cartoon that did a Dark Knight Returns homage.

That wasn't an homage, it was a straight up adaptation of the most famous scene from the book, and Batman was Michael loving Ironside, and I will hunt down Bruce Timm and Andrea Romano to demand explanations if he's not doing it in the full movie version.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Fatkraken posted:

Someone please make an effortpost about Phantom 2040 because it is actually pretty good (it is Aeon Flux Jnr)

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007
I saw Adventures of Tintin last week! An awesome time, a fun Indiana Jonesesque movie. Everyone should see it.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
How is Tintin's voice in it? As someone who grew up on the Adventures of Tintin show that Nick used to air, hearing that child voice they gave him in the commercials was jarring, and not in a good way either.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

Cliff Racer posted:

How is Tintin's voice in it? As someone who grew up on the Adventures of Tintin show that Nick used to air, hearing that child voice they gave him in the commercials was jarring, and not in a good way either.

Its fine. I grew up on french Tintin but Jamie Bell's work great for the character.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Someone please make an effortpost about Phantom 2040 because it is actually pretty good (it is Aeon Flux Jnr)
It's true. The premise, the cheap opening with some bad early CG animation, and the fact that it aired at a weird time for me made it seem disposable. It's really pretty fun, and at least worth it for the Peter Chung designs if you were into Aeon Flux.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Yannick_B posted:

I saw Adventures of Tintin last week! An awesome time, a fun Indiana Jonesesque movie. Everyone should see it.

Seconding this. The 3D was well done as well.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I just caught the Music Meister episode of Batman: Brave and the Bold. That was so much fun. A whole episode done as a musical, and done well. That final gadget he uses to save the day was brilliant, too.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Timeless Appeal posted:

It's true. The premise, the cheap opening with some bad early CG animation, and the fact that it aired at a weird time for me made it seem disposable. It's really pretty fun, and at least worth it for the Peter Chung designs if you were into Aeon Flux.

I love me some Peter Chung. I even loved Reign, crazy yoda, thongs and everything.
I should spend this weekend watching Phantom 2040.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

duz posted:

I love me some Peter Chung. I even loved Reign, crazy yoda, thongs and everything.
I should spend this weekend watching Phantom 2040.

I thought Reign was pretty interesting but really suffered in the English version when partway through the series they switched dubs and lost a bunch of voice actors. It was especially bad because they no longer had John Rafter Lee (Trevor Goodchild on Aeon Flux) as Aristotle and he has such an awesome voice.

Also, its been a while since I played it so this might just be nostalgia but I remember the Phantom 2040 SNES game was pretty cool. It was a side scrolling Metroid-esque game with a branching story that changed by where you went and in what order.

Edit: For actual comic book animation chat, I haven't really been thrilled with what I've seen for either Marvel or DC's DTV offerings. My biggest problem with DC's is their tendency to stunt cast some minor A or B list actor with no real regards to whether they are a good fit for the character.

muscles like this! fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Dec 21, 2011

Rueish
Feb 27, 2009

Gone

but not forgotten.
I've been going through Batman: The Brave and the Bold and I loving love it. I was kind of just ambivalent on it before, catching random episodes here and there, but gently caress is this show good. While there's a few episodes here and there I don't care for so far, it's overall a really fun series. I'm almost done with season 2 and I really have to say that "Chill of the Night" was as good as I had heard. I really liked how it was a huge homage to B:TAS wrapped around a well-written story.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
You forgot to mention in the OP that Spectacular Spider-Man's theme song is possibly the catchiest earworm designed by man. Seriously, I dare you to watch that video only once.

Also, what's the verdict on the X-Manime? I heard that of the other Marvel anime projects, apparently Wolverine was passable and Iron Man was a disaster. Apparently the voice work is meh, but is it worth checking out?

Argon_Sloth
Dec 23, 2006

I PLAYED BATTLETOADS AND ALL I GOT WAS A RASH IN MY ASS

TwoPair posted:

You forgot to mention in the OP that Spectacular Spider-Man's theme song is possibly the catchiest earworm designed by man. Seriously, I dare you to watch that video only once.

Also, what's the verdict on the X-Manime? I heard that of the other Marvel anime projects, apparently Wolverine was passable and Iron Man was a disaster. Apparently the voice work is meh, but is it worth checking out?

There was an episode in the second season, where one of villains is humming the theme song.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

TwoPair posted:

You forgot to mention in the OP that Spectacular Spider-Man's theme song is possibly the catchiest earworm designed by man. Seriously, I dare you to watch that video only
One of the things I miss about the show. And season 2's not on dvd either (neither is Transformers Animated season 3...or the rest of Gargoyles for that matter.)

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Perigryn posted:

One of the things I miss about the show. And season 2's not on dvd either (neither is Transformers Animated season 3...or the rest of Gargoyles for that matter.)

