Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
How is Tintin's voice in it? As someone who grew up on the Adventures of Tintin show that Nick used to air, hearing that child voice they gave him in the commercials was jarring, and not in a good way either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
He was on JLU a bit. I think he might have even had a speaking role one or two episodes. Either way they certainly showed his powers.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Codependent Poster posted:

Spider-Man has always been Marvel's favorite character to team up with other characters, partly because he can have chemistry with anyone, and partly because he's their most popular character.

Marvel published a series that was exclusively Spider-Man team-ups. He is the perfect character to put with other characters.

Spiderman is the perfect character to interact with on a limited basis, like his friendship with the Fantastic Four and his team up book. But he only works so well like that if the team up is not permanent. Ultimately it is best to keep Spidey on a street level that doesn't work all that well when the avengers are tagging along.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Dacap posted:

So a few sites now have been reporting an interview with Loeb that doesn't sound very good for the future of EMH. There's not a third season currently in production and all he will admit when asked about it is that they have big plans in the future for the Avengers franchise. It sounds like this will be meeting the same fate as Spectacular Spider-man, axed because the production predates the Disney acquisition and it will likely be replaced by a more kid-friendly show.

Hmm, wasn't EMH a Disney production? It airs on one of the Disney channels at least, I am pretty sure.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Only if you choose not to count a ton of shows. TNBA, the original Justice League, Teen Titans, Static, etc.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Herald, one of the later Titans. I find the time skip to be dumb, but then again its Cartoon Network, maybe the team felt they'd have to rush through if they wanted to finish telling whatever story they came up with before the show undergoes cancellation/mandatory post-52 episode retooling.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

TwoPair posted:

I guess the one silver lining here is that there's a super-small shot that maybe they'll put this new show on CN and I won't have to buy Disney XD or Amazon season passes anymore.

This will not happen. Sorry, Warner Bros owns DC, Disney owns Marvel, their shows will be airing on their channels.

Anyways, I think its pretty obvious that Loeb, or his boss, or EMH's low ratings is responsible for this change. They are talking about hopping off the movie's strength and making one amalgamated universe but that is exactly what EMH itself was supposed to be doing. It was made and aired with the Avengers' debut in mind, it was set up to be universe building because Disney wanted to be in things "for the long run" and actually get young boys watching its young boys channel. I think the change away from episodic story-telling was one where Loeb in particular was the call maker. In this case I'd almost agree with him, except that it should have been the other way around. One season of monster of the week where you get to know the characters without all this "Who's on the team? Who's off the team?" stuff, then one season where there is an over-arching storyline. Though I would say that how things actually ended up turning up (ending with stand-alone episodes after a bunch of plot-heavy ones) is just a bit more of Jeph's reverse Midas touch in action.

edit: Balon, as hard as this is to believe I think we were still on YJ's first season up until invasion, with the 26 episodes commissioned at once.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

TwoPair posted:

Did the show have bad ratings? I thought it was doing pretty well.

There was some ratings chat early on and it seemed to be doing poorly. Maybe it improved in the months I've not heard anything about it, but since the show is undergoing half a season of executive meddling and then cancellation I sort of doubt it.

Now as to Batman... man that chin.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I actually really like how slow paced the show is going. It makes a lot more sense to me than having every episode being some massive thing like in EMH.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Ms. Martian did very, very little before YJ. I think someone pointed out that she'd yet to even appear in the same panel with Martian Manhunter in any comic issues when the series was first announced.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Uh, this is really incorrect. Miss Martian has been around since 2006 and was used in Teen Titans. YJ premiered 2010. She's actually done LESS since the series started.

Existing in one comic for three or four years is not a lot. Heck I don't think she was even in the Teen Titans all that time, though I must admit to not having read Teen Titans back then because of quality issues. I remember a lot of people scratched their heads when she was announced on the team though.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

McSpanky posted:

It's a little different here. Once in the first season, Miss Martian was psychically assaulted by a villain and had six months of memories temporarily erased (along with the rest of the team), and in the rematch barely defeated the villain with the help of one of her teammates. Later in the season, after she'd learned a bit more about her own abilities, she went mano-y-mano with him and ended up reducing him to a drooling vegetable. That was kinda brutal, but understandable as a combination of a personal vendetta and her powers getting out of hand in the heat of the moment.

