Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
You forgot to mention in the OP that Spectacular Spider-Man's theme song is possibly the catchiest earworm designed by man. Seriously, I dare you to watch that video only once.

Also, what's the verdict on the X-Manime? I heard that of the other Marvel anime projects, apparently Wolverine was passable and Iron Man was a disaster. Apparently the voice work is meh, but is it worth checking out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Ugh, are you kidding me? April? I thought it was supposed to come back some time in February... God, Disney/Marvel, why? Sure, ripping off DC Nation and making your own little interstitials/shorts is a decent idea and I'm cool with that, but perpetual delays are not a good thing to copy from DC! You'd think they might take advantage of the fact that Young Justice is scheduled by insane people and put the show out with zero superhero related competition, but nope, better make sure that any kids who liked it forget it existed entirely before season 2 comes out.

I get wanting to launch in sync with USM and closer to the Avengers movie, but :cmon:. I'm not a TV or marketing executive, but this just seems... dumb.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Oh I've seen it. Can't wait for season 2.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Yonic Symbolism posted:

For those who actually like the show, the hiatus for Young Justice apparently has been extended to March.

At this rate, Legend of Korra will air before Young Justice season 2.

I'm not shocked. Hell, I've just about given up. I'm starting to think Young Justice season 1 is a mass hallucination. Some sort of Candle Cove thing where we all just dreamed it up.

I'm not a network executive, an animator, or anybody involved in TV, but between the recent delays on both Avengers and YJ, I just don't get it.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Sanschel posted:

Sensational.

Web of.

poo poo, I messed it up.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Marvel just put out a new trailer for Ultimate Spider-Man. Includes a better look at the Spider-MobileCycle, a look at some of the team-ups and the Iron Spider suit! :allears:

e: I'm still not sold on Bell's Spider-Man voice.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Mar 16, 2012

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Wait a minute. How are Ant-Man and Yellowjacket both there? Unless they're bringing O'Grady in, which just seems odd, since he doesn't really seem the kids' show type. Also, super-pumped for War Machine. :woop:

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Mar 29, 2012

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
My only problem with the humor is that the show refuses to not spell out the joke. I get that this is supposed to be for a younger audience, but give kids a little credit, they're not stupid. Peter doesn't need to freeze time like Zack Morris every time there's a gag to point out that a gag just happened YOU LAUGH NOW. There are a few other things that bugged me, like the big title-card style introductions to everyone. It's another one of those things that just felt unnecessary, hammering the point home like kids won't remember who Nova is unless they slap his name up on-screen. It really seems unnecessary, when you compare it to Spectacular Spider-Man, where they do the same kind of thing... but in 30 seconds of the theme song. I haven't totally written off the show, but it definitely hasn't won me over like Avengers did in the first couple of episodes.

Also, I know it's accurate to the comics, but Ultimate Peter Parker's birdhair will never not look ridiculous to me.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
What's a guy (without Disney XD) gotta do to see some Avengers? It's not on Netflix or iTunes. And via some miracle, it doesn't look like the thing's leaked on to any more dubious sites.

I just wanna see some Doom...

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of Young Justice, has it gotten any better? I haven't caught up since its return, but I can't bring myself to care all that much.

Same question for GL, actually. Granted, I only watched the first episode, but wasn't really wowed there either.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I think something should be said for the fact that Janet is very public about being the Wasp. I mean, John Q. Marvel-Citizen may not really know Janet Van Dyne or Steve Rogers, but at least they can put a face to the name. Spider-Man wears a mask. Anyone could be under there. Why... HE COULD BE A MENACE :jjjsay:

But seriously, the Avengers' identities (as of now) are all public aren't they? Except for nobody knowing what the hell the Hulk is, and maybe Black Panther.

ToastyPotato posted:

I don't really think it was ever bad, aside from Meg'an's horrible writing in the earlier episodes, which was toned down by the halfway point of the season. It's definitely one of the better DC shows put out.

Huh, guess I'll give it another shot then.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Also, The Wasp is seriously just the worst.

