Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

To be fair WB cartoons were kind-of a juggernaut back in the 90s relative to any other cartoon studio I can think of. I know they had the Spielberg brand and likely some of the funding/creative counsel, and this was back around Jurassic Park/Schindler's List when Spielberg was on a serious commercial and arguably creative peak. They were the only major cartoons I've ever known to get serious airplay alongside "adult" shows-- namely Tiny Toons and B:TAS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

jscolon2.0 posted:

"We make SWORD look like SHIELD, and SHIELD look like the Post Office".

As someone who marathoned EMH in the background during late-night studying for finals SHIELD does act like the drat Post Office in the EMH universe. At least it seemed like they had no problem making their presence known whenever they wanted.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Hulk was all Professor-like for the 1996 Marvel Vs. DC crossover, which featured a lot of major characters in weird "not their iconic version" periods:

Ben Reilly vs. Leather Jacket Superboy (cause they're both clones!)
Mullet Superman vs. Professor Hulk
Jubilee vs. Tim Drake
Thor in.... well.... Edit: THIS

Thank god JLA/Avengers happened when it did--right before the Kelly run of JLA and Avengers:Disassembled kicked into high gear and all the major 00s changes started but after all the weird stupid poo poo from the late 90s was reset back to "normal". I'll forever maintain that JLA/Avengers was and is likely the best crossover comic that will ever happen, warts and all.

mind the walrus fucked around with this message at 18:20 on May 8, 2012

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Cliff Racer posted:

Impossible odds of one hit kill mooks?

At least they're playing up Surtur well and actually getting me to give a poo poo about the Nine Realms. This has been a very good week for fans of Walt Simonson's Thor.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

solidrooster posted:

There's a really cool Apocalypse story arc that happens in the last couple of seasons that makes the show pretty good.

I love that they actually make Apocalypse look vaguely Egyptian. He's tied with Mr. Sinister as "I can't believe they came up with such an awesome concept for a villain and tied it to that design" for X-Men villains.

Timeless Appeal posted:

X-men: Evolution is a pretty good show that has some of the lamest moments I've ever seen on TV. I had to look at the youtube description to make sure this clip was not a fan-edit-thing. It's actually worse than I remember.

Y'know, I hate that superheroes tend to be a "gross boy's club" as much as anyone, but if you're going to try and branch out the market you should at least make sure it kind-of fits within the genre your original market is. I swear whoever mandated that had to have been the same higher-up who wanted Spyke and evidently based all their creative decisions on the 90s Burger King Kid's Club and TRL circa 1999.

quote:

It's still totally decent in its early seasons and was the best Marvel cartoon before Spectacular came along. The real shift in the series is the season two finale. When the show starts, it's this weird prequel to a non-existent X-men Universe. You get stuff like Arcade as a teenager, Senator Kelly as principal, and mutants not being known by the public. The latter really takes the bite out of the X-men.

The season 2 finale ends with mutants becoming public and the show becomes a lot more interesting after that and it just keeps getting better till the series's end.

There are also specific gems in the series like the Captain America episode where Cap never says a line of dialogue. Above all, my favorite thing about the show is Cyclops. After being hosed over in every single adaptation, this show has a great handle on the character. They get that he's a bit of a lame goody-two-shoes without being boring or a dick. They also do some interesting things with his relationship with Wolverine.

A-Men. The show has some serious flaws but what it gets right is worth checking out. I'm totally with you on Cyclops too.

mind the walrus fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Jun 29, 2012

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

SlothfulCobra posted:

I will never believe that anything without a mustache is General Ross.

Same. Big mystery identity my rear end, Loeb pulled that one straight out of his rear end (for a change, amirite?)

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Being the man who literally sold Spider-man's marriage to the devil does have a karmic price.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I'm going to go out on a huge speculative limb and guess that because that MTV Spider-man show was so "edgy" in its animation style (i.e: poo poo but costly and time-consuming) they pushed to keep any characters they already animated, and they animated the Kingpin before it was confirmed that his rights lay with Fox.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

PicklePants posted:

There was an episode where Mesmero made Spidey swap brains with Wolverine which I thought was funny. If anything because Spidey couldn't control the claws and stabbed himself repeatedly.

