Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Lurdiak posted:

I know he has some fans but I've honestly never read an Azzarello story I thought was particularly good.

100 Bullets, but in the way that every character is a horrible monster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Probably gonna give up on DC's animated movies.

I really hated Justice League vs Teen Titans, the least of which for making a story that should be about Raven (my personal favorite superhero), into Damian learning the same lesson he learned in the last three movies.

This whole thing with Killing Joke adding in the sex scene for controversy really doesn't give me much faith in the next batch of movies, and with the exception of Gods and Monsters, I haven't enjoyed any of the recent movies since Flashpoint Paradox.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Marvel revamping Avengers Assemble with Secret Wars with a new lineup: The Vision, Captain Marvel, Ms Marvel, Black Panther, Wasp, Ant-Man and the Jane Foster version of Thor

http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/sdcc-marvel-announces-animated-secret-wars-skottie-young-style-rocket-groot

This can't possibly be worse than the current show and the roster looks good. No cap, falcon, or iron man though?

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Apparently Azzarello flipped out at someone at Comic-Con for calling him out on the addition being silly and called a fan a pussy.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

i know that feel batgirl

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

This guy sucks.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Where in a bunch of old dudes try to justify their making a young woman sleep with her mentor by saying she's in control in a story where she is shot, paralyzed and sexually assaulted by her mentor's arch-nemesis just to prove a point.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Portrait of a woman in control.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Bruce Timm posted:

"There's clearly an unstated attraction between the two of the characters from the very beginning and I think it's there in the comics. If you go back and look at the Adam West show, it's there in the Adam West show," said Timm. "It's subtle, but to me it's always been there."

In other words, Steve/Bucky should've also be canon apparently.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Or Batman and Robin.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

SonicRulez posted:

No, wait, I'm still pretty pissed off. This math still doesn't check out. Batman cannot be 8 years older than Batgirl. He adopts Dick when Dick is single digit age, doesn't he? Or did the New 52 age him up to like 13? I genuinely don't remember despite having Nightwing #0 and all that. Bruce can't be 16 when he adopts Dick. And Barbara can't be that much older than Dick, it doesn't make sense. The gap HAS to be at least a decade and even that's wrong. It has to be more like 15. Who keeps trying to make Bruce/Babs a thing? Is it just Dini and Timm? It's like someone trying to put Wolverine with Kitty or Jubilee. If you propose that as an idea for a Wolverine story, you should be fired. Out of a cannon. Into space.

In the N52, Bruce returns to Gotham after five years abroad culminating in Zero Year (sometime during which - probably early on - Dick Grayson's parents die). At his absolute youngest age he would be 13 or so, but in the N52 he's very clearly sixteen-ish (which, after the five year timeskip up to current time after Zero Year, would again put him at about the same age as Barbara). So yes, a 25 to 26-year-old Bruce Wayne adopts a sixteen-to-seventeen-year-old Dick Grayson, and that's silly and insane, but that's roughly the new canon timeline.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Rebirth unfucked the N52 timeline by stating there are ten missing years and filling them in, didn't it?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

This sounds like outright shipping goggles to me., which I'm admittedly guilty of doing as well.

"These two had a conversation together, BRUCE X BARBARA MOMENT!!!"

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Roth posted:

This sounds like outright shipping goggles to me., which I'm admittedly guilty of doing as well.

"These two had a conversation together, BRUCE X BARBARA MOMENT!!!"

They're being sarcastic so yeah it would probably sound like that

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

There were ten "stolen" years, which isn't the same as "missing" years. The timeline for Batman, specifically, and this is pretty much the only hard-and-fast rule we have, is that he was 20 when he abruptly left Gotham to get training, came back at 25 when everyone presumed him dead, Zero Year happened, and then all of Batman's nearly eighty year history (outside of Year One since that directly contradicts Zero Year, and various stories that directly invalidate new canon) happened in the five year timeframe between Zero Year and when the N52 begins. So that means he, yes, had three Robins in five years (one of whom was brutally murdered), met, was seduced by, and had sex with Talia al Ghul who them spermjacked or whatever the gently caress she did to grow Damian in jar, which then the ENTIRETY OF MORRISON'S RUN HAPPENED WITHIN that timeframe, both Kathy and Kate Kane were Batwoman at some point in time, and Barbara Gordon became Batgirl, fell in love with Dick, they had the most will-they-won't-they relationship ever, TKJ happened, she was Oracle for two years, then went away (on Christmas, even) to some illegal not medically approved facility in Africa to get cybernetic and neural enhacements placed within her to gain her mobility back, so that at the very beginning of the N52 she's just starting to put the cowl back on. Cassandra Cain and Stephanie Brown never existed.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