Maybe in comics, but I like the animated version. She seems so infectiously pumped to be an Avenger. Everybody else treats it like a job. Well, except for Hulk, he seems pretty excited to get into fights as well.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I always thought it was a little bit of both.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Suben posted:

Somebody from ComicBookMovie said that he's had inside sources who have "confirmed" that Loeb's plan is to replace it with a new Avengers series set in the same universe as the USM cartoon and that Loeb wants every episode to be stand alone and self-contained. I have no clue how reliable/good a site CBM is though so it could be/probably is bullshit.

It sounds like bullshit, but frankly, this is the company that decided the best thing to do with a well-received critical darling was to wait nearly a whole year before releasing a second season for no discernible reason. Plus, I'm always gonna be antsy as long as Loeb is the guy deciding what's good enough to get on TV.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

bobkatt013 posted:

There is a reason. They made it so the show came out around the same time as the movie.

I get that, but it seems like a much better solution would be to run it in half-seasons. I mean, I don't really know anything about TV programming, but it seems like there must be a better solution than total radio silence.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Alright, USM has Taskmaster next week. If a show featuring Taskmaster can't win me over, I don't think anything it does will.

In other show news, I am really digging Young Justice, which is never something I thought I'd be saying back when they went on their endless hiatus. The last episode did feel a little rushed ("Oh no, the Justice League's possessed, good thing we whipped up a cure in all of five minutes off-screen!"), but man, that Robin/Superboy vs. Batman/Superman fight was pretty drat rad.

Oh, and Avengers was awesome, but I don't think that needs reiterating.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Somehow I totally missed Lagoon Boy even appearing in the Atlantis episode. Still... Lagoon Boy. Man, was that an out-of-nowhere team decision.

I'm kind of surprised Nightwing and Batman seem to get along so well, since I thought the entire reason Dick became Nightwing was because of some spat between him and Bruce. At least, that's how it was in TNBA.

I was a little apprehensive about this whole timeskip, but it seems to be pretty great so far.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

XboxPants posted:

He's been a fan-favorite of mine for a while, and honestly he doesn't get the recognition he deserves for how important he's been to the Marvel story. An "Iron Man"-level smash hit could really do wonders for him. Ant-Man's such a lovely name, and he's got so many anyway, maybe just call it "Pym".

Well, "Giant-Man" and "Yellowjacket" aren't much better. Crappy superhero names are just another part of the Sisyphean nature of being Hank Pym.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

XboxPants posted:

Who ever liked anything about Scott Lang?

Well, I liked him in this most recent episode of Avengers, but then, much has been discussed about EMH's miraculous ability to make Ant-Men likable characters.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Lobok posted:

The DCAU, which has warped fan expectations of how long a series or universe series usually runs, was an extreme outlier in the animation world, at least here in the West. That kind of thing doesn't happen often, but if it did it would require exactly the type of amalgamating that Disney/Marvel is doing right now with bringing the different heroes under one house, one studio, and one universe.

While that's true, I kind of don't see why amalgamating requires a whole new show. So far, the only real continuity problem between USM and EMH is grown up Cage and Iron Fist showing up in EMH last week. And really, if you just never have them show up again, than you can just pretend it never happened. The only other problem I could see is if they're going to drastically change Hulk when he gets his show, but still, it doesn't seem like an insurmountable obstacle. I guess I'm just a little peeved because I finally got fed up with USM this week and would much rather see it canceled than see other shows have to change to fit its status quo.

I guess the one silver lining here is that there's a super-small shot that maybe they'll put this new show on CN and I won't have to buy Disney XD or Amazon season passes anymore.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Cliff Racer posted:

Anyways, I think its pretty obvious that Loeb, or his boss, or EMH's low ratings is responsible for this change.

Did the show have bad ratings? I thought it was doing pretty well.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
e: Never mind, asked a question, realized the answer immediately after clicking Post :doh:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Die Laughing posted:

Vibe doesn't have electricity powers. I'm sure Geoff Johns took Vibe as a personal challenge. I'd like some more Static, but we see how his last series turned out.

Well, apparently his last series was a horror story of editorial interference. Presumably if competent writers took the character, then he could be salvaged.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
One of my favorite parts of Blackest Night came right at the beginning when Hal and Barry thought they had beaten an undead J'onn only for him to come back and say something to the extent of "I'm as strong as Superman. Why does everyone always forget that?"

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Al Baron posted:

That will do, but I'm disappointed they couldn't bring back Micheal Ironside for it.