...I could just be very easy to amuse. There was also an episode with Throg.

So they just part and parcel took a relatively old Bendis story and gave it a Mesmero spin? Doesn't sound that good...

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

:qq: My fictional vicarious promiscuity :qq:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Unsurprisingly both examples you listed were effectively scrapped JL/JLU scripts. WB animation had made it very plain that the only reason they make animated adaptations is as nerd-bait and that they aren't interested in actually using their medium in any way

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I'm not seeing a problem here....

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Uh, dude Alan Scott has always had a purple and green cape-- Proof. Did you mean "red shirt"?

E- Then yeah, that's obviously Alan Scott. Thanks for the clarification.

mind the walrus fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Oct 15, 2012

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Chaltab posted:

Oh. Well then I have no idea. I thought the Elite movie was fantastic. I haven't actually read the story it's based on, though. Maybe it's just like how some people I know who'd never read Watchmen didn't notice the problems in the Watchmen movie adaptation.

The original story isn't infallible, but yeah I can see how the current DCAU philosophy would neuter a lot of what made it enjoyable. I hate to use the word "grit", but the story had some, and not in the "realistic" sense of the word. I'll check the flick out and report back, I hope I'm wrong and the Elite is decent.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Ok, watching The Elite now. Going to jot down and edit my thoughts on it.

Superman's Chin is way too overdone. Whoever does Lois is phenomenal, and once the story gets going the script and Newbern's voice acting are much better. The start was terrible, although opening with a cereal box version of a Fleischer cartoon was genius.

The modifications to the story make perfect sense. The original story works by dumping you right into the Elite acting as thinly-veiled exports of The Authority, but having a build-up was worthwhile, especially since you do get the sense that none of the Elite dislike Superman fundamentally.

Still, the opening dialogue and lines between Clark and Lois are terrible, and a lot of the voice acting is pretty terrible. Hat and Cold-Cast in particular are terrible, and I imagine Manchester Black's VA is toxic if you're from the British Isles. The philosophizing is also really ham-handed, and does a really bad job at setting up the questions the plot is about-- why don't we kill repeat offenders, what is the proper line for retaliation, where is the line between taking the high ground and being spineless?

Also legitimately laughing at the Superman robot just touching down in a London Alley and lifting a fetal Lois off into the sky. So wonderfully goofy.

Pa Kent's voice actor is terrible. He sounds like the Colonel from Metal Gear Solid and probably is, but drat is he not suited for voices that aren't the Colonel or Ben 10's creepy Uncle/Grandfather/Walrus (I don't watch Ben 10).

Kind-of wish they wouldn't confuse use of the word "rear end" with "adult." UN guy's kid "Terrence" is such an irritating poo poo. At least it's using Atomic Skull correctly as a heavyweight, although I wish they'd use a different set of heavyweights, though I get why they use him.

Oh poo poo UN guy died. Good on the flick for introducing that. Coupled with Hat's Terracotta Samurai (lolwut) I have to admit this is at least leagues above the last few adaptations. The whole "kill Skull" bit is well-done as well. Again, I see why they used him.

A pity the "male gaze" is on full display. Even when showing Black's sister it focuses on her low-cut top first and foremost.

Jesus christ please hire some more voice actors movie. I'm sick of hearing the Colonel. "No one wants to admit they took a narcissistic, angry teenager and tried to make a Superman out of him."

Hmm... it's a bit hard to agree with Black's characterization. On one hand they keep the Brit-punk edge that made him such a wonderful reflection of all the Brit-writers doing dark-and-angry-punk-heroes schtick in the 80s-present day, but on the other they make him "work up" to being a unilateral rear end in a top hat. Doesn't quite jibe, even though both work when viewed on their own.