Season 2's on DVD, just not in one complete package. It's spread out among 4.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

TwoPair posted:

It was anime as gently caress, they don't fight any real X-villains, and it doesn't make any sense and drags on.

So no.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

So it looks like Avengers second season is Delayed to April 1st where it will premiere alongside Ultimate Spider-Man in a Marvel programming block

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/BatFreak/news/?a=52503

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Ugh, are you kidding me? April? I thought it was supposed to come back some time in February... God, Disney/Marvel, why? Sure, ripping off DC Nation and making your own little interstitials/shorts is a decent idea and I'm cool with that, but perpetual delays are not a good thing to copy from DC! You'd think they might take advantage of the fact that Young Justice is scheduled by insane people and put the show out with zero superhero related competition, but nope, better make sure that any kids who liked it forget it existed entirely before season 2 comes out.

I get wanting to launch in sync with USM and closer to the Avengers movie, but :cmon:. I'm not a TV or marketing executive, but this just seems... dumb.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

TwoPair posted:

You honestly would be better off watching Tiger and Bunny instead for a different take on Western Comics
http://www.hulu.com/search?query=Tiger+%26+Bunny&st=1&fs=

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Oh I've seen it. Can't wait for season 2.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
War Rocket Ajax has a podcast up right now with Ben Jones, director of Batman: Brave and the Bold. He shared a failed potential episode idea:

Ben Jones via War Rocket Ajax posted:

Another one, Michael Jelenic, the story editor and head writer, he wanted to do an Animal Man story. Like, a specific one from the comic books and adapt it for the show, and he couldn't talk James [Tucker] into doing it so he was trying to get me to sort of back him up and say "that's a cool story, we should do that." But it was one where I couldn't figure out how we could do the ending on TV, so I sort of demured and said "I don't know if that's the one to do." And now I'm really regretting it.

I guess I won't get into any trouble for saying it, but it was... issue 5, maybe? The one with the coyote. So obviously it would've been great to animate that, but there were a lot of things, like the coyote getting shot by a silver bullet that was melted down from the necklace of a guy whose partner died of AIDS. Like, that detail, maybe we couldn't have gotten into the show.

It probably would've worked without it, but that story kind of has to end with the coyote dying in a Jesus-y pose, which is trouble for Standards and Practices. And for our show, I didn't know how to wedge Batman in there.

I've never wanted anything to exist more than this.

Yancy_Street
Nov 26, 2007

drunk octopus
wants to fight you
Just wanted to drop in and comment on that Superman/Shazam DC collection. I happened to catch it on Netflix a little while back and was utterly blown away by the quality on the Spectre short. Seriously, I would watch the Hell out out of an HBO series done in that almost Grindhouse style they used for that (and I was pretty much burnt out on the whole motif way before Machete). The Jonah Hex short wasn't bad either, at that.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

OK Octopus posted:

Just wanted to drop in and comment on that Superman/Shazam DC collection. I happened to catch it on Netflix a little while back and was utterly blown away by the quality on the Spectre short. Seriously, I would watch the Hell out out of an HBO series done in that almost Grindhouse style they used for that (and I was pretty much burnt out on the whole motif way before Machete). The Jonah Hex short wasn't bad either, at that.

Yes, I absolutely loved that Spectre short too. I wasn't expecting a gritty, grimy '70s style at all, but it worked perfectly. A regular series with nasty little revenge stories would be most welcome.

I also enjoyed Jonah Hex, and Green Arrow was fun, if a bit by-the-numbers. Didn't care for the main Superman/Shazam story, though -- too violent for what should be such a light-hearted, kid-friendly character as Captain Marvel. But then again, I don't think the Marvel Family fit in the DCU at all.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Timeless Appeal posted:

War Rocket Ajax has a podcast up right now with Ben Jones, director of Batman: Brave and the Bold. He shared a failed potential episode idea:

I've never wanted anything to exist more than this.

I dunno. It seems like the Coyote came from a cartoon world and was cast down to the comic book world. Going cartoon to cartoon doesn't have that punch.

They could have done a fun one with the Arkham and Psycho Pirate stuff from near the end of the run.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I find that one of the strengths of Brave and the Bold is its ability to make things very much its own. As stated, there are tons of things you have to change to make the story all-ages. It would be a different take on the story, sure, but I would have loved to see what they did with it.

Roleplaying Larry
Dec 5, 2008
I absolutely adore the Goon and I've been waiting for this movie for years. It's never going to happen, is it :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

You know what those "DC Nation" screenshots remind me of?

Bizarro Comics. Anyone remember that?

edit: ...what the heck is up with the Black Panther cartoon?

Speedball fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Jan 19, 2012

• Locked thread