God, I would buy three copies if they got Ironside. He's the perfect voice actor for grizzled hardasses. He does the "it's an operating table" line so perfectly.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Sanschel posted:

Yesterday's GL ended on a happy note, immediately soured by YJ's downer of an ending (Jaime's losing his best friend, Apache Chief, Jr).

I like the fact that they made the Apache Chief family name Longshadow after the Apache Chief knockoff from JLU.

e: Also, I thought DC didn't own Apache Chief, which was the reason he never appeared in comics and got to show up on Harvey Birdman.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Gaz-L posted:

OK, if what I've just read is true, and one of Loeb's first calls as head of Marvel Animation/TV, was to redub Spider-Man's appearances in EMH with Bell, when Keaton did it originally, I'm back to hating him, from my usual mild ambivalence.

Oh, what? Goddammit. The sad part is that I'm not even mad, this is just the kind of bullshit I expect at this point.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Ugh, I get that it's designed to mesh with movie continuity more, but I'm gonna mourn the loss of Hawkeye's classic purple duds. Sure, it's a silly look, but it seems like there are less and less silly looks out there all the time, and garish costumes are one of my favorite parts of classic comics.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I'd be a lot more okay with that if Ultimate Spider-Man was less terrible.

Unless I missed a notice where it started being good.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Neat. I hope the series starts off precisely where the last one ended: with every single Titan prepared to beat the poo poo out of Dr. Light. Sounds like it's gonna have more of a humor focus though, which I guess is good. I guess it'll be the yin to Young Justice's yang. I just hope they don't go overboard, since "trying too hard to be funny" is pretty much my only complaint about Ultimate Spider-Man, and that was enough to turn me off to the entire show.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Die Laughing posted:

And the clusterfuck plot of EMH is probably why they're canceling the show. Disney wants a show for kids, not for man children like us.

How is the plot a clusterfuck? I'm not trying to be hostile, but I genuinely think it's pretty easy to grasp.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Well, love it or hate it, apparently Ultimate Spider-Man is here to stay.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Liar posted:

So does Avengers Assemble tie in directly with their Spiderman cartoon?

Presumably yes. In fact, if I recall, that was one of the reasons behind EMH's cancellation (the other being, of course, all that Loeb stuff).

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

thebardyspoon posted:

Is X-men Evolution any good? That was on while I wasn't watching cartoons at all so I completely missed it.

General consensus seems to be that the early seasons kind of suck, as they have too much high school drama and not enough superheroing, but the later seasons are actually pretty good.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
"Bring the team more in line with the movie universe." Well, bye Ant-Man/Wasp :(

e: Oh, and I guess we have to give Hawkeye his Ultimates costume because God forbid characters wear a different thing in different universes/forms of media.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Sex_Ferguson posted:

So when are te comics eventually going to be invaded by the movies? Because at this rate, all I can see is my love for Marvel cartoons dying because they wish to force the movies on everything and not let it just be its own thing. I shouldn't be surprised and being mad over superhero cartoons for children is silly, but dammit I just can't help it.

The comic invasion was months ago. Nick Fury turned into Sam Jackson in what is probably the worst story of the year, there's a book called Avengers Assemble out which has inspired much hate by ignoring pretty much any canon just to stick the movie team all on a book, and Hawkeye's in his movie suit.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Spiderdrake posted:

Coulson is just the strangest thing. I read the last battle scars book before seeing that film and when Coulson died on screen I think I blacked out for a minute at the complete insanity of putting him in a comic catching up with me. Did they not know? Are they just loving with me? What is this bullshit?

Maybe they figured Joss Whedon could make a movie without killing anybody and they'd have time to make Coulson more popular.

Those poor fools.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Darkwing Duck/Moon Knight is the crossover that was meant to happen, just because a crimefighting talking duck would definitely drive MK insane(r).

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I've always wanted to see what Harvey Birdman would have been like if someone sucked the humor right out of it.

The sad thing is that a show all about Marvel's D-List heroes and villains really has the potential to be good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
^^^ Yessss :allears:

Rustmouth Chafings posted:

Dark Knight Returns trailer is out.

Not feeling Robocop as Batman. Don't see why they didn't just go with Kevin Conroy.

Didn't Conroy say he was done doing Batman after Arkham City? Or was that just Hamill as Joker?

• Locked thread