Then in the second season she did it again, except this time it definitely wasn't an accident, and it wasn't a do-or-die struggle against a powerful psychic foe. She just mind-crushed an alien general seemingly because she could, to remove him from the picture without straight up killing him. It's implied that it wasn't the first time she did it so casually, and also that she may not be fully aware of why this is a bad thing.

You did leave out the part about her doing it those last two times to gather intelligence from beings who you couldn't just go into normally.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I thought he was always drawn like 616 Fury, except black instead of white. It was a bizarre choice, in my opinion.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Wally did a lot of quivering about continuing to be Kid Flash back in the eighties before Barry died. It could be setup for that.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

muscles like this? posted:

It pretty much has to be another Scarab considering he destroyed the golem with exactly the same sonic weapon that Jaime was using.

No, they used sonic waves to destroy it, we never got a look at the weapon, or at least I don't remember seeing it. It could easily just be some deus ex bullshit device from one of the Light's humans.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

jscolon2.0 posted:

The Intergang members were also hung up on a tree by the same restraints that Blue Beetle uses.

Because Blue Beetle himself hung them up there. Remember the suit recommending he shoot them through the bone for a better chance to keep them captive. The surprise was that someone mindwiped them while they were tied up.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I actually didn't like the latest Avengers episode. If you take away comics history and knowledge and just had it as Thor going out and meeting someone it was a seriously flat and boring story.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

I couldn't disagree more. I thought that was the single best episode yet. I especially liked the subtlety of Sif's attraction to Beta Ray Bill, and all of the heroes facing down impossible odds.

Impossible odds of one hit kill mooks?

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Spiderdrake posted:

Well, he's something of a bad rear end. He's a Thor level hero with an interesting origin story that has been in some neat stories. He's also pretty visually distinct, at least as far as hominid aliens go, while looking suitably Thor like as well. I think he's sort of neat, even if I found that episode sort of lacking.

I should point out that I, too, don't think there is anything wrong with Beta Ray Bill. I just think the episode was crap.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Wonder Woman showed up on Birdman too, or at least her legs did. WB owns DC as well as all those old HB shows that they used to make fun of on Birdman. You are probably thinking of why they used an original character, Black Vulcan, on Superfriends instead of Black Lightning. And if you guessed that the reason was "so they wouldn't have to credit or pay BL's creator" then congrats, you are right.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Sort of, I think it was adapted from an Atom comic to be honest.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Part of the problem is that the Light deus exes like a motherfucker. Its one of the subtle parts of JLU that is sorely missing in both this show and Teen Titans that who won or who lost made sense as more than just "we need this group to win to progress the story" while still putting together a competent overarching plot.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
And thus Marvel's first attempt at universe building in cartoons comes to an end. Thanks a lot Jeph Loeb.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Waterhaul posted:

By cancelling a series so that they can do some actual universe building? The same thing that made their film series successful?

EMH was a follow on to Wolverine and the X-Men and fit those characters in from time to time, as well as putting in the Fantastic Four multiple times and other heroes in one episode high lights. But I guess that isn't "universe building" then?

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
The premise reeks of Exec demands of the sort Cartoon Network was famous for last decade but I hope that once the series gets going the team will be able to take it in whichever direction they want.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

muscles like this? posted:

I hope this means they've finally stopped being so anal about different versions of the same character appearing on multiple shows.

Pretty sure they have, Young Justice and Brave and the Bold used different versions of the same characters, plus the TT Go! shorts and Green Lantern series, (along with all the other DC Nation stuff.)

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Cardboard Box A posted:

We totally need Teen Titans back because of how unrelentingly grimdark YJ has become, what with the only prominent female character from S1 becoming an unrepentant mind rapist and all. TT at least was only grimdark for the season finales.

Also, WHO WAS MR. X?

Artemis not a prominent character?

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I think the first confirmed change Loeb made was in the Spiderman episode, where Spiderman's lines were redubbed with the voice actor from the other show. So anything before that was probably pre-Loeb and even then it would be another few before Loeb's horrid fingers would be able to get onto the episodes before animation (before which point only minor changes to plot and script are possible.)