Also please stop making "Menagerie is a slut" jokes. I know it's stock to have a femme fatale like her and at least they push the boundaries more than a kid's show, but it's loving old.

Jesus Bialya has a bomb-rear end military. Though I guess if anything would get the US to stop spending like loving crazy and amp up production in other countries it'd be a force like Superman. Want a gif of Superman punting the jets into the field. That poo poo was awesome.

Cold-Cast looks way more like Uncle Ruckus from The Boondocks than I want to admit. It's got to be the eye.

The scene with Lois and Clark before dawn is very accurate to the comics and thankfully the VAs bring out the strength of the script, especially Lois.

loving hah, they show up in Fish-Lexx to the fight.

The final fight is enjoyable. Newman really isn't phoning it in, although a line or two is flubbed because frankly he was never the best at delivering Super-speeches. The use of Superman as a higher weight class is very good. Although using Superman robots is very much a "ok, why don't you use those ALL THE TIME?" question. The UN kid is annoying too. Nice flat-top as well, he looks straight out of 1992.

Also BAM end out of nowhere. I mean I get there isn't much else to do after that, but still, it feels abrupt. Still dig the magazine cut-out vibe to the credits though.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Well at least now the Amazing Spider-Ham's style has fair representation at DC... I guess...

Is this an early April Fool's thing?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

You just made me imagine Loeb throwing his weight around in front of Whedon and Whedon simply stonewalls him into submission. I like my imagination.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Yeah the MTV Spider-man show tanked because of the Uncanny Valley animation and an insanely long production time. I mostly remember it now as something Neil Patrick Harris did between Starship Troopers and Harold&Kumar.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

SirDan3k posted:

Depends on how much you overreact to animu sight gags and jokey one off episodes, if you can tolerate them Teen Titans is almost as good as JLU.

This cannot be overstated. It's much more kid-oriented than JL/JLU, and that's saying a lot, but when it gets serious it honors its DC roots and earns its place at the same table as JL/JLU.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

TwoPair posted:

I'd say much less, but I'd also say the jokey one-off episode thing is the real problem, if you're going in from a series like Young Justice or JLU, where there's a real plot going on and a continuity to keep track of (if you like that sort of thing). TT features very little in the way of a running plot/narrative for its first few seasons. (Then in the last couple, poo poo gets real). Basically, it's a very different beast from every other superhero cartoon and I love it for that.

Actually given how poo poo like JLU/YJ tends to be the exception and not the rule, I'd say Teen Titans is a little more typical of your average superhero cartoon. Y'know, where for the first few seasons continuity and plot threads take a backseat but around season 3 or so poo poo GETS REAL as the audience/writing staff have been whittled down to the hardcore base. But I digress.

I actually liked the Teen Titans Go footage. It does look cheap, but whatever, it's cute and it's kid-friendly and that was always that particular version of the brand's M.O. Glad to see they aren't reinventing the wheel whilst still being competent.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Yeah how would that even make sense? Who would be giving it? Would the answer be involved. Sounds like a terrible name.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Isn't that the one that's fundamentally "OMG A NEW BIG BAD GUY WE'VE NEVER HEARD OF IS COMING AND HE'S EVEN WORSE THAN DOOMSDAY AND DARKSEID COMBINED" followed by a shock death of Aquaman?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Oh well. I do remember the Young Justice tie-in was pretty nice since it just dumped the kids on Apokalips and said "have fun you scamps" before setting the nightmare fuel on high.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Which was almost a decade ago.

E- Although didn't he do Batman in a few features? I know he was in the Earth-2 and the Loeb-Adaptations.

mind the walrus fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Apr 12, 2013

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Season One of JL is easily one of the weakest stretches in the entire DCAU. The entire motto for that season was "it's good enough" while the subsequent season's motto was "good enough isn't good enough." Just stay with it. The season finale is actually quite fun, and then the season opener for Season Two is immediately a vast improvement in nearly every way, especially if you're a fan of Superman TAS.