TheKingofSprings posted:

They're being sarcastic so yeah it would probably sound like that

I guess that just didn't come out through text.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Toxxupation posted:

There were ten "stolen" years, which isn't the same as "missing" years. The timeline for Batman, specifically, and this is pretty much the only hard-and-fast rule we have, is that he was 20 when he abruptly left Gotham to get training, came back at 25 when everyone presumed him dead, Zero Year happened, and then all of Batman's nearly eighty year history (outside of Year One since that directly contradicts Zero Year, and various stories that directly invalidate new canon) happened in the five year timeframe between Zero Year and when the N52 begins. So that means he, yes, had three Robins in five years (one of whom was brutally murdered), met, was seduced by, and had sex with Talia al Ghul who them spermjacked or whatever the gently caress she did to grow Damian in jar, which then the ENTIRETY OF MORRISON'S RUN HAPPENED WITHIN that timeframe, both Kathy and Kate Kane were Batwoman at some point in time, and Barbara Gordon became Batgirl, fell in love with Dick, they had the most will-they-won't-they relationship ever, TKJ happened, she was Oracle for two years, then went away (on Christmas, even) to some illegal not medically approved facility in Africa to get cybernetic and neural enhacements placed within her to gain her mobility back, so that at the very beginning of the N52 she's just starting to put the cowl back on. Cassandra Cain and Stephanie Brown never existed.

Comics, ladies and gentlemen.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Karnith posted:

The Laffco Toy Factory at bottom-right is from the animated series, and second from the left on the top row is from an ad the Joker does in Batman '89 (minus approximately 100% Jack Nicholson).

And second from the right is the Ledger Joker from TDK.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

TheScott2K posted:

Comics, ladies and gentlemen. The Aristocrats!

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Roth posted:

I guess that just didn't come out through text.

They aren't being sarcastic Timm has been a shipper of them since one of the Batman animated movies, I don't remember which.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Awesome, so I won't be giving that movie single cent or even a view on Youtube once it gets pirated. gently caress right off Azzarello, gently caress right off Bruce Timm, and gently caress right off DC Animated movies. Into the bin with all of you.

Toxxupation posted:

In the N52, Bruce returns to Gotham after five years abroad culminating in Zero Year (sometime during which - probably early on - Dick Grayson's parents die). At his absolute youngest age he would be 13 or so, but in the N52 he's very clearly sixteen-ish (which, after the five year timeskip up to current time after Zero Year, would again put him at about the same age as Barbara). So yes, a 25 to 26-year-old Bruce Wayne adopts a sixteen-to-seventeen-year-old Dick Grayson, and that's silly and insane, but that's roughly the new canon timeline.

This is so stupid that I almost got mad at you just for explaining it to me. Dick got adopted at 17? What's the point in that?!

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

In other news

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiJwpT9OvRQ

Lego Batman Movie trailer.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Roth posted:

In other news

Ah... Will Arnett... takes the pain away.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Toxxupation posted:

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Roth posted:

In other news

Now that's a better way to dwell into Batman's issues

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

quote:

for me it's how much of an rear end in a top hat move it is to Batman's surrogate son that's the issue, not the age difference.
God almighty this quote.

"Hey I don't mind the creepy age difference, the power imbalance of a mentor loving someone in his care, or the way the actions instantly become something Batman rejects in the film... but why Bats gotta do his Batbro dirty like that"?

Thank god for Lego Batman.

DC Animated features have been on quite the downturn for a while now. It's like they stopped caring after the Superman film where Spike the Vampire had a BDSM superbot to make him feel alive again.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

FilthyImp posted:

DC Animated features have been on quite the downturn for a while now. It's like they stopped caring after the Superman film where Spike the Vampire had a BDSM superbot to make him feel alive again.
That was literally their first movie.