Gaz-L posted:

If 'clusterfuck' means 'continuity', then you'd best tell every anime that ever caught on with kids, as well as Teen Titans, Gargoyles, Ben 10 and pretty much every other not-purely comedy-themed cartoon show for kids in the last 10 years.

Stop right there, season one really did have a clusterfuck plot. As someone who never really paid attention to Marvel I had a bit of trouble following it when I'd never had trouble with any of those other shows (except Ben 10, which I haven't watched.) They fit in about three or four season's worth of plots into it and came out the worse for it. Now it might be a good thing when you view the show as only having had 39 episodes (before Loeb) to do actual plot, but the simple fact is that it made the show confusing and hard to follow while turning what should have been serious players into basically monster of the weeks. You definitely wouldn't have seen Teen Titans or Gargoyles plotted like EMH has been. Granted season two has been much better so far, with the team really finding their groove. Which of course makes it a shame that the show is cancelled.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

notthegoatseguy posted:

The Avengers have never just openly embraced someone who was previously a villain, or even someone who operated in the shadows. They were all initially suspicious of Hawkeye (Former SHIELD, prisoner in the cube) and Black Panther (spying on the Avengers) as well as the original hulk.

I'm pretty sure they had to due to the no on-going plots rule and a need to wrap it up quickly. Wouldn't be surprised if "MoA" was one of one of the older writers who didn't want his name associated with the later eps. I just noticed it a few days ago and wondered how long it had been around.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

TwoPair posted:

Nick Fury turned into Sam Jackson in what is probably the worst story of the year,
Haha, how on earth did they do that? Anyways movie/comic synergy has been around for awhile. Remember the last time Spiderman got organic web shooters?

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Happy Hippo posted:

Remember how when Disney bought Marvel they were all, "Nope, we won't tell them how to do their jobs. Don't worry about it, guys."

Yeah.

Yeah what? This stuff was probably driven by Marvel itself, just like their rush to cash in on the Spiderman films was six or seven years ago.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

PicklePants posted:

Why? They got Justice League: Unlimited made just by showing Cartoon Network the toy line and how many new characters they were adding when CN was looking to cancel, because of how much the show cost to produce.

No they didn't, CN just wanted the show to be retooled in some way, as they always did after 52 episodes. According to people who worked on the show all they had to do was add Aquaman and CN would have been fine with it. The action figure stuff comes from WB not giving a drat about the show after the figures were out and thus, due to internal politics, the show being canned in favor of CN Studios projects.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I don't really remember them having problems using Aquaman characters, but it wouldn't really have been surprising. If I remember correctly, JLU's version of Black Manta didn't show up until season three.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Because JL was greenlit before The Batman was, so there were no Batman shows airing at the time.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Mister Kingdom posted:

:confused:

Is that next week? This week was some dragon show.

It was JT followed by Dragons, from what I've heard.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
It was always cancelled at that time, those episodes were just trying to show what happened in the future in the former case and trying to wrap up what were typically agreed to be the best episodes in the later.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

So as someone who loving adores Spectacular Spider-Man and thinks it's far and away the best the character has ever been outside of the comics, is Earth's Mightiest Heroes anywhere near as good? I'm not much of an Avengers person (though I loved the movie) and I'm down for a good animated superhero show that doesn't have Paul Dini or Greg Weisman attached to it.

No, it has terrible pacing. But its not outright bad and has basically all of the core Avengers showing up in a pretty similar form to their comics counterparts, so I guess its a first for that.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
It was supposed to be in season three but they had to drop it when that was cancelled because they couldn't fit it in along with everything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Adam Strange posted:

DKSA is a "Batman is AWESOME!" comic without the artifice of being a Super Serious Story like DKR was. It owns and I could see it working pretty well in animated form.

Is DKR Part 2 much better than Part 1? I didn't hate the first half, it didn't seem like anything that spectacular either.

You get to see Joker act like a maniac and kill a bunch of people. Thats what people want out of DC animated movies, right?

• Locked thread