The only complaint I could ever address is that in the JGA episode, the reason the kid doesn't want to attack the heroes is because they're still his heroes and he doesn't want to give up the fantasy. That's about it. Thank god they didn't use the actual JSA either, since Black Canary and Wildcat get some good episodes later on. A pity we never got Alan Scott, Jay Garrick, or Golden-Age Atom, but whatever.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Ignore the Parallax stuff (which was all blamed on an evil space bug) and Hal is really, really boring.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

It gave us a lot of good stuff though. DCAU Nightwing, that episode with Batgirl falling onto the Commissioner's car, the bitching Scarecrow redesign (with Jeffry Combs voice :allears:), and that episode where Superman had to pretend to be Batman.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

No disagreements there, just saying that calling it bad (or casting the original B:TAS in a rose-colored light) is disingenuous.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Semper Fudge posted:

The animation in Avengers Assemble is unreal in how bad it is. I seriously cannot believe a cartoon can look like this in 2013.

10-to-1 they'll justify it as being a "throwback" to the 'cheap' animation of the 60s serials.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

The Blackest Goon posted:

Curious: Are kids really as stupid as jeph leob thinks? If so, then how the gently caress did shows like Batman TAS and the 90s xmen show last for so long?

It was a different world in the 90s, honestly. The internet was nascent to most people and morning junk food cartoons were still a thing. Couple that with syndication deals for afternoon time slots and first run shows on Saturdays and it seems like it was a pretty profitable racket for TV advertisers. Hell B:TAS was popular/acclaimed enough to get prime time premieres on Fox once or twice.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

It's a little obvious and "on the nose" to me.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

Well, they have to compete with Ultimate Spider-man for the title of "superhero Family Guy".

Somewhere there are creative teams brainstorming ideas that'd give most of us a stroke.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Opposing Farce posted:

Are any of the Marvel shows good to watch as something of an introduction to the more obscure characters/elements of the Marvel universe? One of the things I really enjoyed about JLU and Brave and the Bold was how they touched on a lot of cool B-tier DC characters I probably never would have heard of otherwise, and I'm wondering if there's anything that might scratch a similar itch for Marvel stuff (even if it's not necessarily as good as those shows were since that's admittedly a pretty high bar).

EMH fits the bill. It's definitely weaker than JLU, especially in its characterization of Tony Stark, but it's easily the best primer for the Marvel Universe in animated form around. The early season one arc involving the four major supervillain prisons--all canon references to prisons from the comics--is a goldmine.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

A little bit of both. B:TAS managed to take Mr. Freeze and The Mad Hatter and rework them into interesting villains, but on the other hand when you start to go below Batman's C-List Gallery the material you're working with just doesn't have as easy a potential as even the Mad Hatter.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

It's extra hip. Y'know, for kids!

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Casting Steve Blum as Darkseid is going to be torture for anyone who can recognize his voice--which won't be hard because he does a voice in seemingly every other animated project out there--with a multiplier of sadness added on because it's not Michael Ironside's Darkseid.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Oh good what Agents of SHIELD's stellar run was missing so far was even more of the Midas Touch of Loeb.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

One thing EMH totally doesn't get enough credit for was the way it started--showcasing 4 major supervillain prisons, each with a different "type", and then showcasing how they all fell apart and caused the Avengers to ramp up their initiative.

I'd like to see that in one of these newer shows which seem to respect intelligent plotting the same way I respect stink bugs.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Dacap posted:

The od dthing is Marvel has a perfect franchise tailor made for kids cartoons or a live action film with Power Pack. I'm pretty surprised Disney hasn't taken advantage of that yet.

Aside from that one 00s series has anyone given the slightest gently caress about Power Pack in the last 25 years?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Fair point, but at least GoTG had a fairly successful series and presence in the 616, including crossovers into EMH and the like. What has Power Pack done or shown up in in the last two decades that even hardcore comic fans cared about?

• Locked thread