Honestly, after ten years, it's been mostly a waste with some good stuff here and there. And even the good stuff is mostly marred by smoothing over the art style. The fact that The Dark Knight Returns looks like the rest of their catalogue and not a higher budget version of that TNBA episode is a crime.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzJJEdoj8no

This animation looks pretty cool.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Are you all in high school or something? She's like 25 and he's 10-15 years older than that. And he's rich as hell. That's completely normal.

Everything else is hosed up, but the age difference is nothing.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

Are you all in high school or something? She's like 25 and he's 10-15 years older than that. And he's rich as hell. That's completely normal.

Everything else is hosed up, but the age difference is nothing.

Because no-one would judge a 40+ year-old woman loving a man half her age, right?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You appear to have taken a time machine from the 90s. I have something I have to tell you about your parents and a baby you're going to meet soon, Nathan.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Just finished watching The Killing Joke and, while it's not absolutely god-awful (though the sex scene is awkward as gently caress...Barbara begging for Batman to talk to her two nights after is worse)...it's still watchable but not something I'd see in a theater.

Barbara goes on to her gay co-worker about how her "yoga instructor" is someone she's "seeing" but not having sex with.

During an argument between Batgirl and Batman, Batgirl knocks Batman over and just kisses him and he's totally okay with it...then you have the sex scene from that GIF.

Not long after that, you get Babs saying to her co-worker that she and her instructor had sex and he won't talk to her.

So then you get the video scene after that one where she's just trying to get him to talk to her after having sex two nights prior.

She fucks up and almost kills a guy so she gives up being Batgirl.

Then she gets shot by Joker, pictures are taken like in the comics.

The rest of the movie is pretty spot on with the comic (I haven't read the comic in about a year, mind you)

I would not go see it in theaters. It's awkward, it makes Babs look needy as gently caress for her "instructor", it doesn't empower her in any way. She's just "in the way" a lot.

This is not written to put her in a positive light...is that really what the writer said? Because no, it's not true.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Does it still end with Bats and Joker sharing a laff? Because that's a million times worse with the new narrative added in.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ThermoPhysical posted:

Just finished watching The Killing Joke and, while it's not absolutely god-awful (though the sex scene is awkward as gently caress...Barbara begging for Batman to talk to her two nights after is worse)...it's still watchable but not something I'd see in a theater.

Barbara goes on to her gay co-worker about how her "yoga instructor" is someone she's "seeing" but not having sex with.

During an argument between Batgirl and Batman, Batgirl knocks Batman over and just kisses him and he's totally okay with it...then you have the sex scene from that GIF.

Not long after that, you get Babs saying to her co-worker that she and her instructor had sex and he won't talk to her.

So then you get the video scene after that one where she's just trying to get him to talk to her after having sex two nights prior.

The rest of the movie is pretty spot on with the comic (I haven't read the comic in about a year, mind you)

I would not go see it in theaters. It's awkward, it makes Babs look needy as gently caress for her "instructor", it doesn't empower her in any way. She's just "in the way" a lot.

This is not written to put her in a positive light...is that really what the writer said? Because no, it's not true.

It really genuinely sounds like they wanted to give Barbara more of a presence but couldn't think of one that wasn't "well she wants to bang Bruce!"

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

It really genuinely sounds like they wanted to give Barbara more of a presence but couldn't think of one that wasn't "well she wants to bang Bruce!"

"Quick, what are some things women do?"

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

ThermoPhysical posted:

Though even then if it was that if it keeps going with the plot as written then that dumb subplot doesn't even get an ending or any payoff at all. So what were they thinking?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Jack Gladney posted:

"Quick, what are some things women do?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSUc7fZfqRg&t=33s

It's a documentary.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
So agency is having Barbra be such an emotion controlled wreck after Batman takes her to the bonezone and ignores her she fucks up crimefighting so bad that she retires?

Was this pitched as a satire or loving something?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CharlestheHammer posted:

Though even then if it was that if it keeps going with the plot as written then that dumb subplot doesn't even get an ending or any payoff at all. So what were they thinking?

They were thinking about how much they like to jerk off to cartoons, because outside of that, there is literally no reason to do what they did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

ThermoPhysical posted:

X-O posted:

It's like you think the situation can't get worse, but then DC takes that as a challenge.

Keep on upping that ante.

• Locked thread